SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Nov 20, 2012, 12:07 PM
Hipster Kate Upton approved!!
United States, CA, Chino Hills
Joined Jul 2012
30 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by .quietguy View Post
Very interesting, the way you have the flap servos and rods configured - never saw it done that way before.

Does the SC really need flaps? From all I've read, it's a slow floater. But then again, you have made it into a 'hotrod'

Nice work, zepol.

... Lennie
It comes in very hot now with the added power so flaps were a must for me. Specially when the run way is shorter than ideal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flypoppa View Post
I have put some duck tape inside. This helps.
This works great! I do the same though I dont land nose down anymore.
75zepol is offline Find More Posts by 75zepol
Last edited by 75zepol; Nov 20, 2012 at 12:26 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 20, 2012, 12:45 PM
Closed Account
Joined May 2012
1,792 Posts
I would think a band of packing tape neatly wrapped around the circumference would be optimum...
.quietguy is offline Find More Posts by .quietguy
Old Nov 20, 2012, 01:32 PM
Epilepsy Awareness
United States, MA, Malden
Joined Mar 2008
11,835 Posts
Hello all. 2500GENE led me to this thread and already I see some familiar user names..lol. I have a Champ but, I want more stick time and I think the SC is the answer as the Champ does not do well in light wind. Therefore fly days are few and far between for the Champ.

I just wanted to stop in and say hello and introduce myself. I haven't gotten the SC as of yet but, I think it will be very soon.

Now on to page one. I have some reading to do

Mike.
Chap1012 is offline Find More Posts by Chap1012
Old Nov 20, 2012, 02:24 PM
Chop it, cut it, bash it
United States, CA, La Caņada Flintridge
Joined Jul 2011
5,765 Posts
Welcome aboard. I fly my Cub regularly even though I have a whole stable of other planes.
quitcherbitchen is online now Find More Posts by quitcherbitchen
Old Nov 20, 2012, 03:04 PM
Epilepsy Awareness
Joined Mar 2008
11,835 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by quitcherbitchen View Post
Welcome aboard. I fly my Cub regularly even though I have a whole stable of other planes.
Thank you for the welcome quit. I would like to hear more about your planes. Listen to this...Ha, ha, My Bud just informed me the Carbon Cubs SS are in stock. AARRGG..both the same price ($169.00). He's had one on order since Oct 1. This is his second plane as well, moving up from a Champ (like myself).

Even though the Super Cub is a 3 channel, I like the wing span and weight of the Super cub. The CC is a 24" wing, fly weight 3.17 OZ. Super Cub is a 47+ wing and flyweight is 25.2 OZ.

For some reason the "simplicity" (3 ch.) and weight appeals to me. Dang! Now I know what it was like for some plankers coming into the heli coax threads felt like for their first time....lol

Mike.
Old Nov 20, 2012, 03:08 PM
Closed Account
Joined May 2012
1,792 Posts
Welcome to the forum, Chap...

The SC is a great choice although I don't yet own one.

I'm still getting my wings back on with the Firebird Stratos.

... Lennie
Old Nov 20, 2012, 04:57 PM
Me a long time ago
London N.E. UK
Joined Jan 2007
6,111 Posts
Oh and another thing. I have done away with the 3 screws that hold on the motor cowl. I am using Velcro to hold it on.
Flypoppa is online now Find More Posts by Flypoppa
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 20, 2012, 05:11 PM
Epilepsy Awareness
Joined Mar 2008
11,835 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by .quietguy View Post
Welcome to the forum, Chap...

The SC is a great choice although I don't yet own one.

I'm still getting my wings back on with the Firebird Stratos.

... Lennie
Thank you Lennie. I did have my eye on the Firebird Stratos as this too was recommended as a starter. The nice up-swept wing. The only thing that turned me off (nothing personal) was the twin motors. I've been a heli pilot since day one of RC'ing. I want to get away from twin motors I do like the 180 motors. I run 180 Aero~Nuts in my V4 heli and love'em.

