HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 26, 2012, 01:03 PM
Today's forecast: Summer
United States, GA
Joined Apr 2011
248 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flying By View Post
Simply always charging at 1C doesn't make sense to me if the battery spec is to handle more, especially when you are at the field and want to have a faster charge turnaround.
True. I don't recall seeing any charge rate markings on the stock pack, so 1C it is.

Speaking of....I have a Triton EQ. When you set the mAh, is it setting only the charge rate, or is it doing something else behind the scenes? I'm guessing it's charge rate only in an effort to make it idiot-proof.
92PathSE is offline Find More Posts by 92PathSE
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 26, 2012, 11:12 PM
Canada, MB
Joined Feb 2012
505 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 92PathSE View Post
True. I don't recall seeing any charge rate markings on the stock pack, so 1C it is.

Speaking of....I have a Triton EQ. When you set the mAh, is it setting only the charge rate, or is it doing something else behind the scenes? I'm guessing it's charge rate only in an effort to make it idiot-proof.
Yes, I believe that you are correct that the HobbyZone 1300mah 3s batteries are only 1C charge rated. It is a spec that is hard to find - I saw it the other day but can't find it right now. I don't think that Hobbyzone (Parkzone) want to advertise that spec as it isn't too appealing these days compared to alternative batteries available.

If you can't find the manufacturers safe charge rate, 1C would be the safest charge rate to use.
Flying By is offline Find More Posts by Flying By
Old Jun 27, 2012, 07:05 AM
Me a long time ago
London N.E. UK
Joined Jan 2007
6,111 Posts
Just to bore you with an update of the maiden.. Can you call it a maiden with a second hand Cub? Well any way. After the mods that I have done with my £15 used Super Cub, I took it to the field on Monday. I was amazed at the short take off run needed, in fact on one it hardly went a yard before it was in the air.
But disaster struck on the last flight. I lost radio contact and it ploughed into the ground. Tail section broke off, busted prop, and other minor bits.
All was fixed for the following days flying. I also changed the motor mount that allowed me to reduce the nose weight.
Tuesday's flight went great with no mishaps.
I must get some video of the take offs. Almost a vertical climb.
My next mod is to put ailerons and flaps on the spare wing is was given.
Flypoppa is online now Find More Posts by Flypoppa
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 27, 2012, 03:16 PM
United States, FL, The Villages
Joined Oct 2010
4,001 Posts
Flypoppa - good for you! You really got a bargain on that plane, even if you had to do some repairs to get it to flight status.

Also, thanks for getting the thread back on track, it isn't for battery discussions, they have other threads for that.

Not sure if you need flaps ... if you want them, go for it, but I think the S Cub lands pretty slow as it is. If you add ailerons, give some thought to flattening the wing also. It is very easy to do!

Don
dkrhardy is offline Find More Posts by dkrhardy
Old Jun 27, 2012, 08:15 PM
Joined Dec 2007
189 Posts
Super Cub as Sailplane Tug

I hope to use my SC as a tug for a Gentle Lady 78" sailplane weighing about 28 ounces. My SC has a brushless motor and 3S lipo. (It has more than enough power to loop from level flight while wearing the OEM floats). I plan to attach the tow line at the top of the SC fuselage at the trailing edge of the wing, and to have the tow line release from the sailplane only. The club field runway is grass cut short.

Has anyone done this? Any opinions on optimum prop size? I use a 10/5 for float flying, but might go to a 11/4 for more low speed thrust in the tug role. Length of tow line? Necessary runway length?

Thanks
tourist_603 is offline Find More Posts by tourist_603
Old Jun 28, 2012, 04:05 AM
Me a long time ago
London N.E. UK
Joined Jan 2007
6,111 Posts
At the present time I am attempting to flatten the spare wing. It is on an ironing board with a weight on the middle. I have left it over night. I did put a pot that I had cooked some chicken in that was hot for a while to see if that would help.
The power system that I have in the SC is a Tower Pro 2408-21T 1400kv. I had a stock of these as I use them in a few of my models and are very versatile.
I have used 6X4s, 6X5.5, 8X6, 8X4, 7X3.5 props on this motor.
On the SC I have a 8X4, 25amp ESC and an1800 3s.

