Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Apr 15, 2012, 03:47 PM
2 Fast 2 Low & 2 Loud
United States, CA, Winchester
Joined Nov 2011
2,996 Posts
Death of a Super Cub
I could do some corny poem but the truth is I took my modified Cubby over the line today where there was no coming back.
She went all in at high speed, the extra weight tore the wing, the fuse, the tail apart.
She was my first plane. I'll always have fond memories of that....not the shredded foam flying in the breeze.
Long live Super cub memories.
scootrb4 is online now Find More Posts by scootrb4
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 15, 2012, 04:11 PM
Bruno, GOOD DOG
United States, IA, Grinnell
Joined Aug 2007
4,010 Posts
So, get another one quick.
Ron
A Rdnek is offline Find More Posts by A Rdnek
Old Apr 15, 2012, 05:57 PM
Joined Dec 2011
48 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkrhardy View Post
I was NOT trying to offend you. I guess I should have included a "smile" so you knew I was being sarcastic, not being mean and nasty.

You are in the right area, stay around and you will get help. Anything broken needs to be replaced before you fly again. These little critters are fairly delicate and the least vibration is not good and may tear the plane apart. That is why folks balance everything right down to a gnats ................
Look at a youtube on prop balancing. Even a brand new prop may not be balanced close enough.

Don
No worries, will keep trying until I get this thing in the air again Thanks guys.
Joelster is offline Find More Posts by Joelster
Old Apr 15, 2012, 08:13 PM
Airspeed, altitude, and brains
Wolverine MI Northern Lower Peninsula
Joined Feb 2009
439 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wopachop View Post
Ok i been thinking. So here it goes. W TF is up with the SuperChub??? I feel like there are hard core plane enthusiasts who say and do stupid things once the superCub enters the arena. I will give two examples.

On the main HobbyZone website you can click on the HZ superCub. There you find specs and modification instructions. The first major flaw is the darn website says the superCub COG is between 2.5-3 inches. That confuses new pilots like me. The COG of a plane does not have a range. Also the COG of the superCub is not even between the range they give. W TF?

Second problem is the rudder modification they teach. The designer moves the control horn forward to a meatier section of the rudder. But now the control horn is no longer in line with the pivot. Thats a major flaw to me. Or is it? Does it matter? I want symmetry between my stick inputs.

So my point...i dont frieken know. Wanted to post the picture of the control horn mod i did to bring the holes back in line with the pivot.

Its 2 control horns epoxied together. I have read glues dont stick well to the nylon horns. But just like the main HobbyZone website you cant believe everything you read.

-----
Cant write the word W T F on this forum. Oh how cute. Reinforcing the dorky never get laid vibe that goes with RC.

wopachop - I understand your confusion and consternation! (Sorry, trying to keep up the dorkyness!) In looking at that photo, I assume that the piece of nylon control horn that they glued on there is a solid, non-moving, piece. This would mean that the attachment/pivot point of the clevis to the control horn hole is at the very tip of the added nylon piece...which looks to be even with the hinge line...and therefore a perfectly valid physical relationship.

That being said, I have been flying my SC, in one configuration or another, for 4 years, and hundreds of flights...and have NEVER had any problem with the rudder control horn! And keep in mind that I have crashed her numerous times...although not much any more. I am not sure I understand why they think it needs to be changed?!

-Craig-

EDIT - nevermind...I thought that picture you posted was THEIR mod...I now understand that was your modification of their mod...NEVERMIND!
flightphotog is offline Find More Posts by flightphotog
Last edited by flightphotog; Apr 15, 2012 at 08:18 PM.
Old Apr 16, 2012, 10:19 AM
2 Fast 2 Low & 2 Loud
Joined Nov 2011
2,996 Posts
Accident investigation into the Death of a Super Cub Sunday afternoon.

I determined that the Elevator failed in a high G maneuver. While pulling up out of a high speed dive the elevator broke in the middle. Due to the control arm being connected to only one side this left the plane uncontrollable. Perhaps a better pilot could have saved it. At that speed there was little time for compensatory action. It was over in a moment.

