SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Mar 21, 2011, 06:35 PM
Why so serious?
United States, FL, Cape Coral
Joined Dec 2007
5,972 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by inline300 View Post
So, someone suggested I look into making my own supercub from parts.

This isnt my first rodeo, and Ill be setting it up as an aileron/elevator controlled rig.

My question, as much as I like a slow cruiser, I want something to haul some arse....whats considered a fast supercub, yes I realize the airfoil isnt condusive to speed but what the hell right? Any proven prop/motor/esc/battery combinations out there, preferrably 3s?

I have searched but didnt find the answer, perhaps it was buried under the massive thread.

Thanks

And to answer the question, how to get a plane out of a tree..........as a last resort, Ive actually cut the tree down. lol

http://www.youtube.com/user/NavalWar...16/WB7eA7giQQE
2500GENE is offline Find More Posts by 2500GENE
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 21, 2011, 07:25 PM
Gone Huckin'
Charlotte, NC
Joined Jan 2011
9,262 Posts
Modded my battery box tonight so that I can fit 2200mAh batteries in there. Glad I got that done. I also upgraded my ESC to a 60a which is likely overkill but I felt like the 35a one was probably getting taxed with that Park 480 motor.

I had to Velcro the battery on the front side of the battery/fuse but the COG seems perfe t with it I that spot so I'm pleased.

For those who have modded your battery tray, did you just use Velcro to secure it or something else? Velcro seems sturdy enough for me - I put some on the fuse and on the bottom part of the tray and it seems to hold tightly.
turnerm is online now Find More Posts by turnerm
Old Mar 21, 2011, 07:54 PM
Why so serious?
Joined Dec 2007
5,972 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by turnerm View Post
Modded my battery box tonight so that I can fit 2200mAh batteries in there. Glad I got that done. I also upgraded my ESC to a 60a which is likely overkill but I felt like the 35a one was probably getting taxed with that Park 480 motor.

I had to Velcro the battery on the front side of the battery/fuse but the COG seems perfe t with it I that spot so I'm pleased.

For those who have modded your battery tray, did you just use Velcro to secure it or something else? Velcro seems sturdy enough for me - I put some on the fuse and on the bottom part of the tray and it seems to hold tightly.
Sometimes it holds too well. Use hot glue to secure the velcro to the fuse and only the top section. (see my build blog) It's difficult to remove if you use a piece that's full length of the battery.
I use that motor with a 40a esc. As long as you don't jam the prop into something with power on the 60a will be fine.
Old Mar 21, 2011, 08:03 PM
Why so serious?
Joined Dec 2007
5,972 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clayaway1 View Post
Gene, I ended up using hot glue for my servo install. It worked great. I can see hot glue becoming a go to glue for the SC. I just got to make the pushrods next then I need to decide whether to paint or cover the cub.
Whats everyones favorite way paint or econokote? I tried sharpies on a scrap piece the other day and it worked pretty good too. And i tried a piece of scrap with some paint for plastic chair's etc. at lowes and it worked decently as well so I'm not sure now oh and I just joined the AMA finally as well, so I can join a club thats a few towns over.. Sweet!
Just be aware paint and econocote will add more weight to the tail then the nose and you will have to check and adjust the COG to compensate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaneVT View Post

I have no idea how I'm gonna get this one down. It's up there 40 or 50 feet in the top most branches of a scrubby hardwood surrounded by other hard and softwoods so even if it gets shaken out of it's present perch somehow by me or the wind, it'll fetch up immediately in other branches. Rats!! Crapolla weather (snow/rain) and a fresh work week starting tomorrow mean this one's stayin' up there for a while. It's plainly visible to me from the dooryard across that field...just sitting up there mocking me.

RATS! This is NOT a good way to start a new flying season!

LaneVT
I did that with a ParkZone J3 Bl Cub a couple years ago and shot it out of the tree with a high power paint ball gun. It still has the holes in the wings.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cloaked View Post
My new landing gear is here!

I can practice my sweet sweet touch and goes!
Let's see em.
Old Mar 21, 2011, 08:47 PM
Bruno, GOOD DOG
United States, IA, Grinnell
Joined Aug 2007
4,028 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Max Headspeed View Post
A 200mph Super Cub is silliness, if not pure fantasy bordering on full -blown narcissism....

Well, there ya go. That seems like a good enough reasons to try it.
Ron
A Rdnek is offline Find More Posts by A Rdnek
Old Mar 21, 2011, 08:58 PM
Newbury, VT
Joined Aug 2010
262 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2500GENE View Post
I did that with a ParkZone J3 Bl Cub a couple years ago and shot it out of the tree with a high power paint ball gun. It still has the holes in the wings.
Nice Gene...very subtle. Got yer plane back and repainted it at the same time. Someone else suggested a spud gun. Chainsaw's been mentioned. Helpful suggestions are alive and kickin' on RCG.

Worst thing is it's HIGHLY visible from my dooryard and it galls the bejeezus out of me to see it up there. I'll get it down somehow...might be in fifty pieces with a dead LiPo and garbage for electronics but I can't stand the sight of it up there. I'm stubborn (stupid?) that way.

LaneVT
LaneVT is offline Find More Posts by LaneVT
Old Mar 21, 2011, 09:17 PM
Why so serious?
Joined Dec 2007
5,972 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaneVT View Post
Nice Gene...very subtle. Got yer plane back and repainted it at the same time. Someone else suggested a spud gun. Chainsaw's been mentioned. Helpful suggestions are alive and kickin' on RCG.

