Old Nov 13, 2010, 07:02 PM
Build ALL the models O_O!
United Kingdom, England, Nottingham
Joined Oct 2009
837 Posts
Yippee!
My first finished scratch build!

Hi guys,

I know we see at least 500 cubs per week, but I wanted to share mine with you anyway. This is the first model I've built totally from scratch. It was built from a Kelvin Shacklock paln, originally a large rubber powered design but I made some modifications and converted it to RC. The main mods were to add two upper spars to reinforce the wing, this has really increased the wing's strength. I also added functioning near scale suspension, very little weight gain but adding alot of visual appeal I think. Power is a 1300Kv outrunner on 2s lipo. I grossly misjudged where the battery should be and it is now mounted far forward of the battery hatch I made, but it should stay in place. I won't be flying loops with this model anyway and the velcro should hold the battery in place well enough. Total weight is 358g (12 Oz ish) and I calculated the wing loading around 9oz/Sq. Ft which isn't bad but could be improved upon. I used Lightex for the covering which was a struggle, it doesn't have the give that Solarfilm has so the compund curves were very tricky - especially on the vertical stab. I'm not expecting her to be a world class flyer, and she won't survive a crash very well. However I really enjoyed building her and I'm already planning other builds - practice makes perfect! I'm hoping the weather will be fair tomorrow so I can fly her maiden, I'll post back pics and maybe a vid. Hopefully I won't return with a crumpled wreck. I've really got into building now, the satisfaction of seeing this finished is immense .

Will.
WLJayne is offline Find More Posts by WLJayne
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 13, 2010, 07:16 PM
United States, TN, Thompson's Station
Joined May 2004
195 Posts
Congratulations! That's a really pretty cub!

What covering did you use? And what did you use for the trim?

Someday when life slows down (ha!) I'd like to do something along that line. Right now I'm finding it hard to complete simple sport models with NO trim.

Nice!
tblount70 is offline Find More Posts by tblount70
Old Nov 13, 2010, 07:25 PM
Or current resident
USA, FL, Tampa
Joined Jul 2002
4,921 Posts
Nice job Will. You built a good looking model that should fly well.
Good luck with the maiden flight.

Oh, and welcome to the group of us that like to build our omodels.
There is a certain satisfaction seeing your creation take flight.
It's a feeling they just cant put in the box with an ARF.

Glenn
glewis is offline Find More Posts by glewis
Old Nov 13, 2010, 09:35 PM
The Hun in the Sun
Canada, BC, Comox
Joined Nov 2003
7,474 Posts
I never get tired of seeing airplanes that you don't pull out of a box! Nice job! There's no reason you should wind up with a crumpled wreck, I bet she'll be a beaut in the air.
vonJaerschky is offline Find More Posts by vonJaerschky
Old Nov 13, 2010, 09:38 PM
The "pro" in procrastination
Canada, ON, Kingston
Joined Mar 2004
2,899 Posts
Will,

500 cubs a week or not, yours is a real looker. Very nice job! Of course, we all want to know who "JE55I" is...

Steve
Steve85 is offline Find More Posts by Steve85
Old Nov 13, 2010, 10:12 PM
Now in TN!
Chapel Hill, TN USA
Joined Apr 2001
24,779 Posts
Very nice work Will. Beautiful Cub.

J
J Morgan is offline Find More Posts by J Morgan
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: OV-10A Bronco from Palmer Plans
Old Nov 14, 2010, 06:39 AM
Joined Oct 2009
837 Posts
Thanks all! Tblount, I used LighTex and SolarTrim. J-E551 is my wonderful girlfriend Jessica. She wants to fly too and I built this for her to train on. The weather looks ok today, overcast but dry so far. Time to for the maiden soon!

Will.
Old Nov 14, 2010, 08:06 AM
South Africa
Joined Feb 2009
2,918 Posts
Nice build there, I'm sure the maiden will go well.
owlsabie is online now Find More Posts by owlsabie
Old Nov 14, 2010, 10:11 AM
Two left thumbs
Muncie, IN
Joined Sep 2006
4,249 Posts
Here's one more voice sying congratulations! As VonJ said, there's that satisfaction factor that ARF people just don't understand. I'm happy to see that you do!

