Row 0, Seat A
Savannah, GA
Joined Jan 2008
2,706 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by KellyFPVER View Post
I give up
That won't get you up and running.

Maybe your best bet at this point would be to delete eePe and avrdude and start over closely following the instructions in both the SmartieParts and er9x sites. If unsure of anything during that process, don't guess. Come back here for confirmation on how to proceed.

Ted
G550Ted is offline Find More Posts by G550Ted
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 27, 2011, 02:40 PM
59 years of RC flying
Canada, ON, Ottawa
Joined Feb 2006
16,172 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Hurd View Post
Make sure that your tx board is clean. Steven suggested using 100% alcohol(?). I took a single edged razor blade and CAREFULLY scraped the tx pc board. I then cleaned it with a Qtip and some acetone. I lightly burnished the SP pins with a nail file(not recommended by Steven but, at least, clean them with the acetone).
Go easy on that board! There's no call for scraping and you may end up worse off. All it usually needs is a good cleaning with 99% Isopropyl alcohol to get the flux off. If there are lumps of solder, use an iron and wick off the excess, then clean with alcohol. DO NOT attack the pins with anything abrasive or you'll take off the gold plating! While all this rough stuff may get things going, it sets you up for bad contacts later. If you really must scrub the contacts, use nothing more abrasive than a pencil eraser.

The alcohol is available at an electronics shop. The lower concentrations from the drug store don't do the job.
Daedalus66 is online now Find More Posts by Daedalus66
Old Dec 27, 2011, 05:06 PM
United States, GA, Dahlonega
Joined Nov 2011
72 Posts
Listen to Daedalus66. I was getting the same messages. He told me to clean the pogo sticks and make sure the Smartie parts board was seated correctly. I did and it worked. If you are using Windows 7 or Vista, 64 bit processor, the driver download is different than the one previously described. It doesn't have a .bin file. USBBASP Win 7 and Vista Drivers are found on the eepe-EEPROM Edit website. Use the latest er9x hex file,not the stable (r444).
Amos
hamerson is offline Find More Posts by hamerson
Old Dec 28, 2011, 05:18 PM
I love to be above the clouds
Joined Aug 2011
326 Posts
ok ok already it was not the contact pads . hell I soldered in wires!

It was windows vista but when I told it to look in the right location in configure
C:/program files (x86)/eepe/avrdude.exe
and that worked!
but I wondering why on the radio's screen as it uploaded I had seen it say bad program is that normal ?
ER9X seems to be working now but OMG I need to do some reading in the manual lol
so many things I can do program . I was programming in slow servo movements last night for pan and tilt so my camera does not jurk around.
I do seem to still only have 8 channels thou . but that might be a binding isue with the thomas long range rx/tx
is there a er9x program just for the thomas long range system ??? my receiver has 12 channels on it but I cant seem to get 9,10,11,12 to work
KellyFPVER is offline Find More Posts by KellyFPVER
Old Dec 28, 2011, 06:11 PM
I don't speak German ....Yet !
Germany, Baden-Württemberg, Weissach im Tal
Joined Dec 2010
774 Posts
there is a setting in the model screen
it is screen 2/10 called Setup.
go down until you see:

Proto PPM 8CH 300uSec

Select the 8CH and change it to what you need/want.
GrootWitBaas is offline Find More Posts by GrootWitBaas
Old Dec 28, 2011, 08:31 PM
I love to be above the clouds
Joined Aug 2011
326 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by capt View Post
From Smartie Parts site>
http://www.smartieparts.com/shop/ind...age=page&id=12
9x Programmer - Windows Drivers

For all versions of Windows, you'll need to download and install the latest version of LibUSB drivers. Here are the steps:
  1. Download the zipped driver package here and save it to your computer.
  2. Unzip it to your computer and go to the unzipped folder (if you need help with unzipping, etc - refer to Google or ask help from a friend more comfortable with computers)
  3. In the unzipped folder is another folder called "bin". Inside that is a program called inf-wizard.exe. Double-click that to run it and follow the instructions on the first screen.
  4. In the Device Selection screen, choose "USBasp" from the list and click Next.
  5. In the Device Configuration screen leave everything alone and click Next.
  6. It will ask you where you want to save the INF file. It doesn't really matter where. Click Save.
  7. In the Information screen, click Install Now. If there is a warning such as "Windows can't verify the publisher of this driver software" you have to choose to install the driver anyway.
  8. After a few moments, you should get a "success" message and you're done.

