SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Mar 23, 2011, 01:31 PM
Airspeed, altitude, and brains
Wolverine MI Northern Lower Peninsula
Joined Feb 2009
439 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by turnerm View Post
I'm currently using the stock prop for the T-28. I think it's 9.5X7.5 but I have a spare 10X7 sitting aroudn so I'll give that a try as it should add a little more speed.

I think my wing tip stalls have been due to making too sharp of turns with the wind. What I mean is that on both days, the wind was blowing in the direction of the 180 degree turn I was trying to make so I was going into the wind and trying to turn 180 degrees downwind. I think when I make that turn too quickly the wind causes the plane to enter a spiralling stall. It's difficult to pull it out once it gets started.
Keep in mind that stalls are all about airspeed. Let's say you are flying in a 10 knot wind. Flying into the wind, you get to add that 10 knots to your ground speed to get your actual airspeed, which is giving you plenty to keep above the stall speed of your plane. But when you make an abrupt 180 degree turn, at some point your groundspeed may get close to zero as you are changing drection. It takes a certain amount of time to get your momentum back, and for a short time that tail wind is radically reducing your actual airspeed, quite possibly sending you below the stall speed. Add to that the fact that at some point during the turn, you probably dropped below stall, AND had a cross wind pushing against the bottom of that high wing, further increasing the lift on that side of the plane. That can be a tough situation to get out of, especially if you were coming in to land and you were close to the ground.

-Craig-
flightphotog is offline Find More Posts by flightphotog
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 23, 2011, 03:03 PM
Joined Feb 2009
439 Posts
Flying Wild Alaska

Through numerous tips from this thread and the 'SC on Floats' thread, I have been watching 'Flying Wild Alaska' online (I don't have cable or satellite at home). Very entertaining show. Not only the scenery and the flying. But am I the only one who thinks that Ariel Tweto might just possibly be the cutest woman on the planet?! Maybe it's just me.

-Craig-
Old Mar 23, 2011, 03:17 PM
Gone Huckin'
Charlotte, NC
Joined Jan 2011
9,259 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by flightphotog View Post
Through numerous tips from this thread and the 'SC on Floats' thread, I have been watching 'Flying Wild Alaska' online (I don't have cable or satellite at home). Very entertaining show. Not only the scenery and the flying. But am I the only one who thinks that Ariel Tweto might just possibly be the cutest woman on the planet?! Maybe it's just me.

-Craig-
Quote:
Keep in mind that stalls are all about airspeed. Let's say you are flying in a 10 knot wind. Flying into the wind, you get to add that 10 knots to your ground speed to get your actual airspeed, which is giving you plenty to keep above the stall speed of your plane. But when you make an abrupt 180 degree turn, at some point your groundspeed may get close to zero as you are changing drection. It takes a certain amount of time to get your momentum back, and for a short time that tail wind is radically reducing your actual airspeed, quite possibly sending you below the stall speed. Add to that the fact that at some point during the turn, you probably dropped below stall, AND had a cross wind pushing against the bottom of that high wing, further increasing the lift on that side of the plane. That can be a tough situation to get out of, especially if you were coming in to land and you were close to the ground.

-Craig-
I think you've hit the proverbial nail on the head!!
turnerm is offline Find More Posts by turnerm
Old Mar 23, 2011, 03:21 PM
FAA - Foam Abusers Anonymous
USA, MN, Blaine
Joined May 2008
250 Posts
Quote:

-Craig-
Not quite right...
The aircraft does not care what it's groundspeed is. Stalls are all about airspeed (And angle of attack) The aircraft is flying in the air above the ground. The problem can come from the "Dreaded" downwind turn. Your airspeed does not change when you turn from an upwind leg to a downwind one. But you are in a banked turn which gives you a higher stall speed and a very small change of wind speed can push one wing into a stall. An uncoordinated turn (No rudder) will make the effect even worse.

Good info on stalls: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stall_(flight)
dazed&confuzed is online now Find More Posts by dazed&confuzed
Old Mar 23, 2011, 04:13 PM
Joined Jun 2008
268 Posts
Windshield decal....

