HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 21, 2012, 06:29 PM
NotAnotherMomentLostToSei zures
United States, MA, Malden
Joined Mar 2008
10,884 Posts
Yes! Happy Thanksgiving to all and especially to all of our soldiers here and abroad.

Mike.
Chap1012 is offline Find More Posts by Chap1012
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 21, 2012, 09:32 PM
United States, TX, Richardson
Joined Oct 2011
298 Posts
I've been flying my SC for about year now and really enjoy every flight. I'm getting a little concerned about the durability of the wings. When just parked on the kitchen table or a soccer field the wings now seem to have lost a lot of their dihedral. They are almost flat, and of course, the wing struts are hanging way down.

If I lift the plane at the wing tips, the struts go tight so the wing can only bent so far. But it takes very little effort to move the wings up to where the struts are tight. All the bending is happening right where the wing meets the fuselage.

I'm concerned that this flexing at the root of the wing might eventually cause the wing to break in flight, with dire consequences.

Has anyone had their SC wings break in flight? Or is this amount of flex normal and I should just forget about it?
fotoflyer is offline Find More Posts by fotoflyer
Old Nov 21, 2012, 09:50 PM
Tallahassee, FL
Joined Sep 2009
1,421 Posts
It's normal.
Turner2 is offline Find More Posts by Turner2
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: DX7 Programing - Ultimate...
Old Nov 21, 2012, 09:51 PM
Chop it, cut it, bash it
United States, CA, La Caņada Flintridge
Joined Jul 2011
5,288 Posts
Catch it before it becomes worse. Put some carbon in it with Guerilla Glue. 30" on the CG line about 2.5" from the leading edge.
quitcherbitchen is offline Find More Posts by quitcherbitchen
Old Nov 21, 2012, 10:27 PM
anaheim, ca
Joined Apr 2005
2,542 Posts
some flex is normal but you could definitely stiffen it up with carbon or other type of rod through the wing. another option is to use clear packing tape which will resist stretching when the wing bends and, if it does snap, help hold it together. i've heard and seen a wing break in flight. hooks on the wing strut gave out (first snap sound i heard) and when that was no longer supporting the wing gave out (scary crack sound). buddy got his SC to the ground in one piece but he had a limp wing. :P
lowdive is offline Find More Posts by lowdive
Old Nov 21, 2012, 11:06 PM
Closed Account
Joined May 2012
1,792 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fotoflyer View Post
I've been flying my SC for about year now and really enjoy every flight.

Hi foto... just noticed we're nearly neighbors.

Maybe we should get together one day for some flight time.

... Lennie
.quietguy is offline Find More Posts by .quietguy
Old Nov 22, 2012, 10:12 AM
Joined Oct 2011
298 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by quitcherbitchen View Post
Catch it before it becomes worse. Put some carbon in it with Guerilla Glue. 30" on the CG line about 2.5" from the leading edge.
Thanks! Could you provide a bit of "here's how to do it"? All the flexing is right at the point where the wing meets the fuselage. This is also where the dihedral angle is. The portion of the wing that is over the fuselage is flat, then another dihedral angle for the wing on the other side. So if I were to glue a 30 inch carbon fiber rod/tube to the wing I would need to bend the CF at these two angles. Is that possible?

I could cut the rod such that it goes from near the tip of the wing to the fuselage, but that would do no good since the flexing (and potential breaking point) is right where the wing meets the fuselage. So how do I attach this 30 inch rod?

One other point: the struts are there to prevent the wings from flexing any more than where the struts become tight. Wouldn't this be all the protection I need? And thus I shouldn't be concerned about this problem at all?
Old Nov 22, 2012, 10:21 AM
Joined Oct 2011
298 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by .quietguy View Post
Hi foto... just noticed we're nearly neighbors.

Maybe we should get together one day for some flight time.

... Lennie
Yes, cool! Do you have a flying field in the Sherman area? I'm an avid birder as well and I go up to Hagerman National Wildlife Refuge west of Sherman several times each year. Right now is an interesting time to go since there are thousands of Snow Geese there for the winter.

