HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 03, 2013, 12:13 PM
Joined Mar 2013
8 Posts
Hi,

tried for hours now to get a connection from the board to the radio and tried all the hints given here in the forum. But I ever get this error message:

"error: programm enable: target doesn't answer"

It's rally frustrating! I thought it'll be easy and bought the board because I don't have the time and skills soldering on the radio.

I have a brand new 9x with v2 board and cleand the contacts a dozend times.
Is it normal that the screw holes on the board are about 0,5 mm bigger in diameter than the screws?

It'll be great if someone can help me.
crazy dude is online now Find More Posts by crazy dude
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 03, 2013, 01:00 PM
Registered Loser
Canada, BC, Central Okanagan H
Joined Jun 2010
3,251 Posts
Is your radio powered on (by battery) when programming?
s_mack is offline Find More Posts by s_mack
Old Oct 03, 2013, 05:30 PM
Australia, VIC, Mooroolbark
Joined Mar 2013
291 Posts
Are you running Windows 8?

frats,
Rosco
rosco01 is offline Find More Posts by rosco01
Old Oct 03, 2013, 07:19 PM
Registered Loser
Joined Jun 2010
3,251 Posts
"target doesn't answer" is not a driver issue. Its not a usb issue. Its not anything to do with the computer at all. It is a connection issue between the radio and the board. The most common issue (by far) since Rev 2.2 is people attempting the programming without having the radio powered.
Old Oct 03, 2013, 11:43 PM
Joined Mar 2013
291 Posts
Thanks, Steven - too long ago for me to remember why mine had issues with the driver and failing to hook up.... to all using Windows 8 - read the instructions from Steven for installing the driver when using Windows 8..

frats,
Rosco
Old Oct 04, 2013, 04:22 AM
Joined Mar 2013
8 Posts
Hi,

yes, radio is powered. I use win 7/64 and the driver works properly.

How can one be shure the pins have contact. You can't look under the board and check it.

Tried a lot. Cleand the contacts with alcohol. Made a thin solder layer on the pads and scratched them with a knife. Than I desoldered and scratched also and so on.
Old Oct 04, 2013, 09:59 AM
Registered Loser
Joined Jun 2010
3,251 Posts
People: PLEASE DONT SCRATCH the pads! I know that advice has been printed a few times... but these are electrons, not paint. They don't need to be "roughed up" to "stick". The pads should be smooth and clean.

Of course you can't see them. I wish they made transparent circuit boards (economically), but they don't... so there's really know way of knowing for sure that they are making contact, except for trusting in the design that has now worked for > 7000 people.

There are only so many possibilities when it comes to the "target doesn't answer" error. I'm going to list them here in order of how common they are:
  1. You don't have the 9x powered on (by FAR the most common cause for this, but of course you've confirmed this isn't the case.)
  2. You don't have a V2 board (have you actually checked? Please don't assume just because the seller called it a "v2")
  3. One or more of the 9x's pads has a varnish-like substance on it or solder-built up into a mount. (I really doubt this is your problem, given your attempts to clean it)
  4. One or more of the spring pins is not making contact (check the pins to make sure all 5 are there and they are reasonably straight. If so, then they should be making contact. Backing off the screws and wiggling the board and re-tightening could resolve a mis-alignment)
  5. The board is not fully seated (the screws have to be in all the way. DO NOT OVERTIGHTEN)
  6. Very rare: a defect in the board.

That last one got added to the list fairly recently. Up until a couple of months ago, I had never seen any defect cause this particular error. Really, the error pretty much confirms the board is working - just not making contact. However, if one of the FETs controlling flow to/from the pins is bad... well, no flow, no go. I almost hesitate writing this because I don't want others jumping to the conclusion that their board is bad. I've so far only seen this twice out of THOUSANDS, so it is very unlikely its the cause of this error. But... possible.

Post a picture of your radio, without the board installed, so I can confirm its V2. Post a picture with the board installed, so I can confirm the wiring (the odd person has misunderstood the jumper wire installation). Take a very close look at the pins and make sure they are reasonably straight (they don't have to be perfect, but no tip should be outside the circumference of its base, if that makes any sense)

- Steven
Old Oct 04, 2013, 01:54 PM
Joined Mar 2013
8 Posts
Hi Steven,

her is my 9x without the board.

