HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 02, 2012, 10:28 AM
United States, WV, St Albans
Joined Jun 2011
1,696 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SanRamonBrewer View Post
I agree with allelectrik, no adjustment needed to get it balanced at recommended CG. But then I never flew it on gear, only on the floats. I do find that it pitches up on initial break away from the water because I hold so much up elevator on the TO run, but otherwise it flys level at mid throttle. Make sure that you have disabled the ACT. That will cause the SC to act squirrelly over water for sure!

Tom
Thanks, this plane is repowered with an eflite Park 480 and has a Spektrum AR600 RX so the ACT is not an issue. As soon as the wind dies down, I'm going to try it with a bit of weight in the nose, I'll let you guys know what happens.

Jim
WVrailfan is online now Find More Posts by WVrailfan
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 02, 2012, 12:05 PM
United States, AL, Orange Beach
Joined Oct 2012
153 Posts
Super Annoyed with the Super Cub

Took my 6 year old out to fly the SC this morning. Checked all the controls and everything worked fine. I take off, do one circuit around the field, drop a parachute man. I turned to tell my son it was okay to chase the parachute and turned back to see the plane abruptly pitch down. It was about 30 feet up and maybe 80 to 100 feet to my south. I have no elevator response. So I shut off the throttle and watched helplessly as the plane hit the ground nose first.

Broke the cowling, bent the prop shaft and landing gear. I chalked this up to some sort of pilot error.

I replaced the cowling prop and shaft, straightened the landing gear and tried again. I did a range check, taxied the plane up and down the field and everything was working fine. So I did a couple of touch and go's. No issues for about 5 minutes.

Then about 50 to 70 feet up and about 20 feet west of me the plane abruptly pitched down again. I had throttle control and rudder but no elevator. Again I watched helplessly as the plane smacked the ground, HARD this time. Destroyed the brand new cowling. The prop is toast, the new shaft is toast. Lord knows what else. I'm too po'd to look right now. The fuselage snapped in half right before the tail assembly.

As the attached picture shows the elevator is jammed down. After the crash i tried the controls. Rudder works, throttle works, no response from the elevator. I can hear the servo make noise but there is no movement on the control surface. So I guess the servo went bad. I've only had this plane a month and I'm really angry right now. If I had crashed due to pilot error, fine. But this was an obvious servo issue that ruined my quality flying time with my son and smashed up my basically new plane.

And before you ask, no this isn't due to ACT. I unplugged the sensors before I ever flew the plane for the first time.

The nearest hobby store that's open on Sunday is an hour away. So I guess we'll have to fly the Champ or find something else to do today.
BamaBasher is offline Find More Posts by BamaBasher
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: A great flying day!
Old Dec 02, 2012, 12:35 PM
Joined Aug 2009
2,187 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by .quietguy View Post
I'm guessing the really talented among us can rig that up easily and quickly...
Obviously! But for those who may not have the tools, etc...
19000rpm is online now Find More Posts by 19000rpm
Old Dec 02, 2012, 12:49 PM
Closed Account
Joined May 2012
1,792 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BamaBasher View Post
As the attached picture shows the elevator is jammed down. After the crash i tried the controls. Rudder works, throttle works, no response from the elevator. I can hear the servo make noise but there is no movement on the control surface. So I guess the servo went bad. I've only had this plane a month and I'm really angry right now. If I had crashed due to pilot error, fine. But this was an obvious servo issue that ruined my quality flying time with my son and smashed up my basically new plane.

And before you ask, no this isn't due to ACT. I unplugged the sensors before I ever flew the plane for the first time.

The nearest hobby store that's open on Sunday is an hour away. So I guess we'll have to fly the Champ or find something else to do today.
I know you're pissed right at this moment... but once your blood pressure comes back down some I'd like to make a suggestion:

Call Hobby Zone customer service and share all this with them - my guess is they'll replace your plane.

Best of luck...

... Lennie
.quietguy is offline Find More Posts by .quietguy
Old Dec 02, 2012, 12:50 PM
Closed Account
Joined May 2012
1,792 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 19000rpm View Post
Obviously! But for those who may not have the tools, etc...
But for those that DO...

Old Dec 02, 2012, 01:05 PM
Joined Aug 2009
2,187 Posts
Quote:
But for those that DO...

What part of "Obviously" don't you grasp??
Old Dec 02, 2012, 01:41 PM
United States, AL, Orange Beach
Joined Oct 2012
153 Posts
Quote:
I know you're pissed right at this moment... but once your blood pressure comes back down some I'd like to make a suggestion:

Call Hobby Zone customer service and share all this with them - my guess is they'll replace your plane.

