2,644 Posts
Its alive!
cloaked is offline Find More Posts by cloaked
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 24, 2011, 09:22 PM
Joined Jan 2011
44 Posts
Repairable wing??

I was out last weekend after the wind died down and unfortunately so was the sun.. It was getting kinda dark and I did the famous.. one more flight. Everything went well and I was making the last turn to bring the SC in for a landing and BAM.. tree jumped right out in my flight path.. I was sure it was 40-50 feet further back. Depth perception defintely not as good in the dark!!

Well it was way up in a tree but when I loaded up the truck with all kinds of implements of destruction to try to get it out of the tree it was already on the ground.. albeit with a broken wing. Well I already bought a new wing but was wondering if this one is worth repairing. Since it broke right on the supports do people think this could be repaired or should I just trash it?
pdwire is offline Find More Posts by pdwire
Old Feb 24, 2011, 09:27 PM
Philippians 4:13
Seward, NE
Joined Nov 2006
5,739 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaksno View Post
Yeppers, right hyar in Norwood, SW CO for 21 years. Some of my Art, mostly stuff I did as 'demos' can be seen on my FB page - anyone interested, friend me and we can continue to warp the world in that corner, too!

jo
My wife and I have talked about moving to CO for years. On our way back from Lake Dillon one year, we even looked at some houses... I just don't think that a teaching salary would pay the bills for a family of 6 with a wife that stays home though. The cost of living up there seems to be a little bit higher than around here. I will say though that the pics taken from my Supercub are much nicer from around there though!
ty_horn is offline Find More Posts by ty_horn
Last edited by ty_horn; Feb 24, 2011 at 09:46 PM.
Old Feb 24, 2011, 09:29 PM
Seward, NE
Joined Nov 2006
5,739 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdwire View Post
I was out last weekend after the wind died down and unfortunately so was the sun.. It was getting kinda dark and I did the famous.. one more flight. Everything went well and I was making the last turn to bring the SC in for a landing and BAM.. tree jumped right out in my flight path.. I was sure it was 40-50 feet further back. Depth perception defintely not as good in the dark!!

Well it was way up in a tree but when I loaded up the truck with all kinds of implements of destruction to try to get it out of the tree it was already on the ground.. albeit with a broken wing. Well I already bought a new wing but was wondering if this one is worth repairing. Since it broke right on the supports do people think this could be repaired or should I just trash it?
Honestly, my neighbor broke his wing 7 different times before he replaced it. Stick some hot glue in there and tape it with clear packing tape. It will fly as good as new. Make sure the wing gets pressed back together very very quickly though before the glue starts to harden back up. Some people don't even use glue actually. It is amazing what a little tape will do with these birds!
Old Feb 24, 2011, 09:37 PM
Bass Cannon kick it! "WUB WUB"
Australia, NSW, Sutherland
Joined Dec 2010
2,644 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdwire View Post

Repairable.

Hot Glue, Packaging tape and if your paranoid add a small CF rod or too.

But honestly Hot Glue and the tape and you wont even know.
Old Feb 24, 2011, 09:41 PM
Gone Huckin'
Charlotte, NC
Joined Jan 2011
9,262 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ty_horn View Post
Honestly, my neighbor broke his wing 7 different times before he replaced it. Stick some hot glue in there and tape it with clear packing tape. It will fly as good as new. Make sure the wing gets pressed back together very very quickly though before the glue starts to harden back up. Some people don't even use glue actually. It is amazing what a little tape will do with these birds!
Just curious. Lots of people on these forums seem to use hot glue. My LHS recommended that I use epoxy so that's just what I've always used. Is there a benefit to one versus the other? Epoxy has never failed me that's for sure...
turnerm is offline Find More Posts by turnerm
Old Feb 24, 2011, 09:44 PM
Seward, NE
Joined Nov 2006
5,739 Posts
nope. Epoxy is probably better but hot glue is sooooooo fast :-) That is probably the only benefit. I use epoxy if I have time to do so. When I attached the velcro to the fuselage of my SC I put some epoxy on the back of the velcro then I dipped the tips of cut-off needles in the epoxy and pushed them through the velcro and into the foam just to be sure that everything held even in freezing cold temps. Hot glue lets go at a certain temp. Not sure what it is for sure but I have seen it happen to me a couple times. Not a big deal unless you are relying on it to holding something major together :-) I think it has to be in the teens for the hot glue to let go though. Most people don't like flying when it is that cold but, for me, that is the only choice sometimes!
Old Feb 24, 2011, 11:31 PM
Bass Cannon kick it! "WUB WUB"
Australia, NSW, Sutherland
Joined Dec 2010
2,644 Posts
Ok post flight report.

HELLS HORSES! She is fast!

With the PZ 960KV Corsair/T28 Motor I could hand launch at 1/3 throttle and she pulled away great.

Lost a wheel

Yeah Lost a wheel on take off, the plactic nut is long gone in the grass managed to cactch her and take the LG out. She is now a belly Lander.... for now.

Right Wing Dipping..

Yeah I dunno if this is cause I somehow changed the thrust lines with the Motor or if Its because my Ailerons are unbalanced.