It's high res, so you can check my contacts.
Took this picture yesterday already, so I have to open my 9x againt to make a pic with the board.
But the only cable which is on the board is the usb cable from the left side.
Yesterday I already tried to varie the boards position with open 9x. I tried various positions and nothing worked.
The pins are easiely moving and are straight.
When I plug USB in (radio turned on on the first attemp I did) a red led on the board lights.

Maybe the quickest way to try if the board works ist to desolder the pins and I solder wires from the 9x points to the board?
It's not the elgant way and not the way why I bought this board but maybe the easiest.
If you draw on my image which point I have to connect with which point on your board I'll give it a try.
Thanks for your advice so far!
I realy like the concept of the board! If it will work it will be even better
Old Oct 04, 2013, 04:00 PM
Registered Loser
Joined Jun 2010
3,251 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazy dude View Post
I think there is your problem then. There are 2 cables necessary for operation: 1) the USB; 2) the 6-wire jumper cable (see step 12 of the instructions). It should look like the attached photo.

In some older radios, the jumper wasn't necessary... but I see your board is v15 and it most certainly is necessary.

Old Oct 05, 2013, 04:55 AM
Joined Mar 2013
8 Posts
Hi Steven,

you was absolutely right!
That was the problem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by s_mack View Post
2) the 6-wire jumper cable (see step 12 of the instructions). It should look like the attached photo.
Don't know why, but I thought step 12 was only for those who want to have led connected with the board.
I'm very sorry for my inability!
Mostly it is faster to do something slowly and with patience.
Thank you very much for your advice!
Old Oct 05, 2013, 09:53 AM
Registered Loser
Joined Jun 2010
3,251 Posts
I have no doubt that there are probably posts floating around saying you don't need that without the light, because in previous versions of the 9x - including the ones I was developing the board with - it wasn't actually necessary. It was still technically required (you should have a shared ground between the programmer and target) but it worked. Then one day... it didn't. That's when I realized something changed with the "v15" stamped 9x boards that absolutely required the shared ground (which always should have been there anyway).

The instructions have always said to perform that step though.

- Steven
Old Oct 05, 2013, 01:50 PM
Firefox
USA, KS
Joined Oct 2005
1,040 Posts
I don't mean to barge in, but in your picture the ribbon cable, top center does not seem to be fully inserted in it's socket.

Maybe I'm wrong....

good luck..
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazy dude View Post
Hi Steven,

her is my 9x without the board.

It's high res, so you can check my contacts.
Took this picture yesterday already, so I have to open my 9x againt to make a pic with the board.
Yesterday I already tried to varie the boards position with open 9x. I tried various positions and nothing worked.
The pins are easiely moving and are straight.
When I plug USB in (radio turned on on the first attemp I did) a red led on the board lights.

Maybe the quickest way to try if the board works ist to desolder the pins and I solder wires from the 9x points to the board?
It's not the elgant way and not the way why I bought this board but maybe the easiest.
If you draw on my image which point I have to connect with which point on your board I'll give it a try.
Thanks for your advice so far!
I realy like the concept of the board! If it will work it will be even better
Firefox675 is offline Find More Posts by Firefox675
Old Oct 11, 2013, 04:05 PM
Bird of Time
North Carolina
Joined Sep 2003
360 Posts
I just added the Smartie board to my 9x with the backlight from Turnigy. Before flashing the Opentx with Companion 9xr the back light worked. Now the light just flashes when I power up the TX and then goes out. Can't find any programing for the back light control in OpenTX (latest version) Any help?
Mauihiflyer is offline Find More Posts by Mauihiflyer
Old Oct 11, 2013, 05:01 PM
Row 0, Seat A
Savannah, GA
Joined Jan 2008
2,705 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mauihiflyer View Post
I just added the Smartie board to my 9x with the backlight from Turnigy. Before flashing the Opentx with Companion 9xr the back light worked. Now the light just flashes when I power up the TX and then goes out. Can't find any programing for the back light control in OpenTX (latest version) Any help?
You must turn on the backlight with a custom switch for it to work. In the "Functions" column, select "Backlight" and of course a "Switch" for it's actuation.

Ted
G550Ted is online now Find More Posts by G550Ted
Old Oct 11, 2013, 05:06 PM
Joined Mar 2013
291 Posts
When flying heli's, I used the gear switch for B/L - I use the trainer switch for timer.

frats,
Rosco