HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 13, 2011, 08:58 PM
Joined Jul 2009
699 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by s_mack View Post
Well, I didn't think you would CUT the wires!! No cutting necessary, really. Just lift the little tabs and pull the wires out. Too late now I suppose. Sorry I didn't clarify that first! Also sorry you're so frustrated... I didn't read frustration in your tone (you came across to me as being more determined to know the exact nature of the issue rather than wanting it resolved immediately). I only SUGGESTED that test because I told you what I thought the problem was (toasted EL driver chip), and you said what you thought it was (bad panel) and I gave you a test to determine that definitively one way or another.

Anyway, I already posted that no matter what the problem, a replacement would be forthcoming. It was my mistake that led to a high level of damaged EL chips in that batch of 200 boards. Believe me... I'm frustrated! And pissed off But mistakes happen. I own up to them, and I make it right. If you emailed me then you've either gotten a response or you're about to (having a new baby boy has lowered my response times from ~20 minutes to several hours)

- Steven

Edit: I have responded to your email and issued an RMA. And don't worry about the panel - I'm sending a complete kit for exchange.
I wish I knew I didn't have to cut the wires. I really appreciate your help and willingness to make things right. I am determined and frustrated, as I was hoping to be up and running learning the programming by now, however I understand there are setbacks with many things in life. I will send you the stuff I don't use as requested. Thanks
AirChime is offline Find More Posts by AirChime
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 13, 2011, 09:05 PM
2Vision-Air
Canada, QC, Blainville
Joined Aug 2009
2,203 Posts
Hey, i just finished flashing my brother brand new Flysky 9x, i took the board off mine (turnigy 9x) installed the board in his one, power it with the back of MY transmitter (the usb plug was too hard to slide out.. lol) flashed took 2 minutes, reinstalled the board inside mine so i keep the EL active, i installed my old EL inside my brother's tx.

so for the price of 1 unit, we have to flashed tx...

I really recommend to my brother to get one, but he wanted the tx flashed right away.

GET one, the TX is now fully programmable like it should be.

Thanks for great product, really profesional !
bakchos is online now Find More Posts by bakchos
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 13, 2011, 09:22 PM
Naperville, IL
Joined Mar 2009
833 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jam1e View Post
Hi folks,

I've fitted a Hobbyking LCD back light to my Turnigy 9X.
I've just left the TX on for 60 minutes to see how much battery consumption was used. It used 1.1 volts.
Not being an electronics man i have no idea if that is good or bad. And i didn't test consumption before fitting the back light!

I've since fully charged my 3s lipo and done the same test again. Then i've re-charged it to see how many mah were used. It used 397 mah in an hour!

I also want to fit an "in-line diode" to reduce the output voltage abit. I've since been sent 3 so thanks to Phil!
Have many of you folks also done this, and i presume it's worked fine
So with the hobbyking backlight your radio draws about 400mA/hr. With the EL panel and backlight board that S_mack sells the total draw is only 220mA/hr.
gohsthb is offline Find More Posts by gohsthb
Old Sep 13, 2011, 09:26 PM
S.E.Michigan
Joined Jul 2010
2,240 Posts
airchime. just so you know....you dont have to wait. im pretty sure you can install the board and flash the new firmware and take it back out if the only thing wrong is the light driver chip. that way you an play with the new hotness....just not in total darkness! ;-).
wheelspinner20 is offline Find More Posts by wheelspinner20
Old Sep 13, 2011, 09:34 PM
Naperville, IL
Joined Mar 2009
833 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelspinner20 View Post
airchime. just so you know....you dont have to wait. im pretty sure you can install the board and flash the new firmware and take it back out if the only thing wrong is the light driver chip. that way you an play with the new hotness....just not in total darkness! ;-).
Or it could be like s_mack said and likely both chips on the board got zapped.
Old Sep 13, 2011, 09:53 PM
Registered Loser
Canada, BC, Central Okanagan H
Joined Jun 2010
3,253 Posts
No no, I hope I didn't give that impression... wheel is right. There's next to no way the programmer chip is damaged because it has very good built-in ESD protection.. It'll work just fine without the EL. The only problem is the EL light won't function. So yes, you can certainly install the kit as it is and use it for 99% of its purpose (the EL was really only ever meant as a "bonus" - some folks may remember that when it was initially going to be just a programmer, the price was still $40). That's precisely why I let customers keep the faulty unit while I ship them a new one (and return the original after the replacement arrives)... so they can make good use of it in the meantime.

- Steven
s_mack is offline Find More Posts by s_mack
Old Sep 13, 2011, 09:55 PM
S.E.Michigan
Joined Jul 2010
2,240 Posts
Oh, thats a bummer, I did not see that he said that. Oh well.
Old Sep 14, 2011, 03:50 AM
Worcestershire, England
Joined Nov 2007
481 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelspinner20 View Post
Jam1e, did you intend to post that question in the Stock 9x thread??

