HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Reply
Thread Tools
Old Aug 08, 2012, 03:07 AM
Me a long time ago
Flypoppa's Avatar
London N.E. UK
Joined Jan 2007
5,831 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by .quietguy View Post
.
Just slightly left of center...

Question for all you aileron fanatics:

Example situation - making a left turn using rudder... what stick position for the ailerons?


I took several flying lessons in Cessnas - the 150 and 153. When I made those same changes in direction my controls were; slight right on the rudder, and slight right on the ailerons.


... Lennie

.
With my cub wing that has ailerons. I mix about 30% of rudder with the ailerons. My aileron stick is the right stick ( mode 2) that WAS and still is for rudder control with the non aileron wing.
So with ailerons the left stick now becomes the rudder control, with of course the throttle.
Flypoppa is offline Find More Posts by Flypoppa
Reply With Quote
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 08, 2012, 10:33 AM
Registered User
jaksno's Avatar
Norwood, CO
Joined Jul 2009
621 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flypoppa View Post
With my cub wing that has ailerons. I mix about 30% of rudder with the ailerons. My aileron stick is the right stick ( mode 2) that WAS and still is for rudder control with the non aileron wing.
So with ailerons the left stick now becomes the rudder control, with of course the throttle.
Adverse yaw doesn't seem to be any problem in a model, so don't really need rudder in a turn - just mostly for ground control.

Don't quite get what you mean about slight right rud and ail for a left turn unless you're talking about countering the roll effect of going left due to p factor/torque/precession after you have reached the desired bank angle.

You can simply bank with ail, neutralize them at the angle you want, and apply some back pressure for a very decent turn with a model. Also assuming you meant '152'.

jaksno
jaksno is offline Find More Posts by jaksno
Reply With Quote
Old Aug 08, 2012, 10:45 AM
Closed Account
Joined May 2012
1,792 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaksno View Post
Adverse yaw doesn't seem to be any problem in a model, so don't really need rudder in a turn - just mostly for ground control.

Don't quite get what you mean about slight right rud and ail for a left turn unless you're talking about countering the roll effect of going left due to p factor/torque/precession after you have reached the desired bank angle.

You can simply bank with ail, neutralize them at the angle you want, and apply some back pressure for a very decent turn with a model. Also assuming you meant '152'.

jaksno
Sorry... yes, the 152.

And what I was wondering about was some seem to use opposing aileron (to the rudder) in making a turn.

And yes, it's easier to simply use ailerons and a touch of elevator to affect a turn.

Thanks...
.quietguy is offline Find More Posts by .quietguy
Reply With Quote
Old Aug 08, 2012, 10:54 AM
Chop it, cut it, bash it
quitcherbitchen's Avatar
United States, CA, La Caņada Flintridge
Joined Jul 2011
4,839 Posts
First time I had my little voltmeter go off in flight. I used the old battery by mistake. Caught me off guard. No brown out and I am using a stock receiver which would have taken forever to reboot.
Super Cub battery alarm (0 min 57 sec)
quitcherbitchen is online now Find More Posts by quitcherbitchen
Reply With Quote
Old Aug 08, 2012, 11:04 AM
Closed Account
Joined May 2012
1,792 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by quitcherbitchen View Post
First time I had my little voltmeter go off in flight. I used the old battery by mistake. Caught me off guard. No brown out and I am using a stock receiver which would have taken forever to reboot.
Just noticed your location...

I was born and lived in Alhambra... Man, it's all changed so much - street signs in different languages, mostly asian population now...

It was a sleepy little burg when I was a kid.


Is that a park you were flying at, or school grounds/playing field?


... Lennie
.quietguy is offline Find More Posts by .quietguy
Reply With Quote
Old Aug 08, 2012, 11:17 AM
Registered User
lowdive's Avatar
anaheim, ca
Joined Apr 2005
2,541 Posts
turning with aileron and rudder (same direction) is a coordinated turn (keep the bubble in the middle):
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_tLnDx6biBD...nated_turn.png

it's actually good practice if you have both controls on your model. much more scale flying appearance and definitely good if you move up to larger models. of course, you could also use left aileron and right rudder (or vice versa) for pretty looking flat turns.

i trained on an ugly green 150. not much on looks but at least i was flying.
http://www.airport-data.com/aircraft/N5852G.html
lowdive is online now Find More Posts by lowdive
Reply With Quote
Old Aug 08, 2012, 11:38 AM
Me a long time ago
Flypoppa's Avatar
London N.E. UK
Joined Jan 2007
5,831 Posts
If you use oposite rudder with ailerons (left bank and right rudder) then that would cause the aircraft to side slip and this can be used to loose height in an approach. You would give a bit of down elevator as well.
Flypoppa is offline Find More Posts by Flypoppa
Reply With Quote
Old Aug 08, 2012, 11:43 AM
Closed Account
Joined May 2012
1,792 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by lowdive View Post
turning with aileron and rudder (same direction) is a coordinated turn (keep the bubble in the middle):
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_tLnDx6biBD...nated_turn.png

it's actually good practice if you have both controls on your model. much more scale flying appearance and definitely good if you move up to larger models. of course, you could also use left aileron and right rudder (or vice versa) for pretty looking flat turns.

i trained on an ugly green 150. not much on looks but at least i was flying.
http://www.airport-data.com/aircraft/N5852G.html

I thought the 150 was a great little aircraft... once trimmed, could fly hands-free. Very stable and an excellent little trainer.