I'm finishing up on my brushless Super Cub build, and I am putting on the decals. What is the best way to apply the windshield decal where is has to go around the front wing hold-down rods? It looks like it will be hard to cut it out around that rod...

Thanks for any help
Mike
aclinml is offline Find More Posts by aclinml
Old Mar 23, 2011, 04:37 PM
Bass Cannon kick it! "WUB WUB"
Australia, NSW, Sutherland
Joined Dec 2010
2,644 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Naval Warfare View Post
One six right/Efflux Rc "Gary" is a good friend of mine and he has tried several times in vain to doppler my speed runs for me. Our props are just too quiet. Sooo while all the other rules that you wrote of are good, doppler isnt feasible. I'd like to make it this easy. (2) 7 second straight line runs, (meaning NO DIVING) on video with a radar gun right there, so there is no doubt it was "that" plane. I dont care about up or down wind.100mph in either direction is a phenomenal feat for a Cub dontcha think?. It just stayin together at that speed is awesome.
I can tell anyone wishing to try..Do not attempt with anything but a nearly new tail section.
Thoughts???

Ahh see this is what we need! Insight!

Hmm I like your rule modifications, although I will be somewhat limited as those Bushnell Radar guns are like $550 down here. But I will be in for the spirit however wont be able to compete.

Cant wait till my aluminum mounts gets here! Have my correct thrust lines again. I have also bought some Dubro Aileron Hinges to replace my ghetto packing tape. Cmon SC you gonna be fast!
cloaked is offline Find More Posts by cloaked
Old Mar 23, 2011, 04:47 PM
Joined Feb 2009
439 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dazed&confuzed View Post
Not quite right...
The aircraft does not care what it's groundspeed is. Stalls are all about airspeed (And angle of attack) The aircraft is flying in the air above the ground. The problem can come from the "Dreaded" downwind turn. Your airspeed does not change when you turn from an upwind leg to a downwind one. But you are in a banked turn which gives you a higher stall speed and a very small change of wind speed can push one wing into a stall. An uncoordinated turn (No rudder) will make the effect even worse.

Good info on stalls: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stall_(flight)
You are right about the airplane not caring what the groundspeed is...and the pilot never really pays alot of attention to the groundspeed...if he/she is IN the plane flying it (full-scale, obviously). I guess what I was refering to was flying an R/C plane. True, the plane doesn't care about groundspeed, but the pilot standing on the ground only has groundspeed to go by. Especially if they are a relative newby to flying, when the plane does a 180 from into the wind to away from the wind, all of a sudden the speed looks to be too much. Let's take that 10 knot wind. Let's go with a 20 knot airspeed for the plane (which, for the SC in the hands of a low-hour pilot, is a fairly quick speed, especially near the ground). To the pilot, this would make the plane look like it is doing 10 knots as it is flying into the wind...entirely controllable. Now make that fairly abrupt 180, and suddenly the plane is doing 30 knots in relation to him/her! I don't know about anyone else, but when I first started flying, 30 knots at about 15 or 20 feet high was MOVIN'!!! The unfortunate reaction to this is to reduce throttle...and I think we all know what that will cause. Just my humble opinion.

-Craig-
Old Mar 23, 2011, 04:58 PM
FAA - Foam Abusers Anonymous
USA, MN, Blaine
Joined May 2008
250 Posts
Quote:
You are right about the airplane not caring what the groundspeed is...and the pilot never really pays alot of attention to the groundspeed...if he/she is IN the plane flying it (full-scale, obviously). I guess what I was refering to was flying an R/C plane. True, the plane doesn't care about groundspeed, but the pilot standing on the ground only has groundspeed to go by. Especially if they are a relative newby to flying, when the plane does a 180 from into the wind to away from the wind, all of a sudden the speed looks to be too much. Let's take that 10 knot wind. Let's go with a 20 knot airspeed for the plane (which, for the SC in the hands of a low-hour pilot, is a fairly quick speed, especially near the ground). To the pilot, this would make the plane look like it is doing 10 knots as it is flying into the wind...entirely controllable. Now make that fairly abrupt 180, and suddenly the plane is doing 30 knots in relation to him/her! I don't know about anyone else, but when I first started flying, 30 knots at about 15 or 20 feet high was MOVIN'!!! The unfortunate reaction to this is to reduce throttle...and I think we all know what that will cause. Just my humble opinion.

