HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 08, 2011, 09:13 PM
Australia, Lord Howe Island
Joined Jan 2010
1,011 Posts
HI everyone,

so, this morning I attempted to install my board and backlight, as per instructions. all seems to have gone well.

problem is , when i connect the usb to the tx nothing happens. ie.... nothing comes up on the screen of the tx. when i plug the battery pack in , and turn the tx on all i get is beep beep beep beep beep constantly. I have follwed the instructions here :

http://code.google.com/p/eepe/

but cannot get the firmware to flash. any idea's?

much appreciated.
jetbootz is online now Find More Posts by jetbootz
to remove ads between posts
Old May 08, 2011, 09:16 PM
Naperville, IL
Joined Mar 2009
833 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jetbootz View Post
HI everyone,

so, this morning I attempted to install my board and backlight, as per instructions. all seems to have gone well.

problem is , when i connect the usb to the tx nothing happens. ie.... nothing comes up on the screen of the tx. when i plug the battery pack in , and turn the tx on all i get is beep beep beep beep beep constantly. I have follwed the instructions here :

http://code.google.com/p/eepe/

but cannot get the firmware to flash. any idea's?

much appreciated.
Could you post the output you get when you attempt to program the Tx. And nothing ever comes up on the screen? You might want to check the ribbon cable that connects the screen to the main board. Check that it is installed correctly and fully seated in it's connector.
gohsthb is offline Find More Posts by gohsthb
Old May 08, 2011, 09:35 PM
Balsa addiction since age 3
Upstate NY
Joined May 2005
1,263 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wallaguest1 View Post
what is the power consumption of the backlight when on ?
I actually have not measured it (nor have I measured total current draw). The FD supposedly uses 40ma.
ScottSails is online now Find More Posts by ScottSails
Old May 08, 2011, 09:55 PM
Naperville, IL
Joined Mar 2009
833 Posts
I measured the current draw on my radio before:
Radio alone no s_mack board 50.6 mA
Radio with s_mack board 66.5 mA
with backlight turned on 102.5

And my different modules (this is the module draw by itself):
Eurgle Gen2 132.7 mA
Eurgle Gen3 117 mA
Spektrum DM9 130.4 mA
Old May 08, 2011, 09:57 PM
Registered Loser
Canada, BC, Central Okanagan H
Joined Jun 2010
3,253 Posts
Which revision board do you have gohst? I can't remember when you bought it.
s_mack is offline Find More Posts by s_mack
Old May 08, 2011, 09:58 PM
Joined Jan 2010
1,011 Posts
so, by moving all the switches on the tx to the forward ( I assume off ) position, I have gotten rid of the beep beep beep sound when powering on the tx. now I only have a completely blank ( dead ) LCD screen when I power it up.

I plugged the USB into the PC and it attempted to load usb drivers ( the windows installing USB device drivers thing at the bottom RHS of the screen ) but it came up with the " not installed and not working properly " sign.

please help

thanks
Old May 08, 2011, 10:01 PM
Joined Jan 2010
1,011 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gohsthb View Post
Could you post the output you get when you attempt to program the Tx. And nothing ever comes up on the screen? You might want to check the ribbon cable that connects the screen to the main board. Check that it is installed correctly and fully seated in it's connector.
oops sorry didnt see your reply. I have removed, reinstalled and reconnected the firmware upgrade board , incase a connector was not seated correctly or similar. still nothing on the LCD. I have removed and replace the ribbon cable connector, still nothing.

thanks for the prompt replies
Old May 08, 2011, 10:02 PM
Naperville, IL
Joined Mar 2009
833 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by s_mack View Post
Which revision board do you have gohst? I can't remember when you bought it.
I have one of your originals.
Old May 08, 2011, 11:34 PM
Joined Jan 2010
1,011 Posts
so, I have taken the add on board out of the Tx now, and put it back together as it was. Still nothing on the screen. best bet is that I have damaged the ribbon cable as I have bent it slightly during the install. This is not too much of a problem for me as I have the phoenix RC sim and the TX works fine without the function of the LCD screen on the sim, so its been put to sim only duty now.

I have a spare 9x V2 Tx. I installed the add on board into this one now, ( carefully ) and the LCD is working.