I fly at Renner Field which is at the Bush Tollway and Renner Road in Plano.
Old Nov 22, 2012, 10:38 AM
Closed Account
Joined May 2012
1,792 Posts
Quote:
Yes, cool! Do you have a flying field in the Sherman area? I'm an avid birder as well and I go up to Hagerman National Wildlife Refuge west of Sherman several times each year. Right now is an interesting time to go since there are thousands of Snow Geese there for the winter.

I fly at Renner Field which is at the Bush Tollway and Renner Road in Plano.
I'm probably 4 miles south of the Hagerman Road turnoff, near 289.

And I usually fly weekends at the S&S High School parking lot - it has a ten square acre field just next to it - no trees so it's perfect.

My next low-wind day coming up is Saturday... I hope to get over there then for some air time.

Look forward to meeting you one day soon.

... Lennie
Old Nov 22, 2012, 10:43 AM
Chop it, cut it, bash it
Joined Jul 2011
5,288 Posts
Quote:
Thanks! Could you provide a bit of "here's how to do it"? All the flexing is right at the point where the wing meets the fuselage. This is also where the dihedral angle is. The portion of the wing that is over the fuselage is flat, then another dihedral angle for the wing on the other side. So if I were to glue a 30 inch carbon fiber rod/tube to the wing I would need to bend the CF at these two angles. Is that possible?

I could cut the rod such that it goes from near the tip of the wing to the fuselage, but that would do no good since the flexing (and potential breaking point) is right where the wing meets the fuselage. So how do I attach this 30 inch rod?

One other point: the struts are there to prevent the wings from flexing any more than where the struts become tight. Wouldn't this be all the protection I need? And thus I shouldn't be concerned about this problem at all?
I actually don't use rods. I use Carbon 5mm flat strips that I put in 2.5 inchs back from the leading edge in a vertical slit that I cut with a razor saw. 30" might be overkill, but as long as you get it out to near the wing struts your good. I push the carbon strip into the slit low enough to put a servo lead on top. Just use White Guerrilla Glue spread on both sides of the strip and push it in. I usually push the strip in a few times to widen the cut, then once it looks even depth I glue it in. This setup as survived two major crashes with out major damage to the wing. I have also power dived the plane and haven't noticed flex if any at all.
Old Nov 23, 2012, 10:33 AM
Chop it, cut it, bash it
Joined Jul 2011
5,288 Posts
Finally put the pan camera on the Super Cub. It's a Turnigy 180degree digital servo. Camera can move from front to rear using a lever on the transmitter. I notice the camera glitches the rudder servo when in use. That kinda has me scratching my head.
Old Nov 23, 2012, 10:48 AM
Closed Account
Joined May 2012
1,792 Posts
Very neat setup, quit... any weight issues? Video quality?

... Lennie
Old Nov 23, 2012, 11:08 AM
Chop it, cut it, bash it
Joined Jul 2011
5,288 Posts
I haven't flown it with this plane yet so I will let you know. Cubs are pretty CG and weight tolerant.
Old Nov 23, 2012, 11:16 AM
Planes in flames,,,
Gravity Sucks
Joined Aug 2010
3,388 Posts
Quote:
Your instincts are dead on. The spars are doing their job...
No need to reinforce the wing unless you want to get rid of the struts or plan on doing high G loops.

Having said all that, reinforcing the wing is a very popular mod, but usually in conjunction with flattening the wing to remove some or all of the dihedral to help effectiveness of ailerons,
jetpackninja is offline Find More Posts by jetpackninja
Old Nov 23, 2012, 12:40 PM
Tally Ho Chaps!
United Kingdom, England, Ipswich
Joined Mar 2012
452 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by quitcherbitchen View Post
Finally put the pan camera on the Super Cub. It's a Turnigy 180degree digital servo. Camera can move from front to rear using a lever on the transmitter. I notice the camera glitches the rudder servo when in use. That kinda has me scratching my head.
Neat. My 808 arrived in the post today and is charging. No flights for a few days as the weather forecast is not good.
What effect is the camera having on the rudder Quitch, and in what circumstances?
Chompwat is offline Find More Posts by Chompwat