HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 28, 2012, 05:52 AM
Lets break some props :D
United Kingdom, Liverpool
Joined Jun 2008
4,484 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by reacher10 View Post
Your beyond the scope of this thread now that you've flashed your radio.

There is a lot of discussion on this topic.

I suggest you do some reading in these area's.

http://9xforums.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=4

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...=1266162&pp=50

You are gonna love this transmitter!
Yeah, thanks for that, had a look over the week end and I must say that I'm impressed with the ER9X FW , so neat! even though I haven't come to use it on a plane yet (I'm learning how to use ER9X FW ) is so powerful, looking forward to using the mixes I needed for a project.

This thing is now PACKED with neat features!
joseico90 is online now Find More Posts by joseico90
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old May 28, 2012, 08:45 AM
You Know What I Mean
Australia, NSW, Sydney
Joined Dec 2011
880 Posts
9xAddon Board v2.1 Turnigy Backlight Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by s_mack View Post
I am a demanding consumer myself. -Steven

Speaking of demanding consumers, Steven,
i was wondering if you are going to sell stand-alone product for Rev2.1 9xAddon-board
that allows us to use the HobbyKing Backlight on/off switch?
(Bought your board and a red EL but see you are not continuing this in your 9XAddon-Board anymore).

Do we have to buy another 9xAddon board from you to switch the Turnigy backlights on/off with the 9x Tx?
I sure hope not. A cheaper option would probably suit many of your existing customers i believe.
LaserBeam is offline Find More Posts by LaserBeam
Old May 28, 2012, 09:35 AM
Registered Loser
Canada, BC, Central Okanagan H
Joined Jun 2010
3,251 Posts
Technology marches on...

I had that batch of red EL panels for the same reason I'm switching to LED support - a supplier crapped out on me and I can't get the EL for even close to the same price anymore. They never mentioned it in the past, but it turned out the only reason I was able to get them before was because they had surplus from a previous order. I had zero notice. I ordered one day and they said "all gone" - thankfully they had a small amount of red so I at least had something.

Rev 2.2 supports the Hobbyking LED but it doesn't come with it. The board will likely be a little cheaper but not much - the LED support circuitry partially offsets the cost savings from not supplying the EL and related circuitry. Rev 2.2 will allow the user to turn the LED backlight on/off the same way as they currently can with the EL, but also will be able to dim the light as they see fit (pending firmware support).

Something I haven't yet mentioned - I've done some measurements with a light meter, and these are the results:
  • EL backlight with SP board (dimmer by design) - fixed at 800 LUX
  • EL backlight max brightness (with an uncontrolled inverter, for example) - around 1200 LUX
  • HK white LED backlight with their circuitry - around 1200 LUX
  • HK white LED backlight with Rev 2.2 circuitry - variable from 80 LUX to 1440 LUX
So now it can be as bright or as dim as the user wants!

But will I make a standalone? I can't imagine that's feasible, but I'll think about it.

- Steven
s_mack is offline Find More Posts by s_mack
Old May 28, 2012, 09:41 AM
Row 0, Seat A
Savannah, GA
Joined Jan 2008
2,705 Posts
Quote:
Technology marches on...
<snip>
But will I make a standalone? I can't imagine that's feasible, but I'll think about it.

- Steven
Please give it some serious thought. I would love to replace my ELs with LEDs without having to junk my existing SP boards.

Thanx,

Ted
G550Ted is online now Find More Posts by G550Ted
Old May 28, 2012, 10:16 AM
Registered Loser
Joined Jun 2010
3,251 Posts
Of course, you don't *need* any special board to control the LED backlight via the output pin (marked "VDD" on current SP boards)... you can just wire it up via a fet and have on/off control. But I do recognize this would be easier.

Also, in case some weren't aware, you are perfectly able to use the HK backlight in conjunction with the SP board with no modification whatsoever... just don't use the included EL. In this case, you wouldn't have on/off control - it would be on/off with the main switch as designed by HK.

