HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 27, 2012, 07:27 PM
Why so serious?
United States, FL, Cape Coral
Joined Dec 2007
5,972 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wopachop View Post

RX is blinking. I took a pic. Its not the cleanest setup. My satellite RX is down lower...sandwiched between the side of the battery box and the foam. The sat RX had a solid red light. Not sure if it blinks too sometimes.

What you guys think?
Move the sat RX to the back of the fuse away from the esc and battery, then re- adjust your COG.
2500GENE is offline Find More Posts by 2500GENE
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 28, 2012, 04:32 AM
Me a long time ago
London N.E. UK
Joined Jan 2007
6,071 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wopachop View Post
Im still losing contact between radio and RX. Pretty sure it happened the other day. Just real quick blips of nothing. Its hard to tell because its gusty here. Plane is always getting knocked around. I forgot the check the RX for blinking.

But today i lost contact for a couple seconds. Felt like forever. Just about crashed down in the valley. I was about to give up and just start walking to it. Luckily i kept the throttle pinned with the elevator pulled full back. Watching watching watching....then boom it comes back to life. I was thinking to myself NEVER EVER give up. Wow that was nerve racking.

I get some altitude and circle around to try and land on the dirt road. Im flying in the desert. Its losing contact still but just real quick. Heart is pumping like mad and i get it back over to me and land safely.

RX is blinking. I took a pic. Its not the cleanest setup. My satellite RX is down lower...sandwiched between the side of the battery box and the foam. The sat RX had a solid red light. Not sure if it blinks too sometimes.

I went into my MONITOR with everything still turned on. The controls move smoothly. I dont know what the hell to do. Would suck having to send in the TX and wait.

What you guys think?
I believe that you have a problem in the wiring. A faulty join somewhere. What with the vibration that one would get from motors, etc, this could be the cause.
I know that sometimes a TX could be a problem. But I can't remember if you have tried another model, and do you still have problems?
Flypoppa is offline Find More Posts by Flypoppa
Old Oct 28, 2012, 02:24 PM
How's the wind today?
Canada, ON, Toronto
Joined Oct 2011
797 Posts
I just bought this starmax j3 cub.
And although my Modified HZ Supercub Floatplane is still number one, I loved the build simplicity and flying magic that this model offered. $109.00 us from Hobbyking.

Starmax 1400 MM Piper J3 Cub (5 min 1 sec)
Rcbyair is offline Find More Posts by Rcbyair
Old Oct 28, 2012, 06:26 PM
Joined Apr 2007
1,954 Posts
Yes i have had problems with 2 different planes. Each one running its own Orange RX 6 channel.

Both planes i have modified and wired myself. It is quite possible that i have a loose joint with both planes. Would be very disappointed with myself if thats the case.

Whats weird is i can fly many batteries through the cub with no problems. Then outta nowhere mid flight im losing contact. Im thinking i should see the problem happening more often.

Also it happens in different orientations.

I should move the sat RX further back.

Got back from partying last night. Man there is no wind right now i wanna fly!!! Put LEDs in this plane. Still waiting to try a night flight for the first time. Wanted to wait until it was a calm night.

I have a pretty cool landing gear setup. I should take pics before i fly again. Just in case something happens..
wopachop is offline Find More Posts by wopachop
Old Oct 29, 2012, 02:38 AM
Tally Ho Chaps!
United Kingdom, England, Ipswich
Joined Mar 2012
452 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rcbyair View Post
I just bought this starmax j3 cub.
And although my Modified HZ Supercub Floatplane is still number one, I loved the build simplicity and flying magic that this model offered. $109.00 us from Hobbyking.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PlWGex4BrrY&feature=plcp
Cool video Rcbyair, and a lovely plane. I'm assuming it's ARF at that price. How have you equipped it?

On a side note my daughter did her second year at Trent Uni about 5 years back. She did some tree planting up north and fell in love with the country and her gang boss. She married him last year and lives in Orillia ON.
Chompwat is offline Find More Posts by Chompwat
Last edited by Chompwat; Oct 29, 2012 at 02:45 AM.
Old Oct 30, 2012, 04:04 PM
Woodbridge, VA
Joined Mar 2006
624 Posts
Brownouts

I've also had some issues with brownout, at least I think so. Twice I've nearly lost control of my HZ Super Cub while flying at the local school. Both times, I lost throttle and servo control for about 5 seconds before I regained control. And both times I recovered before the plane crashed. I'm flying the RTF version with the included brushed motor and the Spektrum DX4e.