Geoff
GeoffinIN is offline Find More Posts by GeoffinIN
Old Nov 14, 2010, 12:36 PM
Single-task at best...
Telford, UK
Joined Feb 2000
7,509 Posts
Will,

Looks great, and just right for those long, lazy flights in calm weather.

tim
tim hooper is offline Find More Posts by tim hooper
Old Nov 14, 2010, 02:08 PM
Joined Oct 2009
837 Posts
Well, bad news guys. She turned out to be incurably tail heavy and bit the dust hard after getting caught in a gust. I thought she was balanced but it sure didn't feel like that. The nose section is a total wreck. I think at 12 Oz she was too heavy, takling off was very very sluggish.

I'm bitterly dissapointed but I was prepared for it. I guess I just didn't have the experience to do a conversion properly. I'm not sure whether I will bother to do the repairs. The guts would probably be better used in a foamie - I really need the flying experience. Hopefully next time I will be a more experienced pilot and my creations will last!

I wanted to enter funbuild 4, but this has knocked my confidence I'll admit. I'll keep building but I just need way more stick time first.

Bugger, eh.

Will.
Old Nov 14, 2010, 02:22 PM
Or current resident
USA, FL, Tampa
Joined Jul 2002
4,921 Posts
Oh NO! That suks man.
Don't be too discouraged, it happens to all of us.
Look at it this way, you built a good looking model and learned something about the conversion process and the placement of the CG. Did you use the free flight cg location? That is usually way too far back for rc use.

Let it sit for a while and I like to say 'marinate' while you do something else.
Once the dissapointment of the crash wears off, you will see it in a different perspective and the damage usually dosen't look as bad. A couple of hours with some thin ca and a few bits of covering and it could be airworthy again.

You really should consider repairing it to use as a learning tool. Maybe repower it with a heavier motor to aid in moving the cg forward.
We're with ya buddy, whatever you decide to do.

Glenn
glewis is offline Find More Posts by glewis
Old Nov 14, 2010, 02:27 PM
Joined Oct 2009
837 Posts
Cheers Glenn, I may do that. I usd the CG marked on the plan, but I think that the weight was the main issue. The 9oz wing loading may have been simply too much. As you said once the dissapointment wears off I'll take a look at it. A lighter battery and motor may breath life into it again.

The main thing is that I built it and finished it. Whether it ever flies again or not I now have a whole new world of modelling possibilities open to me. It'll take more than this to stop me building!

Will.
Old Nov 14, 2010, 02:28 PM
Two left thumbs
Muncie, IN
Joined Sep 2006
4,249 Posts
Don't be deterred, Will - enter Funbuild 4! The crew here will give you all the help you need to succeed. Sure, it's a contest, but it's cameraderie too!

I'd enter myself if I had a building space set up, but since I've just moved 2200 miles, and all my modeling stuff's in boxes, all I can do is cheer the rest on from the sidelines. I'll be happy to cheer you on!

As your your girlfriend's namesake being too heavy in the tail, I'll make no comment!
GeoffinIN is offline Find More Posts by GeoffinIN
Old Nov 14, 2010, 07:59 PM
United States, CA, Garden Grove
Joined Oct 2000
12,236 Posts
Pshaw!! Will, the nose should be easy enough to rebuild out of 1/4" sheet balsa, etc. which will add a bit of weight to the nose. Make sure that you build in some down and right thrust in the new motor mounting and arrange so that prop shaft comes out centered in the nose hole. Better to have a new model be a little nose heavy and adjust cg as needed after the maiden flight. Sounds as if you are a little too concerned about weight unless your model is way under-powered. You might consider using a smaller diameter prop and going to a 3S lipo if you need more power. Check amp draw to avoid overheating motor or speed control. I have resurrected many model with a mangled nose.
E-Challenged is offline Find More Posts by E-Challenged