HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 19, 2011, 01:28 PM
Registered Loser
Canada, BC, Central Okanagan H
Joined Jun 2010
3,251 Posts
Its very much most likely the USB cable. perhaps a pin is loose, or broken... or its a strand still hanging around. I just want to mention this because I ran into it and it was frustrating trying to diagnose.... if you find no connectivity problems between the USB header and the board, then try it again while a USB cable is plugged into the header. I had one case where I didn't solder the GND pin well. Well enough that it was in contact while the cable was unplugged, but when plugged in the cable was exerting enough pressure on the loose GND pin to lift it from the trace. However, since I found that the first time... I've tested each and every cable plugged in and that *should* rule that out.

- Steven
s_mack is offline Find More Posts by s_mack
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 19, 2011, 01:31 PM
Registered Loser
Joined Jun 2010
3,251 Posts
If it is actually using the term "unrecognized" the that shouldn't be a driver issue in Win 7. But then it shouldn't let you choose any driver because it can't communicate with the device at all. When you plug a device in, the device should identify itself with Windows. "unrecognized" means it hasn't even gotten that far.
Old Jan 19, 2011, 01:36 PM
It's pronounced Caveman...
Reno, NV
Joined Nov 2009
437 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by phantom1500 View Post
just a thought...did you extract the actual folder (usbasp-windriver........) folder?

XP could not locate the driver files as the folder was from the download untill I saw the "extract entire folder" to the side of the open window, after that I selected the extracted source and I worked fine.
I hate to say this, because right after posting this you usually figure out you did something really stupid, and make a fool out of yourself...

I'm an IT technician by trade, MCSE certified when I was 16, currently MCITP:SA. I know how to install drivers, I know the problems USB devices sometimes have, and I'm 99.99% sure it's not a computer/driver issue. As I said, I've tried multiple drivers sets (all extracted) and it does not appear to show up. I even tried debugging the USB traffic, but it seems to escape the particular utility I'm using.
c4v3man is offline Find More Posts by c4v3man
Old Jan 19, 2011, 01:39 PM
I don't speak German ....Yet !
Germany, Baden-Württemberg, Weissach im Tal
Joined Dec 2010
774 Posts
mmm yes my mind was on XP ... think I should stay with helping OSX and XP users. I have not tried / used my windows 7 that much yet. He can however try to un-install the unrecognised Device, and the remove and wait 10-15 seconds and plug it back in, This should restart the wizard and can then rule out driver. I have seen this once before with a mouse plugged in and out to fast once, was unrecognised, and only after un-install did it work again correctly

Edit: Did not see the post above until I pressed submit
GrootWitBaas is offline Find More Posts by GrootWitBaas
Old Jan 19, 2011, 01:41 PM
Registered Loser
Joined Jun 2010
3,251 Posts
good advice.
Old Jan 19, 2011, 01:44 PM
Reno, NV
Joined Nov 2009
437 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrootWitBaas View Post
mmm yes my mind was on XP ... think I should stay with helping OSX and XP users. I have not tried / used my windows 7 that much yet. He can however try to un-install the unrecognised Device, and the remove and wait 10-15 seconds and plug it back in, This should restart the wizard and can then rule out driver. I have seen this once before with a mouse plugged in and out to fast once, was unrecognised, and only after un-install did it work again correctly

Edit: Did not see the post above until I pressed submit
Already did it (twice) yesterday. No luck. Rebooted, removed all power, etc. I've been very thorough on the PC side.

Thanks for the help though, sometimes it's the simple things you overlook.

BTW: The wizard never launches, it throws an error saying it can't recognize the device. I've seen it before a few times, and usually the device is dead.
Old Jan 19, 2011, 02:27 PM
USA, TX, College Station
Joined Aug 2010
240 Posts
Just suggestion but have you tested the usb cable? Try the cable with a different device, try a different cable with the tx.
TX_Winds is offline Find More Posts by TX_Winds
Old Jan 19, 2011, 02:40 PM
Reno, NV
Joined Nov 2009
437 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TX_Winds View Post
Just suggestion but have you tested the usb cable? Try the cable with a different device, try a different cable with the tx.
Since trying it this morning at the office, I have used 3 different USB to mini-USB cables, ranging from 6" to 6'.
Old Jan 19, 2011, 05:30 PM
Balsa addiction since age 3
Upstate NY
Joined May 2005
1,222 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by c4v3man View Post
Already did it (twice) yesterday. No luck. Rebooted, removed all power, etc. I've been very thorough on the PC side.

