SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jul 06, 2012, 03:07 PM
Joined Aug 2010
1 Posts
Hi! Quick question... is there any reason why I shouldn't attach the wing to the fuselage with fishing line? My rubber bands broke and I want to get flying again soon. Thanks in advance for your help!
hoosiersparky is offline Find More Posts by hoosiersparky
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 06, 2012, 03:13 PM
United States, CA, Oceanside
Joined Apr 2011
4,963 Posts
Fishing line will cut into the foam. I use rubberbands that I get at Wal-Mart at less than $3.00 a bag.
chucksolo69 is online now Find More Posts by chucksolo69
Old Jul 06, 2012, 03:15 PM
Chop it, cut it, bash it
United States, CA, La Cañada Flintridge
Joined Jul 2011
5,595 Posts
#64. Might even be able to get the post office to give you some.
quitcherbitchen is online now Find More Posts by quitcherbitchen
Old Jul 07, 2012, 10:57 AM
United States, CO, Denver
Joined Apr 2012
52 Posts
Got a full battery in on the super cub this morning, second one. Three successful landings as well. Quitcher, I put a shim under the front of the horizontal stab and it definitely helped. I realized during post flight inspection that I had trimmed the elevator the wrong direction with the control horn clevis adjustment, elevator was slightly up instead of slightly down as intended. That should help as well, we'll see during next flight. Light breeze as well and the SC handled it well. Fun to be flying something bigger than the Champ.
mwoneal is offline Find More Posts by mwoneal
Old Jul 07, 2012, 12:58 PM
Chop it, cut it, bash it
Joined Jul 2011
5,595 Posts
Glad to hear the good results.
Champ is fun, but the Cub is fun in its own way too as you can tell.
Old Jul 07, 2012, 02:07 PM
Tally Ho Chaps!
United Kingdom, England, Ipswich
Joined Mar 2012
452 Posts
Nice one mwoneal. It sounds like your training with the Champ has paid off. My Cub is now fully repaired and ready to 'fly' again, however the great British summer weather is well and truly upon us with day after day of rain and wind. Still undecided whether to persevere with the Cub or invest £80 or so in the Champ. Decisions, decisions. Whatever there will be nothing much until this weather improves.
Chompwat is offline Find More Posts by Chompwat
Old Jul 07, 2012, 04:20 PM
Help me pick up the pieces
United States, FL, Orlando
Joined Sep 2011
120 Posts
Hey guys, quick question: my friend has the supercub and is having problems with either the motor or the esc. Since the stock setup is brushed w/ gear box, i am thinking of installing one of my old 480 brushless motors and esc's. So my question is can i use the stock receiver by plugging in the esc to the throttle port? Also any suggestions on a brushless set-up would be appreciated. Thanks....lot of pages to go thru here lol!
crockett828 is offline Find More Posts by crockett828
Old Jul 07, 2012, 04:25 PM
Chop it, cut it, bash it
Joined Jul 2011
5,595 Posts
Yes you can. Just make sure the stock motor plugs are well taped. But since the Super Cub is a combined ESC receiver are you sure he is not having receiver troubles? Give it a try. Or just buy a AR400 receiver for $30 and be upgraded completely.
Old Jul 07, 2012, 06:29 PM
Y=C+I+G
United States, CA, Rosemead
Joined Jan 2012
8,317 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by crockett828 View Post
Also any suggestions on a brushless set-up would be appreciated. Thanks....lot of pages to go thru here lol!
there are suggestions on the first page of this thread http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1338787

for some reason the stock receiver refused to work with my esc (http://www.e-fliterc.com/Products/De...rodID=EFLA1030) so i got this one (http://www.spektrumrc.com/Products/D...odId=SPMAR6115). but now i use the ar6115 in my t28 instead and use a tactic 624 (http://www.tacticrc.com/tacl0624.html) in my cub. both receivers work fine and both planes have the same type esc. hope this helps.
cmdl is online now Find More Posts by cmdl
Old Jul 07, 2012, 06:54 PM
Help me pick up the pieces
United States, FL, Orlando
Joined Sep 2011
120 Posts
Thanks guys, i think i will just replace the reciever too now that i think of it. I got him into flying so if it doesnt work with the existing reciever i will have to fix it later
crockett828 is offline Find More Posts by crockett828
Old Jul 08, 2012, 01:03 AM
Norwood, CO
Joined Jul 2009
624 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chompwat View Post
Nice one mwoneal. It sounds like your training with the Champ has paid off. My Cub is now fully repaired and ready to 'fly' again, however the great British summer weather is well and truly upon us with day after day of rain and wind. Still undecided whether to persevere with the Cub or invest £80 or so in the Champ. Decisions, decisions. Whatever there will be nothing much until this weather improves.
Brother, unless you've got a great indoor flying venue, skip the cub! Once you are used to it, you will be able to fly in 10 mph winds without much trouble. In fact, when flying with floats into a small pond, I relished the 10mph wind to slow me down to 7mph or so when landing.

When the cub is properly trimmed and balanced, you skip the 'old' stock Tx that has the throttle slider instead of stick (the new ones have better Tx's), you eliminate 'pio', or 'pilot induced oscillation', you will find the cub one of the best planes out there.

Indoor is great, btw, but a different aspect of the sport.

jaksno
jaksno is offline Find More Posts by jaksno
Old Jul 08, 2012, 01:07 AM
Norwood, CO
Joined Jul 2009
624 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by crockett828 View Post
Hey guys, quick question: my friend has the supercub and is having problems with either the motor or the esc. Since the stock setup is brushed w/ gear box, i am thinking of installing one of my old 480 brushless motors and esc's. So my question is can i use the stock receiver by plugging in the esc to the throttle port? Also any suggestions on a brushless set-up would be appreciated. Thanks....lot of pages to go thru here lol!
The stock 'brick', i.e., rx/esc, is for a brushed set up. You need a burshless esc for sure. Maybe an electronic genius can make the old rx work, but why bother when you can get cheap orange rx's from Hobby King, or find another. I personally like the orange rx that has the capability of hooking up a 'satelite' rx which just about eliminates any brown outs.

The easiest set up is to just go to Headsuprc.com. They have motor, esc, perfect motor mount, batteries, etc.

jaksno
jaksno is offline Find More Posts by jaksno
Old Jul 08, 2012, 07:37 AM
Tally Ho Chaps!
United Kingdom, England, Ipswich
Joined Mar 2012
452 Posts
Jaksno, I take it you mean't skip the Champ.
My Cub came with the Spektrum 4ch Tx.
I'm sure there'll be reference somewhere in this massive thread, but I'd heard the ACT is pretty useless. It certainly hasn't helped in any of the situations I've experienced.
Can't wait to get some settled weather and hopefully complete a flight and landing the plane when I choose to.
Chompwat is offline Find More Posts by Chompwat
Old Jul 08, 2012, 08:05 AM
United States, FL, North Fort Myers
Joined Apr 2011
83 Posts
super cub act ?

will fly the super cub for the first time, should i disable the ACT ? ?
thx
zork
Zork is offline Find More Posts by Zork
Old Jul 08, 2012, 08:27 AM
United States, FL, The Villages
Joined Oct 2010
4,001 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zork View Post
will fly the super cub for the first time, should i disable the ACT ? ?
thx
zork
YES, YES, and YES!
Don
dkrhardy is offline Find More Posts by dkrhardy