HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 30, 2012, 07:24 PM
United States, IL, Essex
Joined Feb 2010
1,589 Posts
I know what your talking about Gus. I have three prop shafts that the gear wasnt centered. You would think that they could take a little more care to center the shaft on the gear. I have just delt with it in the past until I converted over to brushless.
jwp2 is online now Find More Posts by jwp2
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 30, 2012, 07:28 PM
Closed Account
Joined May 2012
1,792 Posts
Good heavens... that kind of poor engineering and product quality is disheartening, especially for such a popular and widely sold model. Makes us potential buyers give another thought to making an investment in the SC.
.quietguy is offline Find More Posts by .quietguy
Old Nov 30, 2012, 08:54 PM
Chop it, cut it, bash it
United States, CA, La Caņada Flintridge
Joined Jul 2011
5,710 Posts
Put a brushless 450 in it and quitcherbitchen.
quitcherbitchen is online now Find More Posts by quitcherbitchen
Old Nov 30, 2012, 09:00 PM
United States, WV, St Albans
Joined Jul 2011
1,759 Posts
New with floats

I put a set of floats on my 480 powered SC and flew it off of grass today, getting ready for snow later this year.

It acted a bit squirrelly, like it is tail heavy, even though it balances at the proper CG.

Anyone here fly with floats and have to adjust the CG on the SC?

Jim
WVrailfan is offline Find More Posts by WVrailfan
Old Nov 30, 2012, 09:43 PM
Epilepsy Awareness Month
United States, MA, Malden
Joined Mar 2008
11,647 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by quitcherbitchen View Post
put a brushless 450 in it and quitcherbitchen.:d
:dlol
Chap1012 is offline Find More Posts by Chap1012
Old Nov 30, 2012, 10:39 PM
Eugene, Oregon
Joined Feb 2011
611 Posts
450 motor: great choice, have been flying my sc w/450 for almost 2 years. lots of power (cruise around at half-throttle) and long battery time (16 minutes)

Floats: no adjustment to cg needed. only issue is handling on the water. give yourself lots of room to make a turn at low taxi speed.
allelectrik is offline Find More Posts by allelectrik
Old Nov 30, 2012, 10:52 PM
United States, WV, St Albans
Joined Jul 2011
1,759 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by allelectrik View Post
450 motor: great choice, have been flying my sc w/450 for almost 2 years. lots of power (cruise around at half-throttle) and long battery time (16 minutes)

Floats: no adjustment to cg needed. only issue is handling on the water. give yourself lots of room to make a turn at low taxi speed.
Yeah, I taxied it around a small lake by my house just to try the floats and you have to keep up pretty good taxi speed for the rudder authority to outweigh the weather vein effect of a breeze.

But when I flew it today it acted tail heavy. It wants to pitch hard up with even 1/2 throttle and this plane flew great before the floats.

I'm going to add some weight to the nose and try it again, I'll report back my results.

Jim
WVrailfan is offline Find More Posts by WVrailfan
Old Dec 01, 2012, 08:53 PM
United States, TX, Richardson
Joined Oct 2011
303 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by quitcherbitchen View Post
Put a brushless 450 in it and quitcherbitchen.
Love it! Perfect!

I've thought about going BL but it looks like quite a bit of work to mount a BL on the SC. Is there some part I could buy which will provide the mount I need? (I'm not good at wood working or metal working)

Also, unless it's not allowed, could you tell me specifically what BL motor I should get?

I've already removed the stock receiver/ESC module and have a separate Spektrum receiver and a separate brushed motor ESC. So swapping out the ESC will be no problem.

Thanks again for your comment. I actually DID LOL!

