Randy Due is offline Find More Posts by Randy Due
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 05, 2004, 02:05 PM
Am I registered?
Chandler, Tx. USA
Joined May 2003
2,495 Posts
Motor's Here!

PFM was on the ball as usual! My motor and esc came in the mail today. Every time I've ordered from Bill it's arrived here in only a couple of days. Great service, if you ask me. I hope I can get the thing installed and programmed this afternoon. Only have a little more work to do and then I can take off early.(or play hooky, how ever you want to look at it) I only have the stock size prop here, so that will be where I start. I was going to order a couple different sizes, but we may run to Dallas this weekend anyway, so I thought I may just go to the hobby shop. Plus, I kind of wanted to see what the stock props would do because, if they work okay, I won't need to chop the elevons any for clearance. 5.5 x 4.5 may have enough clearance, but 6" props will definitely need some hacking. I'll post the results after flying.

Randy
Old Aug 05, 2004, 05:17 PM
Aircraft Part Separator
United States, IA, Tabor
Joined Aug 2003
1,425 Posts
GL Randy
Greg D is offline Find More Posts by Greg D
Old Aug 05, 2004, 06:33 PM
Am I registered?
Chandler, Tx. USA
Joined May 2003
2,495 Posts
Thanks. Got it all together, but winds are gusting stronger than I like for trying something new. Hope they die down towards dusk. Slinger purrs like a kitten......er uh I mean tiger now! Can't wait to get it in the air.

Randy
Old Aug 05, 2004, 06:40 PM
Just fly the darn wing!!!
Germany, NRW, Herford
Joined Oct 2003
2,210 Posts
If the gusts are under 25mph, the motor should easily cut through that. It ain't no brushed anymore!! Let's hear it.
ScYcS is offline Find More Posts by ScYcS
Old Aug 05, 2004, 07:53 PM
Am I registered?
Chandler, Tx. USA
Joined May 2003
2,495 Posts
Uhm....would anybody like to buy a bunch of brushed gear? Just kidding. But, wow! What a difference. Even with the stock prop it has much, much more speed and thrust. Not unlimited vertical, but quite a bit more than the long can sp 400. Large loops from level flight. Climbs out of your hand like a wild bird. If it does that on the stock prop, I can just imagine what it may do with the 5.5x4.5. Just got a question about the brushless though, being that it's my 1st. It says not to get it over about 200 degr. F. I don't have one of those fancy thermometers, so by touch how hot is too hot? I ran it WOT about half of the 8.5 minute flight and the motor was not nearly as hot as any of the sp 400s ever were. I could squeeze the motor tight for 4 or 5 seconds before I felt the need to let go. I doubt this was too hot at all, but I would like to hear it from someone with BL experience. That is my main goal for this.....long life. Thanks.

Randy
Old Aug 05, 2004, 08:12 PM
Germany, NRW, Herford
Joined Oct 2003
2,210 Posts
How hot is too hot? Let say at 200* F you would burn your finger instantly when touching it. If you were able to press it for 4-5 seconds, you prolly had it around 100-120, if that much. By the way, get a 6x4 prop as well. Makes even more difference. A little cutting doesn't hurt the wing

Dennis

PS: Congrats on your BL maiden flight!!!!
Old Aug 05, 2004, 08:45 PM
Am I registered?
Chandler, Tx. USA
Joined May 2003
2,495 Posts
Thanks. That's really what I thought, but after laying out the cash, I just wanted to be sure. Just came back from second flight of 11 minutes. I didn't fly as conservative this time and the motor was no hotter than before. I could squeeze it before brain says "hey that's hot". I haven't checked amp draw yet, but it's not drawing much if I could fly 11 min and I have the esc to shut down at 9v. I can't figure why the instructions on the Phoenix say to set it at 7.2v for 3 cell lipos. That would be 2.4v per cell. I thought 3v min and if you really push it maybe 2.7...oh well. One thing I noticed on both flights that is different than with brushed, other than the obvious power advantages. With the brushed motors, I could always tell about a minute before the pack was spent by a slight drop in oomph. With the BL it seems to run strong right up to the end. Maybe it's just the 9v cutoff as compared to my brushed shutting down a little lower. Anyway, this thing screams now. I'll probably pick up a couple of props this weekend. I checked my box and the only thing I have in DD props is a few Gunthers like what came on the Slinger and a 6x3 Master Airscrew. If I put a 6" on, it looks like it will cut in close to the control horns, because the elevons will have to be hacked a little. I suppose I could move them over a bit. But, then on the other hand it packs a good punch like it is.

Randy
Old Aug 06, 2004, 06:34 AM
Aircraft Part Separator
United States, IA, Tabor
Joined Aug 2003
1,425 Posts
Cool (or maybe not too hot for once)

Sorry could'nt resist the temp pun, glad to hear it worked well for you. Now if I could just afford about 6 LIPO packs for mine I'd try one too (it's that 1 hr lipo charge thing). Anyway Keep Slinging It!
Greg D is offline Find More Posts by Greg D
Old Aug 06, 2004, 03:52 PM
Am I registered?
Chandler, Tx. USA
Joined May 2003
2,495 Posts
Now if I could just afford about 6 LIPO packs

Yep, I know what you mean! I have 4 lipo packs, only 3 are 3 cell and only 2 of them are the Apogee 1660s that fit so nicely, without any hacking. The other 3 cell is an Apogee 2080. It puts the wing loading higher than I like, but it will fly with it. Just have to stick it in the compartment at an angle. Funny thing is that the 2080s are cheaper than the 1660's....go figure. And you're right, I wish I had about 4 more.

Just came in from a short flight. Winds are 10mph with 18mph gusts....lots of gusts. Slinger cut through with no problem, just a little hairy coming in between the trees to land. I hate digging planes out of the trees.

Randy
Old Aug 06, 2004, 03:54 PM
Germany, NRW, Herford
Joined Oct 2003
2,210 Posts
I guess you like the Brushless then?
Old Aug 06, 2004, 04:26 PM
Am I registered?
Chandler, Tx. USA
Joined May 2003
2,495 Posts
I guess you like the Brushless then?

Oh.......I think you would be safe to say that! Now, if it lasts as long as they say it will, I'll be REALLY happy.

Randy
Old Aug 06, 2004, 06:03 PM
Am I registered?
Chandler, Tx. USA
Joined May 2003
2,495 Posts
Just came back in from running it pretty hard. We got a cold front come in and the wind is from the North so it's only about 90 degr. here today. Motor was only warm after flights and while it's not unlimited vertical, it will hold it long enough to put it out of sight....at least my sight. So, I'm asking myself what I'll gain from propping up? I would probably get unlimited vertical from more thrust, but would also be pushing my motor and battery harder. I really need to check the amp draw, but my multimeter only goes to 10, accurately anyway. I may still try the 5.5x4.5 soon, just to see. Anyway the 2815-2000 seems to work great on this plane with 1660 lipos.

Randy
Old Aug 06, 2004, 06:07 PM
Germany, NRW, Herford
Joined Oct 2003
2,210 Posts
Basically, with the 5.5x4.5 you'll gain more thrust and more climb performance which directly helps launching it. If you have no wind or winds that make launching difficult, the higher thrust might help tremendously. It just is a more comfortable flying with a little more thrust, especially at the beginning of the flight.
Old Aug 06, 2004, 06:21 PM
Am I registered?
Chandler, Tx. USA
Joined May 2003
2,495 Posts
Yeah, I can see that. I'll get one and try it. I feel like I'm well within my battery and motors safe range anyway. I doubt it would draw too much more with only a slight jump up like that. Thanks.

Randy
Closed Thread