HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 06, 2011, 02:55 PM
Lipoly Killer
Gulfport/Biloxi Biloxi Reg, Mississippi, United States
Joined Dec 2000
1,503 Posts
Progress

Using the location that Ken provided, I used that in the AVRDUDE location box. Now when I go to read or write to the tx, I get a window that says AVRDUDE didn't finish correctly and the read or write window saysouble check your connection or use -F to over-ride this check. Huh?
Thanks,
Frank
Frank Hurd is offline Find More Posts by Frank Hurd
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 06, 2011, 04:49 PM
USA, SE Wisconsin
Joined May 2009
2,375 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Hurd View Post
Using the location that Ken provided, I used that in the AVRDUDE location box. Now when I go to read or write to the tx, I get a window that says AVRDUDE didn't finish correctly and the read or write window saysouble check your connection or use -F to over-ride this check. Huh?
Thanks,
Frank
I would double check that you have a V2 board in your radio and clean the pads that the pogo pins touch and try again. Also verify that there is no movement if you push the smartieparts board down by the screws. You should push the board down and tighten the screw. Be careful not to strip them though.
crucial is offline Find More Posts by crucial
Old Dec 06, 2011, 05:03 PM
S.E.Michigan
Joined Jul 2010
2,240 Posts
Frank, I actually lightly scraped my pads with a narrow hobby blade to make lots of shiney scribe lines. It can come down to a 1/4 turn on the screws. You have to be brave to get them tight without stripping them. I did strip one of mine. Filled the hole up with epoxy and re-drilled it slighlty smaller than the screw.

The cleaning of the pads is critical, as both my radios came with boards that had some kind of residue from something on it. It was not even and consistent, it was thicker in some areas than others, and I don't think it was supposed to be like that.

P.
wheelspinner20 is offline Find More Posts by wheelspinner20
Old Dec 06, 2011, 05:07 PM
Just a yard bird
Las Vegas Nv.
Joined Mar 2007
1,826 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Hurd View Post
Thanks,
Frank
Well Frank
I had the same problem. And I did a double take on my factory board and I was broken hearted to find that my so call new verision V2 was only speaking for the factory firmware. The board was still the old V1. Better take a better gander at your board. solder pad for the V2 is the 6th leg. Mine was on the 9th.
Freddie G
kd4wen is offline Find More Posts by kd4wen
Old Dec 06, 2011, 09:44 PM
You can't take the sky from me
United States, WA, Richland
Joined May 2009
5,840 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by scott page View Post
Today I discovered a reason NOT us use a 2S battery with the 9x -- because an idiot like me might just plug the balance plug in rather than the correct plug (which is the same plug) -- thus letting out the smoke.

3S balance plug won't fit. From now on I'm going to protect myself from my stupidity and use 3S batteries with the 9x.
Tonight I decided to remove the smartieparts board from the brick. I looked to see if I cold find the BBQ component. Nothing (except the blackened plug) looked wrong. A bit more picking around and I discovered the negative pin on the power plug had vaporized. I soldered a Futaba servo extension to the circuit board, plugged in a LiPo and it worked! Apparently the pin served as a fuse -- this time. I'll use the Futaba plug from now on....
scott page is offline Find More Posts by scott page
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 06, 2011, 09:50 PM
S.E.Michigan
Joined Jul 2010
2,240 Posts
Thats good news scott, hey if you ever do any 9x coffee mugs, I would be interested.

Pat
Old Dec 07, 2011, 03:27 AM
Switzerland
Joined Jul 2010
345 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kd4wen View Post
Ok folks it is really time for me to upgrade my battery. And to make sure I am correct this battery does a good job and fits in the 9X battery compartment along with the Smartieparts Board USB port.

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...arehouse_.html

Am I correct before I buy more stuff that I cannot use in my still somewhat newbeeness.
Thanks to anyone that can let me know.
This one is also nice
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...idProduct=6955
eyesonsky is online now Find More Posts by eyesonsky
Old Dec 07, 2011, 04:01 AM
Just a yard bird
Las Vegas Nv.
Joined Mar 2007
1,826 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by eyesonsky View Post
Hey thats a good find.Thank you
Freddie G
kd4wen is offline Find More Posts by kd4wen
Old Dec 07, 2011, 04:07 AM
59 years of RC flying
Canada, ON, Ottawa
Joined Feb 2006
16,015 Posts
Turnigy 9x

Just got this from HK:

This is an email to let you know that a product from your WishList (Turnigy 9X 9Ch Transmitter w/ Module & 8ch Receiver (Mode 2) (v2 Firmware) ) has arrived.