Gus
fotoflyer is offline Find More Posts by fotoflyer
Old Dec 01, 2012, 08:59 PM
United States, TX, Richardson
Joined Oct 2011
303 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by .quietguy View Post
Good heavens... that kind of poor engineering and product quality is disheartening, especially for such a popular and widely sold model. Makes us potential buyers give another thought to making an investment in the SC.
I agree it's poor quality control, but I wouldn't hesitate to buy a Super Cub because of this. The Super Cub is a really fun plane to fly, so docile and easy-going. Great for beginners but expert pilots may also have a SC which they fly just to relax and relieve the stress after flying aerobatic (3D) planes.
fotoflyer is offline Find More Posts by fotoflyer
Old Dec 01, 2012, 09:05 PM
Chop it, cut it, bash it
United States, CA, La Caņada Flintridge
Joined Jul 2011
5,710 Posts
Gary at Custom RC makes really good motor mounts out of aluminum for the Super Cub. I own many of his products and they are top notch-$20.00. You don't even need a new receiver as the stock one can handle a brushless motor. I have many different brushless motors in my Cubs, but the best for overall performance and flight time is any 450 park size motor. Eflite 450 890kv is really good, but expensive. Less expensive alternatives can be bought from Hobby King or RCTimer. I have a RC Timer 1120kv, but haven't used it yet. It is more powerful then a Eflite 480 which is very powerful. Others here will offer lots of other alternatives I am sure.
quitcherbitchen is online now Find More Posts by quitcherbitchen
Old Dec 01, 2012, 10:24 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Oct 2006
5,302 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by theiting View Post
I would like to install an inexpensive keychain type video camera on my Super Cub. Can anyone make a recommendation?
I want to thank Chap1012.. thanks.

a lot can be said. go to ebay Electoponline. Keycam 808 #16 ver 2. Lens A, option , lens D and case.

Stick with fw 36. load up 49 and keep the AWB to flourecent.

How to or where to stick it to the Cub

Locate the ACT on the bottom that white button. that is where I place mine in the front of it, when facing to the rear, it rests on it

I also place it on the leading edge of the wing on the bottom facing in three different angles.

How I do it, masking tape.

I kept to a basic response, and if need me I will chime in. and offer more info.

There is a thread check it out, they know best.
fishycomics is offline Find More Posts by fishycomics
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Dec 02, 2012, 06:39 AM
Me a long time ago
London N.E. UK
Joined Jan 2007
6,107 Posts
A word about those aluminium mounts from 'Custom RC'. They are good as I have one. There is no drilling or anything as they fit the SC plastic mounts.But make sure you get one that is comparable for whatever motor you have, as they come in different fitting sizes.
Flypoppa is online now Find More Posts by Flypoppa
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 02, 2012, 07:47 AM
Joined Aug 2009
2,415 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by WVrailfan View Post
Yeah, I taxied it around a small lake by my house just to try the floats and you have to keep up pretty good taxi speed for the rudder authority to outweigh the weather vein effect of a breeze.

But when I flew it today it acted tail heavy. It wants to pitch hard up with even 1/2 throttle and this plane flew great before the floats.

I'm going to add some weight to the nose and try it again, I'll report back my results.

Jim
If you are looking for absolutely rudder authority at any speed on the water this is the thing to have. http://secure.hobbyzone.com/RAZ004.html
19000rpm is offline Find More Posts by 19000rpm
Old Dec 02, 2012, 07:57 AM
Closed Account
Joined May 2012
1,792 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 19000rpm View Post
If you are looking for absolutely rudder authority at any speed on the water this is the thing to have. http://secure.hobbyzone.com/RAZ004.html
I'm guessing the really talented among us can rig that up easily and quickly...
.quietguy is offline Find More Posts by .quietguy
Old Dec 02, 2012, 10:57 AM
United States, CA, San Ramon
Joined Aug 2012
6 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by WVrailfan View Post

Jim
I agree with allelectrik, no adjustment needed to get it balanced at recommended CG. But then I never flew it on gear, only on the floats. I do find that it pitches up on initial break away from the water because I hold so much up elevator on the TO run, but otherwise it flys level at mid throttle. Make sure that you have disabled the ACT. That will cause the SC to act squirrelly over water for sure!

Tom
SanRamonBrewer is offline Find More Posts by SanRamonBrewer