HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 13, 2010, 03:48 PM
cincinati, oh
Joined Jul 2001
201 Posts
Discussion
Spektrum v. Futaba

Ok, so i posted a thread about getting back into R/C and wanting a new radio...great answers..lead to lots of reading. Almost all my stuff [non 2.4] is futaba...so i biased that way..but I have to admit it seems that there is a lot more spektrum stuff out. Is it just me??? also, as far as compatability strikes me that there are a lot of "grey" market spektrum stuff but not futaba. Also lots of spektrum compatable stuff, but not futaba. Is it just me or is this sorta true?? Also, if i were to go with spektrum, will all my futaba servos, wire connectors, extensions etc work with the new tx/rx??? thanks
ramw5p is offline Find More Posts by ramw5p
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 13, 2010, 04:20 PM
Illinois
Joined Sep 2001
23,061 Posts
Your servos and other items will work with Spektrum and JR. You will need to trim the little tab off the connectors, that that's pretty easy to do as you convert the model.

We (I work for Spektrum) like to see that there's so much more available from us, everything from super micro indoor equipment right on up to 12-channel receivers with redundant power systems.

Andy

BTW, welcome back to RC!
AndyKunz is offline Find More Posts by AndyKunz
Site Sponsor
Old Nov 13, 2010, 04:30 PM
Intercepting The Localizer
Joined Jan 2008
67 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ramw5p View Post
Ok, so i posted a thread about getting back into R/C and wanting a new radio...great answers..lead to lots of reading. Almost all my stuff [non 2.4] is futaba...so i biased that way..but I have to admit it seems that there is a lot more spektrum stuff out. Is it just me??? also, as far as compatability strikes me that there are a lot of "grey" market spektrum stuff but not futaba. Also lots of spektrum compatable stuff, but not futaba. Is it just me or is this sorta true?? Also, if i were to go with spektrum, will all my futaba servos, wire connectors, extensions etc work with the new tx/rx??? thanks
Do some serious research before buying another brand/system of 2.4 radio... DSM/DSM2 vs. FASST/FHSS

If you've got an airplane worth over $200, I'd go with a Futaba, Airtronics or a HiTech 2.4 radio that uses the FHSS/FASST method of operation in the 2.4 RF spectrum of frequencies.

I can certainly offer you links of the differences (in PM only)... It's better to make an educated purchase. Let me know.
FILE IFR is offline Find More Posts by FILE IFR
Last edited by FILE IFR; Nov 13, 2010 at 08:05 PM. Reason: spelling/punctuation
Old Nov 13, 2010, 05:22 PM
A man with too many toys
United States
Joined Feb 2001
17,537 Posts
Futaba 2.4 is better quality than Spektrum so why not just get Futaba. I have a 7c-2.4 and the new 8FGH which in an incredable radio (see the big thread). Spektrum does not have SD storage card, ball bearing sticks, or free user firmware upgrade capability like the 8FG does.
RC Man is online now Find More Posts by RC Man
Old Nov 13, 2010, 05:32 PM
Hitec/Multiplex USA
Poway, California, United States
Joined Sep 2000
4,194 Posts
Seriously RC Man!?!?! 12,591 posts and you don't know that the DX8 has all of those things.

The main radios in competition right now for the middle/high end market ($400+ range) are the Futaba 8FG, Spektrum DX8, Airtronics SD-10G and the Hitec Aurora 9 (See the MASSIVE 739 page thread!)

Mike.
MikeMayberry is offline Find More Posts by MikeMayberry
Old Nov 13, 2010, 05:47 PM
Where is the lift?
USA, AZ, Phoenix
Joined Nov 2005
6,355 Posts
Spent several years with Spektrum. It is a gamble so if you like to take chances, go with Spektrum. You may have the best luck or you may not. Futaba FASST has a much better record of reliability. I have been using it for just over a year with no issues at all. Hitec seems to be very reliable also. Airtronics has been having issues but they are working on it. Not an easy choice.

Charlie
cptsnoopy is offline Find More Posts by cptsnoopy
Old Nov 13, 2010, 06:33 PM
USA
Joined Sep 2003
967 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cptsnoopy View Post
Spent several years with Spektrum. It is a gamble so if you like to take chances, go with Spektrum. You may have the best luck or you may not. Futaba FASST has a much better record of reliability. I have been using it for just over a year with no issues at all. Hitec seems to be very reliable also. Airtronics has been having issues but they are working on it. Not an easy choice.

Charlie

Let's see your facts .

Opinions are nice but still opinions.
If you make seemingly 'factual' statements then you should share your factual base with us.

I don't think you have anything other than an 'opinion' and a bias to relate.

Mike Mayberry's post is accurate and he represents HiTec !!!
Let's see you do the same.
onewasp is offline Find More Posts by onewasp
Old Nov 13, 2010, 06:41 PM
Suspended Account
Russian Federation, Sakha, Yakutsk
Joined May 2006
2,978 Posts
Spektrum's a crash waiting to happen...