This is not one of those snobby "dont post here" type responses, I don't take myself that seriously believe me.... but this thread is very specific to those who buy a programmer board that comes with a e.l. panel backlight controlled by that specific add on board and by the custom firmware that the board is used to install on the TX.!

In otherwords, most here would say, "why did you do that????" (meant in a humorous way) There are some electronics experts that pop in here, and will probably have read that mod on another thread somewhere, thats how it always works.

When you are ready to dump the clunky stock firmware, and upgrade to the custom stuff, you will want to come back to this thread for help with the solderless board and light that comes with it for $40. And by the way, the el backlight sucks way less power than the HK l.e.d. one, and you can turn it on and off in about 50 different ways! Including automatically.! All without drilling a hole in the case and adding a seperate switch!!!

Pat
Thanks for the reply Pat.
I was advised to put it here
As you mentioned it, yes i'm in the process of geting sorted to upgrade the firmware.
I've purchased this below and just waiting for the idc header and attached wiring to arrive so i can start soldering to the pcb
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/AVR-USBASP...item4aaa323f6d
Jam1e is offline Find More Posts by Jam1e
Old Sep 14, 2011, 06:46 AM
Naperville, IL
Joined Mar 2009
833 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jam1e View Post
Thanks for the reply Pat.
I was advised to put it here
As you mentioned it, yes i'm in the process of geting sorted to upgrade the firmware.
I've purchased this below and just waiting for the idc header and attached wiring to arrive so i can start soldering to the pcb
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/AVR-USBASP...item4aaa323f6d
You were given bad advise. This would be the correct forum for you http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1266162 This forum is for people who bought s_mack's board and want assistance or to compliment him.
-Gohst
Old Sep 14, 2011, 02:37 PM
Worcestershire, England
Joined Nov 2007
481 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gohsthb View Post
You were given bad advise. This would be the correct forum for you http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1266162 This forum is for people who bought s_mack's board and want assistance or to compliment him.
-Gohst
Mis-read your post. Cheers
Jam1e is offline Find More Posts by Jam1e
Old Sep 14, 2011, 03:35 PM
S.E.Michigan
Joined Jul 2010
2,240 Posts
just curious jam1e...are you the type that likes the micro soldering stuff...? must be. but how long will it take you to solder all ends plugs etc....just curious if its more than 30 minutes to me the $40 is worth it. of course you already have a light so that factors in.
Old Sep 14, 2011, 08:28 PM
|Taranis|>|All other Tx's|
United States, WA, Richland
Joined May 2009
6,750 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AirChime View Post
I wish I knew I didn't have to cut the wires. I really appreciate your help and willingness to make things right. I am determined and frustrated, as I was hoping to be up and running learning the programming by now, however I understand there are setbacks with many things in life. I will send you the stuff I don't use as requested. Thanks
Download eePe and starting programming to your hearts content. the menus are laid out basically the same -- and everything you do with eePe you can upload to the TX.

That's the advice I wished I'd gotten when I waited for the first SmartieParts board -- learn eePe in the meantime. then when it's time to flash the TX there is much less to learn all at once.
scott page is offline Find More Posts by scott page
Old Sep 15, 2011, 12:50 AM
Registered Loser
Canada, BC, Central Okanagan H
Joined Jun 2010
3,253 Posts
Good call scott... its so second nature to many of the people that use it that they forget that its such an awesome feature for new people!
s_mack is offline Find More Posts by s_mack
Old Sep 17, 2011, 12:14 AM
|Taranis|>|All other Tx's|
United States, WA, Richland
Joined May 2009
6,750 Posts
Great packaging

Steven,

My two new boards arrived yesterday.
I need to give a thumbs up on the new packaging of the board. The anti-static bag with zip lock top is stellar. I had one moment of panic, when I only found three screws and spacers... the other screw and spacer were attached to the adhesive in the protective tape over the EL pins.

The installation this time was only 10 minutes, and I didn't even breath heavy or sweat profusely.
I'm setting up one from Leader that has a more easily removable module for simulator use. This way I can test ideas before I employ them. Like... I set up a mix on a 3 channel pylon racing wing so when I touch rudder (which is otherwise useless) I get immediate 100% up elevator -- this should allow quicker rolls around the poll without the pitchiness coming the rest of the time. Works great on sim - but required quite a bit of refinement . I'll test it for real soon as we're having a SuperFly full contact pylon race the 7-9 of October. :-)

Great stuff. I'm thinking I should be selling the TX's after I get them ready roll with er9x because many people are just as fearful of cracking the TX case as I was.
scott page is offline Find More Posts by scott page
Old Sep 17, 2011, 01:14 AM
Australia, VIC, Hampton Park
Joined Feb 2011
753 Posts
Received board a few days ago Steven, thanks... Installation was straight forward with no probs... ER9x installed and working fine... Have a query about which FW to flash... I have FRSKY DIY module with telemetry on order and when I install it will I need to re-flash with the FRSKY version...?
Fugbucker is offline Find More Posts by Fugbucker