SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Nov 15, 2010, 07:28 PM
Rock Chalk Hawks!!!!
Wichita, Ks
Joined Oct 2009
310 Posts
By the way, I just started a new job a couple of weeks ago at a company that makes composite aircraft parts. There is enough material in one of their trash cans at the end of the day to keep me in carbon fiber for the rest of my life!
Hootch is offline Find More Posts by Hootch
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 15, 2010, 07:43 PM
In the 20' glider range
Boise, Idaho
Joined Jul 2009
4,503 Posts
Luck!
Ag is in the House yall! hahah
anti-gravity is offline Find More Posts by anti-gravity
Old Nov 15, 2010, 09:17 PM
Colorado Springs, CO.
Joined Mar 2009
327 Posts
It's nice that Horizon Hobby is thinking ahead about future planes, but I think they need to do a lot better job of getting their planes out when they say they will. Remember the Super Cub LP BNF from last year, where the shipping date kept slipping from Nov 09 until it actually shipped in March 2010? The new "UMX Beast" and others have been sliding their shipping dates this year. That is really annoying. I don't think they realize just how much they are ticking off their customer base. I want to get a certain Horizon Hobby plane for my grandson, but I just can't trust them to deliver when they say they will.
Scarface26 is offline Find More Posts by Scarface26
Last edited by Scarface26; Nov 15, 2010 at 09:23 PM.
Old Nov 15, 2010, 09:44 PM
What's tomorrows forecast?
indiana
Joined Jun 2009
283 Posts
Still on board... Thanx Arsondave for keeping it alive. This is the group of guys that got me addicted to rcgroups and has kept my super cub in the air and flying. it would be a shame to see this thread be a problem for the site. Just had to let everyone know and say thanks... again.
coinworker is offline Find More Posts by coinworker
Old Nov 15, 2010, 10:17 PM
No Guts, No Glory!
USA, WA, South Hill
Joined Sep 2008
3,160 Posts
Viva los Super Cub!!!

Viva los Super Cub!!!
HuffDaddy is online now Find More Posts by HuffDaddy
Old Nov 15, 2010, 10:39 PM
Canada, AB, Coronation
Joined Jun 2010
464 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by girmann View Post
Anyone else see this from Horizon Hobby in their inbox this morning?

"We have several projects we are working on, including a high powered clipped wing HobbyZone Super Cub mod we are planning on offering as a kit. The prototype is a riot to fly. We'll have more news soon."

Is this new news, or am I just behind the times?
oh great just when I'm screwing up the courage to build a NACA4415 wing w/ailerons too.
russ_hillis is offline Find More Posts by russ_hillis
Old Nov 15, 2010, 11:03 PM
Philippians 4:13
Seward, NE
Joined Nov 2006
5,739 Posts
I love my Super Cubs!
ty_horn is offline Find More Posts by ty_horn
Old Nov 16, 2010, 12:13 AM
old pilot
Rapid City SD
Joined Dec 2007
3,822 Posts
Guys, we owe a huge accolade to those who are making our SC fun possible:

Dave, thank you so much for your work organizing the SC threads so SC freaks can find what they need. It is priceless.

Thanks oodles to Jim and Jim and the admins who give us this wonderful way to share info.

Huge thanks to the HZ guys who designed and produced the SC, such a wonderful trainer that can be modded for all the wild stuff we do with it.

And thanks to all the orangutans who hang out on this thread, keep us entertained and up too late, and show us how to stretch the SC envelop

SC forever

Icky
Ickarusmelt is offline Find More Posts by Ickarusmelt
Old Nov 16, 2010, 05:37 AM
Screw the wind, let's fly!
Lawrenceville, Ga
Joined Feb 2008
2,722 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by lowdive View Post
i don't agree that they are a waste of time. they are either too small to be effective or you need more weight in the plane to "feel" the difference. for hinges, try control horns. bases attach to wing and flap. link together at the hole furthest out from the base. kind of makes it a slatted flap. there do seem to be flap hinges out there, though i haven't spent much time searching. this thread has a good picture of one and also designs to make your own.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=627233

check out the first picture in post #3. i suspect the two control horns would work about the same...
your 1st two sentences sound conflicting.But, this can be cleared up by answering this question...