Go for Hitec, Futaba, Airtronics...

Because Spektrum currently has the most failure-prone transmission scheme, they specialize in selling 'toys' ie. Bind & Fly stuff to entice folks to stay brand-loyal.

One nice point in fact: Spek uses chips commonly utilized in PC keyboards and mice.

Once they get the huevos to move to a hopping system with architecture specifically engineered for RC-use, then all bets are off... But that's not now, that's in some nebulous 'future'...
FrogChief is offline Find More Posts by FrogChief
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Nov 13, 2010, 06:56 PM
Joined Feb 2008
2,688 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrogChief View Post
Spektrum's a crash waiting to happen...
My wait has been about 3 years and ~4000 flights so far.

Quote:
One nice point in fact: Spek uses chips commonly utilized in PC keyboards and mice.
Using/reusing well established and debugged parts is always an engineering plus.
Dave H. is offline Find More Posts by Dave H.
Old Nov 13, 2010, 07:05 PM
Suspended Account
Russian Federation, Sakha, Yakutsk
Joined May 2006
2,978 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave H. View Post
My wait has been about 3 years and ~4000 flights so far.

Using/reusing well established and debugged parts is always an engineering plus.
Either way, folks are better off protecting their investments with more reliable gear.
FrogChief is offline Find More Posts by FrogChief
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Nov 13, 2010, 07:11 PM
Joined Feb 2008
2,688 Posts
Well, according to the last printed issue of RC Reports, Spektrum/JR tested best, with Futaba a pretty close second, and Airtronics a very distant third. This was based on having up to 50 other mixed brand 2.4GHz transmitters operating closer to the plane than the controlling transmitter, in normal flying and range test conditions as well as full strength range testing using full size planes with servos mounted on them.

The Hitec wasn't out then. Do we have a more thorough and up-to-date test than that one?
Dave H. is offline Find More Posts by Dave H.
Old Nov 13, 2010, 07:33 PM
USA
Joined Sep 2003
967 Posts
Quote:
Either way, folks are better off protecting their investments with more reliable gear.

Simply more wind . Right?

Facts are getting very lonesome here .

Nothing wrong with having a personal bias, --- just don't present it as a
fact.

If you accept user expenditures of personal assets for RC equipment as a reliable measure - they put their money where there preferences (biases) were - then the answer today would clearly be DSM2 due to the population.

BUT, that isn't 'any sort' of scientific fact really it is simply their considered 'vote' as to what is best in their eyes.

It IS however more substantial then "poster proclamations" which here have been presented as factual, which they are not --- no data to this time submitted .

Have a bias; have a personal preference: that's OK. But don't wrap it in "FACTUAL" clothes when it clearly is not anything of the sort.
onewasp is offline Find More Posts by onewasp
Old Nov 13, 2010, 07:44 PM
どうもありがとうミスターロボット
United States, IL
Joined Jul 2009
3,063 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrend View Post
This poll is kind of interesting: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1117638

Using data from that poll to compare the main brands of 2.4GHz signal technology and their cumulative reliability we get the following percentages of fail safe free operation:
  • Hitec 90.9%
  • Futaba 89.7%
  • Airtronics 87.5%
  • Assan 66.7%
  • Spektrum 65.2%
  • XPS 63.2%

In particular, notice the significant gap between Airtronics, Futaba, Hitec, and Assan, Spektrum, XPS.
How much weight this data holds is of course open to interpretation...
Wrend is offline Find More Posts by Wrend
Last edited by Wrend; Jan 27, 2011 at 07:26 PM. Reason: Updated
Old Nov 13, 2010, 07:51 PM
Joined Jan 2008
67 Posts
At the field last week.....

Pilot #1 Hey Bud, what happened?

Pilot #2 (holding a crashed plane) I crashed hard, no signal.. I got a lock-out... I think. I'll check my tattle-tale data device, these little gems tell you what happened to your signal.

Pilot #1 Hmm? That's nice, but that's an ODD feature. Anyway, are your batteries charged?

Pilot #2 Yes, they're fully charged.

Pilot #1 Well, I hate to say it to ya, but I think your Spektrum Wrecked 'em.

Pilot #2 I think you're 100% accurate about that. By the way... I hear Futaba has a good, honest and reliable radio. I'm gonna try one out.... You always have no problems, that must be a nice feeling.

Pilot #1 Good move Bud, good move. Just remember buddy, "Buy Cheap and You'll Buy Twice".

Let the flames begin....
Last edited by FILE IFR; Nov 13, 2010 at 08:09 PM.
Old Nov 13, 2010, 07:57 PM
Joined Jan 2008
67 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave H. View Post
Well, according to the last printed issue of RC Reports, Spektrum/JR tested best, with Futaba a pretty close second, and Airtronics a very distant third.
Tested 'Best" in terms of what?... it's reliability? If that's the case then the report is PURE HOGWASH.