Best of luck...

... Lennie
Thanks Lennie. I was already planning on contacting them in the morning. I feel better after lunch and a nice nap. My son wants to go back to the field, watch the other guys fly and play with the Champ so the day isn't lost.
BamaBasher is offline Find More Posts by BamaBasher
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: A great flying day!
Old Dec 02, 2012, 01:44 PM
Closed Account
Joined May 2012
1,792 Posts
Quote:
What part of "Obviously" don't you grasp??
Give it a rest ...
Old Dec 02, 2012, 01:51 PM
Joined Aug 2009
2,187 Posts
Quote:
Give it a rest ...
What? You need to take a break. I simply suggested a solution to a problem and you take the attitude that anybody can build one. Well fine. You go build one, or anyone else, but maybe others would like a ready made solution. Get it now?
Old Dec 02, 2012, 02:01 PM
Closed Account
Joined May 2012
1,792 Posts
Quote:
What? You need to take a break. I simply suggested a solution to a problem and you take the attitude that anybody can build one. Well fine. You go build one, or anyone else, but maybe others would like a ready made solution. Get it now?

Old Dec 02, 2012, 02:23 PM
Joined Aug 2009
2,187 Posts
Quote:
Have fun. Try not to get any sand in your Super Cub.
Old Dec 02, 2012, 04:35 PM
Why so serious?
United States, FL, Cape Coral
Joined Dec 2007
5,972 Posts
Quote:
Good heavens... that kind of poor engineering and product quality is disheartening, especially for such a popular and widely sold model. Makes us potential buyers give another thought to making an investment in the SC.
Having a SC or 3 for many years, I agree with your statement. This plane is a great air frame with piss poor electronics. I see people without issues and people who have nothing but head aches with the stock set up.

HH needs to upgrade the RTFs to 21st century electronics. DSM receivers are 5 bucks, brushed esc's are less then 10. Servos are as cheap as 3. Using a brushed motor with a gearbox is prehistoric when you can buy a 980kv motor for 10 bucks.

That's why I advise people to build their own from parts. It's simple and you wind up with a more reliable system . You don't need a lot of tools and it's cheaper. Here's a build log on a SC with the stock brushed motor that works very well.
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1214571

If someone is interested in doing this as a brushless version I can post that also...with bolt on parts..not something you have to create, as in the motor mount.
2500GENE is offline Find More Posts by 2500GENE
Old Dec 02, 2012, 05:08 PM
Closed Account
Joined May 2012
1,792 Posts
Excellent suggestions all, Gene...
Old Dec 02, 2012, 06:18 PM
Low'n Slow is safest, right?
Norge, Østfold, Fredrikstad
Joined Jun 2011
553 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by WVrailfan View Post
Thanks, this plane is repowered with an eflite Park 480 and has a Spektrum AR600 RX so the ACT is not an issue. As soon as the wind dies down, I'm going to try it with a bit of weight in the nose, I'll let you guys know what happens.

Jim
Just a quick thought - I have limited experience with floats, but I have flown the HZ Cub (and Fun Cub) with skis. With those on, I notice a tendency for nosing up due to the "angle of attack" on the skis - it is not showing any other signs of being tail heavy like being oversensitive on elevator input etc. - it is just like they behave like an added control surface, like some kind of flaps almost

Might floats do the same? They are adding "flying surface" area ,and probably some lift, to the plane after all...

I just add enough down elevator trim to make the plane behave as normal/compensate for the added "flying surfaces", no need to weigh it down/make it more nose heavy when flying with skis...
KaiWE is offline Find More Posts by KaiWE
Old Dec 02, 2012, 07:29 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Oct 2006
5,302 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BamaBasher View Post
Took my 6 year old out to fly the SC this morning. Checked all the controls and everything worked fine. I take off, do one circuit around the field, drop a parachute man. .
I own this plane and understand your frustration to.

Plus 1 call HH, be calm, about it, it is a one time deal. They will send you a new plane 100%.

Reading this thread, deep in it, XPORT. that is the drop module, my guess, hope I am wrong, may have caused the issue?

For me. I can no longer fly a bigger prop, I get cut outs. I used the drop module a few times, but do not blame it, I have reverted back to all stock. and my brown outs are no longer.

I made my own cowl, with water putty, and casted a mold, used a 7-11 bottle, and heat gun to shrink on the cast, allowed cool and a near perfect cast..

I improved where I do not need to use it yet. but something to look into. thin cowl, a money making scheme adds up in the long run.

Now my Cub is getting old so anything today goes. will look for a replacement one day

Keep us posted about your experience with HH
fishycomics is offline Find More Posts by fishycomics
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)