Old Mar 22, 2011, 07:24 PM
Screw the wind, let's fly!
Lawrenceville, Ga
Joined Feb 2008
2,722 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2500GENE View Post
Make it 100.
From the 10 cc song. "I know you know, it doesnt mean, that much to me".
name the song.

Besides, Ive got 100 out on whoever can corrupt your video files.except the flying brick of course.Lulu offered but since she a family member I told her no.

I like Rons bet though. Cuz I know he can't.. ha ha ha

Good one Russ
Naval Warfare is offline Find More Posts by Naval Warfare
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 22, 2011, 08:40 PM
Airspeed, altitude, and brains
Wolverine MI Northern Lower Peninsula
Joined Feb 2009
439 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Naval Warfare View Post
From the 10 cc song. "I know you know, it doesnt mean, that much to me".
name the song.

Besides, Ive got 100 out on whoever can corrupt your video files.except the flying brick of course.Lulu offered but since she a family member I told her no.

I like Rons bet though. Cuz I know he can't.. ha ha ha

Good one Russ
'I'm Not in Love' by 10 CC...good song...Great band!
flightphotog is offline Find More Posts by flightphotog
Old Mar 22, 2011, 09:41 PM
Rock Chalk Hawks!!!!
Wichita, Ks
Joined Oct 2009
310 Posts
Hey guys, it's been a while. Thought I'd give you an update. We hit 30 weeks today and little Hootch is still in there cooking. The wife's been in the hospital on strict bed rest for over a month now. She was very ready to go home with me Sunday night, but luckily I was able to talk her down. If you hear about a hostage situation in the Wichita area involving some nurses and a raving pregnant woman you'll know it was us . That was her first major breakdown so she's doing great. The baby is looking good. They are estimating her at about 2 and a half pounds now. One month down and one more to go! Keep us in your thoughts and prayers and go fly for me!
Hootch is offline Find More Posts by Hootch
Old Mar 22, 2011, 09:49 PM
In the 20' glider range
Boise, Idaho
Joined Jul 2009
4,503 Posts
Best of luck.
Prayers for ya
anti-gravity is offline Find More Posts by anti-gravity
Old Mar 22, 2011, 10:12 PM
Bass Cannon kick it! "WUB WUB"
Australia, NSW, Sutherland
Joined Dec 2010
2,643 Posts
Great news Hootch.

Get the missus a Balsa model to build to keep her occupied and then you can fly it and give her building tips :P

IN all seriousness!

Naval Warfare... the only reason I have a clipped wing is because a tree clipped it for me. I just made it neat and took the Dihedral out of it by removing the middle section.

But I say we make this challange come to fruition! Tell me what you think of these rules.

SuperCub Top Speed Competition............RULES:
1. Airframe.. any version, of the HobbyZone SuperCub (Except Mini SC)
2. Electric - Other then that if you can fit it and fly it. PROVE IT!
3. Modifications.. The final appearance must resemble and be recognizable as a "SuperCub" and the main wing must remain unmodofied in length or width.....With that in mind, any and all other modifications may be carried out by the builder/modifier.

.................................................. ................................................
This is an online Competition only, as the current contestents span the Globe form the Frozen Canadian's to the Sunburnt Aussies and all the flavours of USA in between.
There is no deadline. We'll keep the thread updated for as long as there is interest.
Anyone may post at any time.
Smack talk is always fun, but keep it fun and don't be a jerk.
.................................................. ................................................
Speed run criteria:
...All speed runs must be from the same continuous flight.
...1 upwind and 1 downwind pass is required. Your speed will be the average of the best upwind and downwind passes.
...The total number of passes is up to you. (2 minimum)
...NO DIVING..please attempt to make a fairly level (within ~10*) final turn into speed run.
Genrally, the straight run should be maintained for 7-10 sec. (for doppler acquisition) DO NOT turn or pull up prematurely. as the doppler shift will be indestinguishably clipped.
.................................................. .................................................
SPEED RUN VERIFICATION
For online puposes. an UNCUT video is the best. This will be used for Doppler analysis. Do you best to keep the SC in frame during the speed runs.
...Undopplerable passes will not be considered.

.. Be sure to record location, time of day, and the ambient temperature at the time of the flight.

Flights without location, & time will not be considered.
Doppler analysis will be required by two different RCG members, with the graphs being posted in the thread. The contestant may be one of the doppler submitters.

