HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 27, 2012, 06:23 PM
Australia, New South Wales, Sydney
Joined Jan 2011
109 Posts
seeking confirmation on usb and el plug connection

Hi, I actually posted this question to Steve via the smartieparts website but hoping I might get a quicker response here from someone in my timezone.

I got the rev.2.1 white 9x programmer board & EL yesterday and have installed them in one of my V2 9x transmitters. It went in sweet but there are no specific instructions on how to connect the USB or EL two pin plugs. See attached photos, does that look right? ie red wire at the base of the tx. There is a GND marking on the board which lines up with the black wire so that seems right.

I had to snick off a corner of the large plug to fit it into the tx but with the location of the wires this is really the only way the plug could go in I think so I'm 90% sure its correct.

With the two pin EL connector it seems it doesn't matter which way its connected - I could find nothing to distinguish polarity though there is a triangle printed into the connector on one pin. Confirmation would be appreciated. Thanks for the great thread BTW - I've been making way through it but like so many on rcgroups, its mega!

Looking forward to loading up the firmware.
graeme_robinson is offline Find More Posts by graeme_robinson
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 27, 2012, 06:29 PM
USA, SE Wisconsin
Joined May 2009
2,375 Posts
http://www.smartieparts.com/shop/ind...page=page&id=9

Installation instructions right from the Smartieparts site.
crucial is offline Find More Posts by crucial
Old Mar 27, 2012, 06:42 PM
You can't take the sky from me
United States, WA, Richland
Joined May 2009
5,670 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by graeme_robinson View Post
Hi, I actually posted this question to Steve via the smartieparts website but hoping I might get a quicker response here from someone in my timezone.

I got the rev.2.1 white 9x programmer board & EL yesterday and have installed them in one of my V2 9x transmitters. It went in sweet but there are no specific instructions on how to connect the USB or EL two pin plugs. See attached photos, does that look right? ie red wire at the base of the tx. There is a GND marking on the board which lines up with the black wire so that seems right.

I had to snick off a corner of the large plug to fit it into the tx but with the location of the wires this is really the only way the plug could go in I think so I'm 90% sure its correct.

With the two pin EL connector it seems it doesn't matter which way its connected - I could find nothing to distinguish polarity though there is a triangle printed into the connector on one pin. Confirmation would be appreciated. Thanks for the great thread BTW - I've been making way through it but like so many on rcgroups, its mega!

Looking forward to loading up the firmware.
looks good
scott page is offline Find More Posts by scott page
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 27, 2012, 06:50 PM
United States, NJ
Joined Jun 2004
1,746 Posts
The EL takes AC. Polarity does not matter because it does not exist
erazz is offline Find More Posts by erazz
Old Mar 28, 2012, 01:23 AM
Australia, New South Wales, Sydney
Joined Jan 2011
109 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by erazz View Post
The EL takes AC. Polarity does not matter because it does not exist
thanks erazz - Steve actually got back to me pretty quick. All good and I've been working my way through my first model setup - woot!
graeme_robinson is offline Find More Posts by graeme_robinson
Old Mar 28, 2012, 10:20 AM
United States, NJ
Joined Jun 2004
1,746 Posts
Great to hear!
Yup, Steven is top when it comes to customer care.
erazz is offline Find More Posts by erazz
Old Mar 28, 2012, 09:26 PM
Va
Joined Sep 2005
97 Posts
Got my Turnigy 9x and purchased the smartieparts board with BL. Followed all the instructions for install of hardware and software. Everything went well. Thanks for a great upgrade. The only thing I really miss from the originaly FW is the "icons". I am a picture kinda guy I like to see icons rather than words. It is so much easier and it is universal regardless of language. Anywaycould you add things like the orginal firmware system settings and functions settings icons along with some new ones for the different screens??
rcflyertim is offline Find More Posts by rcflyertim
Old Mar 28, 2012, 10:06 PM
Just fly
Australia, VIC, Glen Waverley
Joined Jan 2011
2,014 Posts
Thats would be gold!

I have to say the ER9x FW is just plain text and lines.. not very appealing and looks very much like a programmers/geeks dream of fw. No BS, no bling, just a powerful FW.
evltoy is offline Find More Posts by evltoy
Old Mar 29, 2012, 09:20 PM
Va
Joined Sep 2005
97 Posts
YES.....exactly my point. I am not a programmer and thanks to all you that are who have done a wonderful job with the er9x software. But to really make this program a typical flyers dream machine to use, it needs some pazzaaz! Icons..... would send this FW to the next level!!!!. I bet there are some really talented guys out there that could do it in a matter of days. Nothing at all wrong with all the addedsoftware features,..... just make it have "curb appeal" now!
Old Mar 29, 2012, 09:25 PM
Joined May 2009
5,670 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcflyertim View Post
YES.....exactly my point. I am not a programmer and thanks to all you that are who have done a wonderful job with the er9x software. But to really make this program a typical flyers dream machine to use, it needs some pazzaaz! Icons..... would send this FW to the next level!!!!. I bet there are some really talented guys out there that could do it in a matter of days. Nothing at all wrong with all the addedsoftware features,..... just make it have "curb appeal" now!
Don't hold your breath.
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 29, 2012, 10:01 PM
USA, SE Wisconsin
Joined May 2009
2,375 Posts
The firmware is already almost out of space so icons would take up valuable space. I prefer more models to icons.
crucial is offline Find More Posts by crucial
Old Mar 29, 2012, 10:22 PM
Just fly
Joined Jan 2011
2,014 Posts
Is there any designs in the future to increase space with an installation of a SD slot? if this was so, you would have the opportunity to move models into that space.
Old Mar 29, 2012, 10:55 PM
Va
Joined Sep 2005
97 Posts
I don't need 16 or 30 models memory on my TX to fly. What I DO need is a screen that can be quickly navigated with visual clues (AKA..icons). When I go to flying events or a weekend of indoor/outdoor flying i usualy have 3-10 models with me.The rest of my 200 models I do have in my hanger can be stored on a file for later use or saved on a master sheet.
Old Mar 30, 2012, 12:00 AM
Joined May 2009
5,670 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcflyertim View Post
I don't need 16 or 30 models memory on my TX to fly. What I DO need is a screen that can be quickly navigated with visual clues (AKA..icons). When I go to flying events or a weekend of indoor/outdoor flying i usualy have 3-10 models with me.The rest of my 200 models I do have in my hanger can be stored on a file for later use or saved on a master sheet.
I suppose that er9x might not be your cup of tea then. Perhaps Futaba. They make nice icons. Or you could flash the stock software back to the transmitter. Or you could do what Eraz did -- modify the firmware to fit YOUR needs and you will start a new branch -- my9x

I've been reading the posts of these guys quite awhile, and I can tell you with great confidence that icons are not only way down the list of priorities -- they are completely off the list and only an irritant. Same with having pre-programmed mixes -- just not happening.

But, if you use eepe and /or companion 9x and the er9x for awhile the lack of eye candy will be compensated for by the superior programming power -- and the ability to navigate will come with experience.

Last year when I started I was one lost puppy with the navigation -- but now I can't imagine anything better.

If you have not tried companion9x -- do so -- it's a great .. well.. companion.
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 30, 2012, 12:31 AM
Just fly
Joined Jan 2011
2,014 Posts
I get confuse with all the mixing and how/why to mix for a heli swash. I dont know the fundamentals of it so this is why I don’t get how to build a template.