SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Nov 13, 2010, 02:22 PM
Its only a model.
United States, MI, Clinton Township
Joined Nov 2004
499 Posts
Build Log
Tug Victory 1/32 scale

I've recently started work on a model of the vessel I currently work on, the Tug Victory. Built in 1980 by McDermott Shipyard in Amilia, LA. She is 140' x 43', 505 GRT, 8000 HP. (the second most powerful tug on the lakes, supassed only by the Joyce L. VanEnkevort) She began her life pushing the tank barge Texas along the East Coast and Gulf of Mexico. The Victory and her twin sister Valiant were pioneers of running large 'deep notch' tug/barges in coastal trades. Some interesting reading about the Victory and Valiant on saltwater can be found in the book 'On Tugboats' by Virginia Thorndike. In 2006 she was brought to the Great Lakes and modified to include a 'Hyrdraconn' ATB pin system, additional staterooms and a higher upper pilothouse to see over the unloading system on her barge. In late 2007 she was paired with the Barge Lewis J. Kuber while her normal tug, the Olive L. Moore, was in the shipyard for upgrades. Since the start of the 2008 season on the lakes she has been paired with the Barge James L. Kuber, just converted from the Steamer Reserve. When pinned into the notch of the James L. the pair have an overall length of 815'6". I have been on the Victory since 2008 when she was paired with the James L. Kuber, prior to that time i worked on the Steamer Reserve since 2006 and stayed with her thru her conversion into the James L., so this boat in her viarious forms has been my home for a number of years.

I am doing all the work on this model while aboard and have setup a work area on the barge. The nice thing about this is every drawing of this boat i have access to, and can go outside and measure things if need be. The downside is i don't have all the tools i am used to having here. In 1/32 scale she comes out at a large 52.5 inches. I hope to have the hull done by the time we lay-up for the winter in late december. Aside from they standard working props and rudders i plan on having working lights, radar antenna and pin system.

Updates maybe slow as internet signal out here on the lakes isn't always the best for uploading photos.
Tregurtha1013 is offline Find More Posts by Tregurtha1013
Last edited by Tregurtha1013; Nov 13, 2010 at 02:45 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 13, 2010, 10:36 PM
Taking care of the pond.
USA, CA, Fresno
Joined Apr 2004
7,278 Posts
Very interesting, I'm watching.
MILLERTIME is offline Find More Posts by MILLERTIME
Old Nov 13, 2010, 11:10 PM
Ken-Aurora,Co
Aurora, Co
Joined Apr 2008
248 Posts
Me too
ken orme is offline Find More Posts by ken orme
Old Nov 14, 2010, 12:19 AM
Grumpa Tom
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Sep 2003
23,118 Posts
This is awesome!
Kmot is online now Find More Posts by Kmot
Old Nov 14, 2010, 02:28 PM
Its only a model.
Joined Nov 2004
499 Posts
Pin box

Managed to get a couple hours in on her today after my watch. Still shaping the bow section, mainly around the pin box. This area is proving to be a pain. If I had it to do over again i'd shape the hull without them and add them on after the fact. I made a few mistakes where i took a touch too much foam off. I'll just have to correct them with some putty. I don't have any onboard right now, so i've ordered some from our grocrey man. By the time i get this thing built i'll have put together a rather complete model building shop on the barge.

Currently unloading in Windsor, ON.
Last edited by Tregurtha1013; Nov 21, 2010 at 08:14 PM.
Old Nov 14, 2010, 08:54 PM
Nickel Belter
Northern Ontario
Joined Jun 2009
865 Posts
Wow, are you planning to build the Kuber barge to go along with it? That's going to be one serious model.
ZZ56 is offline Find More Posts by ZZ56
Old Nov 15, 2010, 07:25 AM
Its only a model.
Joined Nov 2004
499 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZZ56 View Post
Wow, are you planning to build the Kuber barge to go along with it? That's going to be one serious model.
No, just the tug at this scale. The barge would be something like 22' in 1/32. Someday i'd like to do both the tug and barge in a smaller scale, something like 1/144 or 1/160 (N scale). My experiance with my HO scale Paul R. Tregurtha (11.5') has taught me anything that is so large that it needs to break apart in sections to fit in my truck is really too big to be working on.
Old Nov 16, 2010, 09:39 AM
Its only a model.
Joined Nov 2004
499 Posts
2 steps ahead, 1 step astern

Managed to work on her a bit yesterday after watch. With the way this foam sands i was not happy with the way the pin box was being blended into the hull at all. As i mentioned in a previous post, if i had it to do over i'd add them on after the fact, and thats what i decided to do yesterday. I cut them totally off. The plan is to shape the hull without them and add them afterward. I think i may cast them out of resin or something, not sure yet. Will work a bit more on her this afternoon after watch.

Just departed Calcite, MI bound for Conneaut, OH.
Old Nov 17, 2010, 08:05 AM
United States, MI, Hillsdale
Joined Apr 2008
631 Posts
It probably will be easier to get the right hull shape with out them in the way.
Any idea how late in the year you guys will be able to go this year?
Patric
PatricMichigan is offline Find More Posts by PatricMichigan
Old Nov 17, 2010, 02:33 PM
Its only a model.
Joined Nov 2004
499 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PatricMichigan View Post
It probably will be easier to get the right hull shape with out them in the way.
Any idea how late in the year you guys will be able to go this year?
Patric
Yes, its much easier without the pin boxes in the way. Adding them after is the way to go. Their is also a small skeg on the centerline by the props, I'll be doing the same thing there.

We usually layup for winter in late december when the stone loading docks shut down as that accounts for almost all of what we haul on this boat. The soo locks are open every year until jan 15, so the ore trade runs until then.

At anchor off Detroit waiting on water levels. Will try to post a pic or two of the progress later.
Old Nov 20, 2010, 07:59 AM
Its only a model.
Joined Nov 2004
499 Posts
Made some decent progress over the last few days. The bow section is all but shaped and the bottom side of the stern is shaped as well. The stem needs some more refinement still, but that won't take much. Once that is done I think i'm going to join the two sections, sand the sides of the stern into shape and last shape the fantail.
Old Nov 21, 2010, 07:31 AM
Its only a model.
Joined Nov 2004
499 Posts
I finished shaping the stem yesterday afternoon, and joined the two sections. I'll start shaping the sides of the stern next. The area where the two sections join needs a little attention to smooth the transition.

I've got fiberglassing supplies coming to the boat now, thanks to a buddy of mine who is going to West Marine today to pick things up. Will drop them at the Mailboat in Detroit to be put aboard. We'll be back down that way in about 20 hours.
Old Nov 21, 2010, 09:04 AM
United States, MI, Hillsdale
Joined Apr 2008
631 Posts
wow... great plans!
PatricMichigan is offline Find More Posts by PatricMichigan
Old Nov 21, 2010, 10:42 AM
Grumpa Tom
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Sep 2003
23,118 Posts
Ditto!
Kmot is online now Find More Posts by Kmot
Old Nov 21, 2010, 06:57 PM
United States, WA, Seattle
Joined Oct 2009
41 Posts
Love those hull lines, and amazed at the detail and size of them in the plans.
KeriMorgret is offline Find More Posts by KeriMorgret