... Lennie
.quietguy is offline Find More Posts by .quietguy
Reply With Quote
Old Aug 08, 2012, 11:44 AM
Closed Account
Joined May 2012
1,792 Posts
... and thanks to all responding to my little "poll" on turns.
.quietguy is offline Find More Posts by .quietguy
Reply With Quote
Old Aug 08, 2012, 12:12 PM
FAA - Foam Abusers Anonymous
dazed&confuzed's Avatar
USA, MN, Blaine
Joined May 2008
221 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by .quietguy View Post
.
Just slightly 'left of center'...

Question for all you aileron fanatics:

Example situation - making a right turn using rudder... in what direction would you move your stick for the ailerons? (I'm hearing a right turn would require Right Rudder mixed with some LEFT Aileron.)


I took several flying lessons in Cessnas - the 150 and 152. When I made those same changes in direction my controls were; slight right on the rudder, and slight right on the ailerons.


... Lennie

.
It works the same on small aircraft.
In full sized aircraft aileron and rudder are used together for a coordinated turn. They are used in the same direction (Right aileron and right rudder)
The exception is a steep turn where slight opposite aileron may be needed to keep the aircraft from banking and opposite rudder to keep the nose from dropping.
Crossed controls, Right aileron and left rudder (or vice versa) is called a slip and can be used to line the aircraft up with the runway in a crosswind or used on approach to steepen the angle of approach (similar to one of the functions of flaps)
dazed&confuzed is online now Find More Posts by dazed&confuzed
Last edited by dazed&confuzed; Aug 08, 2012 at 02:39 PM.
Reply With Quote
Old Aug 08, 2012, 12:15 PM
Chop it, cut it, bash it
quitcherbitchen's Avatar
United States, CA, La Caņada Flintridge
Joined Jul 2011
4,839 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by .quietguy View Post
Just noticed your location...

I was born and lived in Alhambra... Man, it's all changed so much - street signs in different languages, mostly asian population now...

It was a sleepy little burg when I was a kid.


Is that a park you were flying at, or school grounds/playing field?


... Lennie
Rose Bowl
quitcherbitchen is online now Find More Posts by quitcherbitchen
Reply With Quote
Old Aug 08, 2012, 12:27 PM
Registered User
lowdive's Avatar
anaheim, ca
Joined Apr 2005
2,541 Posts
using aileron to keep the wings level while using rudder is a slip, but with power you maintain altitude and do a flat turn. slipping while keeping the nose down is great for losing altitude quickly without gaining speed. did it a few times with the 150 from 3500' to get down to the runway. not sure of the exact math, but something like 4x more drag that way since you're using the side area of the fuselage. good times!
lowdive is online now Find More Posts by lowdive
Reply With Quote
Old Aug 08, 2012, 01:28 PM
Crash Test Engineer
Joined Nov 2011
82 Posts
Was curious if anyone who has added ailerons to the cub has put in differential? I have heard cub style planes need or at least can benefit from programming differential in on the ailerons.

We have just made an upgrade to brushless and lipo power. We also flattened the wing and added ailerons. Have not put in differential. The plane seems to fly well, but we are so new, not sure we could tell if it needs differential or not. I know it is used to reduce/eliminate adverse yaw. Was thinking about trying to add differential, but thought I would check here. How much differential would you recommend or have you setup?

Thanks in advance!

RC Dad
RC Dad is offline Find More Posts by RC Dad
Reply With Quote
Old Aug 08, 2012, 02:43 PM
FAA - Foam Abusers Anonymous
dazed&confuzed's Avatar
USA, MN, Blaine
Joined May 2008
221 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RC Dad View Post
Was curious if anyone who has added ailerons to the cub has put in differential? I have heard cub style planes need or at least can benefit from programming differential in on the ailerons.

We have just made an upgrade to brushless and lipo power. We also flattened the wing and added ailerons. Have not put in differential. The plane seems to fly well, but we are so new, not sure we could tell if it needs differential or not. I know it is used to reduce/eliminate adverse yaw. Was thinking about trying to add differential, but thought I would check here. How much differential would you recommend or have you setup?

Thanks in advance!

RC Dad
I hinged my ailerons at the top to create the differtential needed. (It's done this way on a lot of real aircraft.) The aileron going down does not protrude into the windstream as much as the one going up. thereby reducing adverse yaw.
dazed&confuzed is online now Find More Posts by dazed&confuzed
Reply With Quote
Old Aug 08, 2012, 03:21 PM
Chop it, cut it, bash it
quitcherbitchen's Avatar
United States, CA, La Caņada Flintridge
Joined Jul 2011
4,839 Posts
Use the 2 to 1 rule. Twice as much up as down. You can do this through a computer radio if you have one.
quitcherbitchen is online now Find More Posts by quitcherbitchen
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Discussion Ultimate HobbyZone SuperCub Help Thread (part 3) ArsonDave Beginner Training Area (Aircraft-Electric) 33164 Nov 14, 2010 11:35 PM
Discussion Ultimate HobbyZone SuperCub Help Thread (Part 2) guapoman2000 Beginner Training Area (Aircraft-Electric) 1102 Jul 03, 2008 11:34 AM
Discussion Ultimate HobbyZone SuperCub Help Thread (part I) TheDustyPagan Beginner Training Area (Aircraft-Electric) 8442 Apr 19, 2008 08:23 PM
The Ultimate Slow Stick Help Thread - Part 4 Martin Hunter Beginner Training Area (Aircraft-Electric) 824 May 31, 2004 01:00 AM
The Ultimate Slow Stick Help Thread - Part 2 Martin Hunter Beginner Training Area (Aircraft-Electric) 565 Feb 17, 2004 10:35 AM