My plan is to install my brand new Wing/untouched wing and test again tomorrow morning.

If its still happening then i will try a new motor mount.

And if that doesnt work Ill go back to stock and get a new Reciever.

Or I could probably just buy a new one and be done with it.
Last edited by cloaked; Feb 25, 2011 at 04:51 AM.
Old Feb 25, 2011, 03:00 AM
United States, MI, Monroe
Joined Jun 2009
2,039 Posts
Gorilla glue will work excellent for repairs as well. Bonds very strong. I have use it to repair snapped fuse and also to add a 2x2 in section I riped out of a wing from hitting a powerline. Solid as it gets, just have to secure bith halves while drying since the stuff expands. I usually let both halves sit a few minutes and give it a chance to expand then stick them together, good and tacky by then, then after a few more minutes start to pack down any material that is expanding out beyond the flat surfaces. Ends up solid as a rock and repair is foam.
Tony K is offline Find More Posts by Tony K
Old Feb 25, 2011, 07:35 AM
Real Time Recon
smith mt. lake VA.
Joined Jan 2007
8,263 Posts
Quote:
My wife and I have talked about moving to CO for years. On our way back from Lake Dillon one year, we even looked at some houses... I just don't think that a teaching salary would pay the bills for a family of 6 with a wife that stays home though. The cost of living up there seems to be a little bit higher than around here. I will say though that the pics taken from my Supercub are much nicer from around there though!
Nice shots Ty
realtimerecon is offline Find More Posts by realtimerecon
Old Feb 25, 2011, 08:04 AM
In the 20' glider range
Boise, Idaho
Joined Jul 2009
4,503 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by turnerm View Post
Just curious. Lots of people on these forums seem to use hot glue. My LHS recommended that I use epoxy so that's just what I've always used. Is there a benefit to one versus the other? Epoxy has never failed me that's for sure...
Epoxy will give you more time to work.
I would use that not hot glue for one reason

The next time you leave the wing in a hot car or the sun, that hot glue is going to get soft. you can imagine what could happen
anti-gravity is offline Find More Posts by anti-gravity
Old Feb 25, 2011, 08:16 AM
Gone Huckin'
Charlotte, NC
Joined Jan 2011
9,262 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by anti-gravity View Post
Epoxy will give you more time to work.
I would use that not hot glue for one reason

The next time you leave the wing in a hot car or the sun, that hot glue is going to get soft. you can imagine what could happen
Thanks. Epoxy certainly has worked well for me (and trust me - I've probably stretched its abilities a bit) so I'll just stick with that (no pun intended).
turnerm is offline Find More Posts by turnerm
Old Feb 25, 2011, 09:22 AM
Enough Power? -NEVER ENOUGH!
North-Eastern Saskatchewan, Canada -Eh?!
Joined Apr 2008
1,386 Posts
when it's cold out hot glue gets weak. and epoxy is a pain to work with and is heavy

oh and right here it is -45*C with the wind chill
monboy10 is offline Find More Posts by monboy10
Last edited by monboy10; Feb 25, 2011 at 09:32 AM.
Old Feb 25, 2011, 09:22 AM
Norwood, CO
Joined Jul 2009
624 Posts
Quote:
Good high pics with the SC! 6 is 2 x the 3 (sometimes 4) I had. I learned to be a finish carpenter, tile setter, and small contractor (yeah, I actually shrunk) when I wasn't teaching. Stay at home wife can be super asset for your family if she's happy about it and realizes the beauty of it.

Fun Flyin', and see ya in CO some day!

jo
jaksno is offline Find More Posts by jaksno
Old Feb 25, 2011, 10:27 AM
Mile High Pilot
USA, CO, Longmont
Joined Jun 2010
1,175 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony K View Post
Gorilla glue will work excellent for repairs as well. Bonds very strong. I have use it to repair snapped fuse and also to add a 2x2 in section I riped out of a wing from hitting a powerline. Solid as it gets, just have to secure bith halves while drying since the stuff expands. I usually let both halves sit a few minutes and give it a chance to expand then stick them together, good and tacky by then, then after a few more minutes start to pack down any material that is expanding out beyond the flat surfaces. Ends up solid as a rock and repair is foam.
I have also had very good luck with GG. Ive used it to repair completely severed fuselages on both my T-28, and Super Cub, and repaired a broken wing on my Stinson.

For structural repairs, I use epoxy dipped toothpicks for reinforcement through the break line. I use the white GG to join the pieces, and use painters tape (the cheap blue stuff) across the break line to hold it while the glue cures, and tape along the break line to hold the GG into the break while it expands.

Its light, sandable, paintable and Ive never had a joint fail on me yet. Paint will take on a little different shade (darker) on the GG than the foam, but that just the price of a crash.

GG will also fill in voids nicely. For surface voids that remain after the repair was completed (My Stinson wing had a couple of those, and the repair wasnt as smooth as I wanted), I have used light weight spackle to fill. It takes paint wonderfully. It wont provide any structural rigidity, but does help cosmetically a bit.

Hardly can hurt to have a spare wing around right?

jc
milehighjc is offline Find More Posts by milehighjc