SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Closed Thread
Old Jul 16, 2003, 05:10 PM
Tampa Bay area
Joined Jun 2003
224 Posts
OH yeah, as for the equipment falling out... if you use some heavy-duty velcro for the batt. and secure everything else properly then you could probably fly it without the canopy if you like. the canopy will hold just fine if you use velcro as per instructions . the key is to use enough velcro to hold down big-ass battery during hi- G manuvers.
BIFFSTER is offline Find More Posts by BIFFSTER
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 16, 2003, 05:16 PM
Atlanta
Joined Jun 2002
776 Posts
is velcro included? if not then where can I get one?

Is it available through tower? I am going to order the slinger through them
someone special is offline Find More Posts by someone special
Old Jul 16, 2003, 05:22 PM
McMinnville, TN
Joined May 2002
254 Posts
I'm not sure where to get the velcro, I usually just get it from Wal-Mart or some other place like that. I've never had a problem with the canopy not fitting. The velcro on that works pretty good.
Air 1 is offline Find More Posts by Air 1
Old Jul 16, 2003, 05:53 PM
Atlanta
Joined Jun 2002
776 Posts
The thing is I am not sure what a velcro is. Is it like hook and loop fastener?

Any pics showing it on the slinger?
Old Jul 16, 2003, 07:37 PM
Tampa Bay area
Joined Jun 2003
224 Posts
YES hook and loop =VELCRO the kit comes with about a foot of it way more than enough for canopy . will need more for batt. you might be able to get some at home depot? Also... the motor has a removable metal ring around it. take it off, you'll get a few more rps...and you could order kit from tower... flew mine just a few minutes ago.... very nice, no problems other than not having enough batteries (did not crash even once!!!) that is a new thing for me next time I break my winglets off I will do the velcro thing to them........

Chris G.
Old Jul 16, 2003, 07:53 PM
Timelord
USA, IN, Muncie
Joined Mar 2002
2,412 Posts
You can get VELCRO at any Wal-mart. It is in the department with the craft stuff and fabric. They normally have it in white or black and have an industrial strength version as well.

Biffster-
Looks like you are local. Where do you fly?

Jay
Doctor Who is online now Find More Posts by Doctor Who
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 16, 2003, 08:02 PM
Atlanta
Joined Jun 2002
776 Posts
thanks!

I am going to order the slinger. I was always looking into a zagi type plane without working for days to get it RTF.

I always had this feeling that I would find one soon.

I fly at 3 different fields near my house.

What glue did you guys use for attaching the velcro to the canopy?
Last edited by someone special; Jul 16, 2003 at 08:05 PM.
Old Jul 16, 2003, 08:15 PM
Tampa Bay area
Joined Jun 2003
224 Posts
you should not have to glue the velcro down. I do suggest to glue the wing tubes and wings together.and to velcro the winglets and have fun.....
Old Jul 23, 2003, 01:25 AM
SF Bay Area
Joined Jan 2003
31 Posts
Updated photo

Here's an updated photo. I used a sharpie pen to draw the panel lines.

I still haven't figured how to route the antenna. On my Zagi, I made it go out the bottom, then cut a slit in the foam cores, and pushed it in, so the antenna doesn't show. I most likely will do the same for the Slinger.

I also need get some clear plastic for the winglets.

Last problem is securing the plastic fuse. The instructions say to use the scotch tape provided, but I think it will ruin the look. I'm considering either using transparent scotch tape or gluing it in. The problem with gluing it is that I'm not sure how big the gap is between the fuse and the core.

Strega
Stregaracer007 is offline Find More Posts by Stregaracer007
Old Jul 23, 2003, 01:28 AM
Atlanta
Joined Jun 2002
776 Posts
All I can say is it is sweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeet!!!

It now looks more of a stealth. You can cut a small hole in the canopy and keep the receiver antenna or wire on the fuselage.
Old Aug 04, 2003, 11:06 AM
SF Bay Area
Joined Jan 2003
31 Posts
Flight Report

Test flew the Slinger and its awesome. Much faster than the Zagi 400x, both speed and roll rate. Roll rate was blinding on full rates. It was too hot on the first flight. If I pulled too hard on the elevator, it would snap out of it after a 1/4 loop. Had to tone down the throws and add more expo.

I tried installing a stock zagi pack (8x1700) and it wouldn't fit. The airscoop hit the top of the battery, so I used a 10 cell, Hecell pack. Much more power, but not as much flight time. Flight lasted about 7 minutes on full power throughout.

Other observations:

1) The grey and black is hard to see, as expected. Its even harder when the sun is in front of you.

2) The clear plastic winglets are invisible in the air, so that also makes it hard to gain orientation.

3) The shape of the fuse is wider than a Zagi, so its harder to get a grip. I grip the trailing edge underneath the prop and throw it like a baseball with power off.

Strega
Old Aug 18, 2003, 06:58 PM
Florida
Joined Sep 2002
18 Posts
Stregaracer007

You sure did a wonderful job on your Slnger. I'd give you a prize if I had one, but oh well congrats will just have to do.

I have a question for all of you that have already owned a Zagi -
I have heard the Zagi will almost thermal if you go high and cut way back on the power (I assume this would be with a say 600 ma pack) small = light = thermal or soar - I ordered my Slinger today after weeks of resurchasing data on Zagi's and what I could find out about the Slinger - the comments on this thread realy helped - thanks all. I ordered an 1100 ma nicad along with my Slinger for a start.

I sure hope one of you guys comes back and reads this post

Thanks Again, AirDog
AirDog is online now Find More Posts by AirDog
Old Aug 18, 2003, 10:49 PM
SF Bay Area
Joined Jan 2003
31 Posts
Thanks

Airdog,

Thanks for the post and the compliments.

I haven't tried thermaling my Zagi. I suppose if you used a smaller pack it will work. I don't have any lightweight packs, so mine's a lead sled without power.

I think the Slinger is a better choice over the Zagi because the cost is about the same and you don't have to cover it with tape. The tape is just a pain. The downside of the Slinger is that it will look just like everyone elses. That's one of the reasons for painting mine.

Good luck,

Strega
Old Apr 23, 2004, 01:00 PM
Joined Mar 2004
186 Posts
slinger wing tips

You guys can make your Slinger wing tips stay on with no problems.
First put very thin plywood on each wing end. Then match the lower edge of the wing tip with out putting the tip below the edge of the wing itself.
Then put 3 small screws through the tips into the new plywood on the wing ends.
Your wing tips will stay on, mine did. That Slinger is a great ship, much better than my buddy's Zoggy!
silverwing is offline Find More Posts by silverwing
Old May 24, 2004, 02:30 PM
Virtual Cockpits
www.wrightrc.com
Joined Dec 2001
73 Posts
Clipped wing by 6"??

I have the Slinger with a hacker brushless motor and she scoots very well. Anyone have a idea how she will fly if I cut off 3 inches from each wing tip? I need a shorter wing to fit it in my trunk.

I would think that it would be faster, but still lots of wing area.
Kregg is offline Find More Posts by Kregg
Closed Thread