Did you install flaps on yours?

Here's the hinges I'd use.That is, if I wanted to waste my time

http://www.sonictronics.com/xcart/pr...=16168&cat=321
&page=1
Get your airliner up yet?
Naval Warfare is offline Find More Posts by Naval Warfare
Old Nov 16, 2010, 05:58 AM
Screw the wind, let's fly!
Lawrenceville, Ga
Joined Feb 2008
2,722 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hootch View Post
By the way, I just started a new job a couple of weeks ago at a company that makes composite aircraft parts. There is enough material in one of their trash cans at the end of the day to keep me in carbon fiber for the rest of my life!
Oh you poor man.We'll expect great things from you now..

Quote:
Originally Posted by girmann View Post
Anyone else see this from Horizon Hobby in their inbox this morning?

"We have several projects we are working on, including a high powered clipped wing HobbyZone Super Cub mod we are planning on offering as a kit. The prototype is a riot to fly. We'll have more news soon."

Is this new news, or am I just behind the times?
Got a link to it?
Naval Warfare is offline Find More Posts by Naval Warfare
Old Nov 16, 2010, 11:28 AM
raz
Sportin my new 'do'
USA, CA, Eureka
Joined Dec 2004
6,234 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ickarusmelt View Post
Guys, we owe a huge accolade to those who are making our SC fun possible:

Dave, thank you so much for your work organizing the SC threads so SC freaks can find what they need. It is priceless.

Thanks oodles to Jim and Jim and the admins who give us this wonderful way to share info.

Huge thanks to the HZ guys who designed and produced the SC, such a wonderful trainer that can be modded for all the wild stuff we do with it.

And thanks to all the orangutans who hang out on this thread, keep us entertained and up too late, and show us how to stretch the SC envelop

SC forever

Icky

You sure got that right Icky.

I am really anxious to see the new HP clipped wing SC when it comes out! I may have to get another SC yet.
raz is offline Find More Posts by raz
Old Nov 16, 2010, 12:02 PM
anaheim, ca
Joined Apr 2005
2,542 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Naval Warfare View Post
your 1st two sentences sound conflicting.But, this can be cleared up by answering this question...

Did you install flaps on yours?
a heavier plane is faster which means greater affect from the flaps. not enough to overcome the extra speed but you're more likely to see some result from the deflection. if, however, they are simply made larger you are creating a lot more drag. add a proper hinge and you get more lift along with the drag (creating a larger wing) and lower stall speed.

i have the cessna wing with flaps/ailerons built into it. haven't used it yet. i have taped card stock to the battery door (connected to a servo) and have been successful using it as an air brake (opens 45 degrees). its surface area is around 4 times greater than any of the flaps i've seen added to a supercub. so... more surface area is needed to make flaps work. the air brake keeps it mellow in a dive.

Quote:
Here's the hinges I'd use.That is, if I wanted to waste my time

http://www.sonictronics.com/xcart/pr...cat=321&page=1
awesome! when i can, i'll get some of those. the back and down movement should work much better.

Quote:
Get your airliner up yet?

have had too much crap going on (seems like forever now) and have had no place to work on it. especially now with holidays approaching. i've been living vicariously through your videos.
lowdive is offline Find More Posts by lowdive
Old Nov 16, 2010, 03:37 PM
strawcuter
Winchester, KY
Joined Feb 2004
284 Posts
Subscribed.

Super Cub with Floats &

Super Cub with big wheels

Bob
strawcuter is offline Find More Posts by strawcuter
Old Nov 16, 2010, 05:12 PM
Rock Chalk Hawks!!!!
Wichita, Ks
Joined Oct 2009
310 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Naval Warfare View Post
Oh you poor man.We'll expect great things from you now..
There will be some things. I don't know about great....but there will be some things.
Hootch is offline Find More Posts by Hootch
Old Nov 16, 2010, 08:42 PM
slowest builder ever
Dacula GA
Joined Jun 2006
347 Posts
Checking into the new SC thread.....now to find my batterys....I hate moving.
wilky is offline Find More Posts by wilky