HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 18, 2012, 06:59 PM
Joined Apr 2007
1,958 Posts
Im not sure actual wind speed. It was knocking me around...still think i lost reception and not just the wind kickin my butt.

So as a lipo battery gets old it can cause lost of connection?

Im starting to wonder if maybe my TX is bad. Cause i had the exact same problem happen to a different plane running an OrangeRX. Im just flying along...then dead.

What does a brownout mean? Was really hoping it was because i didnt rebind after hooking up the satellite rx.

its a DX6i.
wopachop is offline Find More Posts by wopachop
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 18, 2012, 07:22 PM
Closed Account
Joined May 2012
1,792 Posts
RX can fail too...
.quietguy is offline Find More Posts by .quietguy
Old Oct 18, 2012, 10:11 PM
Newbe learning everyday!
United States, OH, Parma Heights
Joined Aug 2012
671 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wopachop View Post
Im not sure actual wind speed. It was knocking me around...still think i lost reception and not just the wind kickin my butt.

So as a lipo battery gets old it can cause lost of connection?

Im starting to wonder if maybe my TX is bad. Cause i had the exact same problem happen to a different plane running an OrangeRX. Im just flying along...then dead.

What does a brownout mean? Was really hoping it was because i didnt rebind after hooking up the satellite rx.

its a DX6i.
I was having the same problem with one of my planes and discovered it was a loose connection on one of my deans. When I would wiggle them around I would lose power, I think maybe I got it to hot when soldering and it loosened it up.
dbdukeboy is offline Find More Posts by dbdukeboy
Old Oct 18, 2012, 10:32 PM
Chop it, cut it, bash it
United States, CA, La Caņada Flintridge
Joined Jul 2011
5,532 Posts
Brown outs are when the lipos output falls below the ESC threshold for lowest setting for battery input. I.E. a three cell has a 9.0 volt threshold usually or 3.0 volts per cell unless the ESC has been programed otherwise. Some more expensive ESC use 70% of highest seen voltage. Old lipos or lipos that were drained to below 40% of listed voltage sometimes never regain their total capacity. They may drain out very fast or not perform as expected.
quitcherbitchen is online now Find More Posts by quitcherbitchen
Old Oct 19, 2012, 04:30 AM
Me a long time ago
London N.E. UK
Joined Jan 2007
6,093 Posts
Brownouts should NOT happen when the battery volts drop to the ESC cutoff.
Recently I have used a couple of lipos that have had their day. The model had enough amps to get it in the air, but after a few seconds the motor cuts off. I still had RC control. I was able to land OK and I could still give short motor runs.
Brownouts are caused if there if a failure from either the TX or RX.
Flypoppa is offline Find More Posts by Flypoppa
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 19, 2012, 07:10 AM
Chop it, cut it, bash it
United States, CA, La Caņada Flintridge
Joined Jul 2011
5,532 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flypoppa View Post
Recently I have used a couple of lipos that have had their day. The model had enough amps to get it in the air, but after a few seconds the motor cuts off. I still had RC control. I was able to land OK and I could still give short motor runs.
Yes and No. Let me clarify by saying that reaching reaching the ESC cutoff doesn't mean you have browned out. So Yes, you still have control. It is more of a functional warning system that you are running on the fumes. The battery c rating is the discharge rate and when the volts are low and you start standing on the control movements there is tremendous sag on some low C rated batteries or even old batteries that drops the voltage down intermittently enough to cause the receiver to lose enough power that it needs to reboot. It's not a failure of the radio, but the battery. Now there are some Spectrum receivers out there AR500 I.E. that have bad reputations for losing signal. In that case it would be a design flaw and yes a radio failure. My guess is that the batteries are old and may not be up to snuff or one of the connectors has gone bad. I doubt it's the radio.
quitcherbitchen is online now Find More Posts by quitcherbitchen
Old Oct 19, 2012, 07:20 AM
Look out below
United States, OR, McMinnville
Joined Aug 2011
1,300 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flypoppa View Post
+1
Correct but which problem does wopachop have?
Loss of signal between Tx and Rx = no control of throttle ailerons rudder elevator.
Lvc = still has control of ailerons rudder elevator and no throttle.
Short in power wire which reboots Rx and gives no control for a few seconds.
mcnowhere is offline Find More Posts by mcnowhere
Old Oct 19, 2012, 08:16 AM
Me a long time ago
London N.E. UK
Joined Jan 2007
6,093 Posts
That is the trouble when it could be a radio fault. Is it the TX or the RX? If you are flying more than one model on the TX, then you would soon know if you lost contact with other models. You would put it down to the TX.
I have and I feel sure others have found it difficult to find a wiring problem. I recently had this. It was an intermittent fault and fortunately it started whilst on the ground. So I did not fly that model. After a time of pulling wires and tapping components, I found a bad ESC wire.
I have now lost confidence in Spektrum RXs. Although I have been using them for years, and 99% of the time they are fine. But I now favour the HK Orange ones.
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 19, 2012, 08:47 AM
FAA - Foam Abusers Anonymous
USA, MN, Blaine
Joined May 2008
251 Posts
Quote:
Right on!! Like hearing all stats. Mostly was asking how much expo and travel do you guys like to run?