The site still shows backorder but I assume that will change.
Daedalus66 is offline Find More Posts by Daedalus66
Old Dec 07, 2011, 10:29 AM
Joined May 2009
5,840 Posts
After growing weary of removing my battery cover every time I want to access the USB port I removed the charge plug (unsoldered from the PCB) and put the USB connection in it's place. I also soldered a Futaba servo extension to the PCB and hot glued it into place so I have a polarized plug for the power.

Just thought I'd share.
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 07, 2011, 11:45 PM
Nevada, USA
Joined Sep 2007
1,919 Posts
Nice mods Scott! I am really enjoying my ER9X with this board and just picked up 3 6ch rx from hobbypartz for 9$ ea. They are supposed to be the same as the HK 6ch v2 and should bind with the stock Turnigy module, I will find out.

http://www.hobbypartz.com/79p-r6b-receiver.html
capt is offline Find More Posts by capt
Last edited by capt; Dec 07, 2011 at 11:52 PM.
Old Dec 08, 2011, 07:59 AM
S.E.Michigan
Joined Jul 2010
2,240 Posts
no problem capt...they will bind... the 3 channel version works good also-while designed for cars they are great for small foamies. they dont have the coil built into antenna tho so they might have less range. although i have never scientificaly verified that. i use them on all my combat wings!
Old Dec 08, 2011, 08:40 AM
Joined May 2009
5,840 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by capt View Post
Nice mods Scott! I am really enjoying my ER9X with this board and just picked up 3 6ch rx from hobbypartz for 9$ ea. They are supposed to be the same as the HK 6ch v2 and should bind with the stock Turnigy module, I will find out.

http://www.hobbypartz.com/79p-r6b-receiver.html
Ya they work. I use
Hobby King GT-2 2.4Ghz Receiver 3Ch for $5.98 for my superfly's and other elevon wings.

and Hobby King 2.4Ghz Receiver 6Ch V2 for $8.98 for my mid sized planes.

Given that there is no guarantee of continued supply I stocked up on both. For the cost of two nice Futaba 7 Channel Rx I can buy 10 of these and put in a drawer until I might need them in the future. I see the 6 Channel is out of stock .. perhaps others had the same idea.
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 09, 2011, 04:30 AM
59 years of RC flying
Canada, ON, Ottawa
Joined Feb 2006
16,015 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daedalus66 View Post
Just got this from HK:

This is an email to let you know that a product from your WishList (Turnigy 9X 9Ch Transmitter w/ Module & 8ch Receiver (Mode 2) (v2 Firmware) ) has arrived.

The site still shows backorder but I assume that will change.
Well, it never did go to "in stock" on the website. But the status of my order changed from "back order" to "reserved". So obviously, they received a shipment but not enough to meet the outstanding orders.

Yet another demonstration that if you want something, the way to get it is just to accept the back order and be patient, not wait for it to come in stock.
Daedalus66 is offline Find More Posts by Daedalus66
Old Dec 10, 2011, 04:59 PM
Lipoly Killer
Gulfport/Biloxi Biloxi Reg, Mississippi, United States
Joined Dec 2000
1,503 Posts
Gentlemen....

I now have a ER9X!!!!! Here's what I did. I scraped the pc board of the tx with a single edge razor. I used my wife's emory board to burnish the smartieparts board's contacts. However, the best thing that I did was to put on my lighted magnifying lenses. You know what? I had plugged in the usb board wrong! I was able to see that the black wire was not making contact.
What a dummy!!!!
Again, I want to thank all those who patiently helped me and to Steven for making a quality product. This mod drove me nuts and the best description of what happened is an old quote from the comic strip: We have met the enemy and the enemy is us!
To those who may had the same problems as me, please follow the suggestions that were sent to me and the final fix from me. Make sure that you have a good USB port, download the driver as per Steven's instructions, download the eePe program, make sure that the smartiepart board is making connection and have at it. Boy, am I happy!
Frank
Frank Hurd is offline Find More Posts by Frank Hurd