HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 24, 2011, 10:52 AM
Joined Jan 2007
5 Posts
Aileron Parts List

I have read through most of this thread and the aileron links in the OP. Sorry if I missed this information in one of the threads. I found the link on Hobbyzone that has a complete list of their parts they suggest to add ailerons. The price this comes out to I might as well just save the 80-90$ and put it to my next plane.

I see a lot of people referring to alternative parts from HobbyKing. I assume these would be a lot cheaper. Does anyone have a complete list (with part numbers?) of what they ordered from HobbyKing to complete this mod?

Thanks!
thrax is offline Find More Posts by thrax
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 24, 2011, 10:55 AM
Right Rudder
USA, FL, Orlando
Joined Nov 2010
9,446 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by turnerm View Post
I did this once and it was the stupidest mistake I ever made. When I plugged my motor into my ESC I noticed it was spinning the wrong way (I had the prop on too). So... being the braniac I am, I decided I would just reverse the throttle on my TX. DOH!!

As soon as I did that, the thing shot off the back of my workbench (aka the island in the kitchen) and proceeded to break the prop and require me to make an underwear change.

I then read in the ESC that I should simply switch two of the wires to the ESC and the problem would be solved. I also learned that reversing the throttle on the transmitter only means that down is full throttle and up is no throttle (which seems perfectly logical now).

I'm guessing this isn't his issue though because he said that the motor won't respond at all to any throttle movement.
Not knowing what brand / type of ESC I would say it may not apply, however, whenever I program and mess around with Throttle and other motor parameters such as timing, the ESC's that I use allow a safety feature such that by placing the Throttle at 1/2 throttle before you connect the battery to ESC harness, it will NOT Arm the motor until it see's a NULL (Off Throttle position).

Should you hear the complete tone of the ESC and your throttle is at FULL Throttle then, you will quickly realize that the Throttle Channel needs to be reversed and do so very carefully by disconnecting the battery from the ESC harness and DO NOT move the throttle.

PS
PittSpecial is offline Find More Posts by PittSpecial
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 24, 2011, 11:10 AM
Gone Huckin'
Charlotte, NC
Joined Jan 2011
9,262 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PittSpecial View Post
Not knowing what brand / type of ESC I would say it may not apply, however, whenever I program and mess around with Throttle and other motor parameters such as timing, the ESC's that I use allow a safety feature such that by placing the Throttle at 1/2 throttle before you connect the battery to ESC harness, it will NOT Arm the motor until it see's a NULL (Off Throttle position).

Should you hear the complete tone of the ESC and your throttle is at FULL Throttle then, you will quickly realize that the Throttle Channel needs to be reversed and do so very carefully by disconnecting the battery from the ESC harness and DO NOT move the throttle.

PS
Yes - words of wisdom a little too late! I, like an idiot, just reversed the throttle while the battery was still plugged into the ESC and the ESC was already armed.
turnerm is offline Find More Posts by turnerm
Old Feb 24, 2011, 11:31 AM
Weni, wedi, Java...
Casper, Wyoming
Joined Nov 2009
1,100 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrax View Post
I have read through most of this thread and the aileron links in the OP. Sorry if I missed this information in one of the threads. I found the link on Hobbyzone that has a complete list of their parts they suggest to add ailerons. The price this comes out to I might as well just save the 80-90$ and put it to my next plane.

I see a lot of people referring to alternative parts from HobbyKing. I assume these would be a lot cheaper. Does anyone have a complete list (with part numbers?) of what they ordered from HobbyKing to complete this mod?

Thanks!
9 gram servos. 3 bucks
http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbycity/s...?idproduct=662
Rx
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbycity/s...dProduct=12586
Powerful 11 dollar motor
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...idproduct=6246
There are many choices for the ESC, but you'll need a 20 amp or better.
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbycity/s...dProduct=13430
Brent Slensker is offline Find More Posts by Brent Slensker
Old Feb 24, 2011, 11:38 AM
Joined Jan 2007
5 Posts
Should have said I have the Super Cup LP BNF

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent Slensker View Post
Old Feb 24, 2011, 11:49 AM
Weni, wedi, Java...
Casper, Wyoming
Joined Nov 2009
1,100 Posts
You'll still need the servos to put in the wings, those are what I used, they work great, others will say they are too cheap.
Are you upgrading the motor? That motor is what I used it goes straight up forever. Some will say it's too cheap.
I'd use everything I posted, Rx ... everything.
Use this thread for the cutting:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...34#post9845512
Brent Slensker is offline Find More Posts by Brent Slensker
Old Feb 24, 2011, 12:02 PM
Joined Jan 2007
5 Posts
What about the control rods, control horn, and y-harness?

Thanks
Old Feb 24, 2011, 12:22 PM
Outstanding in the field of...
New Haven, CT., USA
Joined Feb 2006
2,065 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrax View Post
What about the control rods, control horn, and y-harness?