Worst thing is it's HIGHLY visible from my dooryard and it galls the bejeezus out of me to see it up there. I'll get it down somehow...might be in fifty pieces with a dead LiPo and garbage for electronics but I can't stand the sight of it up there. I'm stubborn (stupid?) that way.

LaneVT
Also, I used 4 peices of 3/4 pvc conduit. They slip together and I used duct tape to help keep the joints from coming apart, worked it up the tree using the branches for support along the way, adding a section at a time. Finally got close enough to it to knock it out.
That was the J3 again. That plane loves trees.
Old Mar 21, 2011, 09:42 PM
Newbury, VT
Joined Aug 2010
262 Posts
Quote:
Also, I used 4 peices of 3/4 pvc conduit. They slip together and I used duct tape to help keep the joints from coming apart, worked it up the tree using the branches for support along the way, adding a section at a time. Finally got close enough to it to knock it out.
Thanks Gene...that one just might work. Will LYK.

LaneVT
LaneVT is offline Find More Posts by LaneVT
Old Mar 21, 2011, 09:53 PM
Bass Cannon kick it! "WUB WUB"
Australia, NSW, Sutherland
Joined Dec 2010
2,645 Posts
Quote:
Just be aware paint and econocote will add more weight to the tail then the nose and you will have to check and adjust the COG to compensate.

Let's see em.
The Landing Gear or the Touch and Go's?

Its jsut the stock landing gear with H9 2 1/2 inch rubber wheels.

The Touch and Go's.... need work and a cameraman/woman.

Ill try bribe the missus with dinner.
cloaked is offline Find More Posts by cloaked
Old Mar 21, 2011, 10:09 PM
Outstanding in a gravity field
New Haven, CT., USA
Joined Feb 2006
2,102 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by A Rdnek View Post
Well, there ya go. That seems like a good enough reasons to try it.
Ron
Shhhhhhush! Not so loud. They might hear you.
We're never to publicly admit that.

Emergency STO JATO ROG with a Super Cub
Max Headspeed is online now Find More Posts by Max Headspeed
Old Mar 21, 2011, 10:16 PM
Screw the wind, let's fly!
Lawrenceville, Ga
Joined Feb 2008
2,722 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by a rdnek View Post
well, there ya go. That seems like a good enough reasons to try it.:d
ron
roflmao
Naval Warfare is offline Find More Posts by Naval Warfare
Old Mar 21, 2011, 10:25 PM
Screw the wind, let's fly!
Lawrenceville, Ga
Joined Feb 2008
2,722 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by inline300 View Post
, I want something to haul some arse....
I realize the airfoil isnt condusive to speed but what the hell right?

A few mods to the underside of the airfoil and she gets REAL conducive to speed, real quick.
And to answer the question, how to get a plane out of a tree..........as a last resort, Ive actually cut the tree down. lol
I Like how you think. No tree huggers in your family eh?
Naval Warfare is offline Find More Posts by Naval Warfare
Old Mar 21, 2011, 11:04 PM
Bass Cannon kick it! "WUB WUB"
Australia, NSW, Sutherland
Joined Dec 2010
2,645 Posts
Could go crazy and try a 100mph Low Wing SC.

I still have my ultra small flat wing.... and a Spare fuse.
cloaked is offline Find More Posts by cloaked
Old Mar 22, 2011, 09:30 AM
Gone Huckin'
Charlotte, NC
Joined Jan 2011
9,262 Posts
Well crap. I broke my SC in half this morning!

I finished my battery tray mod last night and I was trying it out with the new larger battery this morning. Everything was going great as usual - beautiful flights, beautiful landings, great touch and go's and then BAM!

I know what I did wrong though - I was doing a touch and go and I tried a 180 degree turn (very sharp one) right after liftoff and I didn't have the proper speed so she entered a wing stall (I guess that's what you call it ) where the wing that was pointed down just stayed down there no matter what I did and she started spiraling uncontrollably towards the ground. I ALMOST pulled her out of it but I think this effort is what ultimately made the crash worse because I had to throttle back up.

Anyway - it's a pretty clean break right behind the battery tray. I also cracked the cowl a good bit but that's about it. No damage to my modded wing thankfully. So I'll pick up a new cowl today and epoxy her back together tonight and she should be good as new.

I do think though that the extra weight of the bigger battery sitting up front like that contributed to the breakage. But whatever - it's still nice having a bigger battery in there so I can fly longer.

Unfortunately I didn't get to test how much flight time I'll get with the bigger battery. I had my timer set for 10 minutes and I had flown about 6:30 of that time when the crash occured - she wasn't showing any signs of slowing down so I'm guessing I easily had another 3-5 minutes left on the battery. I"ll look at the remaining voltage when I recharge the battey tonight.

Another lesson learned for a rookie!
turnerm is online now Find More Posts by turnerm
Old Mar 22, 2011, 10:17 AM
Balsa taste like chicken!
USA, MS, Columbus
Joined Jun 2006
490 Posts
Quote:
P.R.D> Plane Retrival Device! Thats about what I've been using. breaks down for transport and storage. I just used couplings to join them then just slide apart! Works for getting cats out of trees too!!!! Charger
A74Charger is offline Find More Posts by A74Charger