I don't believe I've definitively located the problem but during a postflight inspection after the last incident I discovered that the RX antenna, which appears to be a bare wire for the last inch or so, had pulled out from the tape holding it to the inside of the fuselage and was touching the metal elevator pushrod. I retaped the antenna wire to the fuselage but I've not yet test flown the airplane since then.

After the first incident, I replaced the AA batteries in the TX with fresh ones and made sure that the LiPo battery was fully charged. Didn't seem to be the issue, though.
cgschaefer is offline Find More Posts by cgschaefer
Old Oct 30, 2012, 04:13 PM
Chop it, cut it, bash it
United States, CA, La Caņada Flintridge
Joined Jul 2011
5,314 Posts
That will do it with the antenna, but usually it is more of a glitch not a brown out. Yours sounds like a brown out.
quitcherbitchen is online now Find More Posts by quitcherbitchen
Old Oct 30, 2012, 04:27 PM
Woodbridge, VA
Joined Mar 2006
624 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by quitcherbitchen View Post
That will do it with the antenna, but usually it is more of a glitch not a brown out. Yours sounds like a brown out.
Over the winter, I'm going to do a "chop, cut, rebuild" of my SC. I'm going to basically do what everyone else has done -- ailerons, brushless upgrade, flatten the wing, larger LiPo, and a new RX and ESC. Now, if I can only figure out why I can't get the damn spinner off the plane, I'll be set.
cgschaefer is offline Find More Posts by cgschaefer
Old Oct 30, 2012, 04:37 PM
Y=C+I+G
United States, CA, Rosemead
Joined Jan 2012
7,107 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cgschaefer View Post
Now, if I can only figure out why I can't get the damn spinner off the plane, I'll be set.
if i recall, on the stock setup you have to pinch the spinner to get a grip on it and then unscrew it.
cmdl is online now Find More Posts by cmdl
Old Oct 30, 2012, 06:49 PM
Why so serious?
United States, FL, Cape Coral
Joined Dec 2007
5,972 Posts
Quote:
Over the winter, I'm going to do a "chop, cut, rebuild" of my SC. I'm going to basically do what everyone else has done -- ailerons, brushless upgrade, flatten the wing, larger LiPo, and a new RX and ESC. Now, if I can only figure out why I can't get the damn spinner off the plane, I'll be set.
Stop being so gentle with it. It's a hunk of rubber. Just grab it and pull it straight off.
2500GENE is offline Find More Posts by 2500GENE
Old Oct 31, 2012, 08:14 AM
FAA - Foam Abusers Anonymous
USA, MN, Blaine
Joined May 2008
250 Posts
Quote:
I just peeled back the rubber flaps between the blades and unscrewed it.
dazed&confuzed is offline Find More Posts by dazed&confuzed
Old Oct 31, 2012, 11:37 AM
United States, UT, Toquerville
Joined Sep 2012
237 Posts
So I was just flying everything was great but on my second pack mayb half way thru the motor cut out and it started falling. Then about 2 seconds later it turned back on and flew fine. I checked all the wires and plugs and everything seems fine. Its not acting weired anymore. I'm using a dx7. Any thoughts of mayb what happened?
thanks
orangephoner is online now Find More Posts by orangephoner
Old Oct 31, 2012, 11:40 AM
Chop it, cut it, bash it
United States, CA, La Caņada Flintridge
Joined Jul 2011
5,314 Posts
Voltage sag.
quitcherbitchen is online now Find More Posts by quitcherbitchen
Old Oct 31, 2012, 11:58 AM
United States, UT, Toquerville
Joined Sep 2012
237 Posts
Is there any cure for a voltage sag?
orangephoner is online now Find More Posts by orangephoner
Old Oct 31, 2012, 01:04 PM
United States, CA, Oceanside
Joined Apr 2011
4,755 Posts
You have the ACT turned off right? ACT can get confsed if flying over light sand or water. Symptoms are motor cutting off. For example, if you are flying level and have ACT turned on and do a loop, half way through the loop the ACT will kill the motor until the plane is flying level again. I thought there was something wrong with my HZ Super Cub motor/ESC when this first happened. I simply turn off the ACT on my TX and the problem ceases.
chucksolo69 is online now Find More Posts by chucksolo69