HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 28, 2011, 01:02 PM
Belgium, Flemish Region, Oosterzele
Joined Dec 2001
5,484 Posts
I applied the fixes already, tried plugging in/out, no difference...

When using the -F parameter as suggested, I get this:
================================================== ===============================
Started AVRDUDE
/usr/bin/avrdude -c usbasp -p m64 -F -P avrdoper -U eeprom:r:/tmp/temp.hex:i
================================================== ===============================

avrdude: error: programm enable: target doesn't answer. 1
avrdude: initialization failed, rc=-1
avrdude: AVR device initialized and ready to accept instructions
avrdude: Device signature = 0x000000
avrdude: Yikes! Invalid device signature.
avrdude: Expected signature for ATMEGA64 is 1E 96 02

avrdude done. Thank you.

AVRDUDE done - exit code 1
WimH is offline Find More Posts by WimH
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by WimH; Apr 28, 2011 at 01:14 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 28, 2011, 02:05 PM
Naperville, IL
Joined Mar 2009
833 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by WimH View Post
avrdude: error: programm enable: target doesn't answer. 1
Ok sounds like the board needs to be reseated or something. I left the relevant error line above. As it says it does not think the target is communicating. This means that the software can contact the programmer just fine. But the programmer cannot contact the atmega64. S_mack somewhere has directions or tips on what to look for. I know some of them were:
1. try reseating the board. i.e. loosen the screws and wiggle it then tighten the screws back down.
2. make sure the screws are tight and the board is all the way down.
3. check that the pogo pins are straight
4. check for plastic caps on the ends of the pogo pins
5. clean the pads on the atmega board. Some boards seem to have a coating applied to them.
gohsthb is offline Find More Posts by gohsthb
Old Apr 28, 2011, 02:10 PM
Registered Loser
Canada, BC, Central Okanagan H
Joined Jun 2010
3,254 Posts
That about covers it. Just caution that screws shouldn't be over-tightened. Gently press down on the board near the screws... if the board moves (ie. a gap is formed between the board and the screw head) then tighten it to take up the slack.
s_mack is offline Find More Posts by s_mack
Old Apr 28, 2011, 05:03 PM
Belgium, Flemish Region, Oosterzele
Joined Dec 2001
5,484 Posts
Yeah, that seems to make sense. Board is tight with no slack, pins were straight, so cleaning seems to be the only option...Hope that will help.
WimH is offline Find More Posts by WimH
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: That elusive thermal...
Old Apr 28, 2011, 06:41 PM
United States, CA, Arcadia
Joined Jul 2010
138 Posts
EL Backlight not working

Hi all

I got my programmer board installed Monday night, flashed the firmware with no problem and reinstalled the original just to make sure I could. Everything works flawlessly except for the Backlight...it does not want to work. I have done the following:

Turned on light in er9x to use throttle switch, then rudder switch, and then turned on auto with 10 sec delay

Unplugged and replugged into the programmer board with the plug up and down (I know it does not matter, but it was one more thing I can rule out)

Uninstalled and reinstalled the programmer board and backlight - both white side up (towards foam) and white side down (towards glass).

Can anyone direct me on what to do next....I love the programmer and this is just a little annoyance I can live with if I have too

Thanks

Bill P
BillyP52 is offline Find More Posts by BillyP52
Old Apr 28, 2011, 08:36 PM
Joined Jul 2005
150 Posts
BillyP52

I had the same problem, s_mack sent me a fault-isolation procedure with pics (Steven - might be a good idea to post it, maybe here, or on your website, if it's not already posted?) My problem was a pin wasn't quite seated perfectly, or it was dirty. Cleaning the pins & re-seating the board solved the problem. The particular pin/pad is pretty small so I think it's easy to get misaligned. Try it (might take a couple more tries?), and I'll bet it'll start working.

Don
donglass is offline Find More Posts by donglass
Last edited by donglass; Apr 28, 2011 at 09:03 PM.
Old Apr 29, 2011, 01:23 PM
Registered Loser
Joined Jun 2010
3,254 Posts
You're right... I should post it. I've answered the same question so many times lol.