-Craig-
Now I see where you were going with that.
Yes it can "look" like the plane is suddenly moving really fast after turning downwind, but it is really a dangerous illusion. If the pilot reduces the throttle and pulls up on the elevator it could drop the plane below stalling speed quickly. One thing I was taught that helps me with that is: The elevator controls airspeed and the throttle controls altitude. The worst thing you can do on any slow turn at low altitude is pull up on the elevator. Better to add power. (Of course the throttle on these aircraft seem to have a lot more effect on what happens )
dazed&confuzed is online now Find More Posts by dazed&confuzed
Old Mar 23, 2011, 05:42 PM
Newbury, VT
Joined Aug 2010
262 Posts
Oh no!...It's the dreaded downwind turn discussion getting started here on the Ultimate HobbyZone Super Cub Help Thread Part 4!...God save us all!

LaneVT
LaneVT is offline Find More Posts by LaneVT
Old Mar 23, 2011, 06:09 PM
Joined Feb 2009
439 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaneVT View Post
Oh no!...It's the dreaded downwind turn discussion getting started here on the Ultimate HobbyZone Super Cub Help Thread Part 4!...God save us all!

LaneVT
Not to worry...conversation over. I think we covered all of it.
Old Mar 23, 2011, 06:28 PM
Screw the wind, let's fly!
Lawrenceville, Ga
Joined Feb 2008
2,722 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cloaked View Post
Ahh see this is what we need! Insight!

Hmm I like your rule modifications, although I will be somewhat limited as those Bushnell Radar guns are like $550 down here. But I will be in for the spirit however wont be able to compete.

Cant wait till my aluminum mounts gets here! Have my correct thrust lines again. I have also bought some Dubro Aileron Hinges to replace my ghetto packing tape. Cmon SC you gonna be fast!
$550.00 for a bushnell? I got mine (Bushnell speedster II) for 90.00usd on amazon.com
Naval Warfare is offline Find More Posts by Naval Warfare
Old Mar 23, 2011, 06:31 PM
Screw the wind, let's fly!
Lawrenceville, Ga
Joined Feb 2008
2,722 Posts
Quote:
Not to worry...conversation over. I think we covered all of it.
Covered it? So it "hides a nasty stain, that's lyin there"?
Couldnt help it, dang songs stuck in my head and will remain so.
Naval Warfare is offline Find More Posts by Naval Warfare
Old Mar 23, 2011, 06:41 PM
Bass Cannon kick it! "WUB WUB"
Australia, NSW, Sutherland
Joined Dec 2010
2,644 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Naval Warfare View Post
$550.00 for a bushnell? I got mine (Bushnell speedster II) for 90.00usd on amazon.com
Yeah Australia is Price Gouge City, Happens with Video Games and RC Aircraft too. The RC aircraft I can understand as you have shipping/customs/gst etc but for digitally delivered video games. Its just a rort!

But anyway Ill race my missus to race the ute alongside and take a video of it next to her.

The aussie speed test way
cloaked is offline Find More Posts by cloaked
Old Mar 23, 2011, 06:46 PM
Enough Power? -NEVER ENOUGH!
North-Eastern Saskatchewan, Canada -Eh?!
Joined Apr 2008
1,386 Posts
Quote:

-Craig-
would you be able to tell me the site were you watched them online? i missed a few and want to see them
monboy10 is offline Find More Posts by monboy10
Old Mar 23, 2011, 06:58 PM
Bruno, GOOD DOG
United States, IA, Grinnell
Joined Aug 2007
4,012 Posts
Quote:

-Craig-
Oh! I wrote in here after the show that is the hottest Eskimo I have ever seem.
Ron
A Rdnek is offline Find More Posts by A Rdnek