In conclusion; there is a lot of info here about reinforcing the wing to handle the high Gs a faster (brushless conversion) will allow. But I wished I had paid as much attention to the Elevator... I have an idea of how to do it with a simple piece of flat U shaped aluminum but, alas, it's too late now.
I hope this helps somebody, I know some one can say I told you so.
Old Apr 16, 2012, 11:07 AM
Norwood, CO
Joined Jul 2009
624 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by scootrb4 View Post
Accident investigation into the Death of a Super Cub Sunday afternoon.

I determined that the Elevator failed in a high G maneuver. While pulling up out of a high speed dive the elevator broke in the middle. Due to the control arm being connected to only one side this left the plane uncontrollable. Perhaps a better pilot could have saved it. At that speed there was little time for compensatory action. It was over in a moment.

In conclusion; there is a lot of info here about reinforcing the wing to handle the high Gs a faster (brushless conversion) will allow. But I wished I had paid as much attention to the Elevator... I have an idea of how to do it with a simple piece of flat U shaped aluminum but, alas, it's too late now.
I hope this helps somebody, I know some one can say I told you so.
A simple solution: epoxy a piece of 'stick' along the top and or bottom of the center section of the elevator as a preventive measure. Soften the edges all around on the 'top side' of the 'stick', paint, and you'll never notice it.

jo
jaksno is offline Find More Posts by jaksno
Old Apr 16, 2012, 08:40 PM
2 Fast 2 Low & 2 Loud
Joined Nov 2011
2,996 Posts
A few grams of prevention.
Old Apr 16, 2012, 10:36 PM
Joined Apr 2007
1,954 Posts
This fella seen a few flights. Looked tough sitting there wanted to share the pic.
wopachop is offline Find More Posts by wopachop
Old Apr 17, 2012, 12:34 AM
2 Fast 2 Low & 2 Loud
Joined Nov 2011
2,996 Posts
Quote:
This fella seen a few flights. Looked tough sitting there wanted to share the pic.

Hey, You got enough prop on that biotch!?
Old Apr 17, 2012, 07:01 PM
United States, FL, The Villages
Joined Oct 2010
3,994 Posts
Quote:
What is with those tires? I'm serious, tell me!
Don
dkrhardy is offline Find More Posts by dkrhardy
Old Apr 17, 2012, 10:14 PM
anaheim, ca
Joined Apr 2005
2,542 Posts
wait.... you haven't been keeping up with _every_ post? shame shame! them tires is drilled out to reduce some of their weight.

even found the posts for ya!

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...99&postcount=1
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...6&postcount=11
lowdive is offline Find More Posts by lowdive
Last edited by lowdive; Apr 17, 2012 at 10:29 PM.
Old Apr 18, 2012, 10:45 AM
United States, FL, The Villages
Joined Oct 2010
3,994 Posts
lowdive - you KNOW I've been here all the time! But, I sure did miss the photos and narative on the "three oh" set up! So it was just a "lighten these suckers a bit" kind of thing. I thought maybe, just maybe, it was to soften the landings a bit. Tires squish rather than bounce. Not! So who is going to follow the lead and go a bit bigger, maybe three fives?

Don
dkrhardy is offline Find More Posts by dkrhardy
Old Apr 18, 2012, 11:08 AM
Planes in flames,,,
Gravity Sucks
Joined Aug 2010
3,400 Posts
Me

Four O's

jetpackninja is offline Find More Posts by jetpackninja
Old Apr 18, 2012, 11:11 AM
Planes in flames,,,
Gravity Sucks
Joined Aug 2010
3,400 Posts
OK- maybe I exaggerated, they are only 100mm
jetpackninja is offline Find More Posts by jetpackninja
Old Apr 18, 2012, 11:45 AM
anaheim, ca
Joined Apr 2005
2,542 Posts
i have 5" dubro softies.... on my 6' w.s. cub!
lowdive is offline Find More Posts by lowdive