HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by Sandancer, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Nov 14, 2010, 01:20 AM
"Auntie Samantha"
USA, MO, Clever
Joined Dec 2009
4,728 Posts
Build Log
F4U Corsair: 1-Piece Wing

Now that the flaps are done, the servo sockets cut, the wiring ran for the Nav lights, and the holes cut for the Ma Duece guns, it's was time to glue the 2 wings together and make them a 1-Piece unit.

Because of the gull wing configuration, I picked to spots, one aft and one forward (as illustrated in thumb #1). I utilize (2) .3940" O.D. CF Tubing for spars, (1) 4" long for the aft location and (1) 8" for the LE location. To line up the holes on both halves I cut 2 pieces of 3/8" X 1/2" brass tubing and pressed them in the chosen location on one of the wings. I then lined the other wing up and squeezed the two together to leave an indexed impression in both wings. Knowing I was going to be using Gorilla glue with it's expansion properties, drilling the (4) 3/8" holes in the two wing halves didn't have to be in perfect alignment, but I did manage to get that process done to my satisfaction.

I then cut a 1/8" ply plate 2 1/2" X 3 5/8" to go in the base of the box for additional reinforcement and to serve as a foundation for the velcro I would use to secure the electronics I plan to mount in there.

After applying the GG in the spar channels and wing mating surfaces I secured the wings back on the fuse to insure a perfect alignment. To help corral the GG I ran some tape down the seams of the wings to subdue the GG expansion, and also put a strip of tape on the fuse to prevent any glue expansion from seeping out and sticking the two together.

I then did the proverbial 2 hour wait for the glue to dry. Once the glue was dry enough I removed the wings and applied the 1/8" X 2 1/2" X 3 5/8" plate in the base of the box on the inside of the wings.

I used 2 SS Socket Head Cap Screws 4-40 x 3" in the two front wing clamps, and 2 SS Socket Head Cap Screws 4-40 x 2" in the aft clamps.

This was a relatively easy mod to do, and will alleviate the stress of trying to transport the Corsair in the back seat!
Sandancer is online now Find More Posts by Sandancer
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Sandancer; Aug 17, 2012 at 06:02 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 15, 2010, 09:13 AM
Cape Coral, Fl
Joined Jan 2010
1,236 Posts
Gear covers

Hey Gary,

I had these templates that may or may not be a cool addition to your Corsair - thought I would pass these on.

Tom
Hink64 is online now Find More Posts by Hink64
Old Nov 16, 2010, 12:35 AM
"Auntie Samantha"
USA, MO, Clever
Joined Dec 2009
4,728 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hink64 View Post
Hey Gary,

I had these templates that may or may not be a cool addition to your Corsair - thought I would pass these on.

Tom
Thanks Tom! I am nuts about detail so I might find a use for those.
Sandancer is online now Find More Posts by Sandancer
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 20, 2011, 10:45 AM
The Netherlands, LI, Gennep
Joined Feb 2011
1,785 Posts
wrong thread. sorry.
struggleforlife is offline Find More Posts by struggleforlife
Last edited by struggleforlife; Nov 20, 2011 at 04:50 PM.