HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 19, 2013, 11:16 PM
United States, NY, New York
Joined Feb 2013
236 Posts
To add to that I have the EZ Telemetry hooked up to my Frsky DJT.

Do i have to do any programming and firmware updates before i try and turn on my 9x? Or should it turn on fine without any firmware updates?
Charlie6017 is offline Find More Posts by Charlie6017
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 19, 2013, 11:30 PM
Chasin' that Neon Rainbow
Australia, QLD, Grantham
Joined Oct 2012
2,562 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie6017 View Post
I just received my spartieparts board and EZ Telemetry. I installed both using the instructions on the smartie parts website. Everything went in smooth and seemed like everything was fine. I turned on my 9X and I am getting a switch error. I opened it back up and checked all connections. Everything looks good. Any ideas what this could be?

Thanks,

Charlie
Usually the only reason is you have one or more of your toggle sitches in the wrong position. eg Gear or flaps
Grantham Kid is online now Find More Posts by Grantham Kid
Old Apr 19, 2013, 11:53 PM
You can't take the sky from me
United States, WA, Richland
Joined May 2009
6,244 Posts
Quote:
I just received my spartieparts board and EZ Telemetry. I installed both using the instructions on the smartie parts website. Everything went in smooth and seemed like everything was fine. I turned on my 9X and I am getting a switch error. I opened it back up and checked all connections. Everything looks good. Any ideas what this could be?

Thanks,

Charlie
If you have not updated the firmeware yet it's because one of the switches is in the forward position. Once you update the firmware to OpenTX or er9x that won't be a problem.
scott page is offline Find More Posts by scott page
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 20, 2013, 12:04 AM
Registered Loser
Canada, BC, Central Okanagan H
Joined Jun 2010
3,251 Posts
TelemetrEZ *REQUIRES* supporting firmware to be installed on your 9x or you'll get a permanent switch error and your AIL and THR switches will never work. TelemetrEZ does what it does by "hijacking" those two switches in order to use the inputs to communicate with the 9x. But the 9x has to know to listen for the new signals! Install the *LATEST* (not "stable") er9x with FrSky, or install Open9x and make sure to select the "telemetrez" option.
s_mack is offline Find More Posts by s_mack
Old Apr 20, 2013, 12:29 AM
Joined Feb 2013
236 Posts
All of my switches are in the correct position.All pushed forward on top and down in the back. Just like I had them before i did the install. It worked perfectly before so i know i have the switches right.

OK, so I should disconnect the telemtrez and just have the smarieparts board hooked up and it should let me turn it on and upgrade the firmware...then i select the telemetrez option then i can connect telemetrez and i should be all good??

Thanks
Old Apr 20, 2013, 12:34 AM
Joined May 2009
6,244 Posts
Quote:
All of my switches are in the correct position.All pushed forward on top and down in the back. Just like I had them before i did the install. It worked perfectly before so i know i have the switches right.

OK, so I should disconnect the telemtrez and just have the smarieparts board hooked up and it should let me turn it on and upgrade the firmware...then i select the telemetrez option then i can connect telemetrez and i should be all good??

Thanks
You should not need to disconnect the telemtrez to upgrade the firmware (I don't think)
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 20, 2013, 12:35 AM
Joined Feb 2013
236 Posts
But do I need to turn the radio on or just connect the usb to update firmware? The youtube video i watched by parkflyer said I had to have the transmitter powered on to upgrade
Old Apr 20, 2013, 12:37 AM
Joined May 2009
6,244 Posts
Quote:
But do I need to turn the radio on or just connect the usb to update firmware? The youtube video i watched by parkflyer said I had to have the transmitter powered on to upgrade
Correct. but the switch position will not be an issue for this procedure. The beeping might annoy you though.
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 20, 2013, 12:38 AM
Joined Feb 2013
236 Posts
I have eepe installed and I was going to use that to install the latest firmware with frsky. Can I do that without unwiring the telemetrez? Can i do that while getting the switch error?

Thanks
Old Apr 20, 2013, 12:39 AM
Joined Feb 2013
236 Posts
ok scott ill try that. Steve anything to add that can help? thanks
Old Apr 20, 2013, 12:49 AM
Joined Feb 2013
236 Posts
Thanks so much guys. I got it working..I just did it while it was beeping and it loaded the firmware and i not have er9x on my transmitter. Only thing is everytime i turn it on i get the new logo but then it says ALERT SWITCH WARNING Please reset switches. Hit any button to ignore..then Alarms disabled then i hit a button and it goes to main screen. Is that normal?
Old Apr 20, 2013, 01:25 AM
Joined May 2009
6,244 Posts
Quote:
Thanks so much guys. I got it working..I just did it while it was beeping and it loaded the firmware and i not have er9x on my transmitter. Only thing is everytime i turn it on i get the new logo but then it says ALERT SWITCH WARNING Please reset switches. Hit any button to ignore..then Alarms disabled then i hit a button and it goes to main screen. Is that normal?
Yes. If you are seeing what I think you are seeing -- you can disable the switch warning in the general settings.
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 20, 2013, 01:31 AM
Joined Feb 2013
236 Posts
Ok now I have to figure out how to use this thing. Any good manuals and tips out there?
Old Apr 20, 2013, 02:38 AM
Registered Loser
Canada, BC, Central Okanagan H
Joined Jun 2010
3,251 Posts
If you're still getting a switch error... try to note if it goes away on its own (ie. don't hit any buttons to clear) after 15 seconds. If it does, then its a known issue and it can be resolved by updating the TelemetrEZ's firmware. The good news: you're an owner of a brand new Rev 2.4 so you can udate your TelemetrEZ firmware without a 3rd party programmer and without even opening your case again! The bad news: I haven't yet documented how to do it.

I'm struggling with some computer issues. My main office computer has a faulty motherboard and doesn't work at all. A replacement will be here next week. (could have been last week, but the computer repair guy told me "100%" that the problem was the power supply! Grrr). But in general... here's a post that describes the updating procedure. But it doesn't reference the Rev 2.4 SP board at all. The Rev 2.4 came with a special ISP cable that connects to the TelemetrEZ permanently (hint: black wire corresponds to the pin marked with a dot on the TelemetrEZ board). Now... with the radio switched ON and connected via USB, you're ready to flash the 9x's chip using eepe (or whatever). That's old news. With the radio switched OFF, however, you're now ready to flash the TelemetrEZ's chip using the program in the above link.

Or just press the button to clear the switch error If its what I think it is, its only an issue for 15 seconds after turning on the radio.

- Steven
s_mack is offline Find More Posts by s_mack
Old Apr 20, 2013, 02:53 AM
Custom quad builder
United States, TX, Spring
Joined Apr 2012
2,364 Posts
This may be off topic but has anyone used a oped 9x with a Naza if so could you share your settings

Thanks
tech69x is offline Find More Posts by tech69x