Tourist_603. I think you would be better to attach the tow line to the tail of the SC, such as the rear wheel. This is where they put it on full size tugs. Where you intend to put it, it could tangle in your tail.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 28, 2012, 09:20 AM
anaheim, ca
Joined Apr 2005
2,542 Posts
Super Cub LP glider tow (1 min 6 sec)

plane in the vid sounds stock and is pulling a glider that weighs up to 8 ounces. could be more or less. someone commented on the video, though, that they can tow a Goldberg Gentle Lady which should have a flying weight around 25 ounces. their SC has an Eflite Park 450 and 10x8 MAS.
lowdive is offline Find More Posts by lowdive
Old Jun 28, 2012, 12:18 PM
manahawkin NJ
Joined Dec 2009
1,309 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by lowdive View Post
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=irLYDIPuLhU

plane in the vid sounds stock and is pulling a glider that weighs up to 8 ounces. could be more or less. someone commented on the video, though, that they can tow a Goldberg Gentle Lady which should have a flying weight around 25 ounces. their SC has an Eflite Park 450 and 10x8 MAS.
That plane in the video looked to be struggling not enough power with the stock cub.... A brushless setup sure could pull a glider Im sure mine could and could take a glide up at a blistering speed lol but mine is over powered with a 2200kv motor...
smitty919 is offline Find More Posts by smitty919
Old Jun 28, 2012, 02:23 PM
Me a long time ago
London N.E. UK
Joined Jan 2007
6,111 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by smittyplugs View Post
That plane in the video looked to be struggling not enough power with the stock cub.... A brushless setup sure could pull a glider Im sure mine could and could take a glide up at a blistering speed lol but mine is over powered with a 2200kv motor...
I disagree mate. In the vid the Cub and the glider both got off the ground. It is not easy trying to keep a perfect position behind the tug. Even in real life it can be hard work.
As for your Cub with a 2200, that would do OK as you do have a throttle control on it.. Yes?
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 29, 2012, 01:46 PM
Joined Dec 2010
114 Posts
Is there any way to use x-port to run a servo off of a 5th channel on a dx6i? I have added ailerons, and using the stock 4ch receiver, and would like to add flaps. I'll move up to a 6 channel receiver if I need to, but I'm just tinkering around with adding flaps, so it's not a priority right now. Any help/thoughts are appreciated.
marklind is offline Find More Posts by marklind
Old Jun 29, 2012, 11:24 PM
Y=C+I+G
United States, CA, Rosemead
Joined Jan 2012
9,029 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flypoppa View Post
At the present time I am attempting to flatten the spare wing. It is on an ironing board with a weight on the middle. I have left it over night. I did put a pot that I had cooked some chicken in that was hot for a while to see if that would help.
try using packing tape across the length to maintain the zero dihedral once you're done with the heat treatment. worked well for me - at least to keep the wing flat.

speaking of my wing. alas, i had structural failure due to my rigged strut (dental floss and paper clips) not doing its job - well, snapping in mid-flight. i was pulling a series of barrel rolls and tight loops and my wing folded and sheared. this happened at about 60-70 feet. i'm surprised at the little damage - a testament to how good a plane this is. of course if i had not been lazy i would have put packing tape all the way across the length of the wing to reinforce it, instead of just halfway for dihedral negation, and would not have had this incident.

one point of worry. my motor is making a grinding noise (and a slight whine that i didn't notice before). any thoughts?
MVI 2963 (0 min 10 sec)

ps - also maidened the pkz t-28 just before the cub's fateful flight. she flew well. easy to land too. i find i can slow her down quite a bit just like with the cub. if i wasn't already sold on horizon hobby this seals it.
cmdl is offline Find More Posts by cmdl
Old Jun 30, 2012, 12:09 AM
Chop it, cut it, bash it
United States, CA, La Cañada Flintridge
Joined Jul 2011
5,763 Posts
So cmdl are going to try and repair that Cub?
quitcherbitchen is online now Find More Posts by quitcherbitchen
Old Jun 30, 2012, 12:41 AM
Y=C+I+G
Joined Jan 2012
9,029 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by quitcherbitchen View Post
So cmdl are going to try and repair that Cub?
of course. and advice welcome as always. i'm thinking gorilla glue on the wing. not sure about servo block. thoughts?
Old Jun 30, 2012, 11:26 AM
Fly it like you STOL it!
United States, FL, Daytona Beach
Joined Jan 2011
4,063 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmdl View Post
of course. and advice welcome as always. i'm thinking gorilla glue on the wing. not sure about servo block. thoughts?
GG on the wing, silicone RTV (gasket maker) on the servo block, OR do like I did and make a new one out of liteply.
Endlesslag is offline Find More Posts by Endlesslag
Old Jun 30, 2012, 11:34 AM
Y=C+I+G
Joined Jan 2012
9,029 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Endlesslag View Post
GG on the wing, silicone RTV (gasket maker) on the servo block, OR do like I did and make a new one out of liteply.
thanks. i'll go the silicone route - feeling too lazy to do more than required