HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 07, 2011, 03:10 AM
Joined Jan 2011
98 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by knutek View Post
I have some other folks in my street that has ordered your super-board. When will they expect to have a radio like mine?
Extract from the webshop :

Update (June 29, 2011): OK, that didn't take long! We're already 3 units backordered and its only the first day after the batch arrived. I very much planned on being caught up by now, but that Canada Post strike really messed things up! Sadly, it will probably be about a month before the next batch arrives because now there is a problem with component availability. I don't have an exact ETA. As always, thank you for your patience!
Orphee is offline Find More Posts by Orphee
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 07, 2011, 12:34 PM
Registered Loser
Canada, BC, Central Okanagan H
Joined Jun 2010
3,251 Posts
Thanks Orphee.

The "best guess" ETA I've been given is "end of July". My plan really was to have stock on hand by the end of May, so nobody had to wait during the prime flying season... but so much for that. Demand was much higher than I expected, and there have been several problems (the strike, component availability, and most recently - a small but important mistake by the PCB manufacturer).

- Steven
s_mack is offline Find More Posts by s_mack
Old Jul 07, 2011, 04:43 PM
Entropy is happening!
Bellingen NSW Australia
Joined Aug 2008
6,716 Posts
Delivery

I finally received my backlight which was omitted from my order of many weeks ago.
I can now fit it to the tx. When I find the time that is.

Thanks Steven!

Jim.
Jim.Thompson is offline Find More Posts by Jim.Thompson
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Yet another light plank!
Old Jul 07, 2011, 05:17 PM
Registered Loser
Joined Jun 2010
3,251 Posts
You're welcome Jim. I'm still not sure how I managed to screw that up.

You weren't the only one either. Out of the batch of ~95... there were SIX complaints that I forgot to include the EL panel!! Its embarrassing While I'd love to blame it on someone else...

wait, yeah, that's it! It was... umm... let's go with "Tom". It was Tom's fault!

Tom's since been fired.

- Steven
Old Jul 09, 2011, 01:19 AM
Entropy is happening!
Bellingen NSW Australia
Joined Aug 2008
6,716 Posts
User's guide

I have begun trying to set up a simple 2 axis glider in my ER programmed tx. I am not doing any good at all with. Well, I did manage to get a 2 channel chevron wing programmed to flying stage, but on the second one, I am totally lost. The manual, which is called more appropriately, a "guide" is not much help. It seems to be written for people who have prior knowledge of their way around the tx. set up. I don't.

When I choose a channel order like RETA in the "Templates" window, it does not seem to apply. Because then when I get to mixes, the mixes come up in a different order. When I try and change them, the templates entry changes back to something else! There is something very basic that I don't know and the manual, sorry- "guide" - does nothing to help. Should I be doing a save operation after each entry?
At one stage I did get two channels to work, but I made the mistake of plugging a third servo into the rx. to power spoilers and lost control of the elevator servo. The entries on the tx. window all appeared the same.
I found I was going around in circles, and reduced to trying to shuffle around the plugs on the rx. to see which channels were being powered up. The channels that were working appeared to have little relation to the indicated ones on the set up.

Can someone please help here?

Thankfully, I still have 2 reliable, and relatively simple old Futaba 8U tx's to go flying with tomorrow. I was hoping to one day set up a full house glider with camber, reflex and crow etc. on the 9x. with the eR software.
Pipe dreams, I am now thinking.

Jim.

p.s. Is the standard software more "user friendly"?
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Jim.Thompson; Jul 09, 2011 at 01:21 AM. Reason: grammar
Old Jul 09, 2011, 02:09 PM
Registered Loser
Joined Jun 2010
3,251 Posts
Hi Jim... I see you also posted in the firmware thead, and that is the appropriate place for your question, not here. This is for help regarding the add-on board itself. Evidenced by the fact you successfully used the add-on board to flash new firmware, it is clear that your issue is with the firmware, not the add-on board.

But some general advice: open your mind to the new way of doing things... you'll love it eventually! The Er9x firmware is so many magnitudes better than the original, that you really shouldn't even be thinking about using the original. Is it more "user friendly"? perhaps... but its also crap. You can do so much more with er9x... you just have to wrap your head around it. Anyway, continue to ask for advice on that other thread. They've already responded to you many times. Its a very busy thread so you can get lost if you don't check back often... but they are VERY helpful. Don't worry... you'll get it. And you'll love it.

