HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Reply
Thread Tools
Old Jan 04, 2011, 12:42 PM
Registered User
Australia, New South Wales, Hobartville
Joined Jan 2011
150 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gohsthb View Post
See the "Quickstart" here
http://code.google.com/p/eepe/
how do I down load that file http://er9x.googlecode.com/svn/trunk/er9x.hex as all I see when I open this link is a lot of code?

Just new to this side of things so may sound a little dumb with questions.
phantom1500 is offline Find More Posts by phantom1500
Reply With Quote
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 04, 2011, 12:51 PM
Registered User
crucial's Avatar
USA, SE Wisconsin
Joined May 2009
2,375 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by phantom1500 View Post
how do I down load that file http://er9x.googlecode.com/svn/trunk/er9x.hex as all I see when I open this link is a lot of code?

Just new to this side of things so may sound a little dumb with questions.
right-click and "save-as"
crucial is offline Find More Posts by crucial
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 04, 2011, 12:54 PM
Registered User
Australia, New South Wales, Hobartville
Joined Jan 2011
150 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by crucial View Post
right-click and "save-as"
I did that and saved it to my desktop but it is saved as er9x.hex but shows up as a rich text doc?

I get
error reading file:
File wrong size -c/:.......er9x.hex

this is when I try to open it in eepe.
phantom1500 is offline Find More Posts by phantom1500
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 04, 2011, 01:00 PM
Registered User
Australia, New South Wales, Hobartville
Joined Jan 2011
150 Posts
ps, I right clicked on the link and saved as and it saved the file as er9x.hex but I get the error message of file wrong size...
phantom1500 is offline Find More Posts by phantom1500
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 04, 2011, 01:01 PM
Registered User
crucial's Avatar
USA, SE Wisconsin
Joined May 2009
2,375 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by phantom1500 View Post
I did that and saved it to my desktop but it is saved as er9x.hex but shows up as a rich text doc?

I get
error reading file:
File wrong size -c/:.......er9x.hex

this is when I try to open it in eepe.
Do you have the programmer board installed yet? What are you trying to do exactly?
crucial is offline Find More Posts by crucial
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 04, 2011, 01:06 PM
Registered User
Australia, New South Wales, Hobartville
Joined Jan 2011
150 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by crucial View Post
Do you have the programmer board installed yet? What are you trying to do exactly?
No, I'm still waiting for it to arrive, I was trying to view the hex file using the eepe program.
phantom1500 is offline Find More Posts by phantom1500
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 04, 2011, 01:07 PM
Registered User
Naperville, IL
Joined Mar 2009
833 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by phantom1500 View Post
ps, I right clicked on the link and saved as and it saved the file as er9x.hex but I get the error message of file wrong size...
You would need to go to "Burn" -> "Write flash memory"

Open only works with EEprom files. This is how to flash new firmware
gohsthb is offline Find More Posts by gohsthb
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 04, 2011, 01:12 PM
Registered User
Australia, New South Wales, Hobartville
Joined Jan 2011
150 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gohsthb View Post
You would need to go to "Burn" -> "Write flash memory"

Open only works with EEprom files. This is how to flash new firmware
ok..so the hex is the new FW file and what I create in the eepe programe is an EEprom file that has all the model settings?

Must sign off now and head to work, will check back later today...cheers all.
phantom1500 is offline Find More Posts by phantom1500
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 04, 2011, 01:13 PM
Registered User
Naperville, IL
Joined Mar 2009
833 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by phantom1500 View Post
ok..so the hex is the new FW file and what I create in the eepe programe is an EEprom file that has all the model settings?

Must sign off now and head to work, will check back later today...cheers all.
Yes. You cannot edit the hex file with EEPE.
gohsthb is offline Find More Posts by gohsthb
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 04, 2011, 01:16 PM
Registered User
crucial's Avatar
USA, SE Wisconsin
Joined May 2009
2,375 Posts
OK, if you want to get an idea of how the firmware works using eepe you have to create a new eeprom file from within eepe. This will let you edit models and run them in the simulator.

The radio has 2 pieces of software that make things run. The first is the firmware which is the er9x.hex file. Then you also have the eeprom. This is where the info for the models/stick calibration are stored. When you flash the radio with the new firmware it will erase the eeprom and the first time you start it up after flashing it will create a new eeprom file. Then the next time you want to update the radio to a new firmware you first download the eeprom from the radio to save it on your pc. This will ensure that you don't lose your models as flashing the firmware erases the eeprom. Then when you flash the radio you flash the new firmware and then flash the eeprom. This will reload you model data after the flash.

There is an alternate way of doing it as well. There is a setting that you can set that will tell the radio not to erase the eeprom when flashing a new firmware. This will also save the model data. Note: This will not apply the first time you install er9x over the factory software.

Edit: Looks like you figured all this out before I posted.
crucial is offline Find More Posts by crucial
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 04, 2011, 01:18 PM
Registered Loser
Canada, BC, Central Okanagan H
Joined Jun 2010
3,266 Posts
{edit: in the time it took me to type this... Phantom figured it out.}
s_mack is offline Find More Posts by s_mack
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 04, 2011, 04:27 PM
Registered User
wheelspinner20's Avatar
S.E.Michigan
Joined Jul 2010
2,240 Posts
Ok, while your in the mood to divulge info to newbs... When I open eepe, is it supposed to go look for updates? because every time I open it, it prompts a small windows critical stop window and says unable to check for updates, and yes I am logged online when I open it.