I cannot however seem to work out how to flash the firmware. please could someone write an idiots guide to how to connect and have the USB port recognise the tx.. I gave the " drivers " linked on the codee page a go and I do not understand them. when I connect the Tx and open eepee it says " flash eprom? " I click yes and the screen opens up but then nothing at all happens and the Tx just sits there. I think my PC cannot see the Tx. but I need a bit of help here as thats the best I can do

Thanks
Old May 09, 2011, 12:10 AM
Joined Nov 2006
2,118 Posts
Quote:
I measured the current draw on my radio before:
with backlight turned on 102.5

And my different modules (this is the module draw by itself):
Eurgle Gen3 117 mA
117+102.5= 219.5 mAh
ScottSails said:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottSails View Post
I have also done the trustfire 2400mah li-ion (protected cell) mod (2 cells as I use Fly Dream) and the radio is just so light compared to my other transmitter (Hitec with 8 cell nicad). For those interested, I get over 11 hours of actual transmit runtime (with backlight on, I stopped it at 7.1V, so there is more runtime).

so yes, this numbers fits pretty well,
2400/219.5=10.93 hours

in fact at 7.1v he still have mAh, so i guess maybe his FlyDream module got a lower power consumption,
wallaguest1 is offline Find More Posts by wallaguest1
Old May 09, 2011, 12:51 AM
Registered Loser
Canada, BC, Central Okanagan H
Joined Jun 2010
3,253 Posts
Quote:
I have one of your originals.
It used a little more power. Still not bad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetbootz View Post
so, I have taken the add on board out of the Tx now, and put it back together as it was. Still nothing on the screen. best bet is that I have damaged the ribbon cable as I have bent it slightly during the install. This is not too much of a problem for me as I have the phoenix RC sim and the TX works fine without the function of the LCD screen on the sim, so its been put to sim only duty now.

I have a spare 9x V2 Tx. I installed the add on board into this one now, ( carefully ) and the LCD is working.

I cannot however seem to work out how to flash the firmware. please could someone write an idiots guide to how to connect and have the USB port recognise the tx.. I gave the " drivers " linked on the codee page a go and I do not understand them. when I connect the Tx and open eepee it says " flash eprom? " I click yes and the screen opens up but then nothing at all happens and the Tx just sits there. I think my PC cannot see the Tx. but I need a bit of help here as thats the best I can do

Thanks
Hey Jet. Too bad you're having a bunch of troubles. Let's take a step back. Here are some pointers:
  • Any time you plug anything into your Windows PC - a printer, a camera, or the 9x programmer board - it needs drivers to work. Many common items, however, have drivers built-in to Windows already or Windows knows how to find them on the Internet and installs them for you, so you may not actually run into many situations these days where you have to install drivers. But for obscure things like the programmer board, you do.
  • There are many types of programmers out there, one of the most common being the open source "USBAsp" programmer. That is what the 9x programmer is. USBAsp uses a set of open source drivers called "LibUSB". For Windows, the official LibUSB drivers are found here. Awhile back I posted some instructions here.
  • Once you have the drivers installed and the programmer connected to your PC (ie. you've plugged in the USB cable) then you should be able to open up your computer's Device Manager (use Google if you don't know how to open Device Manager in your version of Windows) and confirm you have an entry for "LibUSB-Win32 Devices" with a sub-entry for "USBasp"

I hope that helps.
s_mack is offline Find More Posts by s_mack
Old May 09, 2011, 01:40 AM
I don't speak German ....Yet !
Germany, Baden-Württemberg, Weissach im Tal
Joined Dec 2010
774 Posts
@jetbootz
I had once a blank screen, and thought I bricked my radio. This happened when I flashed a wrong file. All I did to recover was re-flash with eepe and all was fine.
But from the description that you have beeps when all switches are not forward, it sounds more like the ribbon cable might be the problem.

Now about how to for eepe ...there are two things that can be done from eepe, one is flash the firmware, the second is eeprom. the later is the settings you program.

Now looking at the eepe interface, a picture says 1000 words. Any questions feel free to ask.

Remember it is advised the TX switch is off during programing, USB should power everything
GrootWitBaas is offline Find More Posts by GrootWitBaas
Old May 09, 2011, 06:17 AM
Joined Jan 2010
1,011 Posts
This really is a great community. Thanks very much for the prompt and accurate help. glad to report I have a new Tx firmware installed and running smoothly. Awesome piece of kit this little board !

Cheers
Old May 09, 2011, 06:37 AM
Joined Jan 2010
1,011 Posts
spoke to soon, can someone tell me where the backlight activation menu option is please ? the option on the smartiepants website installation instructions page does not seem to exist in my firmware. I downloaded the latest ER9x firmware...

thanks
Old May 09, 2011, 06:41 AM
I don't speak German ....Yet !
Germany, Baden-Württemberg, Weissach im Tal
Joined Dec 2010
774 Posts
From Memory on the MAIN radio setup - You have to assign a switch or timer to the Back light. Don't have my TX with me but sure you will find it
GrootWitBaas is offline Find More Posts by GrootWitBaas