HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 19, 2010, 07:02 PM
Registered Loser
Canada, BC, Central Okanagan H
Joined Jun 2010
3,266 Posts
I've got some quote requests out... so far though, the ones that have responded have been insane! I got a quote of $6400 and $4900 for 500 units. Yeah right!

Attached is my version.

- Steven

ps. losikid -not sure I follow. First, I'm not sure how that will really protect it. Second, what if it sticks to the pins?
s_mack is offline Find More Posts by s_mack
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 28, 2010, 10:03 AM
Belgique, Région Wallonne, Sivry
Joined Mar 2009
9 Posts
Hello,
A little question for Erazz.
If I buy the kit of Smartieparts, is the radio setup (light switch and light off after x)
of the firmware erx9 r265 work ???
In advance thank you for you answer.

Greetings

Claude
radiocloclo is offline Find More Posts by radiocloclo
Old Nov 28, 2010, 07:01 PM
Naperville, IL
Joined Mar 2009
833 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by radiocloclo View Post
Hello,
A little question for Erazz.
If I buy the kit of Smartieparts, is the radio setup (light switch and light off after x)
of the firmware erx9 r265 work ???
In advance thank you for you answer.

Greetings

Claude
Yes, you can even select the switch you want to use.
gohsthb is offline Find More Posts by gohsthb
Old Nov 29, 2010, 09:55 AM
Joined Sep 2009
391 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by s_mack View Post
I've got some quote requests out... so far though, the ones that have responded have been insane! I got a quote of $6400 and $4900 for 500 units. Yeah right!

Attached is my version.

- Steven

ps. losikid -not sure I follow. First, I'm not sure how that will really protect it. Second, what if it sticks to the pins?

Not sure exactly what its called but there is a thin clear plastic sheet and if you take a heat gun to it it will kinda form over the piece, and dependent on how complicated you may need to make a mold and add vacum spots. But just about all new stuff has this type of packaging. I'll try and figure out what its called.

You may need to make a clay mold and roast it. and use that to make the plastic holders
losikid is offline Find More Posts by losikid
Old Nov 29, 2010, 10:02 AM
Joined Sep 2009
391 Posts
something like this, just one side though

http://www.assemblies.com/clamshell-packaging
Old Nov 29, 2010, 02:00 PM
Registered Loser
Joined Jun 2010
3,266 Posts
Ahh yes, I am familiar with that. For my last project (an aftermarket cruise control) we had vacuum formed plastic trays made. However, it was just to keep things from moving in a box - in this case, I'm trying to avoid the use of a box! Also, in that case we had 1000 made and it was the BARE minimum quantity... even then, it cost us > $5 per unit to produce. That was OK since it was a $500 product.

At the beginning, I think I'm going to use a mix of ideas: I'll send some out in boxes with bubble wrap - simple and cheap, but postage costs are higher; I'll send some out with stiff foam protecting the pins and stuffed in a bubble envelope - cheap and postage costs are lower, but more time/effort on my end; I'll try some wrapped in soft foam - simple, cheap, and low postage... but perhaps not protected enough.

- Steven
Old Nov 29, 2010, 08:42 PM
Joined Sep 2009
391 Posts
Quote:
Ahh yes, I am familiar with that. For my last project (an aftermarket cruise control) we had vacuum formed plastic trays made. However, it was just to keep things from moving in a box - in this case, I'm trying to avoid the use of a box! Also, in that case we had 1000 made and it was the BARE minimum quantity... even then, it cost us > $5 per unit to produce. That was OK since it was a $500 product.

At the beginning, I think I'm going to use a mix of ideas: I'll send some out in boxes with bubble wrap - simple and cheap, but postage costs are higher; I'll send some out with stiff foam protecting the pins and stuffed in a bubble envelope - cheap and postage costs are lower, but more time/effort on my end; I'll try some wrapped in soft foam - simple, cheap, and low postage... but perhaps not protected enough.

- Steven
Ok i wasn't sure on price an all, i've seen somewhere about people doing it themselves probably more expensive. But i figured if you have one that when rested on the main board and had pockets in it to fit the pins that should protect them i would think, and it would add 1/8 of an inch of thickness to the envelope.
Old Nov 30, 2010, 09:14 AM
Up, down and all around
Wisconsin
Joined Mar 2006
65 Posts
Sorry if this has been stated already but does this add-on board give you the ability to use LiPo batteries in the TX without modification? That would be pretty spiff.
technician is offline Find More Posts by technician
Old Nov 30, 2010, 09:40 AM
Joined Sep 2009
391 Posts
It will allow for a new firmware, which will allow you to change the low voltage alarm.
Old Nov 30, 2010, 12:18 PM
Registered Loser
Joined Jun 2010
3,266 Posts
Yeah, you can use LiPo batteries in the 9x TX without any modifications at all anyway. A 3S lipo is well over the stock FW's battery alarm level anyway. The only need for physical modification is if you want to use 2S lipo and the stock FW - then you need to do a resistor mod to fool the TX's voltage meter. Better yet, get the custom firmware and change the alarm level (since the TX will happily work well below whatever the stock alarm was set to). As losikid says, my board includes a programmer which allows you to use custom firmware, such as the er9x project. So indirectly, the answer to your question is "yes"... but if that's all you're wanting, then it by no means is necessary.

- Steven
Old Nov 30, 2010, 12:32 PM
United States, NJ
Joined Jun 2004
1,746 Posts
Funnily enough that was my original reason for using the custom FW.
erazz is offline Find More Posts by erazz
Old Nov 30, 2010, 12:41 PM
Up, down and all around
Wisconsin
Joined Mar 2006
65 Posts
Thanks guys, looks like I'll be ordering a kit once the TX arrives from HK.
technician is offline Find More Posts by technician
Old Nov 30, 2010, 12:51 PM
Registered Loser
Joined Jun 2010
3,266 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by erazz View Post
Funnily enough that was my original reason for using the custom FW.
Mine too... along with hating how it said "MODE1" and then getting extremely frustrated in my attempt to switch my Mode 1 TX to Mode 2. I'd go through all the procedures only to have it still say, "MODE1". I was pulling my hair out until I realized it was a damned typo and it meant "MODEL1"
Old Dec 03, 2010, 09:48 AM
Joined Mar 2004
224 Posts
Quote:

Attached is my version.

- Steven

why don't you just use Jiffy bags. you can still wrap the kit in bubble wrap and put it all in a jiffy bag. They are cheap to buy in bulk..
Mike..
hooleydog is offline Find More Posts by hooleydog
Old Dec 03, 2010, 02:36 PM
Registered Loser
Joined Jun 2010
3,266 Posts
It has to be under 2cm thick. I'm not sure what a jiffy bag is, but if I wrap it in bubble wrap, it quickly gets over 2cm.