Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Closed Thread
Old Jul 15, 2003, 02:01 AM
SF Bay Area
Joined Jan 2003
31 Posts
Slinger B-2

Here's a picture of my GP Slinger.

I didn't particularly like the "Captain America" flagship look, so I stripped it off and painted it to look like a B-2 Stealth Bomber.

By the looks of the underside, I don't think the trim is Monocote. It came off really easily. I slid a razor blade underneath to lift up the corner and pulled the rest off.

For Paint I used Testors Model Master Enamel from a can. To prep the iron covering, I used a heat gun to tighten the covering, roughed it up with 000 steel wool and used alcohol to clean off the dust. The color is Gun Ship Grey on top and flat black on the bottom.

I still need to install servos, linkage and put panel lines on top.

Strega
Stregaracer007 is offline Find More Posts by Stregaracer007
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 15, 2003, 07:33 AM
Tampa Bay area
Joined Jun 2003
224 Posts
Great Idea... I just bought and built my slinger yesterday...kept mine as simple and stock as it gets.... i heard it will give zagi a run. sure hope that is true have you seen one fly??? has anyone compared them next to a zagi???
BIFFSTER is offline Find More Posts by BIFFSTER
Old Jul 15, 2003, 07:34 AM
Mississauga, Ontario
Joined Mar 2003
696 Posts
Nice work! I also thought the paint job was a bit outworldly for a semi-scale Spirit. Nice paint job.
The Max-Q is offline Find More Posts by The Max-Q
Old Jul 15, 2003, 10:13 PM
McMinnville, TN
Joined May 2002
254 Posts
Yeah, I've compared it to a Zagi. It all around flies like a Zagi, but faster rolls rates and I think its better all around. I really like the build time on it compared to a Zagi. Give us a flight report when you get yours going.
Air 1 is offline Find More Posts by Air 1
Old Jul 16, 2003, 09:33 AM
Houng-wen Lin
Shijr, Taiwan. DungGwan, China. City of Industry, California.
Joined Sep 2001
19,445 Posts
Compared with GWS B-2 which is comming soon.
http://www.gws.com.tw/english/product/airfly/b-2.htm

Original planning for EDF50 X2. Since USA need Over Power very much, just under engineering change to be fit for twin EDF55s.
GWS4CEO is offline Find More Posts by GWS4CEO
Old Jul 16, 2003, 10:01 AM
Forgot how to fly
Atlanta, Georgia
Joined Oct 2002
10,177 Posts
**off Topic**
Mr lin,
I am normally an advocate of yours, but this is the second time in two days I have seen you spam another thread to compare (advertise) your product against someone elses. First one was with Stevensaero beta Mini pattern plane (here)and this one. Please keep to comparing or showing your items to the vendors forum and responding appropriately in these forums.

**back on topic**

Strega,
Interested in a flight report.

Mike
Mike Parsons is offline Find More Posts by Mike Parsons
Old Jul 16, 2003, 10:27 AM
USA, IL, Barrington
Joined Feb 2001
1,947 Posts
With all the spars in the wing there is no Zagi flap on a power dive pull out, I had one and like the Slinger much better, especially the build time!
BTW NICE Paint job!!

Pete
peterv is online now Find More Posts by peterv
Old Jul 16, 2003, 12:02 PM
Joined Jul 2003
6 Posts
Strega.. I was thinking of painting my black.. but I decided not to because if I taped up the plastic canopy.. then removing it will ruin the paint job. Did you do anything to get around that?

Also.. did the paint job added weight that affected the flight performance?
AirTek is offline Find More Posts by AirTek
Old Jul 16, 2003, 01:32 PM
SF Bay Area
Joined Jan 2003
31 Posts
Slinger B-2

Thanks for looking at my pic and the comments.

I can't comment on the flight performance because I haven't finished it yet. I'm not planning any performance mods, so it should perform just like a regular Slinger; although, it will be harder to see given the color choice.

Airtek, I taped the canopy from the inside using the supplied velcro. Its the same as my Zagi 400X. I don't know how these guys are losing their canopies because mine has never come off. The weight of the paint is neglible. If you paint it all black, it will be even harder to see. I put a black widow mark on the bottom using red trim tape for added orientation.
Stregaracer007 is offline Find More Posts by Stregaracer007
Old Jul 16, 2003, 01:46 PM
Manhattan, Kansas, United States
Joined Oct 2001
3,503 Posts
Yup, that is what Mr. Lin is all about...spamming
He has zero manners...

-Mike
KSU Flyer is offline Find More Posts by KSU Flyer
Old Jul 16, 2003, 01:52 PM
McMinnville, TN
Joined May 2002
254 Posts
I'm also not sure why people are losing their canopies, but mine only fell off once. It was my fault because I was doing a full power dive with 8 cell 1800 mAH AA cell batteries which weighs about 2 pounds, LOL. The battery somehow unplugged the deans connector from the speed control, and I found the battery about 1 foot in the mud. My Slinger tumbled into a pond. I let my electronics dry out in the plane for a day, and it was back to normal. Tuff little outfit!
Air 1 is offline Find More Posts by Air 1
Old Jul 16, 2003, 04:21 PM
Atlanta
Joined Jun 2002
776 Posts
I am kinda confused, I am interested buying a slinger but I've heard it has several problems.
For example:

The winglets dont fit properly
The canopy doesn't fit properly that makes all the equipment to come out.

But for the value I am ready to fix these problems, any help?

Will the CA foam friendly glue work well on the winglets?
someone special is offline Find More Posts by someone special
Last edited by someone special; Jul 16, 2003 at 04:28 PM.
Old Jul 16, 2003, 04:33 PM
USA, IL, Barrington
Joined Feb 2001
1,947 Posts
I had no luck with glue holding the winglets on. They extend below the wing and hit the ground on landings. The way they mount makes for very stable low speed flight though. I used fiberglass strapping tape, not pretty but does the job. Have had no problem with the canopy coming off, even in a few nose ins. Equipment mounts real easy and the canopy does not extend past the nose so is not damaged in a crash. I really like it and have had a 400x before. The plane can fly much slower, rolls are quick and inverted is excellent, a very stable wing.

Pete
peterv is online now Find More Posts by peterv
Old Jul 16, 2003, 04:38 PM
Ancaster, Ontario, Canada
Joined Nov 2000
2,525 Posts
You can also use velcro to hold winglets on. If they come off, pop 'em back on.

Paul
Paul Penney is offline Find More Posts by Paul Penney
Old Jul 16, 2003, 05:02 PM
Tampa Bay area
Joined Jun 2003
224 Posts
First off,Paul, I gotta say the velcro idea sounds great!!!(lancaster???) I have put small 2" picture nails thru winglet and epoxied them aswell as the winglet, hope it holds ... I flew my sliger on her maiden last night.. perfect. right outa the box. flew it stock with a zagi 1900mah batt. my first success in r/c. my last attempt was with a mini speed wing., it was too unstable for me.. the slinger is rock solid, I put 4 batteries thru it and it uses all no prob. the other batts I used were a gws 6-cell 600mah, gws 8 cell 720mah and homemade 1...the 6 cell did'nt have the same juice as the othes but still flew just fine. big loops rolls zoom zoom here zoom zoom there......I really like this thing. only problem is winglets...both came off on a "normal" landing...

Chris.
BIFFSTER is offline Find More Posts by BIFFSTER
Closed Thread