HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 03, 2012, 09:34 AM
United Kingdom, Middlesbrough
Joined Aug 2011
59 Posts
So I finally got to maiden my modded SuperCub this morning. The three W's have been getting in the way up until now (Work, Weather, Wife) to be fair the Girlfriend doesn't give me grief but I felt I had to blame somebody.

It was probably a bit windy for a maiden but it was the best chance in a while so I went for it. It still needs a bit more trimming but initial thoughts are good. The mods have certainly livened up the cub. Slow crawl to instant unlimited verticle and a good roll rate.
  • Clipped wing by removing centre section
  • Carbon rod
  • E-Flight Power 10
  • RC Custom motor mount
  • 40 amp ESC
  • Turnigy 11.1 v 2200ma
I flew without the wing struts because I haven't decided on the best method to shorten them yet, any suggestions? They will be only for appearance because the carbon rod is more than stiff enough.

It still climbs quite a bit on full throttle and I was wondering if, I altered the angle of attack of the wing by raising it slightly at the rear, this would help? Any thoughts?
Wregie is offline Find More Posts by Wregie
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 03, 2012, 09:39 AM
Chop it, cut it, bash it
United States, CA, La Caņada Flintridge
Joined Jul 2011
5,771 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wregie View Post

I flew without the wing struts because I haven't decided on the best method to shorten them yet, any suggestions? They will be only for appearance because the carbon rod is more than stiff enough.

It still climbs quite a bit on full throttle and I was wondering if, I altered the angle of attack of the wing by raising it slightly at the rear, this would help? Any thoughts?
The solution is so easy you will wonder why you didn't think of it. Mark where the struts meet the wing. Cut them 1/2 inch beyond. Take them out and using a lighter heat the tip and bend up with a screw driver to make a 100 degree bend. Cool and then reinsert.
quitcherbitchen is online now Find More Posts by quitcherbitchen
Old Dec 03, 2012, 10:44 AM
Norwood, CO
Joined Jul 2009
624 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishycomics View Post
I made my own cowl, with water putty, and casted a mold, used a 7-11 bottle, and heat gun to shrink on the cast, allowed cool and a near perfect cast..
Fishy', post some pics of your cowl making!

jo
jaksno is offline Find More Posts by jaksno
Old Dec 03, 2012, 04:01 PM
Joined Aug 2009
2,489 Posts
Quote:
So I finally got to maiden my modded SuperCub this morning. The three W's have been getting in the way up until now (Work, Weather, Wife) to be fair the Girlfriend doesn't give me grief but I felt I had to blame somebody.

It was probably a bit windy for a maiden but it was the best chance in a while so I went for it. It still needs a bit more trimming but initial thoughts are good. The mods have certainly livened up the cub. Slow crawl to instant unlimited verticle and a good roll rate.
  • Clipped wing by removing centre section
  • Carbon rod
  • E-Flight Power 10
  • RC Custom motor mount
  • 40 amp ESC
  • Turnigy 11.1 v 2200ma

I've had an SC set-up like yours for a couple of years now. It has been a blast. I fly it four seasons on 8x9 props for speed and 10x8's for thrust.

In addition to changing the AOA, the simplest things you can do are to make it a bit more nose heavy, by moving the battery, and dial in a little down elevator trim. A more aggressive step is to change the thrust angle, using a thin washer on the top 2 screws between the firewall and motor mount.

It takes quite a bit to make it fly level, WOT, because there is still a lot of wing area and asymmetrical airfoil that makes it want to continue to gain altitude the faster it goes. Take small steps until you get it where you like it. Then let her rip!
19000rpm is online now Find More Posts by 19000rpm
Old Dec 03, 2012, 05:21 PM
United States, WV, St Albans
Joined Jul 2011
1,780 Posts
Tried my Cub with floats today. I added 1 oz of weight to the nose and she flies like a dream again. Takes off and lands smooth as silk.

Jim
WVrailfan is online now Find More Posts by WVrailfan
Old Dec 03, 2012, 05:44 PM
Closed Account
Joined May 2012
1,792 Posts
Nice paintwork...
.quietguy is offline Find More Posts by .quietguy
Old Dec 03, 2012, 07:17 PM
Joined Aug 2011
59 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 19000rpm View Post
In addition to changing the AOA, the simplest things you can do are to make it a bit more nose heavy, by moving the battery, and dial in a little down elevator trim. A more aggressive step is to change the thrust angle, using a thin washer on the top 2 screws between the firewall and motor mount.
Have you tried altering the AoA?
The problem I had with down trim was that when I throttled back I had to pull back on th stick. I was hoping to get it trimmed a bit more neutral across the rev range or am I dreaming?
Old Dec 03, 2012, 07:32 PM
Joined Jul 2011
1,780 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by .quietguy View Post
Nice paintwork...
Thanks, the fuse and wing are covered with Oracal vinyl film. I chose the high vis colors because I use this with 808 cams and sometimes take it up over 1000 feet flying LOS. Plus it will be easier to find if I lose it someday.

