HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 28, 2011, 02:51 PM
Joined Apr 2010
564 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by s_mack View Post
I did switch to thicker wires because too many complaints about them breaking... but the thickness of the wires themselves shouldn't affect anything?!? When I first tested them here, they still fit through the hole the same with plenty of clearance. Is that not your experience aesmith? maybe post a picture?
Hi .. encouraged by you lot I had another go, and its fitted. The squeeze is due to the wire spacing at the attachment to the board - that makes them wider than the slot in the case. Its really just awkward because the wires need to be squeezed through and then the board slid down the keyways .. all without breaking the wires.

In any case, I was possibly going to locate the USB somewhere else, but if I'd ended up stuck then I was intending to open out the slot into the battery space a little.
aesmith is offline Find More Posts by aesmith
to remove ads between posts
Old May 28, 2011, 02:55 PM
Registered Loser
Canada, BC, Central Okanagan H
Joined Jun 2010
3,253 Posts
Maybe its just me... but I thought the way I did the USB was the slickest bit of my design I struggled for quite a while to figure out a way to get a USB port accessible to the user without having to modify the case.
s_mack is offline Find More Posts by s_mack
Old May 28, 2011, 03:12 PM
Joined Apr 2010
564 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by s_mack View Post
Maybe its just me... but I thought the way I did the USB was the slickest bit of my design I struggled for quite a while to figure out a way to get a USB port accessible to the user without having to modify the case.
Hey, don't listen to me. It IS really slick!
Old May 28, 2011, 06:18 PM
Naperville, IL
Joined Mar 2009
833 Posts
When I put mine in I remember having to trim the usb board a little (width wise) because it was a tight fit. But that was ok. It has never been loose.
gohsthb is offline Find More Posts by gohsthb
Old May 28, 2011, 09:15 PM
Registered Loser
Joined Jun 2010
3,253 Posts
There's also manufacturing tolerances - both in my board as well as the plastic tx case. I did design it to be a snug fit, but if my part is on the "big" side of the tolerance and the tx is on the "small" side, then "snug" could become "tight" and trimming might be necessary.
Old May 29, 2011, 12:57 AM
Design, Build, Crash?, Repeat
Monroe, CT
Joined Mar 2005
724 Posts
Definitely slick - even to the point of the angle on the wiring being just right. For me the board slid into that slot perfectly. Tight? Yes, buy it'll stay put. Unfortunately the BL doesn't seem to be working - although the programmer is. I'm hoping that despite repeatedly reading the instructions regarding which side of the panel was "up", that I (stupidly) installed it upside down. Will have to take it all apart again and gave a look. Overall a very neat product, Steven.

Regards,
Chris
Chris_K is offline Find More Posts by Chris_K
Old May 29, 2011, 01:01 AM
Registered Loser
Joined Jun 2010
3,253 Posts
Hi Chris. There's a troubleshooting guide here: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1432042

- Steven
Old May 29, 2011, 09:36 AM
Joined Apr 2010
564 Posts
Help .. I think I've fried my programmer!

It was all going so well until just now.

I plugged in the USB and fired up EEPE to play around with the programming. It came up with a error reading the EEPROM

"avrdude.exe: error: could not find USB device "USBasp" with vid=0x16c0 pid=0x5dc"

Hmm .. then I noticed smoke coming from the other end of the battery holder which continued even with the USB unplugged. I started ripping batteries out. One "corner" of the battery holder was melted, the spring squished right into the plastic. Weird. None of the batteries was hot or even warm. No burnt component smell from the transmitter. Had the battery holder shorted internally? Not that I could see after checking with a meter. Testing one thing at a time I have determined ..

(1) The radio powers up from USB and all the software seems alive and the backlight comes on
(2) The programmer isn't detected over USB
(3) Refitting the batteries and connecting the holder, the radio works as normal in every way I can think of testing, RF and everything.

Something definitely shorted to melt that plastic, and the only thing I can think of is could the USB connector have made contact with one of the brass rivets on the battery case? Maybe the action of plugging in the USB cable moving it into contact. With the benefit of wonderful hindsight, it looks like three of the four possible orientations of the battery case would have this risk. It doesn't totally make sense, as the battery case melted at the opposite end but its the best idea I have at the moment.

Any other ideas? Its really weird that a short would only overheat at one point and I can't really get my head around what current would flow where if this had happened. Its a pity I didn't note the orientation of everything at the time, but I was too concerned with stopping the meltdown.

Finally, what does anyone think is the chance of bringing the programmer back from the dead?

Thanks, Tony S
Old May 29, 2011, 10:17 AM
I don't speak German ....Yet !
Germany, Baden-Württemberg, Weissach im Tal
Joined Dec 2010
774 Posts
thirst thing I'd advice is a bit of tape to cover those nasty brass bits. If you make a short on on side the other side can melt.
Programming should be done with no battery, because every thing is powered from usb at this time.

about brining it back to live... what is the current symptoms?
does the programmer work (if battery pack removed)
does the tx work from battery pack (1st isolate those rivets with some tape)

Now I read your post more carefully and I see you have tested ....

have the programmer been detected before and does changing usb cable and port change any thing ?
GrootWitBaas is offline Find More Posts by GrootWitBaas
Old May 29, 2011, 10:24 AM
Joined Nov 2006
2,118 Posts
to update the firmware, the radio must be on, or off ?
wallaguest1 is offline Find More Posts by wallaguest1
Old May 29, 2011, 10:27 AM
Joined Dec 2010
774 Posts
it should be off for best results, it gets powered from usb so display will come alive.
Old May 29, 2011, 12:42 PM
Joined Apr 2010
564 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrootWitBaas View Post
Programming should be done with no battery, because every thing is powered from usb at this time.
Agreed, but of course the short could have occurred at any time not just while I was programming.
Old May 29, 2011, 01:09 PM
Joined Apr 2010
564 Posts
Quote:
have the programmer been detected before and does changing usb cable and port change any thing ?
Yes the programmer was working fine.

Anyway, your suggestion of trying a different USB port has FIXED IT !! I feel a bit silly, but here we go. I didn't notice any message on the PC when I connected in the past, but using a different USB port the PC came up with something like "VMware USB device connected". Yes, I had a VM running, and VMware had decided to allocate the programmer to the VM. Deselecting that, then running EEPE and it all works.

I suppose I was just too quick to fear the worst, just because smoke was pouring out!! Looks like I might have had a lucky escape.
Old May 29, 2011, 01:25 PM
Joined Dec 2010
774 Posts
well then I am happy for you.

Smoke is never good, and TBH those battery holders are not a good thing. Lucky it happened on a desk not with a model in mid air ....
Old May 29, 2011, 03:33 PM
Joined Apr 2010
564 Posts
Quote:
well then I am happy for you.
Thanks, I was really hacked off at what I thought I'd done. Long term I will be using a lithium pack, but meanwhile it should be easy enough to insulate the holder.