RADAR is acceptable with video or still shots of both SC in the air and the RADAR readout (not necessarily in the the same shot)

__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ _____________________________________

And I stole most of that Shamelessly from the Monster Squall Speed thread. I hope One Six Right doesnt mind. If he does Ill change it.

So.... Thoughts?
cloaked is offline Find More Posts by cloaked
Last edited by cloaked; Mar 22, 2011 at 10:37 PM.
Old Mar 22, 2011, 10:57 PM
Newbury, VT
Joined Aug 2010
262 Posts
Closer by still no cigar!

Well, the wind blew her out of the tall tree last night. Now she's fetched up in an understory hemlock but still about 30 - 40 feet up. Gene, I tried the PVC conduit but it was like trying to poke a wet noodle up through there. From outside the dripline, where I can see the plane, the feathery hemlock boughs provide no support what-so-ever to the conduit. Up close to the trunk, where there are stiff branches for support, I can't see the plane. The footing is miserable under there too; steep snow/ice covered sidehill. I may pick up some larger diameter (stiffer) conduit tomorrow; 3 sections (30') is about the max I can handle in there. Maybe try graduating down from 1 1/4 to 1 to 3/4? Afraid I'll have to drag a ladder over there too. I like the casting rod and weight idea but all I've got is fly rods and UL spinning gear!

On the bright side, I bought some skivvies at Kohls on the way home for 15% off. Seniors discount day.

LaneVT
LaneVT is offline Find More Posts by LaneVT
Old Mar 23, 2011, 02:23 AM
Big Red
Joined Feb 2011
34 Posts
Clipped and Brushless

Hey there everyone!
Well my SC LP RTF went brushless over the weekend in addition to my clipped wings and I absolutely love(d) it! Unfortunately the brushless maiden was short lived due to a faulty battery connection...

Anyways, I went with a PZ T-28 motor, PZ Longwire Servos (should have gone with the standard length), AR6100e RX, and Eflite 25 amp ESC. I made the motor mount with a combination of various ideas from the forum as well as a few of my own. The base is the SC stock motor mount sanded down with a balsa mid section followed by the stock T-28 mount sanded down as well. The prop is at the stock thrust hight/angle and sits at about the stock length out the cowl.

Clipped Wings, pre-brushless (for the wings I just measured 5 inches from the tips and took a nice steak knife to them)

The maiden with the brushless was a complete success for the first 5 minutes, full of nearly unlimited vertical (which I'm sure could be achieved with a better prop), and all sorts of crazy limited 3D. Although it isn't the most advanced gear on board, the speed and precision of the servos was quite noticeable (I was using a DX7 so that helped in fine tuning).

Sadly I was preparing for a high speed pass when I had sudden loss of control; no throttle, rudder or elevator. My family and I watched in horror as Big Red plummeted towards the earth and listened to the sickening thud as it made impact. This was the first major crash I had had with the SC and I'll admit was expecting to find it in pieces. Somehow though it survived quite intact, with only the cowl being destroyed as well as some of the fuse being cracked. The big damage came to the actual motor shaft as it looked to be a direct impact to the spinner. It works just fine except the circle eights it makes as it spins. In my frustration to remove the shaft I somehow stripped the locking nuts (or whatever they are) so at this point I might just run it as is for now... Long story short fixed everything with GG and packing tape and waiting for the weather to clear up here. Oh and after some investigating I discovered that the battery I was using had a severed wire that came apart often.

When I ordered my new cowl, I also added a PZ T-28 to the cart, so that should make things interesting in the near future...
Coastie7 is offline Find More Posts by Coastie7
Old Mar 23, 2011, 08:28 AM
Joined Aug 2009
2,071 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Naval Warfare View Post
I got $20.00 bucks cash for the first person that videos a RADAR shot of "their" 100 mph cub.Just like this video is done

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=knUa5BfhXbs

NO CLIPPING of the wing though.Thats cheatin. I did my 88mph with the all 47.75 or nearly so (road rash)

Its called a tip stall wherein the outer part of the wing stalls before the root

Nice plane, and you can go even farther with it.
Thanks, I didn't build it just for raw speed though. I clipped the wing to give it more of a balance between speed and aerobatic capability while still having, more or less, stock cub stability. It flies almost like a low wing sport plane. I've also thought about using a symetrical wing also.

