HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 11, 2011, 11:57 PM
Entropy Happens!
Bellingen NSW Australia
Joined Aug 2008
6,085 Posts
I have just fitted my add-on board without the backlight, only because I did not receive one!

I have a small problem with the connecting of the USB cable extension to the add-on board. In the pictures on page one, it appears as though the red wire is towards the bottom. The only way I could get mine to fit in that direction would be to cutt off the two surplus female sockets on the black plug. The plug can go in either way, leading to polarity confusion.

If I plug it in the other way, the red wire is not connected, as it coincides with the vacant space (ie. no pin in that spot).

Help required please!

Jim.
Jim.Thompson is offline Find More Posts by Jim.Thompson
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Jim.Thompson; Jun 11, 2011 at 11:57 PM. Reason: spelling
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 12, 2011, 12:36 AM
Registered Loser
Canada, BC, Central Okanagan H
Joined Jun 2010
3,224 Posts
on business trip & writing from phone so excuse my brevity.

re missing panel: oops contact me thru smartieparts.com website w/ your order# or full name.

re usb: go back to product page find link to install instructions... read. All explained there. no cutting required. this review was based on prototype only
s_mack is offline Find More Posts by s_mack
Old Jun 12, 2011, 12:53 AM
Entropy Happens!
Bellingen NSW Australia
Joined Aug 2008
6,085 Posts
Not clear? Still need help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by s_mack View Post
.................................................. ...............re usb: go back to product page find link to install instructions... read. All explained there. no cutting required. this review was based on prototype only
Is the "product page" that you refer to above page 1 of this thread?
I have read that, and it does not give a good picture of which way the plug goes on. It can go on several different ways, which is a bit of a worry.
I don't want to just try it out, as it will powered by the USB drive. Might just not work, but also might power up with the wrong polarity.

I appreciate, that it is clear to you! But it is not to me.

Unless I am looking on the wrong page..... always possible.

Jim.

I have just found the polarity markings in post #77 by "eraz". It seems that the lower pin (marked with a triangle on my add-on board) is positive. I will either have to cut off excess sockets on my plug or remove the board, plug it on the board and re-install. A simple old fashioned polarised plug would avoid this ambiguity.
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Jim.Thompson; Jun 12, 2011 at 01:07 AM. Reason: additional information
Old Jun 12, 2011, 02:02 AM
Entropy Happens!
Bellingen NSW Australia
Joined Aug 2008
6,085 Posts
Further problems

I think I have the hardware installed correctly now, less the backlight.

I went to download the driver as per instructions on page 1 and I could not open the webpage.

What do I need to do to access the page? Or to obtain the driver from somewhere else?

Jim.
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Another foam plank build...
Old Jun 12, 2011, 02:39 AM
Entropy Happens!
Bellingen NSW Australia
Joined Aug 2008
6,085 Posts
I think I have partly succeeded. I managed to download the file. However, when I go to flash it to the tx., it goes through the proceedure as described in the U-tube video, but will not flash and shows a "AVR.dude" did not finish, or something similar.

What do I do? And which wire(s) do I disconnect to get rid of that annoying beep?

Jim.
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Jim.Thompson; Jun 12, 2011 at 02:40 AM. Reason: additional information
Old Jun 12, 2011, 03:39 AM
Joined Apr 2010
563 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbello View Post
I think I have partly succeeded. I managed to download the file. However, when I go to flash it to the tx., it goes through the proceedure as described in the U-tube video, but will not flash and shows a "AVR.dude" did not finish, or something similar.
I had the same, and it was because some drivers were missing. Try running avrdude.exe from a command prompt and see what error message you get.

In my case I was missing the "USBLIB" drivers.
aesmith is offline Find More Posts by aesmith
Old Jun 12, 2011, 03:43 AM
Entropy Happens!
Bellingen NSW Australia
Joined Aug 2008
6,085 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by aesmith View Post
I had the same, and it was because some drivers were missing. Try running avrdude.exe from a command prompt and see what error message you get.

In my case I was missing the "USBLIB" drivers.
That might be the problem. I am not sure I downloaded any drivers. How should I do that? I could not open the website listed on page 1 of this site.

