HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 18, 2012, 10:47 PM
Hipster Kate Upton approved!!
United States, CA, Chino Hills
Joined Jul 2012
24 Posts
Quietguy, the characteristics are the same as before over all. It's powered by a Park 480 motor and a 30A E-flite ESC so weight is not an issue since it was added pretty much in the same location as the stock battery is placed. Removing some dyhedral made it more responsive though. Much easier to fly, specially inverted.

In the previous pictures I was using the stock 2in1 as a receiver but I just did away with it and added flaps. I used the flap mechanism off of the Parkzone Stinson Reliant.
75zepol is offline Find More Posts by 75zepol
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 19, 2012, 02:22 AM
Closed Account
Joined May 2012
1,792 Posts
Well zepol, you've got a full-on custom flyer now - good job.

... Lennie
.quietguy is offline Find More Posts by .quietguy
Old Nov 19, 2012, 09:22 AM
Chop it, cut it, bash it
United States, CA, La Caņada Flintridge
Joined Jul 2011
5,498 Posts
Well, I was getting ready to throw out a bunch of broken Durafly P-51 props that were broken and decided I would experiment with one on the Super Cub with the 480 in it. I cut off one of the three blades (it use to be a four blade) and cleaned up the hub and threw it in the flight box. When I got to the field I got a little bored and put it on. It wasn't perfect as the back of these props needs to be bored out to get them to fit over a collet adapter. So it has a little wobble that next time I will have fixed. These props are FAST. The Super Cub I used had a Eflite-480 920kv and a Eflite 40amp pro ESC with the timing advanced to 20 degrees and a 2200 25c 3s battery. I babied it due to the wobble, but in one burst it was 25% faster then the same set up using a APC 10x7E prop. I am sold. So next time a guy at your field breaks his Durafly 4 blade dig it out of the trash or ask them for it. The paddle design must really grab the air. I now don't feel so bad breaking these props on small nose overs on my Warbirds now.
Durafly prop modified to a 2 blade on a Super Cub 480 (1 min 42 sec)
quitcherbitchen is offline Find More Posts by quitcherbitchen
Old Nov 19, 2012, 10:08 AM
United States, AL, Orange Beach
Joined Oct 2012
153 Posts
We flew the Super Cub yesterday and dropped bombs and the parachute man that comes with the Spektrum drop module. After a 20 minute search for him in the brush I stuck to the bombs and practicing my landings. I also did several loops and such much to the delight of my 6 year old. He wants barrel rolls so I guess I'm either gonna have to add ailerons and flatten the wing or get another plane.

Decisions, Decisions.
BamaBasher is offline Find More Posts by BamaBasher
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: A great flying day!
Old Nov 19, 2012, 10:11 AM
United States, AL, Orange Beach
Joined Oct 2012
153 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by quitcherbitchen View Post
?...
That is one sweet sound. Thanks for posting the vid.
BamaBasher is offline Find More Posts by BamaBasher
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: A great flying day!
Old Nov 19, 2012, 10:54 AM
United States, FL, North Fort Myers
Joined Apr 2011
79 Posts
Great video !

Was a great video with the new prop. Maybe give it a try one of these days.
What/where is the camera ? ? Also building a sailboat and would be great
to be able to have a camera view of the boat in action.
Zork
Zork is offline Find More Posts by Zork
Old Nov 19, 2012, 11:25 AM
Closed Account
Joined May 2012
1,792 Posts
Neat video...
Old Nov 19, 2012, 12:25 PM
Hipster Kate Upton approved!!
United States, CA, Chino Hills
Joined Jul 2012
24 Posts
quitcherbitchen, awesome video.

Lennie; she is quite more fun now since I moved away from 3 channel pretty fast. It was actually shelfed for a few months before I rebuilt it.

These are the last pictures. I promise. Now off to fly!!
75zepol is offline Find More Posts by 75zepol
Old Nov 19, 2012, 12:54 PM
Chop it, cut it, bash it
Joined Jul 2011
5,498 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zork View Post
Was a great video with the new prop. Maybe give it a try one of these days.
What/where is the camera ? ? Also building a sailboat and would be great
to be able to have a camera view of the boat in action.
Zork
The video is with the new/recycled prop. Personally, the video doesn't really give you a sense of how fast it is really going, besides I was cautious because of the off center prop. I need to angle the camera down a little to give a better sense of the over ground speed. In the air it accelerated like a horse with the barn on fire. The camera is an 808 #16 that I bought from the preferred vendor on the 808 #16 thread on this website over a year ago. It still works after three major crashes. One of which completely destroyed my A-1. Radio brownout or servo failure. I now use a UBEC on all my planes over 1100mm in wingspan. I use to have pan system for the camera, but that got destroyed in the A-1 crash two weeks ago. Waiting for parts to get it going again.
Old Nov 19, 2012, 01:28 PM
Closed Account
Joined May 2012
1,792 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 75zepol View Post
quitcherbitchen, awesome video.

Lennie; she is quite more fun now since I moved away from 3 channel pretty fast. It was actually shelfed for a few months before I rebuilt it.

These are the last pictures. I promise. Now off to fly!!
Very interesting, the way you have the flap servos and rods configured - never saw it done that way before.

Does the SC really need flaps? From all I've read, it's a slow floater. But then again, you have made it into a 'hotrod'

Nice work, zepol.

... Lennie
Old Nov 19, 2012, 01:41 PM
Chop it, cut it, bash it
Joined Jul 2011
5,498 Posts
Oh, you must have looked at my blog. I have many different flap versions on the blog. The configuration with the Robart 310 large pin is super easy. I have more sophisticated non-protruding versions. I am even working on a BUTE version that raises the trailing edge while extending the flaps. Sort of B-25 style.
Last edited by quitcherbitchen; Nov 19, 2012 at 02:26 PM.
Old Nov 19, 2012, 10:27 PM
Chop it, cut it, bash it
Joined Jul 2011
5,498 Posts
Here is a picture of the "modified" prop. Modified as broken on a nose over which is common on Durafly warbirds. These props are 10x6 but are paddle style blade shapes that pull like crazy. Better then a APC 10x7SF in my opinion.
Old Nov 20, 2012, 02:56 AM
Tally Ho Chaps!
United Kingdom, England, Ipswich
Joined Mar 2012
452 Posts
Has anyone tried strengthening the cubs cowl with glassfibre? I've searched the threads and can't find any references. It seems an obvious thing to try with some ultra light cloth & Z-Poxy. I may give it a go!
Chompwat is offline Find More Posts by Chompwat
Last edited by Chompwat; Nov 20, 2012 at 02:57 AM. Reason: Typo
Old Nov 20, 2012, 07:30 AM
Chop it, cut it, bash it
Joined Jul 2011
5,498 Posts
Yes,I already tried. The fiberglass will not adhere to the plastic cowl. You would be better served making a new cowl out of fiberglass, but it would be heavy(er).
Old Nov 20, 2012, 08:04 AM
Me a long time ago
London N.E. UK
Joined Jan 2007
6,093 Posts
I have put some duck tape inside. This helps.
Flypoppa is offline Find More Posts by Flypoppa
RCG Plus Member