HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 16, 2011, 10:10 PM
Naperville, IL
Joined Mar 2009
833 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by s_mack View Post
Again, I'll try to get Mr. Gates on the phone...
Mr Gates retired several years ago, you will have to call someone else.
gohsthb is offline Find More Posts by gohsthb
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 17, 2011, 12:56 AM
|Taranis|>|All other Tx's|
United States, WA, Richland
Joined May 2009
6,779 Posts
The Microsoft way did not work. I made the mistake of assuming it would work, but it didn't. I was not POSITIVE I had the correct driver.

The soundforge link didn't list a win64... all that was listed was Download libusb-win32-bin-1.2.5.0.zip (913.8 KB) No indication at all if it would work for 64 bit system or windows7 for that matter.

The post you referenced says, "For Win 32-bit, the official drivers are the ones to use" This does not address my situation having 64 bit OS.

Why it didn't work when I uninstalled the device and then did an update driver and choose "search automatically". It was not until I decided the automagic wasn't and simply did a manual search and install that things went from sour to sweet.

Can't say why the automagic didn't work -- and it's not worth the time to diagnose the situation. I'm pretty good at that .... My stable has about 50 or so computers and half dozen servers for my 9-5. Also have a dozen or so I manage privately. I've been doing that for 26 years so I'm not really wet behind the ears. (Ya remember when a 128 K computer cost $2500).

Anyway. I'm fat and happy with my SmartiePARTs program boards and ER9x. My biggest problem now is the guys at out field won't listen to me try to tell them about the cool new idea I had for mixing with the er9x. They are like.... I tried to do a mix once with my spectrum/futaba/airtronics.. and I did something wrong so I ended up crashing. Or .. do you have to have a computer for this to work?

@Steve only -- second board arrived today. Install went quick -- except I could not find 2 of the standoffs. I used servo grommets. //// try that /// -- it worked great----they didn't tend slide like the nylon standoffs do. HEY I said that was for Steve ONLY!! Don't anybody else try using the servo grommets (the rubber part -- not the brass. )
scott page is offline Find More Posts by scott page
Old Aug 17, 2011, 01:17 AM
Registered Loser
Canada, BC, Central Okanagan H
Joined Jun 2010
3,266 Posts
Huh... how about that. Never thought of a flexible standoff.

The drivers in my post mentioned above is supposed to work with all versions of Windows, yes including Win 7 x64. It is a 32 bit software package (hence the name) but so is 90% of the software you install on your 64 bit system... the OS figures it out.

Confusion abounded with previous versions of the driver package, which was unsigned... so 64-bit win 7 and Vista complained about it and required a work around... but this package should work (and many have confirmed it does).

General Win 7 tip: if something doesn't seem to work how you think it should, try right clicking on it and running it as Administrator instead.

- Steven
s_mack is offline Find More Posts by s_mack
Old Aug 17, 2011, 10:18 AM
S.E.Michigan
Joined Jul 2010
2,240 Posts
sott.... i take it you havnt shown the guys at the field the eepe utility with the simulator yet ey? it will take a while they will come around....

p.
wheelspinner20 is offline Find More Posts by wheelspinner20
Old Aug 17, 2011, 11:31 AM
|Taranis|>|All other Tx's|
United States, WA, Richland
Joined May 2009
6,779 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelspinner20 View Post
sott.... i take it you havnt shown the guys at the field the eepe utility with the simulator yet ey? it will take a while they will come around....

p.
Told them yes. Shown, no. However I'm hosting the next club meeting and you can bet that I'll be playing with it on my 55" TV as they arrive.
scott page is offline Find More Posts by scott page
Old Aug 17, 2011, 04:46 PM
Entropy is happening!
Australia, NSW, Bellingen
Joined Aug 2008
7,346 Posts
Dumb question.

What is "32 bit" and "64 bit" please? Dumb question I know.

Jim.
Jim.Thompson is online now Find More Posts by Jim.Thompson
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Gravity hot wire foam cutter.
Old Aug 17, 2011, 05:29 PM
Registered Loser
Joined Jun 2010
3,266 Posts
The best analogy I know of is thinking of it like streets. The Mhz of your computer is how fast cars drive down the lanes. The "bus" system (how many "bits") is how many lanes there are. So a 64 bit system has more lanes than a 32 bit system, and can therefore process more data at a given speed - in theory anyway. But "system" is a key concept here. Computer hardware has been 64-bit for quite some time now, but that's just one part of the system. Until recently the operating systems (Windows) were 32-bit and all the software that ran on it were too. There still is relatively few 64-bit software, so there's not a whole lot of reason to use a 64-bit operating system. But 64 is a higher number than 32, so lay people assume its better so more and more computers are sold with the 64-bit version by default. At some point in the future, there will be a point to it... but right now its just a pain in the ass for most situations. 64-bit systems can run 32-bit software but not the other way round. 99% of the software normal people use is 32-bit only. 32-bit operating systems run 32-bit software faster than 64-bit operating systems run 32-bit software. So really, for now anyway, I recommend (if you have a choice) going with 32-bit. If, however, you have Win 7 64-bit... keep an eye out when downloading software and choose the x64 (64 bit) version if there is one.

