HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 02, 2012, 11:17 AM
Crash Test Engineer
United States, MN, Maple Grove
Joined Nov 2011
104 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyinCowboy View Post
After installing an E-Flite 480, modding battery box, landing gear, etc, I added flaps and ailerons and CF'd the wing and vertical and horizontal stabilizers. She flies awesome. Love this plane.
We just completed a similar conversion - sans the flaps. Thinking about trying flaperons on it though. I see you kept the wing struts...we have left them off as our wing seems so rigid after glueing in the spar (arrow shaft). Have really enjoyed not having to mess with them anymore. However, wondering if we should reconsider. How has your wing performed - struts still necessary?

Thanks in advance!

RC Dad
RC Dad is online now Find More Posts by RC Dad
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 02, 2012, 11:20 AM
anaheim, ca
Joined Apr 2005
2,542 Posts
if you add a fiberglass or carbon spar there is no need for the struts unless you prefer the scale look. like you, i am happy to not mess with them anymore.
lowdive is offline Find More Posts by lowdive
Old Aug 02, 2012, 04:41 PM
Joined Jan 2012
183 Posts
Ok guys about to finish my brushless scratch built super cub. Have a few questions. Fist motor is a park 480 1020, rc customs aluminum motor mount. 4 HXT900 servos, two for tail gear two for ailerons. Orange receiver, mystery cloud-60A esc with external bec bought this one AEORC 5V 3A UBEC https://www.toysonics.com/aeorc-5v-3a-ubec.html. My question is is that bec good enough to run what I have, will be using a 1300 mah for main batt. Which leads to my 2nd question I figured the second batt powering servos would be a e-flight 11.1v 800mah 3 cell lipo that I have laying around. Is that too much or what? And if it will work how long do you think it would last/ how many main batts could I go through before she got weak. Sorry for all the ?'s but have no idea and figured this was the place to ask. I wish I would have gotten a esc with bec built in but hey I didnt so oh well. Thanx for the help guys.

on1wheel01 is offline Find More Posts by on1wheel01
Old Aug 02, 2012, 05:17 PM
Chop it, cut it, bash it
United States, CA, La Caņada Flintridge
Joined Jul 2011
5,532 Posts
Four servos and a 3a ubec is plenty. Esc is massive overkill, but OK. 800mah battery 3s will work, but for how long depends on your prop and throttle position. You could run it through the e-calc program available for free somewhere in the battery section of this forum to get a more exact number, but my feeling is it wouldn't get more then 6 minutes. That's a guess of course without using a watt meter.
quitcherbitchen is offline Find More Posts by quitcherbitchen
Old Aug 02, 2012, 05:25 PM
Fly it like you STOL it!
United States, FL, Daytona Beach
Joined Jan 2011
4,031 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by quitcherbitchen View Post
Four servos and a 3a ubec is plenty. Esc is massive overkill, but OK. 800mah battery 3s will work, but for how long depends on your prop and throttle position. You could run it through the e-calc program available for free somewhere in the battery section of this forum to get a more exact number, but my feeling is it wouldn't get more then 6 minutes. That's a guess of course without using a watt meter.
He's going to use the 800mah as an Rx pack.
You could get a great many flights out of that, figure along the lines of 50mah per flight or so. A lot of the glow guys run 500mah nicads for 30 minute flights, and do that 3 or 4 times on standard size servos. We're using micros here, so figure half the current draw or so.

I would recommend ditching the 800 and wiring in the bec to the flight pack, and/or bumping up to an 1800mah 3s main pack.
If you have to have a rx pack, you can get a 2s 500mah for $6 here to save some weight...or like I said, just tap into the ESC's main pack leads.
Endlesslag is offline Find More Posts by Endlesslag
Old Aug 02, 2012, 05:45 PM
Chop it, cut it, bash it
Joined Jul 2011
5,532 Posts
Yeah OK I was thrown off by the 3 S. That is way overkill for the receiver. I have a 800mah Life receiver pack when I don't use a ubec or bec and it last about two hours. Yeah do what Endless recommends.
Old Aug 02, 2012, 06:19 PM
Closed Account
Joined May 2012
1,792 Posts
The Super Cub...

I'm just so amazed at the following for the HZ Super Cub... the plane really has an incredible audience. And it's shown to be an adaptable platform for almost endless modifications.