Jim
Old Dec 03, 2012, 07:41 PM
Closed Account
Joined May 2012
1,792 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by WVrailfan View Post
Thanks, the fuse and wing are covered with Oracal vinyl film. I chose the high vis colors because I use this with 808 cams and sometimes take it up over 1000 feet flying LOS. Plus it will be easier to find if I lose it someday.

Jim
1000 feet!? Holy moley!

Highest I've had my Stratos is about 150 feet... hahaha

Guess I'm truly a Noob eh.

Sorry... don't know what LOS or AOA are...
.quietguy is offline Find More Posts by .quietguy
Old Dec 03, 2012, 07:53 PM
Joined Jul 2011
1,780 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by .quietguy View Post
1000 feet!? Holy moley!

Highest I've had my Stratos is about 150 feet... hahaha

Guess I'm truly a Noob eh.

Sorry... don't know what LOS or AOA are...
LOS flying "Line of Sight" as opposed to FPV. AOA "Angle of Attack" or "Angle of Attitude."

Jim
Old Dec 03, 2012, 08:18 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Oct 2006
5,302 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaksno View Post
Fishy', post some pics of your cowl making!

jo
Bananarama, you know that song.

so allow me some- heck found it.

If you take note I eventually found the right bottle and got one done, just never used it. 10 months ago, I am still on the same cowl, with cutting the front out some.

trick we do to prevent the cowl from cracking is to apply tape on the INSIDE, and you do not need to go through all this trouble

I used masking tape

Hobbyzone super Cub how to make a replica Cowl (4 min 43 sec)

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1500 ft plus give or take. using a altimeter by Eagle tree.

dam everytime I try looking at vimeo I see a picture
fishycomics is offline Find More Posts by fishycomics
Last edited by fishycomics; Dec 03, 2012 at 08:31 PM.
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Dec 03, 2012, 08:23 PM
Canada, MB, Steinbach
Joined Jul 2011
117 Posts
HH Super Cub

I am now flying my super cub with floats here in the cold north country. I have 480 motor in mine w/40A speed control & 10/7 apc prop. Took it up last saturday for first time w/floats and I was pretty nervous but it took off near as fast as w/gear and no I didn't have to rebalance cg. It is really a blast to fly with floats on snow. I find the landings so much easier and more graceful on snow. Had about 15-20km wind and it did toss plane around a little more and the turns were a little slower. I will try my other wing w/ailerons to see if turns sharpen up a bit. Not sure how to go about making skis as I would like to try that as well with the super cub?
Most challenging thing now is keeping fingers warm
zamjohn is offline Find More Posts by zamjohn
Old Dec 03, 2012, 08:32 PM
Joined Aug 2009
2,489 Posts
Quote:
Have you tried altering the AoA?
The problem I had with down trim was that when I throttled back I had to pull back on th stick. I was hoping to get it trimmed a bit more neutral across the rev range or am I dreaming?
No, you're not dreaming. It's a delicate balance. I altered all of the things I mentioned including AoA. The down elevator trim is just a few degrees. I don't have to add up elevator when I back the throttle off.

I think the increased thrust angle is the key. It pulls the nose down somewhat proportionally to the increase in speed/lift. But at lower throttle it doesn't have a much of a noticeable effect.
19000rpm is online now Find More Posts by 19000rpm
Old Dec 04, 2012, 12:10 AM
United States, TX, Richardson
Joined Oct 2011
303 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BamaBasher View Post

Then about 50 to 70 feet up and about 20 feet west of me the plane abruptly pitched down again. I had throttle control and rudder but no elevator. Again I watched helplessly as the plane smacked the ground, HARD this time. Destroyed the brand new cowling. The prop is toast, the new shaft is toast. Lord knows what else. I'm too po'd to look right now. The fuselage snapped in half right before the tail assembly.
Very sorry to hear about the problem with your SC. I highly recommend calling the seller and telling them the story. I have had similar disasters with brand new planes and HH has been very good to me.

Just out of curiosity, you said the fuselage snapped in half. Maybe it's my old eyes but I can't see that in the picture you posted. Did you already repair it, or maybe just set it back in place?

I hope by now you have a brand new plane and you can again go out and enjoy flying with your son. Wow, only 6 years old and he has all that interest and skill already?
fotoflyer is offline Find More Posts by fotoflyer
Old Dec 04, 2012, 05:34 AM
Joined Aug 2011
59 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 19000rpm View Post
No, you're not dreaming. It's a delicate balance. I altered all of the things I mentioned including AoA. The down elevator trim is just a few degrees. I don't have to add up elevator when I back the throttle off.

I think the increased thrust angle is the key. It pulls the nose down somewhat proportionally to the increase in speed/lift. But at lower throttle it doesn't have a much of a noticeable effect.
Thanks I will keep fiddling.. Calm day today so I wll give it another couple of flights and then go from there.