- Steven
Old Jul 09, 2011, 03:53 PM
Entropy is happening!
Bellingen NSW Australia
Joined Aug 2008
6,716 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by s_mack View Post
Hi Jim... I see you also posted in the firmware thead, and that is the appropriate place for your question, not here. This is for help regarding the add-on board itself. Evidenced by the fact you successfully used the add-on board to flash new firmware, it is clear that your issue is with the firmware, not the add-on board.

But some general advice: open your mind to the new way of doing things... you'll love it eventually! The Er9x firmware is so many magnitudes better than the original, that you really shouldn't even be thinking about using the original. Is it more "user friendly"? perhaps... but its also crap. You can do so much more with er9x... you just have to wrap your head around it. Anyway, continue to ask for advice on that other thread. They've already responded to you many times. Its a very busy thread so you can get lost if you don't check back often... but they are VERY helpful. Don't worry... you'll get it. And you'll love it.

- Steven
You are right Steven, it is a software/firmware problem I have not a hardware problem. Actually, I am hoping it is neither and is actually an operator (me) problem! Apologies for posting on this thread instead of the other one.

And thanks for the encouragement. Your appraisal above echoes many that I have read, if not all. I hope that I can soon join the "chorus" of fans for the software. I'll go over to the other thread.

Jim.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 09, 2011, 04:11 PM
S.E.Michigan
Joined Jul 2010
2,240 Posts
Some have posted that even when it is installed properly and working properly, the el backlight is not bright enough. This was my FIRST impression also, but having just recently installed good lights on my Polaris, and flown at a field where there in NO ambient light, I must say that the backligt is perfect, its bright enough to clearly make changes and check timers, and trim positions, and model changes. And it is not TOO BRIGHT to diminish the improved night vision that one gets as their eyes adjust to the relative darkness.

I am more than pleased with the product, and will be purchasing another soon for a 2nd 9x radio.!

Pat
wheelspinner20 is offline Find More Posts by wheelspinner20
Old Jul 10, 2011, 08:44 PM
Entropy is happening!
Bellingen NSW Australia
Joined Aug 2008
6,716 Posts
Backlight not working.

I finally installed my backlight. It doesn't work! I pulled it out and turned it around and tried thinking I must have interpreted the instructions incorrectly, but it still doesn't light up.

I might live without it. This is taking up too much valuable building time!

Jim.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 10, 2011, 08:54 PM
Registered Loser
Joined Jun 2010
3,251 Posts
EL troubleshooting tips are here: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1432042

- Steven
Old Jul 11, 2011, 07:39 PM
Entropy is happening!
Bellingen NSW Australia
Joined Aug 2008
6,716 Posts
stubborness

I made one final (stubborn) attempt at getting the backlight working successfully! I am guessing it would have been a poor pogo connection. My tx. came with several stripped screws including two of the ones holding the add-on board in place. I found replacement screws that hold for the main case, but have not yet found 2 for the board. This was likely the problem, and may be again.

So at long last, my ER9x with backlight is all functional! Thanks to all.
Jim.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 12, 2011, 04:41 AM
Belgium, Flemish Region, Oosterzele
Joined Dec 2001
5,455 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbello View Post
So at long last, my ER9x with backlight is all functional!
Jim.
I wish I could be so lucky. Mine still refuses to function...
WimH is offline Find More Posts by WimH
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: That elusive thermal...
Old Jul 12, 2011, 05:07 AM
I don't speak German ....Yet !
Germany, Baden-Württemberg, Weissach im Tal
Joined Dec 2010
774 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by WimH View Post
I wish I could be so lucky. Mine still refuses to function...
Maybe I can help / Assist you to get it working ?
GrootWitBaas is offline Find More Posts by GrootWitBaas
Old Jul 12, 2011, 07:11 AM
Belgium, Flemish Region, Oosterzele
Joined Dec 2001
5,455 Posts
I'm almost sure it's a bad contact from the pogo pin. Just not sure what to do next to try and improve,I'll probably unscrew the whole board again and try putting it back "better". But I already did that several times and now I'm afraid to loose the flashing functionality (took me 3 tries already to get that working).
On the positive side, I've found a "solution" for the intermittent aileron non-functionality, but that has nothing to do with the board. After the flying season I'll see to the back-light with my "electronic friend".
WimH is offline Find More Posts by WimH
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: That elusive thermal...
Old Jul 12, 2011, 07:58 AM
I don't speak German ....Yet !
Germany, Baden-Württemberg, Weissach im Tal
Joined Dec 2010
774 Posts
Ok, If you need help feel free to ask. Cleaning the pads helps, some boards have a coating on some of those pads. Most of the points is covered in Stevens guide on the backlight (linked above in his post)
GrootWitBaas is offline Find More Posts by GrootWitBaas