Jim.
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Another foam plank build...
Old Jun 12, 2011, 05:17 AM
Joined Apr 2010
563 Posts
When I said "USBLIB" I should have said "LibUSB". Download from here, and don't worry that it just says 32 bit on the project page. The zip file has both 32 and 64 bit versions.

http://sourceforge.net/projects/libusb-win32/files/

If you just plug the programmer into a USB port, and look at Device Manager, is it recognised? If not, you probably need the usbasp drivers.
Old Jun 12, 2011, 05:57 AM
I don't speak German ....Yet !
Germany, Baden-Württemberg, Weissach im Tal
Joined Dec 2010
774 Posts
maybe a bit late but the "product page" is here and the install instructions is liked from there.
USB drivers are here

Groot

Edit to reply below:
I was thinking that is why you did not link them, and that is why I did it, because I know the feeling when on the road.
GrootWitBaas is offline Find More Posts by GrootWitBaas
Last edited by GrootWitBaas; Jun 12, 2011 at 07:53 AM.
Old Jun 12, 2011, 07:41 AM
Registered Loser
Canada, BC, Central Okanagan H
Joined Jun 2010
3,224 Posts
product page = page where you bought it from

sorry but the device i'm using to type (again, i'm on the road) is difficult to put in links.
s_mack is offline Find More Posts by s_mack
Old Jun 12, 2011, 08:38 AM
Joined Apr 2010
563 Posts
Link to USBasp drivers ...

http://www.fischl.de/usbasp/
Old Jun 12, 2011, 09:33 AM
joey1117
Dayton Intl, Ohio, United States
Joined Sep 2004
323 Posts
futaba 9z owners good news

I have been following this thread because I wanted to ad a back light to my futaba 9z after talking with Steven from smartieparts.com I got the right driver from him (thanks for the el panels) really nice guy if anyone wants to read the mini how to on this just follow the link lots of pics on how to do this hope it helps the next guy as this was a really big job the first go around but if there would have been something on it maybe it would have been easier here you go and thanks again
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...2#post18482513
joey1117 is offline Find More Posts by joey1117
Old Jun 13, 2011, 12:44 AM
Entropy Happens!
Bellingen NSW Australia
Joined Aug 2008
6,085 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by aesmith View Post
When I said "USBLIB" I should have said "LibUSB". Download from here, and don't worry that it just says 32 bit on the project page. The zip file has both 32 and 64 bit versions.

http://sourceforge.net/projects/libusb-win32/files/

If you just plug the programmer into a USB port, and look at Device Manager, is it recognised? If not, you probably need the usbasp drivers.
Thanks. But what does "32 bit and 64 bit" mean please? When I plug the tx. into the computer it recognises new hardware. On the link you gave me above, there are many files that can be downloaded. Do I need them all? If not, which one or ones do I download?
Sorry for the basic level questions.

Jim.

Beginning to realise I am seriously out of my depth here. I will have to pay someone to sort this out, or just go back to the standard software as supplied. This is, as long as it still works!
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Jim.Thompson; Jun 13, 2011 at 01:01 AM. Reason: Additional information
Old Jun 13, 2011, 01:32 AM
Entropy Happens!
Bellingen NSW Australia
Joined Aug 2008
6,085 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrootWitBaas View Post
maybe a bit late but the "product page" is here and the install instructions is liked from there.
USB drivers are here

Groot

Edit to reply below:
I was thinking that is why you did not link them, and that is why I did it, because I know the feeling when on the road.
I have succeeded in downloading the drivers! What do I do with them now?
I am still getting the "AVRdude did not finish correctly" indication when I try to install.

I just disconnected the USB cable, placed the battery back in the tx and turned it on. Nothing works now! So, it seems I can no longer go back to the original firmware!

Jim.
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Jim.Thompson; Jun 13, 2011 at 02:19 AM. Reason: additional information
Old Jun 13, 2011, 07:27 AM
I don't speak German ....Yet !
Germany, Baden-Württemberg, Weissach im Tal
Joined Dec 2010
774 Posts
what device is seen by windows when it is pluged in ? (right click my computer>properties>device manger > look for usbisp or libusb.

once installed correctly you should be able to read and write from eepe to the radio. you must write the FLASH to radio. Remember the firmware is in flash, the set-up is in eeprom.

I am running on OSX so I can not go into more details for windows, but if you need more help then I can check tonight at work on windows and see exactly what you should see, but please also tell us what version of windows you use.
GrootWitBaas is offline Find More Posts by GrootWitBaas