HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Closed Thread
Old Jun 02, 2004, 12:54 AM
Tujunga, CA
Joined Nov 2003
43 Posts
wow strega, that looks awesome!! i have a slinger still in the box, not yet built because waiting for hs81's and my reciever. i was going to use regular servos and 3 cell 2100 TP pack and stock 400, but i didn't know if the extra weight of the servos would mess things up. anyhow, i scored the slinger from tower hobbies for 44.99 (sale price from a month ago, but for some reason it stayed in my shopping cart for a month!) plus i had a $5 off coupon, so for $40 i couldn't pass it up. the version i got though comes with the plywood at the wingtips so you can bolt up the winglets, and also comes with an extra wood center piece that goes between the two wing halves which you can grab onto for hand launching.
the only prob is, the plastic center piece doesn't seem to fit flush with the wings, and it takes quite a bit of pressure to get it to sit right. is this normal, anyone else with the same problem?
gvr4201 is offline Find More Posts by gvr4201
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 03, 2004, 11:37 PM
Aircraft Part Separator
United States, IA, Tabor
Joined Aug 2003
1,425 Posts
Slinger Improvements

I've been flying Slingers for over a year (2 of them now) and had some of the same problems - here's how I fixed them. Winglets, first off the winglets that come in the kit don't seem to stay on no matter what you do however they make real nice patterns to cut new ones from coroplast corogated sign material. As far as ataching them I cut 3/32 ply to match the wing tip shape (gives the proper spacing for the elevons) and epoxy them in place then I drill those out about 3" apart with a 1/4 inch bit approx 1/2 deep. epoxy in some 1/4 dowels flush with the new tip ribs thenI drill & tap for #8-32 and screw my new coroplast (read as indestuctable) winglets on they are much stronger and don't weigh enough to affect the balance notably but I fly mine with a 1/4" aft center of gravity (VERY RESPONSIVE!). The other mod I make is to build ply servo mounts and epoxy them into the wing I did this after a high speed dive flutter disassembled one of mine in mid air. Finally I swiched over to the Zagi carbon fiber props for duability and a little better accelleration. I DO LOVE how these planes fly PS I fly mine 1100mah packs that are made for it and GET 12 to 14mins. and they'll fast charge in15!
Greg D is offline Find More Posts by Greg D
Last edited by Greg D; Jun 03, 2004 at 11:45 PM.
Old Jun 04, 2004, 12:07 AM
the journey is the reward
Canada
Joined Apr 2002
1,535 Posts
Great winglet fix Greg.

I fly on a Zagi reverse timed and 8 cell and 9 cell 1050 mah metals. Best on 9 cell. I was pretty lazy with the winglets, I sunk wood screws in through the stock winglets, with epoxy, 3 small screws on each. Has held like a charm but your way gets the elevon /winglet space happening. I am constantly messing with them so they do not rub (like leaving the plane with foam spacers in when not in use).

Thanks for posting your mod.

Next Slinger (on my third in two years) , that is how I will do it.

HH
Hammer Head is offline Find More Posts by Hammer Head
Old Jun 04, 2004, 12:08 AM
Canada
Joined Apr 2002
1,535 Posts
Oh yeah

"Zagi carbon fiber props"

That is the way to go, and a prop adaptor!

HH
Old Jun 04, 2004, 12:42 AM
Aircraft Part Separator
United States, IA, Tabor
Joined Aug 2003
1,425 Posts
More Slingers

It's nice to see some other people out flying these things my LHS seems to sell them but I'm the only one around here I've seen flying them if you try the rear center of gravity it can have a tendency to snap out of quick hard loops but it allows you to take a little of the reflex out of the elevons whitch will improve the speed by reducing drag. I've also found that if you want a stock CG it seems to come out at about 2 oz I just make a little slice at the wing roots about 3/4" back from the LE and tuck the weights in before assembly I've also pitched the kit hardware and replaced it with good 2-56 rods & Sullivan Golden cleveses (the kind with the locks) and they're steel horns. I launch mine the same way one of the other guys mentioned - hold at the back POWER OFF, throw it then hit the thottle.(remember to arm your ESC or it'll be a real short flite - I refuse to comment on how I know). And I also use Blue bird BMS 371 servos (Hitec 55 size but they have 31oz torque!) PS Does the Zagi revese timed motor you mentioned have more power, better efficency, or? Thanks Greg I thought about a ply center section like gvr 4201 mentioned came with his kit only was thinking extending it and the tips I use on mine down and incorporating some of those Quickey500 thin plastic wheels and having a Slinger I can fly of paved runways! Anybody else game.
Last edited by Greg D; Jun 04, 2004 at 01:21 AM.
Old Jun 04, 2004, 01:56 AM
Canada
Joined Apr 2002
1,535 Posts
lol

"remember to arm your ESC or it'll be a real short flite - I refuse to comment on how I know"Greg

I call that a test glide

"Blue bird BMS 371 servos"

Where did you aquire those, who makes them?