No problem upping the speed though. I don't think 100 is out of the question. Maybe I'll work on a top speed version.
19000rpm is offline Find More Posts by 19000rpm
Old Mar 23, 2011, 08:55 AM
Gone Huckin'
Charlotte, NC
Joined Jan 2011
9,259 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coastie7 View Post
The maiden with the brushless was a complete success for the first 5 minutes, full of nearly unlimited vertical (which I'm sure could be achieved with a better prop), and all sorts of crazy limited 3D. Although it isn't the most advanced gear on board, the speed and precision of the servos was quite noticeable (I was using a DX7 so that helped in fine tuning).

Sadly I was preparing for a high speed pass when I had sudden loss of control; no throttle, rudder or elevator. My family and I watched in horror as Big Red plummeted towards the earth and listened to the sickening thud as it made impact. This was the first major crash I had had with the SC and I'll admit was expecting to find it in pieces. Somehow though it survived quite intact, with only the cowl being destroyed as well as some of the fuse being cracked. The big damage came to the actual motor shaft as it looked to be a direct impact to the spinner. It works just fine except the circle eights it makes as it spins. In my frustration to remove the shaft I somehow stripped the locking nuts (or whatever they are) so at this point I might just run it as is for now... Long story short fixed everything with GG and packing tape and waiting for the weather to clear up here. Oh and after some investigating I discovered that the battery I was using had a severed wire that came apart often.

When I ordered my new cowl, I also added a PZ T-28 to the cart, so that should make things interesting in the near future...
Nice looking plane! I've got a very similar set-up but with the Park 480 motor in it and a 40a ESC (I thought it was 60a the other day but it's 40a). Mine also has a clipped wing and the dyhedral removed.

Do you find that the plane wants to enter a wing tip stall very easily? I crashed it like that yesterday and broke the fuse in half. Fixed it last night and tried it again this morning. It flew fine but I had another strange stall like behavior where it just enters a spin towards the ground. I was able to basically pull it up enough so that when it hit the ground it did no damage but now I'm concerned that something is wrong. I had plenty of speed so it shouldn't have stalled like that.

It was pretty windy though (probably 10-11 mph steady wind) so I'm guessing that had somethign to do with it. But just curious if you have experienced the same thing.
turnerm is offline Find More Posts by turnerm
Old Mar 23, 2011, 09:58 AM
Big Red
Joined Feb 2011
34 Posts
@ turnerm
Hey thaanks for the compliment! I was/am worried that I didn't get a large enough ESC, but I'll run with it until I start noticing sever overheating. After setting it up, I kind of wish I had gone with the 480 vs the T28 motor for simplicities sake, but regardless I'm happy. In regards to the wing tip stall, I haven't experienced one since clipping the wings, which I did over 20 flights ago. What size prop are you using? I'm using the Eflite 10X8 for now...
Old Mar 23, 2011, 10:44 AM
Lawrenceville, Ga
Joined Feb 2008
2,722 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by flightphotog View Post
'I'm Not in Love' by 10 CC...good song...Great band!
Ding Ding Ding! We have a winner. Im impressed. Me bows. Yeah a great oldie fer sure. So dont forget it's just a silly phase Im goin thru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hootch View Post
Keep us in your thoughts and prayers and go fly for me!
We shall. and you hang in there yerself. Hanging around hospitals is even less enjoyable than watchin a gene-o vid.(As if that were possible)
Except the flying brick of course

Quote:
Originally Posted by cloaked View Post
Naval Warfare... But I say we make this challange come to fruition! Tell me what you think of these rules.

So.... Thoughts?
One six right/Efflux Rc "Gary" is a good friend of mine and he has tried several times in vain to doppler my speed runs for me. Our props are just too quiet. Sooo while all the other rules that you wrote of are good, doppler isnt feasible. I'd like to make it this easy. (2) 7 second straight line runs, (meaning NO DIVING) on video with a radar gun right there, so there is no doubt it was "that" plane. I dont care about up or down wind.100mph in either direction is a phenomenal feat for a Cub dontcha think?. It just stayin together at that speed is awesome.
I can tell anyone wishing to try..Do not attempt with anything but a nearly new tail section.
Thoughts???
Last edited by Naval Warfare; Mar 23, 2011 at 11:49 AM.
Old Mar 23, 2011, 11:04 AM
Lawrenceville, Ga
Joined Feb 2008
2,722 Posts
Quote:
Sadly I was preparing for a high speed pass when I had sudden loss of control; no throttle, rudder or elevator. My family and I watched in horror as Big Red plummeted towards the earth and listened to the sickening thud as it made impact. This was the first major crash I had had with the SC and I'll admit was expecting to find it in pieces. When I ordered my new cowl, I also added a PZ T-28 to the cart, so that should make things interesting in the near future...
I hate the crap out of it when unknown control loss occurs. I'm quite sure I have the STUPIDEST look on my face when they plow in. Just try and figure out why it happened and not repeat. Good to see yer back in the saddle and gettin a new plane to boot. Yer hooked for sure
Are you in the USCG?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 19000rpm View Post
Thanks, I didn't build it just for raw speed though. I clipped the wing to give it more of a balance between speed and aerobatic capability while still having, more or less, stock cub stability. It flies almost like a low wing sport plane. I've also thought about using a symetrical wing also.