Thanks for the help though, sometimes it's the simple things you overlook.

BTW: The wizard never launches, it throws an error saying it can't recognize the device. I've seen it before a few times, and usually the device is dead.

I think you said windows 7 - 32 bit mode correct? Did you put it into "test"mode so that you could use an unsigned driver? I could not find a signed driver and this worked just fine. If you do not know what I am talking about, then maybe this is the ticket (or you in fact do have a signed driver )

I used a tool called driver signature enforcement overridder (dseo13b.exe). It is painless to set up but once in test mode, all worked well.

Scott (Win 7 64bit)
ScottSails is offline Find More Posts by ScottSails
Old Jan 19, 2011, 05:42 PM
Reno, NV
Joined Nov 2009
437 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottSails View Post
I think you said windows 7 - 32 bit mode correct? Did you put it into "test"mode so that you could use an unsigned driver? I could not find a signed driver and this worked just fine. If you do not know what I am talking about, then maybe this is the ticket (or you in fact do have a signed driver )

I used a tool called driver signature enforcement overridder (dseo13b.exe). It is painless to set up but once in test mode, all worked well.

Scott (Win 7 64bit)
My understanding (From windows vista training at least, which is what Win7 is) is that driver signing is only required for 64bit systems, and is optional on 32bit. So I don't believe that's the issue, as on a 32bit box it will simply warn you that it's unsigned.

Had the same problem with Win7-64 trying to run ppjoy and smartpropoplus... eventually gave up, even on test mode, and just installed Win 7 32bit... no problem since.
Old Jan 19, 2011, 06:10 PM
Upstate NY
Joined May 2005
1,222 Posts
Quote:
My understanding (From windows vista training at least, which is what Win7 is) is that driver signing is only required for 64bit systems, and is optional on 32bit. So I don't believe that's the issue, as on a 32bit box it will simply warn you that it's unsigned.

Had the same problem with Win7-64 trying to run ppjoy and smartpropoplus... eventually gave up, even on test mode, and just installed Win 7 32bit... no problem since.
Yes, I spent a few days setting up Win 7 64 (and relying on my trusty XP) but it does work. I think you are back to the USB interface check - I did find some solderjoints I overstressed. I had to use a camera to take a before and after soldering picture because I could not see that well with native poor eyesight for either inspection or soldering - good luck.
Old Jan 19, 2011, 06:24 PM
Reno, NV
Joined Nov 2009
437 Posts
One other thing I noticed is that the pogo-pin side of the board appears to have a cut in it. I'm not sure if this is intentional or not. If you can imagine, the cut is directly underneath L1 (on the pogo side of the board).

I'll check the bag the parts came in to see if there is a noticeable tear in the bag, but it looks like it was made with a knife, not just random chance. Not sure if this is part of the EL-driver fix...
Last edited by c4v3man; Jan 19, 2011 at 06:31 PM.
Old Jan 19, 2011, 06:30 PM
Upstate NY
Joined May 2005
1,222 Posts
Quote:
One other thing I noticed is that the pogo-pin side of the board appears to have a cut in it. I'm not sure if this is intentional or not. If you can imagine, the cut is directly underneath L1 (on the pogo side of the board).

I'll check the bag the parts came in to see if there is a noticeable tear in the bag, but it looks like it was made with a knive, not just random chance. Not sure if this is part of the EL-driver fix...
Steve can comment but that looks like the fix is in place. Power is now going to pin 1 of EL driver which I believe is the other black wire best I can tell looking at that from the back .
Old Jan 19, 2011, 06:32 PM
Upstate NY
Joined May 2005
1,222 Posts
Have you double checked all your connections on the USB connection (the little board that came with the kit that the USB cable plugs into?) Those little buggers are really hard to see...
Old Jan 19, 2011, 06:37 PM
Reno, NV
Joined Nov 2009
437 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottSails View Post
Have you double checked all your connections on the USB connection (the little board that came with the kit that the USB cable plugs into?) Those little buggers are really hard to see...
Will be checking tonight with a multimeter. They look kinda ok. Most have solder going from one side of the hole to the other side (through the board) but the GND wire (brown) only has solder on one side of the board. It should be fine, but might add a little more if it doesn't test solid. It's killing me that the multimeter is missing at the office here!!!