SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Nov 14, 2010, 01:48 PM
Joined Mar 2009
1,149 Posts
Idea
OSD Decoder : 'read' the OSD data onscreen to have a telemetry system

Well, just an idea : an application which 'reads' the OSD text in the video ? I mean like an OCR, which would then be able to do anything with that data, for example display the position in google earth, display the speed and altitude on a virtual cockpit, or save everything for a post flight analysis; draw the polar curve of the plane, compare different propellers or motors, know the mAh per vertical meter, etc

In this way there it can be adapted to any osd without having to know a specific OSD supplier's protocol.

If software is good, more people will buy OSD (from any manufacturer), so this could be good for everyone.

Edit: this would be a part of the virtual cockpit project, see
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1312788
Virtual Cockpit for FPV - Proof of concept (1 min 30 sec)

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1305232
PropAway beta for FPV : keeps the propeller away from the view (1 min 41 sec)

OSD Decoder : extract the data from any OSD in real time - Proof of concept (5 min 48 sec)

OSD Decoder 'reads' the OSD data, shows it in Google Earth, pilots Antenna Tracker and does Flight Analysis / Beta 1 (7 min 36 sec)

OSD Cockpit for FPV : 3D cockpit + HUD + 3D radar + antenna tracker + google earth (6 min 0 sec)
flipflap is online now Find More Posts by flipflap
Last edited by flipflap; Dec 22, 2011 at 04:13 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 14, 2010, 01:58 PM
UK, South Yorkshire, Sheffield
Joined May 2009
968 Posts
Interesting idea that I had been thinking about some time ago too. Guess it's a bit of the EZOSD does via one of the audio lines. If the concept you are talking about was to work I can definitly see the benefits, although there are numerous challenges to meet.

Sounds like a nice design brief for a project
Bandarra is offline Find More Posts by Bandarra
Old Nov 14, 2010, 05:55 PM
Joined Mar 2009
1,149 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bandarra View Post
Interesting idea that I had been thinking about some time ago too. Guess it's a bit of the EZOSD does via one of the audio lines. If the concept you are talking about was to work I can definitly see the benefits, although there are numerous challenges to meet.

Sounds like a nice design brief for a project
Mmm, let me think about it 5 minutes...
Old Nov 14, 2010, 07:03 PM
Joined Mar 2009
1,149 Posts
Done !

OSD Decoder : extract the data from any OSD in real time - Proof of concept (5 min 48 sec)

OK I admit I was working on it since 4 days...
Old Nov 14, 2010, 07:06 PM
Falling with style
Canada, QC
Joined Apr 2010
1,336 Posts
flipflap what IDE are you using to program this? Also, is this project going to be open source? I would like to start experiencing with this language with your source. Let me know
metalfred is offline Find More Posts by metalfred
Old Nov 14, 2010, 07:38 PM
Suspended Account
Brunswick, OH
Joined Nov 2005
5,547 Posts
This is going to be very font specific. Each manufacturer's output will have to be tweaked and I suspect each camera/VTx/Vrx combo will need tweaking too because these characters are not going to appear on everyone's screen the same. I'm impressed with what you've got so far but it's going to be a nightmare to try and get to work on everything.
HappyKillmore is offline Find More Posts by HappyKillmore
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Nov 15, 2010, 12:40 AM
Joined Mar 2009
1,149 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by metalfred View Post
flipflap what IDE are you using to program this? Also, is this project going to be open source? I would like to start experiencing with this language with your source. Let me know
Probably won't be open source, but as the video shows the principle anyone can do something similar, it's not too difficult.

I'm using C# with Visual Studio 2008, and the OpenCV library for some image analysis tasks (actually emguCV, a C# port of OpenCV)

If you want to learn it, they provide several good examples with source code, such as finding a face in an image, movement detection, 3D reconstruction from two images, pattern matching etc.

Ben
Old Nov 15, 2010, 12:55 AM
Joined Nov 2006
2,119 Posts
what about add a contrast filter to each frame before process it to identify the number using "OCR" ?

you may get even better results

propaway looks quite cool
wallaguest1 is offline Find More Posts by wallaguest1
Old Nov 15, 2010, 12:58 AM
I think my wheels fell off.
Perth
Joined Oct 2009
894 Posts
That truly is remarkable Ben.

Quote:
Originally Posted by flipflap View Post
the principle anyone can do something similar, it's not too difficult.
I beg to differ my friend, I'm quite happy to sit back and watch the other anyone's do this one.

Great concept.
Thumb_number is offline Find More Posts by Thumb_number
Old Nov 15, 2010, 01:15 AM
Joined Mar 2009
1,149 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyKillmore View Post
This is going to be very font specific. Each manufacturer's output will have to be tweaked and I suspect each camera/VTx/Vrx combo will need tweaking too because these characters are not going to appear on everyone's screen the same. I'm impressed with what you've got so far but it's going to be a nightmare to try and get to work on everything.
First, congratulations for your ground control station, I can imagine the amount of work such a project represents

For the OSD Decoder, yes it will be font specific, but I'll include the fonts of all current OSD in it, so you won't have to.