No problem upping the speed though. I don't think 100 is out of the question. Maybe I'll work on a top speed version.
You can still have a 47.75" wing, have a sport plane, and keep the cubs forgiving tendencies to boot. Here's how.......
As far as aerobatics go, yer on the right track with the longer servo arms. Least I think you wrote that you have them. My dubro arms are so long I had to score a channel inside the fuse for them to move through. My ailerons also go all the way to the wingtip (just like a taylorcraft, who btw designed the cub to start with) giving me an "almost" axial roll rate. Heres a vid of something else but you can see them in action.
I like the way you think. Keep up the imaginative, outside the box, work shipmate.
PS... take it from me. 100 is gonna be reeeeeeaaaaaaalllll hard, but I'd love to see you do it. Good Luck.

Nav

Supercub in a microburst crash (3 min 24 sec)
Last edited by Naval Warfare; Mar 23, 2011 at 11:17 AM.
Old Mar 23, 2011, 11:15 AM
Big Red
Joined Feb 2011
34 Posts
Last edited by Coastie7; Jun 02, 2013 at 08:14 AM.
Old Mar 23, 2011, 11:43 AM
Lawrenceville, Ga
Joined Feb 2008
2,722 Posts
Quote:
My brother-in-law just laughed as I said "oh no" as it went down... What an . I discovered a bad connector in the battery I was using; of all things in a brand new setup, it was an old battery that had seen quite a few flights. At least I can say it wasn't pilot error.

Yes I'm a Coastie, prior active duty now a weekend warrior!

Nice video, that storm looks nasty. I couldn't see but is that wing still held on by rubber bands?
Ive lost more than a few to bad connections. Whats even more insidious are "cold joints".Like cancer, and Gene-os videos, they are a silent killer.They can last fine for several flights, then bam, yer joe jerk the bag man without a plane.
Learn from yer mistakes, and dont just fix, but "troubleshoot" those issues.

Coolio on the Coastie.Despite bein a shallow water sailor with a max 2 week deploy, I still SALUTE ya. DOT and all.

Yep, believe it or not, I did the 88mph speed run with 4 #64 rubber bands, thats all. I'd at one time bought some teeny tiny threads all rods with the idea of making it a fixed wing, but never got around to it as other projects beckoned. As you will soon discover yourself.
Yer goona like that tricycle gear Trojan. Stay safe shipmate!
Nav
Old Mar 23, 2011, 12:02 PM
Gone Huckin'
Charlotte, NC
Joined Jan 2011
9,259 Posts
Quote:
@ turnerm
Hey thaanks for the compliment! I was/am worried that I didn't get a large enough ESC, but I'll run with it until I start noticing sever overheating. After setting it up, I kind of wish I had gone with the 480 vs the T28 motor for simplicities sake, but regardless I'm happy. In regards to the wing tip stall, I haven't experienced one since clipping the wings, which I did over 20 flights ago. What size prop are you using? I'm using the Eflite 10X8 for now...
I'm currently using the stock prop for the T-28. I think it's 9.5X7.5 but I have a spare 10X7 sitting aroudn so I'll give that a try as it should add a little more speed.

I think my wing tip stalls have been due to making too sharp of turns with the wind. What I mean is that on both days, the wind was blowing in the direction of the 180 degree turn I was trying to make so I was going into the wind and trying to turn 180 degrees downwind. I think when I make that turn too quickly the wind causes the plane to enter a spiralling stall. It's difficult to pull it out once it gets started.
turnerm is offline Find More Posts by turnerm