The problem with making a standalone, is that these things are produced in quantity. Are there 500 people that want on/off/dim control of their HK backlight (whether or not they have a rev 2.1 or earlier SP board)? Maybe.

I already have the design and I suppose the risk (cost) is fairly acceptable... so I will (seriously) consider it.

What's it worth to you?

- Steven

ps. Just so you're aware... whether its the Rev 2.2 board or a standalone, modification to the HK backlight is required. Its not "plug and play". HK designed it as simple as possible - which is great, but limited. The simple in series resistor they use is not really the "right" way to drive an LED. Granted, it is the most COMMON way, in the DIY world at least, but it has its disadvantages. Anyway - long story short - if I make it plug and play, with the in-series resistor in place, it is way too dim. Modification required Snip the whole wire harness they include off so that you're left with just the panel and the two wires (red/black). Solder those two wires to my board. Not difficult, but not "solderless", which has always been my goal for these things.
Old May 28, 2012, 07:59 PM
You can't take the sky from me
United States, WA, Richland
Joined May 2009
5,874 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by G550Ted View Post
Please give it some serious thought. I would love to replace my ELs with LEDs without having to junk my existing SP boards.

Thanx,

Ted
Sell your old boards?. Do it now while there is no stock available and you'd probably be able to get most of your $$ back out of them. Supply and demand.
scott page is offline Find More Posts by scott page
RCG Plus Member
Old May 29, 2012, 12:26 AM
Australia, New South Wales, Sydney
Joined Jan 2011
109 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaserBeam View Post
:
Do we have to buy another 9xAddon board from you to switch the Turnigy backlights on/off with the 9x Tx?
I sure hope not. A cheaper option would probably suit many of your existing customers i believe.
I tend to agree.

I used the Smartieparts board on my first 9X and junked the HK backlight that I had already installed (well, it got damaged when I removed it to put in the Smartieparts board).

My second 9X also had a HK backlight and rather than put another board in it I just soldered an IDC 10 pin connector in and flashed it with my USBasp dongle that I already had for flashing KK board firmware. The inspiration for that was the very clear youtube video by BMSWEB. The Smartieparts board was great for getting me into er9x but the soldering job for USBasp dongle flashing is pretty easy if you give yourself a little time and take it slow, and for those with HK backlights already installed its possibly the better way to go.
graeme_robinson is offline Find More Posts by graeme_robinson
Old Jun 07, 2012, 07:51 AM
Australia, QLD, Townsville
Joined Jan 2012
23 Posts
Just ordered a couple of boards... Looking forward to check out the custom firmwards for my 9x
MrADuff is offline Find More Posts by MrADuff
Old Jun 07, 2012, 10:30 AM
Registered Loser
Joined Jun 2010
3,251 Posts
Rev 2.2 is now available for pre-order.

I probably will have a standalone LED driver circuit, but it won't be for awhile - I want to get thing settled with the main board first.
Old Jun 07, 2012, 12:50 PM
You Know What I Mean
Australia, NSW, Sydney
Joined Dec 2011
880 Posts
Quote:
Rev 2.2 is now available for pre-order. I probably will have a standalone LED driver circuit, but it won't be for awhile - I want to get thing settled with the main board first.

Thanks very much. Great news on the LED circuit.
Sold.
Old Jun 10, 2012, 02:24 AM
You Know What I Mean
Australia, NSW, Sydney
Joined Dec 2011
880 Posts
I'd Buy That

Quote:
But will I make a standalone? I can't imagine that's feasible, but I'll think about it.- Steven

Steven, you may be right about the feasability of a standalone.
Impossible to say how many are gonna want to upgrade their Rev2.1 9Xaddon boards,
(I guess a 'poll' taken here may give an idea).
I do want to say that yours are great products and im very happy with the items ive bought from you.