yes got it working and this is what I did not do when installing the driver opps> In the Device Selection screen, choose "USBasp" from the list and click Next. omg this radio is a maze lol reading the manual now . thanks guys !
ps I was only giving up for the night . nothing stops this girl ! oh and we should copy paste these driver install instructions some place where new users will find them easy
KellyFPVER is offline Find More Posts by KellyFPVER
Last edited by KellyFPVER; Dec 28, 2011 at 09:46 PM.
Old Dec 28, 2011, 10:11 PM
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Joined Jun 2009
168 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by KellyFPVER View Post
yes got it working and this is what I did not do when installing the driver opps> In the Device Selection screen, choose "USBasp" from the list and click Next. omg this radio is a maze lol reading the manual now . thanks guys !
ps I was only giving up for the night . nothing stops this girl ! oh and we should copy paste these driver install instructions some place where new users will find them easy
Reading the manual now.
Isn't the order of progress to RTFM first, not last?

Not picking on you in particular, but so many people come here with problems after skimming the last few pages of the forum and jumping in with both feet with NO idea of what they are doing and no troubleshooting skills and expect everyone else to help them to sort things out.

There are some skills needed to get this FW loaded and you really should do some homework before you start. And the very first thing to do is read the manual untill you understand what it's trying to tell you. And then when it all works, you can say, honestly, that YOU did it.
Bill
SupraGo is offline Find More Posts by SupraGo
Last edited by SupraGo; Dec 28, 2011 at 10:12 PM. Reason: Spell
Old Dec 28, 2011, 10:46 PM
S.E.Michigan
Joined Jul 2010
2,240 Posts
Quote:
Not picking on you in particular, but so many people come here with problems after skimming the last few pages of the forum and jumping in with both feet with NO idea of what they are doing and no troubleshooting skills and expect.
Like you did in calling her out?? I would suggest that the driver install on this particular issue has been problematic for a while now, and repeatedly (some would say windows sucks), even for some who manage networks and do I.T. work for a living.
Quote:
everyone else to help them to sort things out
I would suggest that she requested help, not expected it. AFTER she did things to the best of her instruction. And if I'm not mistaken, this is a golden rescource for just that. A user driven, FRIENDLY and maintained community of sportspersons and enthusiasts with a very broad spectrum of skill and knowlege. (and yes, some, a lack thereof)

I for one, admire, and relate to, her requests for help. I have a hunch that there are quite a few out there lurking, whom have never had the need , or been able to afford a programmable radio in which PC knowlege was required to open up its possibilities.!

Pat
wheelspinner20 is offline Find More Posts by wheelspinner20
Old Dec 28, 2011, 11:32 PM
Registered Loser
Canada, BC, Central Okanagan H
Joined Jun 2010
3,251 Posts
I agree... with both of you.

I get the same questions over, and over, and over again. A lot of people DO jump to conclusions, make assumptions, simply "guess" at what to do rather than reading things carefully and following instructions. So I do relate with what Bill is saying. I'd be lying if I didn't say a little "Amen to that!" in my head . But I also very much appreciate and advocate for the helpfulness and patience that Pat is professing. While I have to say that many of the people that have problems could have solved their issue by simply reading... I also have to acknowledge that there have been enough cases of legitimate issues that its hard for someone to know (when they are tackling it for the first time) if their case is "special".

Anyway... I hope we can do both. I hope we can continue to be friendly and helpful AND I hope people can RTFM (excuse the term) a little before asking a question that's been asked a thousand times before.

I'm going to spend some time (when I get some) writing some blog entries to address the more common issues so people can simply link people to it.

- Steven
s_mack is offline Find More Posts by s_mack
Old Dec 28, 2011, 11:50 PM
S.E.Michigan
Joined Jul 2010
2,240 Posts
Are you running for mayor??? lol Wait, your the new B.C. diplomatic attache to quebec ey??

