HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Reply
Thread Tools
Old Jan 09, 2011, 11:57 PM
Registered User
USA, AZ, Chandler
Joined Oct 2010
20 Posts
Hey Guys - I have an LP supercub with added ailerons using two HS-55 servos. The extra servos were causing brownouts so I bought this BEC.

http://www.dimensionengineering.com/SmartBEC.htm

I went to hook it up but am stumped. Since the black box doesn't have separate wires for the receiver and ESC I'm not sure what to do with the 2 connectors.

Anyone have any experience with this BEC or any suggestions?
NDS777 is offline Find More Posts by NDS777
Reply With Quote
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 10, 2011, 12:35 AM
Build to Fly? FLY to BUILD!
Legot's Avatar
United States, AZ, Gilbert
Joined Nov 2009
1,104 Posts
Welcome to the forums NDS!

Ok, so here's the bad news about the black box.
It has a built in BEC.

SO. This means that you cannot use your BEC with the black box.

If you were to swap out the black box for your own reciever, and ESC, you would remove the center wire from the ESC plug, and connect the Red/Black wires of your BEC to the REd/Black Wires of your ESC, and plug the BEC into a free channel on the reciever.

Do you have your own RX and ESC? If not, I suggest getting them and replacing the stock electronics.

And for future reference---In this hobby, it is often easy to find products in an unreasonable price range that fit our application with minimal work.......In other words, Next time, I suggest spending more time in the planning phase before buying something......In other words, that BEC is not the best deal for the money, and in truth, might not be enough to power 5 servos, maybe the 4 that your using for ailerons, but not 5. (not that you said anything about five servos), 1.5Amps is not alot for $26, but you can still use it!---rantishthing, over...

--welcome to the world of RC electronix
Legot is offline Find More Posts by Legot
Last edited by Legot; Jan 10, 2011 at 12:43 AM.
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10, 2011, 12:11 PM
Registered User
jaksno's Avatar
Norwood, CO
Joined Jul 2009
624 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Legot View Post
Welcome to the forums NDS!

Ok, so here's the bad news about the black box.
It has a built in BEC.

SO. This means that you cannot use your BEC with the black box.

If you were to swap out the black box for your own reciever, and ESC, you would remove the center wire from the ESC plug, and connect the Red/Black wires of your BEC to the REd/Black Wires of your ESC, and plug the BEC into a free channel on the reciever.

Do you have your own RX and ESC? If not, I suggest getting them and replacing the stock electronics.

And for future reference---In this hobby, it is often easy to find products in an unreasonable price range that fit our application with minimal work.......In other words, Next time, I suggest spending more time in the planning phase before buying something......In other words, that BEC is not the best deal for the money, and in truth, might not be enough to power 5 servos, maybe the 4 that your using for ailerons, but not 5. (not that you said anything about five servos), 1.5Amps is not alot for $26, but you can still use it!---rantishthing, over...

--welcome to the world of RC electronix
Hmmm. Company does say it supports up to 6 ea 4-9 gm servos. But it is not spec'd like most esc/besc's as to 15C, 20C, 30C, etc. Maybe that is implied in the spec data also? Just wondering.
jaksno is offline Find More Posts by jaksno
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10, 2011, 12:42 PM
Registered User
Toppers's Avatar
Canada, ON, Oakville
Joined May 2008
1,947 Posts
1.5A max is very low. Most parkflyer BEC's are 3A (5A peak) minimum.

Even if you could add this to the BNF module, I doubt it would provide more power.

Legot's reply was a little harsh but unfortunately true. Next time ask for a recommendation and we can help


Toppers
Toppers is offline Find More Posts by Toppers
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10, 2011, 01:08 PM
Registered User
USA, AZ, Chandler
Joined Oct 2010
20 Posts
I agree, jaksno. If you look at the installation guide PDF, it specifically states it will handle 6 HS-55's. But the amp draw isn't adding up. I found on the net that the HS-55's pull up to 500ma, I don't know what stock parkzone servos pull. Lets say they are 500ma as well. That's 2 amps. That's already more than the peak amp rating. So I'm confused about that as well.