Personally, if the price of Rev2.2 stays at $35 i'll buy a 2nd board for my other 9X,
(always wanted two of your addon boards but was having a hard time justifying it when i can swap my existing with the removal of 10 screws).

If it IS feasable and they are inexpensive, then id take a standalone also, for my Rev2.1 board.
The hobbyking lights provide good illumination and the
SmartieParts Rev2.2 boards ability to adjust the brightness, and turn them on/off is brilliant.
Old Jun 10, 2012, 09:18 AM
Registered Loser
Joined Jun 2010
3,251 Posts
Thanks for that.

I've started work on the design. Not that its much work, given that I already have the circuit from Rev 2.2 so its just layout considerations.

I'm not confident I can sell 500 - the minimum I have to make to keep the costs down - but, given the feedback, I deem it worth the risk.

One other thing I'm considering instead of a standalone LED driver... and I'd appreciate feedback... see the discussion regarding my TelemetrEZ product idea. It occurred to me that I could add the backlight driver circuit to that easy enough. From a business point of view, it has the advantage of perhaps enticing current SP owners to purchase the new product if they want LED support or easier telemetry support or both, without having to worry about yet another SKU to move in volume. It also means I don't have to come up with somewhere to mount the standalone LED driver without interfering with an existing mod. And it means some cost efficiencies because we wouldn't need a custom wiring harness just for the small LED driver (it piggy backs on either the Rev 2.2 or the TelemetrEZ). Finally, obviously it is advantageous for someone that would purchase the TelemetrEZ anyway and don't have an SP at all (they installed their own programmer, for example) because they get an added feature onboard. The negatives are: 1) if a customer really doesn't want the telemetry or Rev 2.2... they JUST want the LED driver... then one way or the other, they're asked to pay for something they don't want; 2) for a customer that wants both Rev 2.2 and TelemetrEZ... they've in effect paid for two LED drivers when they obviously need only 1 (however, not really because I could add it to TelemetrEZ without adjusting the final price - the components for LED support aren't very expensive).

If after that, the feel from you guys is still, "nah, I'd rather have standalone" then the one question I have: where do we put it? It needs to have a harness that plugs into the 6-pin connector on the board to get power - similar to how the LED panel currently does. So that's the general area it goes. The nearby screw is already used by the SP board, for those that have it. Do I just leave the customer to glue it where they feel suits them? That keeps the cost down a bit as I don't have to worry about screws and spacers.

- Steven
Old Jun 10, 2012, 03:09 PM
Row 0, Seat A
Savannah, GA
Joined Jan 2008
2,705 Posts
Quote:
Thanks for that.

I've started work on the design. Not that its much work, given that I already have the circuit from Rev 2.2 so its just layout considerations.

I'm not confident I can sell 500 - the minimum I have to make to keep the costs down - but, given the feedback, I deem it worth the risk.

One other thing I'm considering instead of a standalone LED driver... and I'd appreciate feedback... see the discussion regarding my TelemetrEZ product idea. It occurred to me that I could add the backlight driver circuit to that easy enough. From a business point of view, it has the advantage of perhaps enticing current SP owners to purchase the new product if they want LED support or easier telemetry support or both, without having to worry about yet another SKU to move in volume. It also means I don't have to come up with somewhere to mount the standalone LED driver without interfering with an existing mod. And it means some cost efficiencies because we wouldn't need a custom wiring harness just for the small LED driver (it piggy backs on either the Rev 2.2 or the TelemetrEZ). Finally, obviously it is advantageous for someone that would purchase the TelemetrEZ anyway and don't have an SP at all (they installed their own programmer, for example) because they get an added feature onboard. The negatives are: 1) if a customer really doesn't want the telemetry or Rev 2.2... they JUST want the LED driver... then one way or the other, they're asked to pay for something they don't want; 2) for a customer that wants both Rev 2.2 and TelemetrEZ... they've in effect paid for two LED drivers when they obviously need only 1 (however, not really because I could add it to TelemetrEZ without adjusting the final price - the components for LED support aren't very expensive).

