Old Nov 14, 2010, 02:25 PM
olivier
Dinan ,Brittany ,France
Joined Jun 2007
1,599 Posts
Discussion
Y tricopter or T shape tricopter?

Hello Guys

I really cannot make up my mind...which frame will I build???I am waiting for my (late) HK delivery, the ESCs are at least in stock, so I expect the shipment to be delivered in the coming weeks...I whish to build the most stable frame ever...no 3D or flips for me...I have read several times that the T shape was more stable than the Y one, and that it is more "eye-catcher" than the Y shape..., I think also that it offers a wider "point of view" in front of the cam, with no risk of getting a prop in the side a picture...my only concern is that I can't get any drawing, with arm sizes of a T shape frame...I don't whish to try different sizes by myself...moreover, I wander where might stand the balance point on the Tshape frame, it is logical on a Y shape, but the T shape has got a much larger rear arm (why?)...

Your comments and your help would be warmly welcome

my aim is to get a completing mean of AP: the Twin Boom pusher for large landscape pictures, and the Tricopter for detail shots in places where I can't use my plane safely, due to a lack of space for landing in the vincinity.
I feel 2011 AP harvest will be good

cheers

olivier
olivdudu is offline Find More Posts by olivdudu
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 14, 2010, 02:41 PM
Worn-out the seat of my pants
Dorset UK
Joined Dec 2006
922 Posts
Olivier, in the T shaped copter the motors are equally spaced just like the Y shaped copter. The balance point is centrally between the motors.
Ad
Lomcevac is offline Find More Posts by Lomcevac
Old Nov 14, 2010, 02:56 PM
No thrust...It'll bust...
Troy, NH
Joined Sep 2006
4,375 Posts
olivier,

Here is a pic of my T dimensions. CG falls slightly behind the Y CG point. (It's somewhat forgiving. So, no worries on the maiden.)

-Tim
troynh is offline Find More Posts by troynh
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My Ghetto Tank
Old Nov 14, 2010, 06:20 PM
Begin with end in mind...
Eagle Lake, Minnesota
Joined Apr 2003
5,613 Posts
The T shape gets my vote I have never built a regular tri just the T I love the way they fly. Either one you will have fun with

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1334811

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1320070

Mike
power is offline Find More Posts by power
Old Nov 15, 2010, 09:59 AM
It flew...nearly!
Norway
Joined Apr 2006
1,941 Posts
Either way, I reckon you will need to go fpv for almost anything but the really close shots. I find them both difficult to see more than 40 or so metres away. A plane is much easier to fly at a distance, tri's need to be flown all the time and have a small visual footprint. In addition the have little momentum, at least a plane travelling forward will want to keep doing so, tri's can veer any which way Had my brain been able to fly fpv, though, a different kettle of fish! Anyways, they are great fun!
matthew
Duck! is offline Find More Posts by Duck!
Old Nov 15, 2010, 06:21 PM
Joined Mar 2007
559 Posts
Hi Olivier- Go with the "T". Much easier to see in flight, and no harder to set up. If you have no heli experience there is a little bit of a learning curve, but it is worth every second to be able to hover for photos. Also I use a Flymentor on my tri, it really is nice having self-leveling when shooting photos with a downlink. Feel free to ask questions for help with setup, I'm sure everyone looks forward to seeing more beautiful shots from your corner of the world.

Rob D
nocontrol1 is online now Find More Posts by nocontrol1
Old Nov 17, 2010, 02:31 AM
olivier
Dinan ,Brittany ,France
Joined Jun 2007
1,599 Posts
Thank you Mates, for your replies

I am heading toward a T shape copter build, though the frame must be a little heavier than the Y one, due to the amount of material. The other advantage I noticed, is that the cam can be located in the very middle of the T "bar", granting a large free space in front of the lens, I mean: when working with a 28mm lens, the risk to get some "propelers" in the picture might be important when the cam is located in the middle of the "Y".
Matthew, my aim is to fly the tricopter in a very short beam, and sometimes FPV (i got trained to FPV plane flying last summer). I want it complementary from my plane. I whish I could picture new topics, such as trawlers alongside in a harbour, but pictured from above the water at may be 10 to 15 m high, the same with little churches which are often fenced by trees, to shoot menhirs and dolmen, which often stand in little fields, traditional farmyards...and so and so

Cheers!

olivier
Old Nov 21, 2010, 10:51 AM
Canada, AB, Lethbridge
Joined Jun 2002
1,807 Posts
I too want to build a T copter and am currently learning on my Razor CX...okay so it's not a real heli but is giving me help.

Cheers

CG
Canada Goose is offline Find More Posts by Canada Goose
Old Nov 21, 2010, 01:50 PM
Cumbria in the U.K
Joined Jan 2008
1,934 Posts
I am thinking like you Olivier.
I am building the tricopter. I see this as being used for places where it will be flying fairly close to me. I think it is ideal for getting shots where there is no landing area for a normal model plane. I was tempted by the T shape but will stick with the tri for a first attempt.

I do not see it replacing my usual camera planes. They will still be used for high and distant shots where there is room to launch and land.
sparklet is online now Find More Posts by sparklet
Old Nov 21, 2010, 06:18 PM
HeliAP'er!
Surrey, UK
Joined Aug 2003
8,230 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sparklet View Post
I am thinking like you Olivier.
I am building the tricopter. I see this as being used for places where it will be flying fairly close to me. I think it is ideal for getting shots where there is no landing area for a normal model plane. I was tempted by the T shape but will stick with the tri for a first attempt.

I do not see it replacing my usual camera planes. They will still be used for high and distant shots where there is room to launch and land.
As far as I can see, the only difference between T and tri is the shape of the frame. Although I haven't flown one before, it's got to be an awful lot easier judging orientation with a T-shaped frame than one that looks identical from all yaw positions!

As an example, how this bloke knew which end was pointing forward after these insane manoeuvres is beyond me!

Tricopter running MultiWii code, aggressive settings (3 min 57 sec)

My 2p

David
Hogster is offline Find More Posts by Hogster
Old Nov 22, 2010, 04:04 PM
olivier
Dinan ,Brittany ,France
Joined Jun 2007
1,599 Posts
Whaoh, I look forward to seeing all those flying insects at the next UKmeet

I am still awaiting for my hk shipment...I have got my esc's on backorder for months...they are now in stock, reserved...and you know what??? it is a 6 USD pocket of superglue which is now on backorder...and I might wait for weeks more but that makes me time to build my indoor planes (have a look at my rc group blog)

The more I think of it, the more I feel I will buid a T shape...for sure, T shape is a much better eye-catcher. David's post confirms my thought.

Here is a French link which might interest you: this man managed to get rid of the vibrations problems using different kind of foams. Even if you don't get a word of French, the pictures speak for themselves.

Sparklet, I think we shall see pictures of "very low aerial photography" from both side of the channel on next springtime, hum? I am sure those two gears, plane and t copter will offer us the full AP panel.

Cheers

oliv'
Old Jun 14, 2011, 06:36 AM
Australia, NSW, Taree
Joined Jun 2011
12 Posts
any body no much about tricopter just built once but cant get it to g
chris cahill is offline Find More Posts by chris cahill