HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Reply
Thread Tools
Old Jul 05, 2012, 12:49 PM
Row 0, Seat A
G550Ted's Avatar
Savannah, GA
Joined Jan 2008
2,705 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by s_mack View Post
Sorry Ted, I didn't see this message until now!

I expect a standalone LED driver to be $8 to $10.
- Steven
Steven, thanx. I'll keep a watch on how that project progresses.

Ted
G550Ted is offline Find More Posts by G550Ted
Reply With Quote
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 05, 2012, 05:04 PM
Registered User
Joined Feb 2007
34 Posts
You are too modest. Sure, the firmware is a key, but the solderless board was it for me. After cooking a PS2 installing a modchip, I don't think I would have tried the other method. Yours is so easy to set up for software and drivers and backlight any one can do it.
Flybob4 is offline Find More Posts by Flybob4
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 05, 2012, 08:47 PM
Registered Loser
Canada, BC, Central Okanagan H
Joined Jun 2010
3,251 Posts
Lol... if you asked my circle of family and friends to use 100 adjectives to describe me... "modest" would not come up once!

Thank you Bob... it means a lot.

- Steven
s_mack is online now Find More Posts by s_mack
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 05, 2012, 11:13 PM
Registered User
Australia, QLD, Townsville
Joined Jan 2012
23 Posts
My boards are on the way happy days
MrADuff is offline Find More Posts by MrADuff
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 13, 2012, 02:41 AM
Registered User
Australia, QLD, Townsville
Joined Jan 2012
23 Posts
Got my boards last night.. 6 days shipping from US to AUS fast..

I think the screws supplied are to long or the white stand offs are to short
Anyone else had that problem with the new Rev 2.2 kit ??
Should beable to find some shorter replacement screws somewhere..
MrADuff is offline Find More Posts by MrADuff
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 13, 2012, 09:04 AM
James not bond
jy0933's Avatar
United States, MN, Minneapolis
Joined May 2012
2,074 Posts
I soldered my kk programmer on it.. and works like a charm
jy0933 is offline Find More Posts by jy0933
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 13, 2012, 01:51 PM
Registered Loser
Canada, BC, Central Okanagan H
Joined Jun 2010
3,251 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrADuff View Post
Got my boards last night.. 6 days shipping from US to AUS fast..

I think the screws supplied are to long or the white stand offs are to short
Anyone else had that problem with the new Rev 2.2 kit ??
Should beable to find some shorter replacement screws somewhere..
I promise you they are fine They are the same screws and spacers I've used for the past 1000 or so units. I did previously use 7/16" screws. I switched to 1/2" when my supplier ran out of 7/16 - the extra 1/16 really shouldn't make any difference.

Of course, with any plastics manufacturing there are tollerances. If you got a radio with a slighly "shorter" hole, it may not fit as well. But really, just screw it in a little more - you'll be fine

Otherwise, search for 7/16" #2 philips pan head machine screws. Not an easy find though.

- Steven

ps. They ship from Canada, not US Canada Post gets the credit there.
s_mack is online now Find More Posts by s_mack
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 14, 2012, 04:16 PM
Yet another flying K1W1
41south's Avatar
Wellington, New Zealand
Joined Jan 2006
495 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by s_mack View Post
ps. They ship from Canada, not US Canada Post gets the credit there.
Super quick down to New Zealand too - now all I need is the time to do the mods!
41south is online now Find More Posts by 41south
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 16, 2012, 04:43 AM
Registered User
Australia, QLD, Townsville
Joined Jan 2012
23 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by s_mack View Post
I promise you they are fine They are the same screws and spacers I've used for the past 1000 or so units. I did previously use 7/16" screws. I switched to 1/2" when my supplier ran out of 7/16 - the extra 1/16 really shouldn't make any difference.

Of course, with any plastics manufacturing there are tollerances. If you got a radio with a slighly "shorter" hole, it may not fit as well. But really, just screw it in a little more - you'll be fine

Otherwise, search for 7/16" #2 philips pan head machine screws. Not an easy find though.

- Steven

ps. They ship from Canada, not US Canada Post gets the credit there.
Thanks Steven I had another look at it and all is fine..
Just had to use alittle more force to thread the screws in.
All looking good so far.. Just waiting for lipo and backlight from HobbyKing...
OMG they are taking forever just to ship my order... unlike your speedy delivery
MrADuff is offline Find More Posts by MrADuff
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 16, 2012, 01:06 PM
Registered User
Eagle202's Avatar
United States, FL, Clearwater
Joined Aug 2011
1,585 Posts
I just purchased a Flysky 9x FS-TH9X / TH9B with the V2 upgrade.

I would like to get the add on solderless programming board and backlight but I am not sure to go with the LED or EL version.

Any suggestions?
Eagle202 is online now Find More Posts by Eagle202
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 16, 2012, 01:19 PM
Registered Loser
Canada, BC, Central Okanagan H
Joined Jun 2010
3,251 Posts
The EL version no longer exists (well, that's not quite true... if you really want one, I have a kit here I was keeping for my collection of things I made).

