HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 17, 2011, 01:18 AM
S.E.Michigan
Joined Jul 2010
2,240 Posts
Quote:
I have FRSKY DIY module with telemetry on order and when I install it will I need to re-flash with the FRSKY version...?
I know that usb chord is heavy, and always tangled, if you can find it, but yes, you will have to drag it out and make a couple mouse clicks. Drag I know, I have to do it too, to keep current with the latest revisions every 2 months... sucks for sure....

GO TIGERS A.L. Comedy Central Champs.!!!!!
wheelspinner20 is offline Find More Posts by wheelspinner20
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 18, 2011, 05:58 PM
Trollhattan, Sweden
Joined Aug 2004
14 Posts
Lights out... :(

Hi.

Does anyone know of any problem/fix on the smartieparts unit with the EL backlight not working after a while? I have the blue version and it worked just perfect when i first installed it, but now after just a few hours of using it, it does not light up anymore. I can barely see it glow if it's dark, so it seems
that it is working but there is almost no light. Is the EL panel worn out?
Soljutin is offline Find More Posts by Soljutin
Old Sep 18, 2011, 06:54 PM
Registered Loser
Canada, BC, Central Okanagan H
Joined Jun 2010
3,266 Posts
Open up the case... carefully connect a wire between GND and one of the two EL pins and briefly turn it on... does the light come on now?
s_mack is offline Find More Posts by s_mack
Old Sep 19, 2011, 09:59 AM
Australia, VIC, Hampton Park
Joined Feb 2011
788 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelspinner20 View Post
I know that usb chord is heavy, and always tangled, if you can find it, but yes, you will have to drag it out and make a couple mouse clicks. Drag I know, I have to do it too, to keep current with the latest revisions every 2 months... sucks for sure....

GO TIGERS A.L. Comedy Central Champs.!!!!!
I suspect this was probably an attempt at sarcasm but what I was asking was will this version work with the FrSky DIY telemetry or will I have to install the FrySky version...? I will not be using telemetry ATM...
Fugbucker is online now Find More Posts by Fugbucker
Old Sep 19, 2011, 10:08 AM
Naperville, IL
Joined Mar 2009
833 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fugbucker View Post
I suspect this was probably an attempt at sarcasm but what I was asking was will this version work with the FrSky DIY telemetry or will I have to install the FrySky version...? I will not be using telemetry ATM...
If you do the mod for the telemetry. Moving a couple of switch inputs to different pins on the main Tx board then yes you will need the frysky version, since it knows to look for the switches in a different spot and how to use the telemetry features. Otherwise if you are just using the Tx without mods then install the plain er9x version.
-Gohst
gohsthb is offline Find More Posts by gohsthb
Old Sep 19, 2011, 11:45 AM
Boca Raton FL
Joined Nov 2010
598 Posts
So this board isnt plug and play with a frsky telemetry module or DIY kit. Some soldering is still required?
razorseal is offline Find More Posts by razorseal
Old Sep 19, 2011, 12:01 PM
Naperville, IL
Joined Mar 2009
833 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by razorseal View Post
So this board isnt plug and play with a frsky telemetry module or DIY kit. Some soldering is still required?
yes but it is the frsky mod that requires the soldering.
gohsthb is offline Find More Posts by gohsthb
Old Sep 19, 2011, 12:02 PM
Boca Raton FL
Joined Nov 2010
598 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gohsthb View Post
yes but it is the frsky mod that requires the soldering.
I see
razorseal is offline Find More Posts by razorseal
Old Sep 19, 2011, 12:30 PM
Trollhattan, Sweden
Joined Aug 2004
14 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by s_mack View Post
Open up the case... carefully connect a wire between GND and one of the two EL pins and briefly turn it on... does the light come on now?
No i'm sorry, everything is like before. Any more suggestions?
Old Sep 19, 2011, 01:54 PM
Registered Loser
Joined Jun 2010
3,266 Posts
Ok, then its probably not what I thought it might be (ESD damaged EL driver chip).

Go through the EL troubleshooting guide to narrow down where the issue is (radio, programmer board, or EL panel)
Old Sep 19, 2011, 05:33 PM
S.E.Michigan
Joined Jul 2010
2,240 Posts
fugbucker. sorry for the humor yesyou will need the frsky version once the hardware mods are done.

p.
wheelspinner20 is offline Find More Posts by wheelspinner20
Last edited by wheelspinner20; Sep 19, 2011 at 07:52 PM.
Old Sep 19, 2011, 06:00 PM
Trollhattan, Sweden
Joined Aug 2004
14 Posts
Quote:
Ok, then its probably not what I thought it might be (ESD damaged EL driver chip).

Go through the EL troubleshooting guide to narrow down where the issue is (radio, programmer board, or EL panel)
Thank you for your great advises, and for the link to the troubleshooting guide.
I followed the guide and in test 2 i measured the AC volt between one of the EL pins and GND to only 49 volts (same on both pins), so i guess the board is broken. It does not matter so much as long as the firmware updating works, anyway i know now whats wrong.
Thank you for your help.
Old Sep 19, 2011, 08:06 PM
Registered Loser
Joined Jun 2010
3,266 Posts
That's a normal reading if the panel is connected. Abnormal if the panel is not connected.
Old Sep 20, 2011, 04:14 AM
Trollhattan, Sweden
Joined Aug 2004
14 Posts
Quote:
That's a normal reading if the panel is connected. Abnormal if the panel is not connected.
I understand, i tried to follow the guide exactly. I had the board taken out
and measured with the panel disconnected.
Old Sep 20, 2011, 09:11 AM
Australia, VIC, Hampton Park
Joined Feb 2011
788 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelspinner20 View Post
fugbucker. sorry for the humor yesyou will need the frsky version once the hardware mods are done.

p.
Thanks for that 'Wheels'... I can look forward to that mod when I get the present system sorted... Thanks to you as well 'Gohsthb' Good info...
Fugbucker is online now Find More Posts by Fugbucker