If after that, the feel from you guys is still, "nah, I'd rather have standalone" then the one question I have: where do we put it? It needs to have a harness that plugs into the 6-pin connector on the board to get power - similar to how the LED panel currently does. So that's the general area it goes. The nearby screw is already used by the SP board, for those that have it. Do I just leave the customer to glue it where they feel suits them? That keeps the cost down a bit as I don't have to worry about screws and spacers.

- Steven
Steven,

What do you estimate the cost for a stand alone LED light board?

Ted
G550Ted is online now Find More Posts by G550Ted
Old Jul 05, 2012, 11:42 AM
Joined Feb 2007
34 Posts
Thanks, long story

I bought a cheap 400 cp heli, Walkera #36 a couple years ago. Crashed it like crazy and started replacing parts with good quality upgrades. Completely rebuilt it with Carbon Fibre frame and all the bling that fits TREX 450. Only stock parts left are tail boom and landing gear. Soon realized crashes were likely due to crappy electronics. I Picked up an Xieda 9958 and a Blade MCPX try my luck with, both came with cheapy controllers. Started reading up about the 9x controllers and possible mods. I learned that I could improve flying characteristics and range of the 9958 with the Flysky 9x which binds in stock form. Add a Spektrum Module and bind the MCPX with er9x FW. I put the receiver that came with the Spektrum Module in my 400 and with all the left over spare parts I had, I put together a second 400 and put the Flysky RX in that. I put in the SmartieParts board and backlight and programmed everything easily. The SmartieParts board is the key that allowed all of this to happen, now I have 4 cool helis all controlled with one cool TX. It got me back into the hobby in a big way. There is no easier way I could have done this without SmartieParts board. I think it’s an incredible product, incredibly cheap for what it allowed me to do. Now I can add any bind n fly model to my collection or use a cheap flysky RX with anything else. Thanks!!!
Flybob4 is offline Find More Posts by Flybob4
Last edited by Flybob4; Jul 05, 2012 at 11:49 AM. Reason: wrong word
Old Jul 05, 2012, 12:36 PM
Registered Loser
Joined Jun 2010
3,251 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by G550Ted View Post
Steven,

What do you estimate the cost for a stand alone LED light board?

Ted
Sorry Ted, I didn't see this message until now!

I expect a standalone LED driver to be $8 to $10.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flybob4 View Post
I bought a cheap 400 cp heli, Walkera #36 a couple years ago. Crashed it like crazy and started replacing parts with good quality upgrades. Completely rebuilt it with Carbon Fibre frame and all the bling that fits TREX 450. Only stock parts left are tail boom and landing gear. Soon realized crashes were likely due to crappy electronics. I Picked up an Xieda 9958 and a Blade MCPX try my luck with, both came with cheapy controllers. Started reading up about the 9x controllers and possible mods. I learned that I could improve flying characteristics and range of the 9958 with the Flysky 9x which binds in stock form. Add a Spektrum Module and bind the MCPX with er9x FW. I put the receiver that came with the Spektrum Module in my 400 and with all the left over spare parts I had, I put together a second 400 and put the Flysky RX in that. I put in the SmartieParts board and backlight and programmed everything easily. The SmartieParts board is the key that allowed all of this to happen, now I have 4 cool helis all controlled with one cool TX. It got me back into the hobby in a big way. There is no easier way I could have done this without SmartieParts board. I think it’s an incredible product, incredibly cheap for what it allowed me to do. Now I can add any bind n fly model to my collection or use a cheap flysky RX with anything else. Thanks!!!
Well thanks so much for all the praise! Still... most of the credit for you being able to do what you want to do... it goes to the firmware guys. I just make a tool to help people get the firmware on their tx easier, but without the firmware itself... the tool would be worthless.

- Steven
Last edited by s_mack; Jul 05, 2012 at 08:40 PM.