I'll get on that. I'll write up a new blog entry specific to troubleshooting the EL and I'll post a link here when I'm finished.

- Steven
Old Apr 30, 2011, 01:44 AM
Registered Loser
Joined Jun 2010
3,254 Posts
Whew! OK, finished with the EL troubleshooting guide.

- Steven
Old Apr 30, 2011, 08:20 AM
Firefox
USA, KS
Joined Oct 2005
1,040 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by s_mack View Post
What you're going to be doing is using your chosen software (I recommend eePe) to backup your firmware via my hardware. Make sense?

- Steven
Yes it does.

thanks
Firefox675 is offline Find More Posts by Firefox675
Old May 07, 2011, 03:15 AM
Romania, Ilfov, Corbeanca
Joined Mar 2011
16 Posts
Hi Steven,

What is the ETA of your new batch.

Thx
Mircea
ciulinm is offline Find More Posts by ciulinm
Old May 07, 2011, 04:35 AM
Registered Loser
Joined Jun 2010
3,254 Posts
should be around the 15th
Old May 08, 2011, 11:00 AM
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Aug 2006
1,959 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by s_mack View Post
Whew! OK, finished with the EL troubleshooting guide.

- Steven
Steven, something to add to the
"Uh-oh: its my EL panel" section!
Both of my recent (2) board orders had EL panel intermittent connections after installation and er9x flash. I narrowed it down to the EL panel connector connections on the[
panel wires. In my case the wires are attached by forcing them into the connector groves, telephone punch down style, not soldered. The symptoms gave the illusion that the wires may be bad at the EL panel "pads" but because of the wire stiffness and being short, it was not the case. The fix for both was simple and effective once I diagnosed it I just pulled the wires out of the connector, cut off 1/16 of an inch and pushed them back into the connector slots/groves with the tip of a small thin bladed screwdriver (carefully). Now both panels are rock solid and working again! I suspect that just installing them may be enough to cause this condition for some?
I hope this will help others before they get too deep into trouble shooting their panel not lighting.
Showmaster
showmaster is online now Find More Posts by showmaster
Last edited by showmaster; May 08, 2011 at 11:22 AM.
Old May 08, 2011, 03:33 PM
Registered Loser
Joined Jun 2010
3,254 Posts
I did test each one, but overall I don't think that IDC connector was a very good choice. The next batch is getting a different connector entirely and hopefully it works more reliably. Thanks for the feedback.
Old May 08, 2011, 05:19 PM
Balsa addiction since age 3
Upstate NY
Joined May 2005
1,264 Posts
I have to provide input on this firmware....

It is amazing... I fly a lot of converted sailplanes to electric. Almost all of these have a huge pitch up motion under full throttle (can only put in so much down thrust). With the ability to mix in down elevator to throttle to a curve of MY liking, it makes these so easy to control. The second thing is that the controls become sensitive while under power, having triple rates that vary with throttle position (I use something like 40, 75 pct) condition again makes this so nice. My original intent was to change the firmware to put in variable rates (as a function of throttle) - but I really don't need to as a result of this. Also, the expo (assign to each rate) really makes this just so nice.

I will say the EEPE is awesome and makes the visualization so much better. I have only used this transmitter on my test mule so far, but really like what I see. Too bad the quality of the 9x is a little rocky (really poor interconnect soldering) or I would recommend this to more people without hesitation.

I have also done the trustfire 2400mah li-ion (protected cell) mod (2 cells as I use Fly Dream) and the radio is just so light compared to my other transmitter (Hitec with 8 cell nicad). For those interested, I get over 11 hours of actual transmit runtime (with backlight on, I stopped it at 7.1V, so there is more runtime).

I suspect I will provide more feedback as I attempt to wear this unit out this summer

Really nice job Erazz!
And I would be remiss if I didn't thank s_mack as that board made it SO easy to install the firmware.
ScottSails is offline Find More Posts by ScottSails
Old May 08, 2011, 06:43 PM
Joined Nov 2006
2,118 Posts
what is the power consumption of the backlight when on ?
wallaguest1 is offline Find More Posts by wallaguest1