One day, when I kinda master my little Champ, I hope to move up to this bird.
.quietguy is offline Find More Posts by .quietguy
Old Aug 02, 2012, 06:40 PM
Chop it, cut it, bash it
Joined Jul 2011
5,532 Posts
Oh and disable the red wire going into the throttle of the receiver to the Esc if you are using a Ubec connected to the ESC battery ports. Otherwise poof goes the receiver.
Old Aug 02, 2012, 09:13 PM
Joined Jan 2012
183 Posts
I had seen a pic of how to wire all this up. Ima have to search again and find it. I just figured Id use that 800 to help flight time. It doesn't power the stock motor correctly when at full throttle just seems to be slower rotation I figure it ia still good. If i can get more funds I may do a smaller bat
Old Aug 02, 2012, 10:48 PM
But often down to earth
Oklahoma, USA
Joined Sep 2010
736 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by on1wheel01 View Post
I had seen a pic of how to wire all this up. Ima have to search again and find it. I just figured Id use that 800 to help flight time. It doesn't power the stock motor correctly when at full throttle just seems to be slower rotation I figure it ia still good. If i can get more funds I may do a smaller bat
The receiver and servo load is so small I doubt you can measure the difference in flight time on the supercub. The extra saving in weight from removing the 800 battery might even increase your flight time. You wouldn't need as much throttle. I even power 150 leds on my supercub night flier using the flight battery for everything. The leds only take off maybe a minute from the flight time and they pull a solid 1 amp.
Steve
Floater73 is offline Find More Posts by Floater73
Old Aug 02, 2012, 10:56 PM
Life Is Good.
Texas
Joined Jan 2011
566 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RC Dad View Post
We just completed a similar conversion - sans the flaps. Thinking about trying flaperons on it though. I see you kept the wing struts...we have left them off as our wing seems so rigid after glueing in the spar (arrow shaft). Have really enjoyed not having to mess with them anymore. However, wondering if we should reconsider. How has your wing performed - struts still necessary?

Thanks in advance!

RC Dad
My wing is pretty rigid. In fact, it would probably come apart versus flexing. I haven't given much thought about removing the stock wing spars because I wonder if the rubber bands would be enough to hold the wing in place when performing high-G maneuvers. Maybe I can try extra rubber bands.

Thoughts?
FlyinCowboy is offline Find More Posts by FlyinCowboy
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 02, 2012, 11:25 PM
MO, USA
Joined Jun 2010
686 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by .quietguy View Post
I'm just so amazed at the following for the HZ Super Cub... the plane really has an incredible audience. And it's shown to be an adaptable platform for almost endless modifications.

One day, when I kinda master my little Champ, I hope to move up to this bird.
I've got a stock (2.4ghz converted) SC, a dedicated float SC, and a flattened-wing, bush-tired, aileron equipped Supercub. I also have another (still in the box) that I hope to turn into a dedicated night flyer.

In addition, I have 2x Radian, Radian Pro, 2x T-28, PZ Corsair, a crapload of the micros, etc.

Know what I fly the most? The stock (2.4 modded) Supercub. I have NO idea why that plane is so...satisfying to fly, but it is!
motoguy1 is offline Find More Posts by motoguy1
Old Aug 03, 2012, 07:05 AM
Crash Test Engineer
United States, MN, Maple Grove
Joined Nov 2011
104 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyinCowboy View Post
I wonder if the rubber bands would be enough to hold the wing in place when performing high-G maneuvers. Maybe I can try extra rubber bands.

Thoughts?
We have added two extra rubber bands, not to hold the wing on (vertically), but to help keep it from shifting backwards. If you have done the mod to add support on the trailing edge of the wing in the center (fuselage area) and add a few rubber bands, it should be ok.

Now as we are new, we are not doing any big moves (blenders, etc), but have done many full speed pull-ups to inverted and pull-ups from powered dives, without issue.

I have really enjoyed not having the struts, especially as our cub requires the wing to be taken off to install the battery. If you find you still need struts, I have seen a great mod using Spider Wire fishing line and swivels that make taking them off a breeze.
RC Dad is online now Find More Posts by RC Dad
Old Aug 03, 2012, 09:23 AM
Joined Jan 2012
183 Posts
I tried not using the struts and adding more bands. The wings wanted to fold quick but I fly wide open and try to push her lol. What I do when the hooks break of at the end I drill a small hole add in speaker wire and wrap it around the connection hook of the wing. Works great
Old Aug 03, 2012, 09:29 AM
United States, FL, North Fort Myers
Joined Apr 2011
79 Posts
SC struts ?

Anyone be specific or point me to a pic of removing the struts and strengthening
the wing ? ? Struts are a pain as I have to remove the wing to transport.
Thanks ! !
Zork
Zork is offline Find More Posts by Zork