Legot - I agree it wasn't the best purchase. I ordered it 2 months ago (before I found servo amp draw ratings) based on the install guide saying it will support 6 servos. It just arrived last week, which is a whole different story that I'm not going to get in to. I am planning on a full electronics upgrade and was going to use this with the stock black box until I get the parts together. Obviosly, that's not going to happen. I have everything I need for a refit except an ESC. I have a spare brushless 18amp ESC and spektrum receiver. If I use a brushless esc with a brushed motor it will always spin at zero throttle correct?

Toppers - The 3amp ratings most ESC's are spec'd at is for a linear BEC. Which from what I have read is a very optimistic rating. The external one I have is a switching BEC.

In the end, I guess I just need to try it with the new equipment and see what happens. Live and learn.
NDS777 is offline Find More Posts by NDS777
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10, 2011, 01:13 PM
Registered User
USA, AZ, Chandler
Joined Oct 2010
20 Posts
According to Dimension Engineering, "Many people don't realize
that their ESC's BEC rating is misleading. With the linear BEC built into most
speed controls, the current rating decreases as pack voltage increases. For
example, several popular 25A ESCs with "3A" BECs are only capable of supplying
0.5A when running from a 3s pack".

I know most people will say they never had a problem - the internal BEC has worked fine. Is this just marketing hype or a true "safety" feature?
NDS777 is offline Find More Posts by NDS777
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10, 2011, 02:44 PM
Registered User
Toppers's Avatar
Canada, ON, Oakville
Joined May 2008
1,947 Posts
I use Spektrum and feel safer having external UBEC's (switching ) in all 9 planes to avoid potential problems, especially the Spektrum RX low voltage brown out.

I've never seen the benefit of a linear BEC in a 2.4GHz world, so never bought or used a linear BEC....

Whether this is marketing hype or necesity is impossible to prove, as you say, most people fly ESC's with integral linear BEC with no problem. For me the small investment ($4) in a 3A switching BEC is worth the effort as a bit of insurance and reduce the load (temp) on the ESC. I've been using these HK UBEC's for 3 years now without issue.


Toppers
Toppers is offline Find More Posts by Toppers
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10, 2011, 04:13 PM
Registered User
USA, AZ, Chandler
Joined Oct 2010
20 Posts
To bad i didnt see that one earlier Are you able to use it with the supercub black box?
How many servos and what type do you use it with?
NDS777 is offline Find More Posts by NDS777
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10, 2011, 04:18 PM
Build to Fly? FLY to BUILD!
Legot's Avatar
United States, AZ, Gilbert
Joined Nov 2009
1,104 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by NDS777 View Post
To bad i didnt see that one earlier Are you able to use it with the supercub black box?
How many servos and what type do you use it with?
sorry, but you just cant use a bec with the black box.
And sorry if there were any harsh feelings earlier.

I suppose that you could try to find the black box's built in bec and disconnect it, replacing it with yours, but it is most likely much more trouble than its worth.
Legot is offline Find More Posts by Legot
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10, 2011, 10:36 PM
Philippians 4:13
Seward, NE
Joined Nov 2006
5,739 Posts
Anyone need a black box or controller?

I was cleaning out a drawer tonight and found some SC stuff... I have a channel 3 controller and matching receiver. All of the ACT and both servos are still attached. The only thing missing is one of the arms on a servo and the motor/gearbox. I remember buying a SC just for the fuselage at one point so I never even flew it with these electronics. I even have an old green nimh or nicd (can't remember which that it is) and charger...
Anyone have a need for any of this stuff? I figured I might try to get a few bucks out of it otherwise, I could hold on to it for some project that comes up with the kids in the next few years :-)
ty_horn is offline Find More Posts by ty_horn
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10, 2011, 11:42 PM
Bruno, GOOD DOG
A Rdnek's Avatar
United States, IA, Grinnell
Joined Aug 2007
4,011 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by NDS777 View Post
I agree, jaksno. If you look at the installation guide PDF, it specifically states it will handle 6 HS-55's. But the amp draw isn't adding up. I found on the net that the HS-55's pull up to 500ma, I don't know what stock parkzone servos pull. Lets say they are 500ma as well. That's 2 amps. That's already more than the peak amp rating. So I'm confused about that as well.