But the interest resides in the fact that it will be the first 'telemetry system' to be compatible with all suppliers.

I made it in way very insensitive to the real shape of the characters : it's not looking for a precise pixel color in a given position, but only choosing the most 'similar' candidate in the 10 digits.

In this way you can have more or less blurred characters to take this example, or with less or more contrast, luminosity etc, it still will work.

I made tests with different videos taken from vimeo (it means already compressed, so with an average quality). They are obviously taken with different equipments but it was possible to decode them all (except a very blurry one) without change to the parameters. The only conditions are to have the same video resolution (640*480) and be using the good character set (in the current system, the eagletree one).

To give another example, the characters are on an transparent background (you see the image around and in the holes of the digits), but in the current algorithm, all the pixels of the character are considered (a square 15 x 15 pixel wide). It means that normally it should only decode correctly characters which are on a black background, as the reference digits I chosen. But if we have another background, it continues to be ok, because the relative probability between the digits is conserved :

if for a given value to decode, we had with a black background
0 : 86% probability it is a 0
1 : 25% probability it is a 1
2 : 30 %
3 : 42%
etc

on a gray background we'll have for example :
0 : 66% probability it is a 0
1 : 5%
2 : 10 %
3 : 22%

But you see the most probable digit is still the same. The same applies for other video transformations that can appear such as camera / TXRX / video grabber card noise, blur, contrast etc.

This is true because we only care about a reduced set of symbols (the 10 digits), so it's relatively easy to find the right one.

I mention in the video that the eagletree character set is not the easiest one, and so it's a good test. It's because some characters such as the 6 and the 8, only differ by a few pixels, while in other character sets there are bigger differences and - most importantly - larger characters.
Old Nov 15, 2010, 01:24 AM
Joined Mar 2009
1,149 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wallaguest1 View Post
what about add a contrast filter to each frame before process it to identify the number using "OCR" ?

you may get even better results

propaway looks quite cool
You're right, now is really the worst case, without any prefiltering, and not using the color information to remove the background (the image is converted into gray levels and then analyzed). So there's room for improvement !

Ben
Old Nov 15, 2010, 04:04 AM
UK, South Yorkshire, Sheffield
Joined May 2009
968 Posts
Well done Ben. What do you plan on doing with this software once/if you get it perfected?
Bandarra is offline Find More Posts by Bandarra
Old Nov 15, 2010, 04:48 AM
Luxembourg
Joined May 2009
806 Posts
Finally someone works on this! I have tried often to decode those infos with OCR software to recover my datas from recorded videos but never achieved it.

Hope you will succeed. 2 Thumbs up!
iacei is online now Find More Posts by iacei
Last edited by iacei; Nov 15, 2010 at 06:55 AM.
Old Nov 15, 2010, 06:05 AM
Joined Mar 2009
1,149 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bandarra View Post
Well done Ben. What do you plan on doing with this software once/if you get it perfected?
Well, the global project is the creation of a virtual cockpit, I mean a cockpit in 3D, around you, coherent with the head/goggles movements.
The project includes the creation of telemetry hardware and a mean of sending telemetry data over the video channel (on several video lines at the bottom of the screen). The thread for this project is here : http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1312788

In the meanwhile, I thought I could distribute the protocol I'm using to encode the telemetry data in the video, so that OSD vendors can easily (just a software upgrade) encode their data for use in the virtual cockpit (to display on the instrument panel, virtual gps etc). Or for other softwares to come.

Then I realized that there are few chances that OSD vendors will adapt their stuff, or share their own telemetry protocol. So I decided to see if we can grab the data from the video... and we are here.

The basic equation is that a classic embedded hardware such as an OSD controller or autopilot uses a microcontroller of maybe 30 MIPS or a little more.
And a modern computer has 147600 MIPS + the huge computing power of the graphic card. (OK it was for the Intel core i7 extreme edition) It's almost 5000 times more computing power - what can we do with all this ? Why continue tu use simple black and white video overlays when we can use 3D graphics in millions of colours ? Then it's a question of having ideas, but IMO we have a lot of very good OSD and telemetry systems, but not many impressive things on the software side.

OK it's maybe less easy to have a computer on the field, it can be less reliable than a simple osd etc. But we see the arrival of powerful intermediary devices such as the iPad or other tablet pc and laptops. Probably in the few next years we'll have a computer as powerful as our desktops, completely embedded in the googles...
Last edited by flipflap; Nov 15, 2010 at 06:16 AM.
Old Nov 15, 2010, 06:15 AM
Joined Mar 2009
1,149 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by iacei View Post
Finally someone works on this! I have tried often to decode those infos with OSD software to recover my datas from recorded videos but never achived it.

Hope you will succeed. 2 Thumbs up!
Thanks, I suppose you mean with OCR software ?

Which OSD were you using ? As I have to adapt the system to different OSD systems, you can send me the videos (or url), I'll extract the data for you - or you can be a beta tester if you want ?

Ben