HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 23, 2011, 09:24 PM
S.E.Michigan
Joined Jul 2010
2,240 Posts
Firefox

Quote:
I tried searching this thread and will ask on the 9x thread too, but what is the visual difference between the V1 and V2 of this radio ?
Not positive, but there is some subtle differences inside the radio, and the v1 receivers were 2 piece one main and one sattelite rx. connected i think... I will try to find the pic of the main board differences. It on the 9x custom firmware thread.

Pat
wheelspinner20 is offline Find More Posts by wheelspinner20
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 23, 2011, 09:28 PM
Registered Loser
Canada, BC, Central Okanagan H
Joined Jun 2010
3,224 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Firefox675 View Post
I tried searching this thread and will ask on the 9x thread too, but what is the visual difference between the V1 and V2 of this radio ?

thanks
I gave you a link on the other thread for determining... but now I'm not sure if I understood the question. What do you mean by "visual difference"?

But let's back up anyway and define "V1" and "V2". Turnigy uses that term, but what does it really mean? They have sold V1 hardware as "V2" simply because it had an updated version of the stock firmware. No doubt, the firmware is probably on V204 or so, so there's no real correlation between the firmware version and the hardware version, which is what I think most people refer to when they say "v1" or v2". Unfortunately, you CAN'T go by what the retailers use when they sell the product! I think its safe to say that any radio purchased recently... it is V2. But the only way to tell is to open up the radio and take a look.

If by "visual difference" you mean appearance from the outside... there is no difference at all. If you mean by what you see on the screen... its an impossible question to answer because that depends on the firmware which has nothing to do with the hardware version. If you mean look of the circuit board... see the link I posted on the other form (here it is again)

- Steven
s_mack is offline Find More Posts by s_mack
Old Apr 23, 2011, 10:36 PM
Firefox
USA, KS
Joined Oct 2005
1,038 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by s_mack View Post
I gave you a link on the other thread for determining... but now I'm not sure if I understood the question. What do you mean by "visual difference"?

But let's back up anyway and define "V1" and "V2". Turnigy uses that term, but what does it really mean? They have sold V1 hardware as "V2" simply because it had an updated version of the stock firmware. No doubt, the firmware is probably on V204 or so, so there's no real correlation between the firmware version and the hardware version, which is what I think most people refer to when they say "v1" or v2". Unfortunately, you CAN'T go by what the retailers use when they sell the product! I think its safe to say that any radio purchased recently... it is V2. But the only way to tell is to open up the radio and take a look.

If by "visual difference" you mean appearance from the outside... there is no difference at all. If you mean by what you see on the screen... its an impossible question to answer because that depends on the firmware which has nothing to do with the hardware version. If you mean look of the circuit board... see the link I posted on the other form (here it is again)

- Steven
By visual difference I was meaning to the outside appearance.
So the "9x Add-on Board with built-in Programmer and EL Backlight" can be used with either version ?

Oh and thanks for the link to your site. I looked at the information there and it looks like the add-on board will work on the earlier version. But will the newer firmware ?

Thanks for the info
Firefox675 is online now Find More Posts by Firefox675
Old Apr 23, 2011, 10:37 PM
Firefox
USA, KS
Joined Oct 2005
1,038 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelspinner20 View Post
Firefox

Not positive, but there is some subtle differences inside the radio, and the v1 receivers were 2 piece one main and one sattelite rx. connected i think... I will try to find the pic of the main board differences. It on the 9x custom firmware thread.

Pat

thanks
Old Apr 23, 2011, 11:15 PM
USA, SE Wisconsin
Joined May 2009
2,375 Posts
As a reference this is my EL, pic taken with iphone.
crucial is offline Find More Posts by crucial
Old Apr 24, 2011, 12:06 AM
Registered Loser
Joined Jun 2010
3,224 Posts
Quote:
By visual difference I was meaning to the outside appearance.
So the "9x Add-on Board with built-in Programmer and EL Backlight" can be used with either version ?

Oh and thanks for the link to your site. I looked at the information there and it looks like the add-on board will work on the earlier version. But will the newer firmware ?

Thanks for the info
Actually, no... my add-on board will NOT work with the earlier V1 version. That's why I have the information on there to determine which version you have, so that you can confirm you have V2 hardware prior to making the purchase. Unless you bought it a long time ago, you probably have V2.

For V1 with my board you have to solder a connection differently. Provided you can hook a programmer up (my board or otherwise) then it doesn't make a difference in terms of firmware. You can use any firmware on any version.
Old Apr 24, 2011, 12:50 AM
Firefox
USA, KS
Joined Oct 2005
1,038 Posts
Quote:
For V1 with my board you have to solder a connection differently.
That's what I thought, not a big problem for me.

[QUOTE=s_mack;18053167Provided you can hook a programmer up (my board or otherwise) then it doesn't make a difference in terms of firmware. You can use any firmware on any version.[/QUOTE]

That's what I wasn't sure of.

