+1 on the styrofoam Idea.
If you get a postal worker angry enough even a Brinks truck is not enough
erazz is offline Find More Posts by erazz
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 18, 2010, 02:35 AM
Melbourne, Australia
Joined May 2006
6,407 Posts
Seems to me that if poor old Steve has to cut, place and tape 500 pieces of foam he will go nuts. I say 'custom box' and $44 price tag. Still great value, more professional presentation, fewer sad customers and less stress for Steve.
kgfly is offline Find More Posts by kgfly
Old Nov 18, 2010, 12:35 PM
Registered Loser
Canada, BC, Central Okanagan H
Joined Jun 2010
3,266 Posts
That's exactly it... I'd rather avoid that if I can. I might not have a choice though... now I'm told by the box company that their machines can't put two scores as close as I need them to keep the total height of the box < 2cm (the limit the post office has for the cheapest mailing option).

But then, maybe I can get a piece of foam cut for me in quantity. Ideally with an area punched out for the pins. Sort of like a tray that I can just sit the board in, and insert it into the bubble mailer with a total thickness just shy of the 2cm limit.

I'll look into it. No idea where to go for custom foam, but I'm sure Google can assist.

- Steven
s_mack is offline Find More Posts by s_mack
Old Nov 18, 2010, 01:18 PM
Naperville, IL
Joined Mar 2009
833 Posts
Try a home improvement store. The Home Depots near me have some white styrafoam that I think would work well. Also I don't think you will need holes pre cut in the foam for the pins. They should just push right in and make their own holes. Looking at one here it is "Poly Panel EPS insulation." From the picture it looks like it is used for insulation between wall joists against basement walls.

Here is some on Ebay $8.50 for 24 sheets 16" x 16" x 1/4"
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...=263602_304642
gohsthb is offline Find More Posts by gohsthb
Last edited by gohsthb; Nov 18, 2010 at 01:23 PM.
Old Nov 18, 2010, 01:29 PM
Registered Loser
Joined Jun 2010
3,266 Posts
The springs have a very low compression force so I doubt they will pierce the foam without compressing. The manufacturer says they should not be held in a fully compressed state. That's why I had to so carefully design the spacing of the board so that, when installed, the springs are compressed to the ideal one-half compression length.

I just tried it here with a piece of packing styrofoam and I had to press it quite hard to get the pins to pierce the foam. I can't tell for sure (since the foam is blocking my view) but I'm pretty confident that while it is sitting in the foam, the pins are fully compressed.

- Steven
Old Nov 18, 2010, 02:56 PM
60 years of RC flying
Canada, ON, Ottawa
Joined Feb 2006
16,971 Posts
With a simple template and a pointed object, it should be possible to punch the necessary holes in a few seconds. I appreciate the need for an efficient packing process, but this doesn't seem to me to be a major time issue. Probably less time than packing a bigger box with bubble wrap, peanuts or whatever and then taping it up.
Daedalus66 is online now Find More Posts by Daedalus66
Old Nov 18, 2010, 03:19 PM
Registered Loser
Joined Jun 2010
3,266 Posts
I can't say you're wrong... I'll give it a go and compare it with a custom made solution. And actually, I suppose I already have my template, don't I? I can just take one unit and call it a write-off and use it to stamp out the holes. Depending on the foam, it might be possible to even indent the foam with the shape of the board, which would be nice.

Thanks for the input everyone.

- Steven
Old Nov 18, 2010, 04:14 PM
Melbourne, Australia
Joined May 2006
6,407 Posts
Take a blank PCB, mount some nails in the holes where the pogo pins normally go and voila, a template that will easily punch a deep hole in the foam.
kgfly is offline Find More Posts by kgfly
Old Nov 18, 2010, 04:26 PM
Sunday flyer
Gdansk, Poland
Joined Aug 2007
177 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gohsthb View Post
A note on the cost of the transmitter:
Transmitter $55
8-channel receiver $10
S-mack programmer add-on $50 (includes shipping)
Hobby king shipping $40

Dx8 Specktrum 8-channel transmitter $429 (free shipping)
You've forgot the $15 for the FRSKY hack that will make up for the peace of mind of the flyers, unlike DSM2 owners

Michal
mikon is offline Find More Posts by mikon
Old Nov 19, 2010, 09:48 AM
Joined May 2010
40 Posts
You could offer some boards that don't have the pins. Then people who are happy to solder the wires directly can get a board without having to worry about pins being damaged in the post.

Alternatively, how about just putting a nylon spacer over each pin and then pressing the whole lot into foam? The spacers should keep the foam from compressing the pins.
SLATYE is offline Find More Posts by SLATYE
Old Nov 19, 2010, 03:07 PM
Registered Loser
Joined Jun 2010
3,266 Posts
I'm not going to make some boards with pins and some without. That basically makes my solderless solution only "solderless-if-you-take-a-shipping-risk". It doesn't make very good business sense to take the primary feature of my product and associate it with "if you want to chance it" Obviously I'm better off focusing on a solution to the problem.

The nylon spacers won't work as you say because the ring of the spacer would (with enough force) push into the foam but the hole of the spacer obviously would not... so the foam where the hole was, will still be there... and will still compress the pins. So unless I could find little "cups" instead of spacers... that's a no go. But thanks for the suggestion anyway!

After exploring the various options and playing around with the shipping calculators... I think the best option is also the simplest... use boxes and bubble wrap. It increases the cost of shipping for the customer, but not by as much as I figured it would. In most cases, it takes the cost of ground shipping from about $6 to about $8 and air shipping only moves from about $8 to $9. The more expensive options (XpressPost, Priority) go from expensive to super expensive, but I don't think anyone would ever choose those anyway. My biggest problem with this solution is the EXTREME over packaging I'm an environmentalist, more often than not, and seeing my tiny board in this big biox... it just looks wasteful. On the other hand, I have these boxes here already and I have a bunch of recycled bubble wrap.

So problem solved

- Steven
Old Nov 19, 2010, 04:10 PM
United States, NJ
Joined Jun 2004
1,746 Posts
Yeah,
Now you only have to figure out how to make them quick before the hoards stampede you down!
erazz is offline Find More Posts by erazz
Old Nov 19, 2010, 05:27 PM
S.E.Michigan
Joined Jul 2010
2,240 Posts
Thanks erazz and thanks s_mack, making a donation as we speak. Steve went way above and beyond to help me out on a new and useless 9x tx that had corrupt firmware. Also thanks to Lee who hung in there and made it happen after some minor issues (mostly user error on my part) and got a fresh er FW on there and it works awesome. To bad I could'nt sneak out of his house with the board still in there.! Install went straight forward.

Great product, highly recommend it and I have already pre-ordered my unit.

P.
wheelspinner20 is offline Find More Posts by wheelspinner20
Old Nov 19, 2010, 05:41 PM
Joined Sep 2009
391 Posts
ok i have an idea, get like a thin plastic sheet heat it let it form over the part and you got something to protect the pins.
losikid is offline Find More Posts by losikid
Old Nov 19, 2010, 06:08 PM
Joined Nov 2006
2,121 Posts
why not a molded foam for fit the pcb?
would be expensive make them in bulk? i guess not a lot, but i dont know for sure

wallaguest1 is offline Find More Posts by wallaguest1
Last edited by wallaguest1; Nov 19, 2010 at 06:20 PM.