And 2, this may sound silly but, when I right click on the latest revision of ER9X it overwrites the last one, and saves it with the little rubics cube icon on my desktop, which is fine, unless I want to label it with which revision it is. When I tried (this is several weeks ago) to include the date in the file, it does not save with the proper icon, and also is not recognized when eepe prompts for which hex file to burn to the tx... does that make sense?? I realize I can go get whatever revision I want from the google site, but then, what, I have to count on my memory?? because there is still only one little er9x icon on my desktop.?

3. Is all the heli stuff taking up room in the "package" and does it matter? Should I be concerned with getting only the latest revision before heli stuff because I don't fly heli's and probably never will. I mean I only have 3 models, does it take away space from eprom storage? just in case I get crazy and start collecting 15 models... etc? (to be honest, I think the plane guys have been completely ignored lately I'm kinda sad about that..lol) And which revision was that with the 1 button model load, right before the heli craze took over. Because I think thats the one I want.

I know I remember reading about updated versions of EEPE not being compatible with older eeproms? And I really don't have time to dig back through the er9x mega thread. It would be nice if there was a sticky a the first page for recent changes that users need to know before they go to update the fw, because if you don't check the thread for 2 weeks, you have a month of reading to do.!

Thanks

Pat.
wheelspinner20 is offline Find More Posts by wheelspinner20
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 04, 2011, 04:42 PM
Registered Loser
Canada, BC, Central Okanagan H
Joined Jun 2010
3,266 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelspinner20 View Post
And 2, this may sound silly but, when I right click on the latest revision of ER9X it overwrites the last one, and saves it with the little rubics cube icon on my desktop, which is fine, unless I want to label it with which revision it is. When I tried (this is several weeks ago) to include the date in the file, it does not save with the proper icon, and also is not recognized when eepe prompts for which hex file to burn to the tx... does that make sense?? I realize I can go get whatever revision I want from the google site, but then, what, I have to count on my memory?? because there is still only one little er9x icon on my desktop.?
I think I know what's going on here. What version of Windows are you using?

I think your Windows is set up to hide "known file type extensions". So when its saved to your computer, instead of showing "filename.hex" you probably see just "filename", right? Then when you rename it, you aren't putting the .hex back in so its changing the file type (or the extension isn't hidden, but you're simply leaving it off when you rename it?). That's what I think is happening when you say the icon is changing on you... its because you're effectively changing the file type as well as the file name.

- Steven
s_mack is offline Find More Posts by s_mack
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 04, 2011, 04:49 PM
Registered User
crucial's Avatar
USA, SE Wisconsin
Joined May 2009
2,375 Posts
Typically if hide extensions is turned on then when you change the name it will leave the existing extension on the file. leaving an extension off the name will only eliminate the extension if hide extensions is turned off.
crucial is offline Find More Posts by crucial
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 04, 2011, 04:51 PM
Registered User
erazz's Avatar
United States, NJ
Joined Jun 2004
1,746 Posts
Whew... Lot's of questions.

First off if it tells you that it's unable to check for updates it's probably because it can't reach the server. Most likely you're behind a firewall or for some reason it can't figure out your connection. Best I can offer is to simply turn off the update checking option (File -> Preferences).

2) Seems to me that when you rename the file you also rename the extension. The extension needs to remain ".hex". Try renaming "er9x.hex" to "er9x-r306.hex".

3) Absolutely not. The heli stuff doesn't take any space or any processing power unless you turn it on. The way er9x stores your models depends on how complex you make them. The more complex you make them the more room they'll take up. Realistically you can expect ~12 moderately simple models or ~6 really complex models.

Actually it's the heli guys who were overlooked for a really long time. I think that there really isn't anything you can't do with this radio when it comes to airplanes. However, if you feel that there's a function that is missing please point it out! I'll do my best to incorporate it.

You really should use the latest revision as it includes many bug fixes. Again, the heli stuff doesn't matter to you if you don't turn it on.

4) eePe currently is compatible with all EEPROMS since r290 or so. Even previous versions should work as well.


Hope this all make sense.
Erez
erazz is offline Find More Posts by erazz
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Download RCDeskpilot Add-on Planes In Post #1 UPDATED MARCH 7 2011 Wilfor Simulators 197 Jul 23, 2014 10:01 AM
Sold RealFlight G3.5 With Controller and Vol. 3 Add-On Rob02Aggie Aircraft - General - Miscellaneous (FS/W) 3 Nov 13, 2010 03:13 PM
Question Searching RC Car with transmitter having the pots NOT soldered directly on the board Nase Electric Power Cars 0 Nov 07, 2010 09:46 AM
Discussion Built-in-Balancer: Replace a 14.4 nihm pack with 5S LiFE leveraging original charger? coreyfro DIY Electronics 0 Nov 05, 2010 10:33 AM