Just kidding. Glad to see you back in action. Hope you had a great christmas and Happy New Year.!

Pat
wheelspinner20 is offline Find More Posts by wheelspinner20
Old Dec 29, 2011, 12:41 AM
You can't take the sky from me
United States, WA, Richland
Joined May 2009
6,330 Posts
Actually, send your flames my way because I sent her a PM beseeching her to seek help with the experts in RCG. I never even dreamed anybody would take exception to this as ya'll were such a blessing when I was coming on-board.

Asbestos suit is on. Flame at me please.
scott page is offline Find More Posts by scott page
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 29, 2011, 02:04 AM
Registered Loser
Joined Jun 2010
3,251 Posts
No flame necessary. At all.

Both points are valid. We *ARE* here to help. We *SHOULD BE* (and usually are) friendly and happy to help. But it *IS* tiring answering a question that's been answered so many times before and/or something where there are clear instructions available to be read. And like Bill said in his post... I too am NOT picking on anyone in particular. The quoted passage in Bill's message is by NO MEANS the worst (or even close to it) example of someone that didn't "RTM" before asking... just the latest.

As you can see from the main forum's rapid decision to split up into a new forum, its obviously a ticking timebomb that had to go off some time. The forum here - with absolutely NO means of self moderation or organization - has become way too convoluted for new users to read and tiresome for the "old guard" to continually answer repeat questions.

Hopefully the new forum that's being experimented with will help resolve this kind of thing before it happens.

I'm sure I'm not alone when I say I truly hope KellyFPVER doesn't take any of this personally. That post has simply become a catalyst for discussion on organization and I don't think that discussion was really meant as a personal attack on that one post but rather on the state of how things are right now.

- Steven
Old Dec 29, 2011, 02:16 AM
You can't take the sky from me
United States, WA, Richland
Joined May 2009
6,330 Posts
Besides -- KellyFPVER is the only other female er9x pilot my wife knows of. And when I finish making my bride's er9x radio "HOT PINK" she will be the envy of all.

(actually I have her radio mods done -- but THEN she decided she wanted me to spray the case. )

WELCOME ABOARD the ER9x Cruise Kelly . There's a lesson at every turn.

Quote:
Originally Posted by s_mack View Post
No flame necessary. At all.

Both points are valid. We *ARE* here to help. We *SHOULD BE* (and usually are) friendly and happy to help. But it *IS* tiring answering a question that's been answered so many times before and/or something where there are clear instructions available to be read. And like Bill said in his post... I too am NOT picking on anyone in particular. The quoted passage in Bill's message is by NO MEANS the worst (or even close to it) example of someone that didn't "RTM" before asking... just the latest.

As you can see from the main forum's rapid decision to split up into a new forum, its obviously a ticking timebomb that had to go off some time. The forum here - with absolutely NO means of self moderation or organization - has become way too convoluted for new users to read and tiresome for the "old guard" to continually answer repeat questions.

Hopefully the new forum that's being experimented with will help resolve this kind of thing before it happens.

I'm sure I'm not alone when I say I truly hope KellyFPVER doesn't take any of this personally. That post has simply become a catalyst for discussion on organization and I don't think that discussion was really meant as a personal attack on that one post but rather on the state of how things are right now.

- Steven
scott page is offline Find More Posts by scott page
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 29, 2011, 02:23 AM
Registered Loser
Joined Jun 2010
3,251 Posts
Are we really THAT male dominated?
Old Dec 29, 2011, 02:53 AM
I don't speak German ....Yet !
Germany, Baden-Württemberg, Weissach im Tal
Joined Dec 2010
774 Posts
Yes we are.I have full respect for any person able to fly anything, and hats off to the few females in between. I am 100% sure my wife will never even try to fly anything RC, but my daughter loves this and I had to get her one of those small indoor IR controlled Heli's. My dearest wife refers to the helicoper thingamajiks ....that includes everything from multicopers all the way to the electronics side projects like my CNC and laser cutters

Steven so happy to see you here, can you have a look on here and post any feedback/changes
GrootWitBaas is offline Find More Posts by GrootWitBaas