Thanks for the response
Old Apr 28, 2011, 10:40 AM
Belgium, Flemish Region, Oosterzele
Joined Dec 2001
5,393 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by WimH View Post
Got my board a couple days ago. I am amazed at the quality, everything fits so nicely. Was a bit of a fumble to get all the TX's buttons to line up, but mounting the board itself proved to be a snap. And the usb connector does fit with the original battery tray. Nice work. Was a bit disappointed that I could not get backlight with the original software, but I intend to try another one anyway. Just need to download and install the stuff, will report back later...
Well, can't get it to work yet. When connecting the USB, it beeps all the time in regular intervals (very annoying). this is what I get when trying to download the software from the tx;

================================================== ===============================
Started AVRDUDE
/usr/bin/avrdude -c usbasp -p m64 -U eeprom:r:/tmp/temp.hex:i
================================================== ===============================
avrdude: Warning: cannot query manufacturer for device: error sending control message: Operation not permitted
avrdude: error: could not find USB device "USBasp" with vid=0x16c0 pid=0x5dc

AVRDUDE done - exit code 1
help?

edit: after setting the port to USB in the config file it's a little better:

Started AVRDUDE
/usr/bin/avrdude -c usbasp -p m64 -P usb -U eeprom:r:/tmp/temp.hex:i

avrdude: error: programm enable: target doesn't answer. 1
avrdude: initialization failed, rc=-1
Double check connections and try again, or use -F to override
this check.

avrdude done. Thank you.

AVRDUDE done - exit code 1

so I guess the beeps mean something is wrong, but what?
WimH is online now Find More Posts by WimH
Last edited by WimH; Apr 28, 2011 at 10:46 AM. Reason: extra info
Old Apr 28, 2011, 10:48 AM
Firefox
USA, KS
Joined Oct 2005
1,038 Posts
Quote:
Actually, no... my add-on board will NOT work with the earlier V1 version. That's why I have the information on there to determine which version you have, so that you can confirm you have V2 hardware prior to making the purchase. Unless you bought it a long time ago, you probably have V2.

For V1 with my board you have to solder a connection differently. Provided you can hook a programmer up (my board or otherwise) then it doesn't make a difference in terms of firmware. You can use any firmware on any version.

It probably says on this forum or yout web site, but I'll ask here anyway, with your system can the original FW be saved ?
Old Apr 28, 2011, 10:48 AM
Registered Loser
Joined Jun 2010
3,224 Posts
The beeping is normal. That's your radio's original firmware telling you that the voltage is below 9v or whatever its set to. Which it is, since USB only provides 4.7v. That's the point of this kit, to install custom firmware which, as one of its many benefits, allows you to change the alarm level and/or shut it up.

Anyway, it looks like your problem is that you haven't yet installed the drivers on your computer. Or (if you have installed drivers) that the programmer isn't being recognized (bad cable is one possibility).

So let's back up. Have you installed drivers yet? And are you using Windows? What version?
Old Apr 28, 2011, 10:57 AM
Registered Loser
Joined Jun 2010
3,224 Posts
Quote:
It probably says on this forum or yout web site, but I'll ask here anyway, with your system can the original FW be saved ?
That has nothing to do with my system, but yes. The Add-on board (hardware) facilitates communication between your radio (firmware) and your computer (software). But I have nothing directly to do with either the software or the firmware. What you're going to be doing is using your chosen software (I recommend eePe) to backup your firmware via my hardware. Make sense?

- Steven
Old Apr 28, 2011, 11:13 AM
Joined Dec 2001
5,393 Posts
Quote:

So let's back up. Have you installed drivers yet? And are you using Windows? What version?
Ahh, what drivers?
I followed the instructions for Eepe , Linux (I'm using Ubuntu 10.10)
Old Apr 28, 2011, 11:18 AM
Registered Loser
Joined Jun 2010
3,224 Posts
Right... well... Linux. OK, for that I'm going to be useless in helping you so hopefully someone else can. I don't know how hardware is recognized in Linux. From your error though, it appears your computer isn't aware that the programmer exists so you'll have to correct that.

- Steven
Old Apr 28, 2011, 11:21 AM
Joined Dec 2001
5,393 Posts
Ohh, thanks anyway. My Win7 PC died yesterday.... Maybe I'll try my portable later
Old Apr 28, 2011, 11:53 AM
Naperville, IL
Joined Mar 2009
826 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by WimH View Post
Ahh, what drivers?
I followed the instructions for Eepe , Linux (I'm using Ubuntu 10.10)
The drivers seem to just be built in under Linux. At least I don't remember installing any. I'm running Ubuntu either 10.04 or 10.10. If I leave my programmer plugged in something happens and I cannot access it. The same error message you are getting I think. Try unplugging the programmer wait 10 seconds plug it in and try again. Also there are some fixes that need to be implemented if you want to use the programmer as a normal user. They are detailed on the eepe code page http://code.google.com/p/eepe look under 'Fixes in Linux/Ubuntu'
gohsthb is offline Find More Posts by gohsthb