Mike.
Old Nov 20, 2012, 05:12 PM
Planes in flames,,,
Gravity Sucks
Joined Aug 2010
3,571 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chompwat View Post
Has anyone tried strengthening the cubs cowl with glassfibre? I've searched the threads and can't find any references. It seems an obvious thing to try with some ultra light cloth & Z-Poxy. I may give it a go!
No- but what I did do was cover the cowl with Extreme tape. I did it originally because the cowl was already cracked to pieces and figured it would be a decent temporary fix. Long story short, it's worked so well that I haven't ever bought a new cowl. I added some clear packing taped over the Extreme tape to keep it from degrading. It's worked very well for two years now.
jetpackninja is offline Find More Posts by jetpackninja
Old Nov 20, 2012, 05:16 PM
Epilepsy Awareness
Joined Mar 2008
11,835 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flypoppa View Post
Oh and another thing. I have done away with the 3 screws that hold on the motor cowl. I am using Velcro to hold it on.
AAHH!!! Velcro is your friend Thanks for the tip.. I have also read to carefully line the inside of the cowl with clear packaging tape.

Mike.
Old Nov 20, 2012, 09:33 PM
We got some flyin' to do!
United States, CA, Fort Irwin
Joined Apr 2012
5,214 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by quitcherbitchen View Post
+1

Just got back from running 5 1300's and a couple of 1250 25C's through the ol' gal.

It was a wonderful desert evening. Little wind, 68 degrees and some whispy clouds....Let's go flying !

Actually flew BOTH of mine. It was awesome doing endless touch and goes. I too have a hangar full of models, but sometimes it's great just to get back to basics and have a little fun. Putting an E-flite 25C 1250 battery in the SC unleashes the beast and it can fly as slow and floaty as you would like or climb out hanging on the prop like a Carbon Cub with full control throws and that motor just screaming from the 25C battery ! I'd float her in nice and gentle, juuuust let the mains touch (holding the tail high, of course...) and then hammer the throttle and hang her on the prop until she'd start to slow down and just let her level out on her own...just magical.

Flying the SC never gets old....
Justwingit is offline Find More Posts by Justwingit
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 21, 2012, 08:16 AM
United States, AL, Orange Beach
Joined Oct 2012
153 Posts
I just joined a club full of nitro and gas planes, electrics too. So far my SC and Champ are the smallest out there but they have all been impressed with how well they both penetrate the wind, especially the Champ. I was working on touch on gos with the SC mostly and just messing around with the Champ.

I'm off work until Friday so I spent the last two days at the club field and having a blast with my planes. Came to Birmingham to visit family for Thanksgiving. I brought both with me hoping to fly a little while I'm here. Also going to visit a local hobby shop and see what they've got. I'll probably either pick up a 2nd wing and aileron components for the SC or a new plane. I haven't decided yet.
BamaBasher is offline Find More Posts by BamaBasher
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: A great flying day!
Old Nov 21, 2012, 08:20 AM
We got some flyin' to do!
United States, CA, Fort Irwin
Joined Apr 2012
5,214 Posts
The SC is where you can really hone your skills as far as basic flight and touch 'n gos...it's perfect for practicing approaches, which is the most important part of a landing. Smooth and steady all the way down until the flare. I flew mine last nite for the better part of an hour and that's all I did...flying a little pattern.

Happy Thanksgiving !
Justwingit is offline Find More Posts by Justwingit
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 21, 2012, 12:00 PM
Newbe learning everyday!
United States, OH, Parma Heights
Joined Aug 2012
794 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BamaBasher View Post
I just joined a club full of nitro and gas planes, electrics too. So far my SC and Champ are the smallest out there but they have all been impressed with how well they both penetrate the wind, especially the Champ. I was working on touch on gos with the SC mostly and just messing around with the Champ.

I'm off work until Friday so I spent the last two days at the club field and having a blast with my planes. Came to Birmingham to visit family for Thanksgiving. I brought both with me hoping to fly a little while I'm here. Also going to visit a local hobby shop and see what they've got. I'll probably either pick up a 2nd wing and aileron components for the SC or a new plane. I haven't decided yet.
If you like the champ, the micro t-28 is a great plane! It's a great 4 channel plane to learn on
dbdukeboy is online now Find More Posts by dbdukeboy
Old Nov 21, 2012, 12:22 PM
Closed Account
Joined May 2012
1,792 Posts
Happy Thanksgiving all!