Thanks
You might find something helpful here...

http://www.youtube.com/results?searc...snum=0&spell=1
Max Headspeed is online now Find More Posts by Max Headspeed
Old Feb 24, 2011, 01:42 PM
What goes up must come down..
Canada, QC, Saint-Laurent
Joined Jan 2002
1,724 Posts
Weather update: winter snow storm alert for Friday
I didn't got the key car cam yet
I crash about 3 times in a row on the Sim that I didn't used for 3 days
So ask me: "how's things?" right now.
rodair is offline Find More Posts by rodair
Old Feb 24, 2011, 01:47 PM
Gone Huckin'
Charlotte, NC
Joined Jan 2011
9,262 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rodair View Post
Weather update: winter snow storm alert for Friday
I didn't got the key car cam yet
I crash about 3 times in a row on the Sim that I didn't used for 3 days
So ask me: "how's things?" right now.
Not to rub it in but it's in the 60's here and hardly any wind to speak of. Plus I got to fly this morning and I tried my new keychain cam in a different spot.

The only part of this that you will like is that my new spot didn't work out.

I'm going to try it next on top of the wing on the very trailing edge looking backwards about 4-5 inches out from the fuse.
Old Feb 24, 2011, 01:57 PM
What goes up must come down..
Canada, QC, Saint-Laurent
Joined Jan 2002
1,724 Posts
yea yea..LOL
rodair is offline Find More Posts by rodair
Old Feb 24, 2011, 02:04 PM
Right Rudder
USA, FL, Orlando
Joined Nov 2010
9,446 Posts
Quote:
Yes - words of wisdom a little too late! I, like an idiot, just reversed the throttle while the battery was still plugged into the ESC and the ESC was already armed.
I understand, however, my post with the tip can still be used in the future. For my large Glow-To-Electric Conversions I do exactly this so, when I hook all flight batteries and flip the RX harness switch the large Electric Motor with the large Propeller will not engage in my face when I lift the model off the setup table at my RC Club.

Once the model is on the ground and after I perform a careful pre-Flight checks of all control surfaces, I then and only then place the Throttle to NULL (Off) and you hear the ESC finish with it's tone indicating that the Motor is armed.

Everyone makes mistakes and learn from them and I feel for those that do make mistakes and get away without being injured then, we can try and be safer in the future. I have a RC Club Member that sliced his arm with a small Park Zone T-28, I do not recall the specific reason but, the model's motor started prematurely and it cut into his arm and we had to call Fire Rescue due to the bleeding, it was pretty bad.

PS
PittSpecial is offline Find More Posts by PittSpecial
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 24, 2011, 03:25 PM
Bass Cannon kick it! "WUB WUB"
Australia, NSW, Sutherland
Joined Dec 2010
2,644 Posts
Ok just for a bit of clarity its this one!

http://www.hobbyzonesports.com/Produ...ProdID=HBZ7357'

The ESC/Reciever are built in so there is no throttle cable to move/switch places with.

Reversing the throttle on the TX does nothing as the motor does not respond at all.

However I just realised I do have a spare ESC and Brushless motor. Maybe a forced upgrade....

BRB!

OK BACK!

I was right the built in throttle control seems to be burnt out in full throttle mode. However the serperate throttle channel is fine! Just tested it with a 480 motor from a corsair and the ESC and its all good. Now all I need to do is rig up something to connect it all together!
cloaked is offline Find More Posts by cloaked
Last edited by cloaked; Feb 24, 2011 at 03:36 PM.
Old Feb 24, 2011, 05:48 PM
In the 20' glider range
Boise, Idaho
Joined Jul 2009
4,503 Posts
Quote:
I did this once and it was the stupidest mistake I ever made. When I plugged my motor into my ESC I noticed it was spinning the wrong way (I had the prop on too). So... being the braniac I am, I decided I would just reverse the throttle on my TX. DOH!!

As soon as I did that, the thing shot off the back of my workbench (aka the island in the kitchen) and proceeded to break the prop and require me to make an underwear change.

I then read in the ESC that I should simply switch two of the wires to the ESC and the problem would be solved. I also learned that reversing the throttle on the transmitter only means that down is full throttle and up is no throttle (which seems perfectly logical now).

I'm guessing this isn't his issue though because he said that the motor won't respond at all to any throttle movement.
DOH! done that before
anti-gravity is offline Find More Posts by anti-gravity
Old Feb 24, 2011, 06:05 PM
Gone Huckin'
Charlotte, NC
Joined Jan 2011
9,262 Posts
First Video Attempt with Super Cub

The flight isn't the smoothest but this didn't turn out horribly. Sometimes the video quality gets a little "wavy" but what can you expect with such a cheap camera huh? I mounted it on the trailing edge of the wing looking backwards.
Super Cub LP keychain cam over Fort Mill, SC (4 min 5 sec)