Legot - I agree it wasn't the best purchase. I ordered it 2 months ago (before I found servo amp draw ratings) based on the install guide saying it will support 6 servos. It just arrived last week, which is a whole different story that I'm not going to get in to. I am planning on a full electronics upgrade and was going to use this with the stock black box until I get the parts together. Obviosly, that's not going to happen. I have everything I need for a refit except an ESC. I have a spare brushless 18amp ESC and spektrum receiver. If I use a brushless esc with a brushed motor it will always spin at zero throttle correct?

Toppers - The 3amp ratings most ESC's are spec'd at is for a linear BEC. Which from what I have read is a very optimistic rating. The external one I have is a switching BEC.

In the end, I guess I just need to try it with the new equipment and see what happens. Live and learn.
I don't think it will spin at all.
Ron
A Rdnek is offline Find More Posts by A Rdnek
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2011, 06:36 AM
Screw the wind, let's fly!
Naval Warfare's Avatar
Lawrenceville, Ga
Joined Feb 2008
2,722 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by A Rdnek View Post
I don't think it will spin at all.
Ron
and what would you do with that pesky 3rd wire?

Hey HC, did you get the HK 1.5m C-182 and the floats too?
Naval Warfare is offline Find More Posts by Naval Warfare
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2011, 07:32 AM
Registered User
lowdive's Avatar
anaheim, ca
Joined Apr 2005
2,542 Posts
the whole number of servos supported by the built-in bec has always bothered me. on one hand, it's obvious only so much voltage can be handled by it. on the other, there are many new RTF models out that have upwards of 9 servos or more! For instance, this plane on my "to buy" list-

http://www.bananahobby.com/2076.html

10x 9gram servos plus the gear drive retracts!

so, i dunno. i don't worry much about it unless i've paid a lot (several hundred) for something.
lowdive is offline Find More Posts by lowdive
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2011, 03:34 PM
Bass Cannon kick it! "WUB WUB"
cloaked's Avatar
Australia, NSW, Sutherland
Joined Dec 2010
2,643 Posts
That thing looks awesome lowdive.

I want footage if you do purchase.
cloaked is offline Find More Posts by cloaked
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2011, 04:59 PM
Build to Fly? FLY to BUILD!
Legot's Avatar
United States, AZ, Gilbert
Joined Nov 2009
1,104 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by A Rdnek View Post
I don't think it will spin at all.
Ron
I think it would burn out both. Brushless tend to act like dead shorts on straight (+/-) current
Legot is offline Find More Posts by Legot
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Discussion Ultimate HobbyZone SuperCub Help Thread (part 3) ArsonDave Beginner Training Area (Aircraft-Electric) 33164 Nov 14, 2010 11:35 PM
Discussion Ultimate HobbyZone SuperCub Help Thread (Part 2) guapoman2000 Beginner Training Area (Aircraft-Electric) 1102 Jul 03, 2008 11:34 AM
Discussion Ultimate HobbyZone SuperCub Help Thread (part I) TheDustyPagan Beginner Training Area (Aircraft-Electric) 8442 Apr 19, 2008 08:23 PM
The Ultimate Slow Stick Help Thread - Part 4 Martin Hunter Beginner Training Area (Aircraft-Electric) 824 May 31, 2004 01:00 AM
The Ultimate Slow Stick Help Thread - Part 2 Martin Hunter Beginner Training Area (Aircraft-Electric) 565 Feb 17, 2004 10:35 AM