"Zagi revese timed motor you mentioned have more power, better efficency" G

More Power, but suck amps a bit more it seems...really shines on 9 cell, about the same as stock on the 8 cell Kan packs I use.

I launch power off also, overhead, then power on.

ROG slinger all right!

HH
Last edited by Hammer Head; Jun 04, 2004 at 01:59 AM.
Old Jun 04, 2004, 04:38 PM
Aircraft Part Separator
United States, IA, Tabor
Joined Aug 2003
1,425 Posts
Servos

I buy my Blue Bird servos from either Balsa Products @ balsapr.com or from AV8 hobbies Balsa Prod takes credit cards (great people to deal with and some items are "make offer" plus they offer quantity discounts. Good Flying Hammerhead!
Old Jun 04, 2004, 05:17 PM
Canada
Joined Apr 2002
1,535 Posts
Right on Greg. Good flying to you too!

HH
Old Jun 07, 2004, 11:20 PM
Aircraft Part Separator
United States, IA, Tabor
Joined Aug 2003
1,425 Posts
Here We Go Again

My last Slinger was shot down a while back, I finally couldn't take it any more. Went and got a new one today. First I'll make all of my usual mods. I've already put a neon red, orange, yellow, green, & blue stripes on the bottom of the rt wing ("oh it's going that way" or "that's the side that's up"also solves "which one is mine"). Saved my servo mt's from the last one so those are a poxy in & go. Can't wait to get er flyin but will still take my time with the build.
Old Jun 08, 2004, 12:05 AM
Canada
Joined Apr 2002
1,535 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg D
My last Slinger was shot down a while back, I finally couldn't take it any more. Went and got a new one today. First I'll make all of my usual mods. I've already put a neon red, orange, yellow, green, & blue stripes on the bottom of the rt wing ("oh it's going that way" or "that's the side that's up"also solves "which one is mine"). Saved my servo mt's from the last one so those are a poxy in & go. Can't wait to get er flyin but will still take my time with the build.
Right on. Great colors . The white bottom of the Slinger wing can really wash-out up there.

HH
Old Jun 08, 2004, 12:18 AM
Aircraft Part Separator
United States, IA, Tabor
Joined Aug 2003
1,425 Posts
More Blue Bird Info

Was looking on Balsa Products Site a while ago and saw that they also have Blue Bird ESCs 15a for about 18$. I picked my wing bottom colors by the wiits method (Whatever Is In The Shop)
Old Jun 08, 2004, 12:34 AM
Tujunga, CA
Joined Nov 2003
43 Posts
i finally got to fly my slinger. pretty much stock except for a 3 cell TP 2100 pack which gives me about 20-25 min. of total flight time (although the motor gets pretty hot after only 5 minute flight bouts. there was one mod i made, i put another vent just on top and front of the motor, and i used a lighter to slightly melt the plastic a little to make it "scoop" air towards the motor. you guys are right, its very solid and steady, and the factory changes like the ply center piece make it super easy to launch. very happy with my $40 plane. BTW, towerhobbies have it for 49.99 right now free shipping till 6/20
gvr4201 is offline Find More Posts by gvr4201
Old Jun 08, 2004, 12:41 AM
Aircraft Part Separator
United States, IA, Tabor
Joined Aug 2003
1,425 Posts
gvr 4201

Thought about going Tower for my next one (beats the 59$ retail) but I had 50$ store credit at the LHS! Couldn't let the slip stay around too long it mighta accidentally gotten washed. PS are you using the new LiPo compatable ESCs from FMA?
Old Jun 08, 2004, 12:57 AM
Joined Feb 2004
733 Posts
Slinger launch

Tried the launch holding the aft end. It works but not the best.

A simpler method that allows launching with the motor running.

At the CG drill a 1" hole on the underside.

When your ready to launch put your index finger in the hole and spread your fingers out to balance the Slinger. Start your motor and launch. It works every time.

Everyone loves the Slinger that flies it. It thermals very well. I have flown mine in 30 mph winds with no problem.
flyingwings is offline Find More Posts by flyingwings
Old Jun 08, 2004, 01:11 AM
Aircraft Part Separator
United States, IA, Tabor
Joined Aug 2003
1,425 Posts
The Slinger Story Part ????

That finger hole idea's pretty good but I think I'm going to cut a light ply plate to use as a skid/handhold, a little easier on the covering our feild has some bare patches with sandy dirt that have been a little rough on my previous ones. I'll also cut my new winglets slightly long (about 1/4") on the bottom to keep the wing surface off the ground. Glad you liked your slinger too. The kit I got today is obviously early production and has none of the ply pieces. Oh well thats why I have a band saw!
Closed Thread