Prior to Rev 2.2, it was only EL. Then I ran into a supply problem with the EL and also was getting a LOT of requests to support LED... so starting with Rev 2.2 I switched it to LED.

While some people (including myself) very much preferred the EL, I'd say most people really just wanted a bright screen and they preferred the LED. Plus, EL was very sensitive to ESD damage so there was a lot of problems with that. Finally, not everyone wanted a backlight - I got a lot of emails saying "can I have just the programmer for less?". Because I don't supply the LED backlight (you get it from HobbyKing), I can sell the kit for less money.

- Steven
s_mack is online now Find More Posts by s_mack
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 16, 2012, 02:20 PM
Registered User
Eagle202's Avatar
United States, FL, Clearwater
Joined Aug 2011
1,585 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by s_mack View Post
The EL version no longer exists (well, that's not quite true... if you really want one, I have a kit here I was keeping for my collection of things I made).

Prior to Rev 2.2, it was only EL. Then I ran into a supply problem with the EL and also was getting a LOT of requests to support LED... so starting with Rev 2.2 I switched it to LED.

While some people (including myself) very much preferred the EL, I'd say most people really just wanted a bright screen and they preferred the LED. Plus, EL was very sensitive to ESD damage so there was a lot of problems with that. Finally, not everyone wanted a backlight - I got a lot of emails saying "can I have just the programmer for less?". Because I don't supply the LED backlight (you get it from HobbyKing), I can sell the kit for less money.

- Steven
Steve

Thanks for getting back to me. I appreciate the information.

I do apologize for not doing my research and seeing that the EL version has been discontinued. I skimmed the posts in this thread to get to the end and missed a critical item like that.

I can get the programming board kit with rev 2.2, LED backlight and a few other things from the supplier who sold me my Flysky Tx. I just wanted to make sure there wasn't a better deal out there before I got it from him.

His website does mention it is a Smartieparts programming board.

Thanks again.

Vince
Eagle202 is online now Find More Posts by Eagle202
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 16, 2012, 02:33 PM
Registered Loser
Canada, BC, Central Okanagan H
Joined Jun 2010
3,251 Posts
Is that Preston's site (parkeflyer.com)? I think he's done a fantastic job putting together his kits and his website, in my opinion, looks great! Considering what he's bundling together, there's some real value there!

- Steven
s_mack is online now Find More Posts by s_mack
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 16, 2012, 02:58 PM
Registered User
Eagle202's Avatar
United States, FL, Clearwater
Joined Aug 2011
1,585 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by s_mack View Post
Is that Preston's site (parkeflyer.com)? I think he's done a fantastic job putting together his kits and his website, in my opinion, looks great! Considering what he's bundling together, there's some real value there!

- Steven
Yes it is the Parkeflyer site. I felt I got a real great deal on the 9X Tx for $70 so I added the Frsky DJT and R8R-XP Rx to my purchase. I then thought about getting the programming board but saw your thread on RCgroups.

I really like what I have read on this thread and recognize the great customer support you have provided others. I was then reluctant to get the kit from Parkeflyer if it meant your loss. If he gets his boards from you then hopefully everyone makes out in the deal. Based on your comments you seem to support what he sells so I feel better if I get his package unless you have better deal.

Thanks again for the info.

Vince
Eagle202 is online now Find More Posts by Eagle202
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 16, 2012, 03:15 PM
Registered Loser
Canada, BC, Central Okanagan H
Joined Jun 2010
3,251 Posts
I fully support his efforts He's trying hard to provide 9x customers with good value and good service. He got a bit of a rough ride when he first posted here on rcgroups... I'm really not sure why. But he's stuck with it and I think he's on the right track!

So yes... absolutely... buy from him guilt free I do appreciate the concern though!

As far as which deal is better? That's up to the customer. I charge $35 and his is $50, but for that extra $15 you get some really nice goodies! The LED backlight and thumbsticks right there are easily worth $15 (and saves you having to order the LED from HK) so you get a neck strap and those simple (but useful!) switch covers.

Also, since he's in the US and I'm in Canada... you'd get it a bit quicker than ordering from me.

I don't mean to sound like I don't want the sales though. I just appreciate the efforts he's taking and he deserves people's support too!

- Steven
s_mack is online now Find More Posts by s_mack
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Download RCDeskpilot Add-on Planes In Post #1 UPDATED MARCH 7 2011 Wilfor Simulators 192 Yesterday 01:55 PM
Sold RealFlight G3.5 With Controller and Vol. 3 Add-On Rob02Aggie Aircraft - General - Miscellaneous (FS/W) 3 Nov 13, 2010 02:13 PM
Question Searching RC Car with transmitter having the pots NOT soldered directly on the board Nase Electric Power Cars 0 Nov 07, 2010 08:46 AM
Discussion Built-in-Balancer: Replace a 14.4 nihm pack with 5S LiFE leveraging original charger? coreyfro DIY Electronics 0 Nov 05, 2010 09:33 AM