Just about lost the plane in heavy winds. Im losing connection between tx and rx. My orange RX was blinking once on the ground.

I added a satellite rx last minute. Im i a big dummy for not rebinding?
Was this the first flight of the day?
If not, did you switch the transmitter off between batteries?

I have found that my Orange RX will set the light to blinking if I do not turn the transmitter off between flights. Something about the TX still using the same frequencies and the RX "thinks" it was in a brown out. I've got the 4 CH park flyer orange rx in my SC and Wildcat. I have had it almost out of sight and still had full control. Unfortunately they do not sell that same receiver anymore. I wish I had bought a bunch.
dazed&confuzed is offline Find More Posts by dazed&confuzed
Old Oct 19, 2012, 10:21 AM
United States, UT, Toquerville
Joined Sep 2012
244 Posts
So I'm curious. What is the flight times on the stock SC that everyone is running? Cause when I first bought it I thought I read 10 minutes. So I've put 10 flights doing that. But when I called HH they said only fly 6 minutes. So how long is everyone flying?
thanks
orangephoner is online now Find More Posts by orangephoner
Old Oct 19, 2012, 12:10 PM
United States, AK, Dillingham
Joined Mar 2012
58 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by orangephoner View Post
So I'm curious. What is the flight times on the stock SC that everyone is running? Cause when I first bought it I thought I read 10 minutes. So I've put 10 flights doing that. But when I called HH they said only fly 6 minutes. So how long is everyone flying?
thanks
I'm using the Turnigy nanotech 1300s. If I just float around I get about 14 minutes of battery time. If I push it then I get as low at 9 minutes.
hdxtac is offline Find More Posts by hdxtac
Old Oct 19, 2012, 01:10 PM
Joined Apr 2007
1,958 Posts
Good info!!
I have a lightweight stryker with an OrangeRX running off 850 nano techs that i take very good care of. Never been over discharged. I dont store them charged. Was flying one day....then boom...plane lost all signal. Im moving the sticks around and getting no response. Watch the plane nose dive into a tree. That sucked.

Yesterday the cub gave me problems several times. I installed LED lights. Im getting the plane ready inside the house. Turn on TX, hook up battery. The controls are work fine. But every 10 seconds i notice the LEDs flash and hear a servo twitch. Im thinking what is going on here??? So i unplug battery and start over.

Later that day go to fly again. Windier than hell so concentration is high. Every movement of the sticks are to keep that sucker in the air. Thats when it happens. All a sudden plane is looking all funny. Im moving sticks around trying to save it and getting no response. My girlfriends kid is watching am im yelling oh no its happing again!!! Its gonna crash!!!! Literally about 10' from the ground it comes back to life and is responding to my stick movements. Get the plane facing straight and pin the throttle. Just barely saved it from crashing.

Was able to land the plane and was thinking WHEW!!!! Have so many hours invested in that plane. I notice the OrangeRX was blinking.

I do turn the TX off after i remove the batteries. Every single time. The batteries for the cub are kept in decent condition. I do take them to the desert and it gets pretty hot. Also have left them charged for days at a time. But i have never over discharged. I know its not necessary but i still balance change 95% of the time.

Since this happened to 2 different planes. Each with their own RX. Running off different batteries. What does that mean? I guess its possible i have a loose connection with both planes. I try to be extremely careful with my builds. I like everything perfect. Feel my soldering skills are above average.

Im scared to fly now. For real. Takes me forever to build these planes. I bought the DX6i new in box. But used off this site.

Thanks for all the advice so far.
wopachop is offline Find More Posts by wopachop
Old Oct 19, 2012, 01:17 PM
Closed Account
Joined May 2012
1,792 Posts
Fresh batteries in TX?

Rebind TX to ESC?

Just thoughts, suggestions...

Good luck.

And again, no flying here in Texas this weekend (again), been three weeks now. Just too much dang wind.

... Lennie
.quietguy is offline Find More Posts by .quietguy
Old Oct 19, 2012, 01:48 PM
Me a long time ago
London N.E. UK
Joined Jan 2007
6,093 Posts
Quote:
Since this happened to 2 different planes. Each with their own RX. Running off different batteries. What does that mean?
Im scared to fly now. For real. Takes me forever to build these planes. I bought the DX6i new in box. But used off this site.

Thanks for all the advice so far.
Two different models. This is sounding as if it is the DX6i. But how can it be checked out?
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 19, 2012, 01:59 PM
Planes in flames,,,
Gravity Sucks
Joined Aug 2010
3,519 Posts
It's possible that you might have two bad receivers? Maybe they came from the same batch?

But

Sounds like it may be the Dx6i-

Do you have a friend running spektrum gear? you could try to bind to a known good radio?

You could also contact Horizon support and send your radio to get checked out...
jetpackninja is offline Find More Posts by jetpackninja