Anyway, I imagine all drivers are 32-bit and certainly the usbasp is. It will work on a 64-bit system without issue. Several months ago (before November '10 I think?) the driver was "unsigned" (they didn't pay Microsoft $$$ to make it official) and 64-bit Windows requires signed drivers. IMHO... signing is just a cash grab. Moot point now for usbasp, as it is now signed.

- Steven

ps. I am by no means an expert on any of this... so I stand corrected if anyone feels like correcting
Old Aug 18, 2011, 07:50 PM
Joined Nov 2006
2,121 Posts
anyone know if the board can be installed on MAC? i friend just asked me

i read at usbasp web it can be used under MAC; but... the procedure is the same as with ubuntu?
wallaguest1 is offline Find More Posts by wallaguest1
Last edited by wallaguest1; Aug 18, 2011 at 07:58 PM.
Old Aug 18, 2011, 10:39 PM
S.E.Michigan
Joined Jul 2010
2,240 Posts
Quote:
anyone know if the board can be installed on MAC? i friend just asked me
Walla, Groots reference was in humor i think. He uses a mac. I think steven does too, not sure about that tho.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...&postcount=594
wheelspinner20 is offline Find More Posts by wheelspinner20
Old Aug 19, 2011, 01:09 AM
Registered Loser
Joined Jun 2010
3,266 Posts
Noooo... I sat down at a Mac once, and it kicked dirt in my face, stepped on my big toe, and said nasty things about my Momma before I left the room crying.
Old Aug 19, 2011, 08:34 AM
Joined Nov 2006
2,121 Posts
an user contacted me and i want give him support, but i am unable to find the problem
windows not recognize the board to the user computer (it says: "unknown device")
he says board is correctly installed, dont appears damaged and he tried changing usb port and also usb cable,

any idea about how to solve it?
Last edited by wallaguest1; Aug 19, 2011 at 03:28 PM.
Old Aug 19, 2011, 08:43 AM
I don't speak German ....Yet !
Germany, Baden-Württemberg, Weissach im Tal
Joined Dec 2010
774 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelspinner20 View Post
Walla, Groots reference was in humor i think. He uses a mac. I think steven does too, not sure about that tho.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...&postcount=594
yes it works on mac, instructions (for getting eepe working) was added to my page. I will shortly also add how to get avrdude working. Actually I use a hacintosh and a mac.
GrootWitBaas is offline Find More Posts by GrootWitBaas
Old Aug 19, 2011, 11:11 AM
Registered Loser
Joined Jun 2010
3,266 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wallaguest1 View Post
an user contacted me and i want give him support, but i am unable to find the problem
at the left, an image on how it looks like in my computer.
and at the right an image on how windows recognize the board to the user computer (it says: "unknown device")
he is unable to install the drivers, because looks like windows dont recognize the board,
he says board is correctly installed, dont appears damaged and he tried changing usb port and also usb cable,

any idea about how to solve it?
Tell him to follow the drivers instructions carefully. I re-posted them here: http://www.smartieparts.com/shop/ind...age=page&id=12

It is *possible* an "unknown device" can be a faulty unit, but that's pretty darned rare. I test each and every one to make sure it is recognized properly by Windows before shipping. Unlike the EL system, which sometimes gets damaged by ESD (which baffled the crap out of me until Brent clued me in recently), the Atmel chip is protected so it is pretty unlikely that it would test OK here and not be OK later. Although, a damaged USB wire can also result in the same if one of the two middle wires isn't connected properly.

Hope that helps.

- Steven
Old Aug 19, 2011, 03:13 PM
Joined Nov 2006
2,121 Posts
solved,
looks like some cable was not making good connection
Old Aug 19, 2011, 04:20 PM
United States, NJ
Joined Jun 2004
1,746 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrootWitBaas View Post
yes it works on mac, instructions (for getting eepe working) was added to my page. I will shortly also add how to get avrdude working. Actually I use a hacintosh and a mac.
Instructions for getting eePe will shortly be COPIED from your page to the eePe page
erazz is offline Find More Posts by erazz